What funny/interesting thing happened in your life today?

Ultimate Steve

6 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

American audience

5 hours ago, DDE said:

lawn decoration

You guys missed my speculation about Texas!  I know folks there who privately  own and fly Cobra attack helicopters and there's several places where you can drive and shoot various generations of tanks for fun.

Also the guy who paid SX for the orbital flight appears to own RU military jets. 

Point being that America is a funny place where the rich can enjoy odd pastimes... and Texas is friendly to such toys!

Specific to @kerbiloid‐ We'd have already gotten anything important while it was in Poland,  just like RU and CN got to look at the SF helo we left behind in Pakistan (th games Nations play...)

It's just an odd thing to leave unattended in a truck stop and clearly someone climbed all over it, busted it open and took pictures while it was there.  (Had it been something of interest to the military, a couple of armed fellas would have been sleeping on it!  So to me it is clearly civilian owned... even if the speculation is that it's headed to Maryland.   Which I might point out has its own ports, so going through Louisiana is the long way!)

My gf has a "bad hobby (absolute kidding)": going to gym nearly every day. And she told me today there's a guy called himself Changshu Arnold - who using literally hell of drug for muscle.

Can't find English introducing video at YouTube, but I got one in English by Greg talking about him

"This retarded dosing criterion: feeling full or not"

Sorry Schwarzenegger

Edited by steve9728

So Im doing a flight from my home city to New Orleans. Its the first flight ive done in a while. I just learned how rust covered I am. I nearly made a fatal error. Im really really happy I was on a fairly long straight leg when I made this error. When I climb VNAV and LNAV are turned on so my autopilot and fmc can talk to keep course and various restrictions on climb or descent honestly. I reached FL370 and turned off LNAV instead of VNAV and wondered why i was getting a CWS alert on my PFD. Well um ya you kinda get that when you turn off LNAV and still have AP and the FD on… I wanted VNAV off. Fixed it with about 15NM before my next waypoint and course change. Alls well now, my 737-700 is cruising along at FL370 at 0.73 mach with roughly 85 knots tail wind. 

VNAV: Vertical Navigation

LNAV: Lateral Navigation

AP: :) 

FD: Flight Director

FMC: Flight Management Computer

PFD: Primary Flight Display

CWS: Crew Wheel Steering

I just finished episode 56 or so of campaign 3 of critical role and started watching some dash cam videos. This one clip just further confirms for me why i wont ever own a tesla. In the model 3/y it seems it has a “feature” called Obstacle-aware acceleration. This “feature” seems to handicap the driver in emergency situations like being in traffic at a light when a distracted driver from the rear is on a collision course but you have a clear path out to right or left but a car ahead. It seems this “feature” cuts your ability to do the one thing you NEED to get out undamaged, accelerate up and out. This “feature” if it senses an “obstacle” ahead it limits throttle. I find it interesting tesla wants to handicap defensive actions in a way that seems to ensure you get hit. Interesting and sad. But thats my opinion, but it seems the clips submitter agrees with me or perhaps i agree with the submitter? But ill quote the submitter:

“This crash would’ve been entirely avoided (though other driver was still clearly at fault) if I was in full control of my vehicle. Very upset.”

as i said, interesting

I have a friend, one of the best of mine that our parents are friend, are neighbours and grew up with. Ever since he was a kid, this guy has had dreams of joining the PLA and the police - even a bit paranoid sometimes. After we graduated from high school about six or seven years ago and he was accepted into the police academy, he chose to join the PLA first. Two years later he retired from the border and entered the police academy he had always dreamed of. He graduated last year to join the basic police force. Then this guy who thinks about catching some serious crime suspects everyday get in the reality these couple of months: Almost all of his days consist of working with his mentor in various neighbourhoods and doing the odd piece of work such as discourage fighting between the couples or someone get drunk, and dissuading some people from being scammed by telecommunication.

Just had long lost bbq with that guy and other friends. Around 90% of the time he's complaining about when he's going to get a suspect in big case. "Even a mugger would be better!" Luckily, the prohibition of alcohol within the Chinese police force is now strict enough, otherwise this guy must have been drunk just now.

10 hours ago, AlamoVampire said:

I just finished episode 56 or so of campaign 3 of critical role and started watching some dash cam videos. This one clip just further confirms for me why i wont ever own a tesla. In the model 3/y it seems it has a “feature” called Obstacle-aware acceleration. This “feature” seems to handicap the driver in emergency situations like being in traffic at a light when a distracted driver from the rear is on a collision course but you have a clear path out to right or left but a car ahead. It seems this “feature” cuts your ability to do the one thing you NEED to get out undamaged, accelerate up and out. This “feature” if it senses an “obstacle” ahead it limits throttle. I find it interesting tesla wants to handicap defensive actions in a way that seems to ensure you get hit. Interesting and sad. But thats my opinion, but it seems the clips submitter agrees with me or perhaps i agree with the submitter? But ill quote the submitter:

“This crash would’ve been entirely avoided (though other driver was still clearly at fault) if I was in full control of my vehicle. Very upset.”

as i said, interesting

One can very easily turn this feature off, if one doesn’t want it. On the flip side, how many “car through a storefront” stories, often resulting in injury or worse, have you seen that can be prevented by safety tech such as this. Do you have a link to the video? Something seems off about the situation. 

43 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

One can very easily turn this feature off, if one doesn’t want it. On the flip side, how many “car through a storefront” stories, often resulting in injury or worse, have you seen that can be prevented by safety tech such as this. Do you have a link to the video? Something seems off about the situation. 

The ORIGINAL video by the cammer himself.

The more we let our cars do for us the more dangerous our roads will become.

I turned 20 years old today! :)

Feels like I just turned 18… time sure flies.

To celebrate, I just went bowling with a couple of my friends, and we did some of the funniest/most ridiculous bowling you’ve ever seen. We raised the bumpers to do trick shots off of them, tried to play by throwing with our off hands, with which one of my friends somehow managed to get two strikes in a row… it was a blast.

Edited by Jack Joseph Kerman

4 hours ago, Jack Joseph Kerman said:

I turned 20 years old today! :)

Feels like I just turned 18… time sure flies.

To celebrate, I just went bowling with a couple of my friends, and we did some of the funniest/most ridiculous bowling you’ve ever seen. We raised the bumpers to do trick shots off of them, tried to play by throwing with our off hands, with which one of my friends somehow managed to get two strikes in a row… it was a blast.

Happy birthday!

We went shooting today for my son's birthday. It was what he wanted. His best friend and his dad, me and him, just the four of us. Had a great time.

@Jack Joseph Kerman made me think of it because while I was out there I shot a couple magazines with the handgun off-handed (i.e. left-handed when I am right-handed). I hit the first four shots out of the first mag on the target no problem. The remaining 11 missed.

jackie-chan-meme-template.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=e5425d2a46782e4833d0b0167d0d54612d12e4cb2fddd38a316556f49351669b&ipo=images

4 hours ago, Ben J. Kerman said:

ChatGPT told me the reason Mauritania changed its flag in 2017 is because it had similarities with the Confederate flag. Uh...

undefined1024px-Flag_of_the_Confederate_States_of_America_(1861%E2%80%931863).svg.png

Hide contents

New flag:

800px-Flag_of_Mauritania.svg.png

Meanwhile, Austria be like...

On 4/22/2023 at 7:13 PM, TheSaint said:

We went shooting today for my son's birthday. It was what he wanted. His best friend and his dad, me and him, just the four of us. Had a great time.

@Jack Joseph Kerman made me think of it because while I was out there I shot a couple magazines with the handgun off-handed (i.e. left-handed when I am right-handed). I hit the first four shots out of the first mag on the target no problem. The remaining 11 missed.

jackie-chan-meme-template.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=e5425d2a46782e4833d0b0167d0d54612d12e4cb2fddd38a316556f49351669b&ipo=images

Did you keep track of what the pattern for the remaining 11 looked like?  (It can help you figure out wha')

BTW - kudos for you.  Wish more people would practice off-hand.

On 4/21/2023 at 9:30 AM, steve9728 said:

I have a friend, one of the best of mine that our parents are friend, are neighbours and grew up with. Ever since he was a kid, this guy has had dreams of joining the PLA and the police - even a bit paranoid sometimes. After we graduated from high school about six or seven years ago and he was accepted into the police academy, he chose to join the PLA first. Two years later he retired from the border and entered the police academy he had always dreamed of. He graduated last year to join the basic police force. Then this guy who thinks about catching some serious crime suspects everyday get in the reality these couple of months: Almost all of his days consist of working with his mentor in various neighbourhoods and doing the odd piece of work such as discourage fighting between the couples or someone get drunk, and dissuading some people from being scammed by telecommunication.

Just had long lost bbq with that guy and other friends. Around 90% of the time he's complaining about when he's going to get a suspect in big case. "Even a mugger would be better!" Luckily, the prohibition of alcohol within the Chinese police force is now strict enough, otherwise this guy must have been drunk just now.

It's somewhat comforting to know that all young men, regardless of location, are subject to the same brands of stupidity.

The essential problem with hero fantasies is that they require someone else to get hurt first. Old man wisdom says you should spend your efforts preventing the problem from ever arising.

Boring, I know.

3 hours ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Did you keep track of what the pattern for the remaining 11 looked like?  (It can help you figure out wha')

BTW - kudos for you.  Wish more people would practice off-hand.

Unfortunately, no. For our main pistol target I sprang for a full-size steel IPSC silhouette. So what we normally do is bring spray paint and periodically call a range break and repaint the steel to keep track of hit locations (I have a magnetic stencil to paint the A zone). Well, the "one thing I forgot when I went to the range this time" (because there is always one thing you forget) was the spray paint. So by the time I got around to doing drills the thing was pretty well banged up. Which was fine, we weren't really doing any serious shooting anyway, I was just demonstrating for my son's buddy and his dad the kind of drills we can do. We were doing some off hand, single hand, retention, movement, posture changes. Stuff like that. You know, the sort of stuff that I need to practice more often, apparently. :rolleyes:

7 hours ago, TheSaint said:

We All need to practice more often

FTFY! 

I'm jealous.  The farm I used to go to do plinking (which was also where I could do such drills) got sold.  All the new ranges are indoor and don't like anything creative. That said - I've been enjoying shooting with my son, tremendously.

Glad to hear you were able to have fun!