KSP2 Hype Train Thread

On 2/17/2023 at 1:32 PM, Intercept Games said:
  • Framerate stutters/lag - we're continuing to work down the list of performance optimizations, from highest to lowest impact. As we push processes out of the main thread and continue to improve the efficiency of our physics, resource flow, VFX, and graphics systems, framerates should improve for all players.

This, this point right here would have made for a much quieter weekend. Very much still single threaded. Combined with unoptimized graphics elements, it all makes sense now.  That bullet point more than anything else that's been said has me a little more cautiously optimistic.

I am going to be curious if the frame rate issues/stutters are specific to certain types of hardware or if they effect everyone equally regardless of their hardware.

For example it will be interesting if a player with a 2060 experiences 20 FPS in the exact same scenario as a person with a 4090. 

also no idea if this was posted at all, but on steam nate did a post on ksp2 

The day is nearly here!

This moment feels a little bit like dropping a kid off for the first day of school. We've got a lot of love for this game - we think we've prepared it for every eventuality, but we also know that it has more growing to do. We're about to take the first steps on a journey that will eventually carry KSP2 through colonies, interstellar travel, and multiplayer.

Now the real learning begins!

What to Expect

On day 1 of Early Access, players will be able to create and fly vehicles in Sandbox Mode and visit any location in the Kerbolar System. They'll also have access to our first four interactive tutorials, accessible via the all-new Training Center. These teach basic rocketry concepts to give new players a head-start on their space programs. You'll encounter new parts, including new procedural wings, new wheels, new command pods, new cargo parts, and new engines (and the first of the new fuels - liquid hydrogen). To pave the way for the upcoming interstellar-class parts, we've also added a new, larger core size. As we progress through Early Access, we'll continue to expand on all of these features.

We can't wait to finally see what creative feats the community can achieve with the new procedural and color-customizable parts. Our environment team is eager to watch players explore the revamped terrains of the Kerbolar System (and are curious if they'll discover anything unexpected). The UX/UI team is keen to learn how the updated user experience feels - they've put a lot of effort into wrangling a very complex set of requirements into a new, more streamlined presentation. This is it - the moment has arrived when all our plans come into contact with reality!

There are many new features, big and small, for you to explore on day 1. We've put together 

to give you an overview of what's new and to break down some known issues. Release day notes and future patch notes will also live here.

In the launcher you'll find reporting tools that you can use to tell us about any problems you've encountered, as well as give feedback about any other aspect of the player experience you think we should know about. This feedback will be invaluable to us as we continue to improve the game's stability, performance, and playability.

What Comes Next

Many new features will arrive as we continue development, including Science Mode, Colonies, Interstellar exploration, and Multiplayer. Take a look at our 

for more details.

In the meantime, we're bringing back Weekly Challenges!

We intend to mix things up a little bit going forward, but the first challenge will be a classic Achievement Challenge:

• Primary Goal:
     Fly to the Mun and get a picture of a Kerbal in front of the most interesting feature you can find.
  • Stretch Goal:
     Strand a Kerbal there and pick them up with a second vehicle, returning them to safely to Kerbin.
  • Jeb-level Goal:
     Do any of the above on any other celestial body in the Kerbolar System.

If you want us to see (and maybe share) your achievement, use #KSP2WeeklyChallenge on social media, or share them in our official Discord.

Welcome to KSP2! The journey begins!

1 minute ago, Scarecrow71 said:

This particular graphic, as an example:

Ya the problem with that table, is it wasn't put together. It was lifted from Tom's Hardware and modified to show where KSP2 lands, not an issue in of itself. The issue is, its a graph. And they cut off the vertical axis, which is frame rate. It also has no context. What this graph is plotting in the framerate average @ 1080p ultra settings, in the most demanding games of the past year. In that light it's a pretty scathing review of the current state of the EA. 

Let's be clear about this. I've seen a number of people believing this is an original work and that those gray lines are somehow markers in relation to ksp 2. For clarity, the line crossing the 1660 represents 40 fps average for those titles tested and has no bearing on KSP.

Just now, snkiz said:

Ya the problem with that table, is it wasn't put together. It was lifted from Tom's Hardware and modified to show where KSP2 lands, not an issue in of itself. The issue is, its a graph. And they cut off the vertical axis, which is frame rate. It also has no context. What this graph is plotting in the framerate average @ 1080p ultra settings, in the most demanding games of the past year. In that light it's a pretty scathing review of the current state of the EA. 

Let's be clear about this. I've seen a number of people believing this is an original work and that those gray lines are somehow markers in relation to ksp 2. For clarity, the line crossing the 1660 represents 40 fps average for those titles tested and has no bearing on KSP.

Oh, I'm not using it as the end-all of what anyone needs in order to play this game.  I am simply using it as a personal benchmark to say "my card is above this line, so at least up front I should be able to launch the game".  To me, and to me only, the image has value.  Your mileage may, and probably will, vary.

Happy rocketeering!

Just now, Scarecrow71 said:

Oh, I'm not using it as the end-all of what anyone needs in order to play this game. 

You may not be, but there have been video's including this graphic without the context.  Many people are confused about what it represents.

Edited by snkiz

There was never a question that I would purchase the Early Access on day one, and I was excited for it.

After watching folks I trust give their impressions, I am even more on board, even more excited. I agree with Tim Dodd's ratings from what I saw of his play session.

I certainly understand those that have decided to wait, no judgement here, not everyone wants an Early Access, they want a finished game and I do understand that.

For myself I will enjoy day one, will provide feedback, and relish every update as they come along, glad to be a part of the process bringing this game to everything that it promises to be. To be honest I would have gladly sent them the $50 just to make sure they continued development early access or not

Edited by DwightLee

1 hour ago, Serenity said:

My fears were confirmed, except the UI which i really liked, all the rest are a downgrade from KSP1, good luck to anyone delving into this mess

Yes the UI looked good, need some twerks, Everyday Astronaut deleted his rocket trying to delete an manure node. 
Graphic, rockets an planes looks great, environments looks good but not something I expected needing an 3080. 
VAB looks great, but the content is not so good, no important new engines except an larger and better nuclear one. Had expected metallic hydrogen. 
Yes with the warp under trust, reactors and ion engines you can do some cool stuff but not upgrading my pc to do another great tour. 

It looks like optimization will need to be the biggest priority in early Early Access, followed by glitchy stuff like wheels sinking into the ground when at unusual angles (or maybe a dust effect could hide this, too?). The bones are clearly there, and I'm loving what I'm seeing in that case. All things considered, given the pessimism that's been going around here the last several days weeks months, I'm hoping everyone can put these videos into perspective and see that, with some (much) more optimization and bug fixing, this is indeed going to be the game they had hoped it would be

I hope there is indeed a lot of goodies on these planets because..

At least from a distance, they've managed Moho to look boring.

4XfJYC7.png

It's not blasted by the sun, there's almost no color variation, it's a brown ball with craters.

And no, a single mohole won't cut it.

Edited by The Aziz

26 minutes ago, MechBFP said:

I am going to be curious if the frame rate issues/stutters are specific to certain types of hardware or if they effect everyone equally regardless of their hardware.

For example it will be interesting if a player with a 2060 experiences 20 FPS in the exact same scenario as a person with a 4090. 

I don't think the Everyday Astronaut issues was graphic but rater physic, during launch surface with KSC is much more of an job than the not very large rocket. 
He used 8 liquid fueled boosters with 9 tanks and this killed framerate for some reason. 
Something was up with the physic, either physic or drag calculations. 

Just now, magnemoe said:

I don't think the Everyday Astronaut issues was graphic but rater physic, during launch surface with KSC is much more of an job than the not very large rocket. 
He used 8 liquid fueled boosters with 9 tanks and this killed framerate for some reason. 

Yeah I noticed the same thing, it was shimmying all the boosters the way they were mounted, its the physics and drag that was causing the slowdown, id bet money on that. I seriously doubt it was the GPU 

1 minute ago, magnemoe said:

Based on other videos, my suspicion is that it was heavily strutted.

8 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

I hope there is indeed a lot of goodies on these planets because..

At least from a distance, they've managed Moho to look boring.

4XfJYC7.png

It's not blasted by the sun, there's almost no color variation, it's a brown ball with craters.

And no, a single mohole won't cut it.

Where did you get that image?

Oh that's Everyday Astronaut, oops :blush:

XAmsYgR.png

I LOVE how wide the runway is now compared to the old one. It looks to be like 1.5 to 2 times wider. Which is really great for us folks that like to make big replica planes or the folks that make super long and wide SSTOs.

Just now, WelshSteW said:

Well, I'm pleasantly surprised.

I hope we have some more stuff coming out during the week, otherwise Friday is going to seem like a loooooooong way away :D

Matt has a video every day of the week. I'm sure a few others do as well. 

Just now, GoldForest said:

XAmsYgR.png

I LOVE how wide the runway is now compared to the old one. It looks to be like 1.5 to 2 times wider. Which is really great for us folks that like to make big replica planes or the folks that make super long and wide SSTOs.

Matt has a video every day of the week. I'm sure a few others do as well. 

it will make my jets/rockets really small..

cannot wait to make cargo planes, og

How long until someone makes a plane that requires BOTH runways to take off? I give it... a week... maybe two. 

And by both, I literally mean the aircraft is so wide the left wheels are on the left runway and vice versa for the right.

Edited by GoldForest

49 minutes ago, snkiz said:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html
This links to the site, the medium 1080p mostly squeeze thing, 6x00 does a bit better. Yes this is testing software who probably focus more on shooters or RPG than flight sims but don't think it changes stuff a lot.