KSP2 Release Notes - Update v0.1.2.0

Intercept Games

24 minutes ago, squshy7 said:

but let's not pretend like we're flying completely blind here

Except, that's exactly what is required at the moment, to "fly blind".  I can look up phase angle and departure window, and I can fire at "approximately" the right time, direction, and duration, but I have no clue how close I am to what I wanted to achieve until I depart the SOI.  Only then can I "see" the initial results, and only then can I "see" exactly what the expected results of any corrections will be.

With this feature working properly (as with KSP1) I can plan exactly down to the expected Pe at Kerbin.  And, when I execute the node (or plan), I can slow down at the end and again get exact detail on the actual Kerbin Pe -- because I can see it as it's happening.

Yes, we are currently flying completely blind in this situation.

First impression, definitely seeing improved framerate on the launchpad. So that's promising. And you fixed a bug I reported about lighting  of Kerbals on EVA on the launchpad at night, they weren't being illuminated like the ship by the pad lights. Looking forward to seeing how things have improved in general.

18 minutes ago, squshy7 said:

That being said, I *do* agree that it is nice to have hypothetical maneuvers just to get a rough estimate of dV. I feel like this is something they should add to the tracking station that is craft independent and doesn't care about burn time; basically a KSP1-type node in the tracking station.

Or just have anything over the delta-V available be another color on the orbit line. That would have been a much better option IMO.

1 hour ago, LameLefty said:

I personally am shocked that this bug has been left unaddressed since launch.

Disappointed, yes, shocked, no. It's obviously a fairly subtle bug with an incredibly core chunk of the game, it seems somewhat reasonable it'd take time to fix, and that one would want to proceed carefully when doing so.

But more relevantly, take 10 seconds, step outside your own concerns, and think both about being the person on the other end of the keyboard who is going to respond to the question, and also what the likely scenarios are.

Scenario A:
They've done nothing at all, it's de-prioritized.
Necessary answer:
"We're aware of the issue and are still working on it."

Scenario B:
They're actively working on it, but haven't fixed it yet.
Necessary answer:

Scenario C:
They thought they had a fix, but it regressed something else, and they had to roll it back before release.
Necessary answer:

Are you seeing a pattern?

Great. Now there's an updated Privacy Policy. And... I can't get past it.

Every time I maximize the game and just hover over the scrollbar - the game is frozen for a minute or two. So I can't read and accept it.
I've also verified the game files through Steam and even moved the game to my SSD (for a second I thought my HDD was dying or something).

Nothing. Meh, at least others can play it I guess.

UPD: wait, the PP is not updated. It says its dated 20th of January. :|

Edited by atomontage
upd

• Community Manager
12 minutes ago, atomontage said:

Great. Now there's an updated Privacy Policy. And... I can't get past it.

Every time I maximize the game and just hover over the scrollbar - the game is frozen for a minute or two. So I can't read and accept it.
I've also verified the game files through Steam and even moved the game to my SSD (for a second I thought my HDD was dying or something).

Nothing. Meh, at least others can play it I guess.

Are you using the Russian localization? We've seen a few issues like this. Try changing your system language to English, launch the game, accept the EULA, and then swap back to Russian. No need to log out or reboot.

10 minutes ago, Dakota said:

Are you using the Russian localization? We've seen a few issues like this. Try changing your system language to English, launch the game, accept the EULA, and then swap back to Russian. No need to log out or reboot.

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, the game is in Russian (for streaming purposes). The game is actually in English. And my system language is English.

I'm gonna try rolling back to 0.1.1, switching the language in settings then update back and try again.

UPD: trying to figure it out. Will reply when I'm done.

Edited by atomontage

46 minutes ago, squshy7 said:

That being said, I *do* agree that it is nice to have hypothetical maneuvers just to get a rough estimate of dV. I feel like this is something they should add to the tracking station that is craft independent and doesn't care about burn time; basically a KSP1-type node in the tracking station.

I hope @Nate Simpson will forgive the ping, but it would be absolutely amazing to have something like the Planning Node mod for KSP1 in stock KSP2 (which displays such things in the tracking station, but you need a vessel to create them due to limitations of the core code):

This isn't (I think) just me promoting my own work; there's a need in both games for pre-flight planning tools, and this mod was specifically designed to apply the stock tools to that use case.

• Community Manager
Just now, atomontage said:

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, the game is in Russian (for streaming purposes). However, my system language is English.

I'm gonna try rolling back to 0.1.1, switching the language in settings then update back and try again.

You could also try changing the LanguageKey line in the settings.json file to "en".

The bug is with the privacy policy in Russian, but once it's accepted you should be able to play the game normally in the Russian localization.

1 hour ago, squshy7 said:

firstly, while I understand wanting acknowledgement, I'm not sure you really appreciate how un-straightforward the bug is; leaving a moon of another body towards kerbin, for instance, does not introduce the bug for me.

second, while it's difficult to work around, it's not "game breaking". in my experience the trajectory always fixes itself once you leave the SOI of the body. so setup your burn where and when you know it should be for roughly the dV you know it should be, and just plot intercept with course corrections once you leave SOI. obviously this is a tall task for newcomers, but most experienced players should be able to do this just fine. you'll take a dV penalty, of course, but let's not pretend like we're flying completely blind here.

And I'm not sure you, nor most of the other people here lambasting me over this, appreciate the fact that KSP1 has had this right FOR LONGER THAN A DECADE.  This is core gameplay functionality that this game's predecessor has had in place for YEARS.  Excusing the devs for not getting this right both prior to launch and during  2 patches only gives them enablement to continue to let the most core functions not work.

I forgot to mention earlier because praise is important as well when it comes to feedback:

Great work on maneuver timer window, finally I don't have to lean it to see anything.

But there's also the other side of the coin, the font chosen is, once again, godawful.

1 hour ago, RaBDawG said:

The minimal amount of actual game breaking and performance fixes and ZERO new content 2 Months after launch is seriously insane, lol.  

Actually, the number of game-breaking bugs and performance fixes that have been addressed in the last 2 patches is quite staggering.  Especially the performance fixes in the last patch; users are reporting that their FPS has gone up and the game has become playable and smooth for them.  So where you got this from I don't know.  Other than perhaps simply not playing the game and just trolling?

7 minutes ago, Dakota said:

You could also try changing the LanguageKey line in the settings.json file to "en".

The bug is with the privacy policy in Russian, but once it's accepted you should be able to play the game normally in the Russian localization.

The game turned out to be actually in English (I've rolled back to 0.1.1 to verify that). Also the system is in English. But the region was Russia.
I'm gonna play with the system settings to figure out what exactly affects the Privacy Policy to show up in Russian and reply. Or did the devs already debugged the root cause and you don't need my info?

• Community Manager
Just now, atomontage said:

The game turned out to be actually in English (I've rolled back to 0.1.1 to verify that). Also the system is in English. But the region was Russia.
I'm gonna play with the system settings to figure out what exactly affects the Privacy Policy to show up in Russian and reply. Or did the devs already debugged the root cause and you don't need my info?

We've seen the issue a few times from a few other users and the workaround I mentioned above should work.

1 minute ago, Scarecrow71 said:

Actually, the number of game-breaking bugs and performance fixes that have been addressed in the last 2 patches is quite staggering.  Especially the performance fixes in the last patch; users are reporting that their FPS has gone up and the game has become playable and smooth for them.  So where you got this from I don't know.  Other than perhaps simply not playing the game and just trolling?

It got better, but still a long way to go if we look at optimization., compared to other games.

1 minute ago, Ferio said:

It got better, but still a long way to go if we look at optimization., compared to other games.

Oh, I don't disagree with you.  Still a long ways to go.  But the distance already covered is remarkable.

2 minutes ago, Dakota said:

We've seen the issue a few times from a few other users and the workaround I mentioned above should work.

Yeah I just wanted to also hunt the solution down with fiddling with the system settings. It seems changing the Regional Format is the key. Once you switch it to lets say USA, the PP shows up in English. Then you can switch it back.
(My fellow kerbonauts might find this easier than changing the language in the settings.cfg file.)

Okay, it seems to have worked. Gonna publish the workarounds for our community.

Thanks!

3 hours ago, Intercept Games said:

• Removed the "Disable Crash Damage" difficulty setting. This setting could cause issues preventing vessels from entering a landed state. If crash damage was disabled in playthroughs, it will now be enabled

NOOOOO!

Hey everyone - posted this on the Announcements section, but linking here in case I'm not the only one.

Question for Steam users - Do you automatically get these updates and if so, how? In my Steam game settings, I have updates set to "High Priority", and to allow downloads in the background. But it appears you have to go to the "Betas" section and select which patch you want installed, and v0.1.2.0 isn't available as of yet. 

Not sure if it is my system or a systemic issue with Steam users. Happy to explain more! Loving the game so far as well!