Ask the Mods questions about the Forums!

Dman979

Is there any way to bookmark or save specific posts?  i.e. a "Save for Later" button so I can come back to a post when after I get home from browsing KSP at work (tsk tsk)?  I know that using 'Like' will save them to my activity feed, but that's tedious to browse through and browsing through something I liked in a specific thread (i.e. What Did You Do IN KSP Today? for somethign I want to try) is also quite a daunting task.

5 hours ago, Korvath85 said:

Is there any way to bookmark or save specific posts?  i.e. a "Save for Later" button so I can come back to a post when after I get home from browsing KSP at work (tsk tsk)?  I know that using 'Like' will save them to my activity feed, but that's tedious to browse through and browsing through something I liked in a specific thread (i.e. What Did You Do IN KSP Today? for somethign I want to try) is also quite a daunting task.

Following a thread will put it in a list that can be accessed either with a custom activity thread: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/discover/25/

or in a menu somewhere.

You can also use your browser's bookmark tool.

[/NOTAMOD]

Edited by Mad Rocket Scientist

• 2 weeks later...

A while back, I edited my signature to put a link to my music video in it. Now the music video was blocked in 15 countries, so I took it down to avoid any more trouble. I remember that I went to the "settings" option in the dropdown menu above my name to change my signature in the first place. However, that button is grayed out and I don't know of any other way to change my signature. Help?

EDIT: Nevermind, it was under account settings, not settings. Sorry!

Edited by Ultimate Steve
Me being dumb.

So reporting a post lets you type a message saying why you're reporting it? I've always been to scared to try... :blush:Sometimes I see threads that should be moved or something, but not anything as bad as "Report" sounds (at least to me). I read something about a text box a few pages back, so I think it's clear enough for me.

5 minutes ago, cubinator said:

So reporting a post lets you type a message saying why you're reporting it? I've always been to scared to try... :blush:Sometimes I see threads that should be moved or something, but not anything as bad as "Report" sounds (at least to me). I read something about a text box a few pages back, so I think it's clear enough for me.

Yes if you report something, please give us a reason WHY you are making your report. *looks around sheepishly*

50 minutes ago, Kuzzter said:

Regarding that report thing: suppose I see a user post a request such as 'please lock/delete/move this'. Is it helpful for a passerby to report that post with a note echoing the OP's request?

It certainly won't hurt anything, and it may indeed draw our attention to such a post. It is also helpful to post a link in the thread in question to here:

If you DO report a post, please make sure you do a quick refresh just to make sure the thread hasn't been moved, locked or otherwise taken care of before you submit the report.

1 hour ago, Frybert said:

Yes if you report something, please give us a reason WHY you are making your report. *looks around sheepishly*

Thanks. I've just been worried that if I were to push the button, it gets instantly whisked away to Big Brother* as if there's something bad about it, like breaking rules. Can the person who posted it see that it's been reported, and the message that went with the report? I wouldn't want anyone to feel bad about having their thread reported for something simple like being in the wrong subforum.

*Note: Take no offense at the analogy, you guys are not Big Brother-y at all! Or-well, at least that's what I have been made to think...

4 minutes ago, cubinator said:

Thanks. I've just been worried that if I were to push the button, it gets instantly whisked away to Big Brother* as if there's something bad about it, like breaking rules. Can the person who posted it see that it's been reported, and the message that went with the report? I wouldn't want anyone to feel bad about having their thread reported for something simple like being in the wrong subforum.

*Note: Take no offense at the analogy, you guys are not Big Brother-y at all! Or-well, at least that's what I have been made to think...

After you make a report the only people who are going to know you made a report are you and the moderation team. As far as being Big Brother, I would like to remind you we have an @Vanamonde located in everyone's house. ;)

7 minutes ago, Frybert said:

After you make a report the only people who are going to know you made a report are you and the moderation team. As far as being Big Brother, I would like to remind you we have an @Vanamonde located in everyone's house. ;)

The object I use to connect to the forums in the first place already bears a slightly disconcerting resemblance to the telescreen...but that's the subject of a different thread...one which I will not be posting because it would quickly turn to the subject of (hypothetical) politics. :)

...and also it might get the attention of the Thought Police. :D

Edited by cubinator
Sarcasm face

3 hours ago, cubinator said:

Just to add on to Frybert's excellent explanation:

• There's nothing whatsoever negative about reporting per se.  "Report" does not mean "accuse".  It simply means "get the mods' attention for something."  It can (and often is) used to report inappropriate content, but it doesn't have to be.  For example, you can report your own post, if you need help with something you can't do yourself (e.g. "I accidentally posted and want to delete this").
  • Reports can actually help the mod staff by giving us extra pairs of eyes in the forums.  We can't be everywhere all the time.
  • Reporting inappropriate posts can be especially useful because there are some types of posts that can kick off firestorms, and it's a lot better for everyone concerned (moderators and forumgoers alike) if those can be spotted quickly and nipped in the bud before they spiral out of control.
  • Another example: if you report a post for being in the wrong subforum... you're not just helping your fellow forumgoers (by reducing noise in the "wrong" forum), but you're actually helping the person you're reporting because now their thread will live in a better home where it's likely to get more of the right sort of attention.

So you're doing everyone a favor by making an appropriate report.

This isn't the right thread for this post but I'm not sure what would be and it's small enough that I don't want a new thread for it :)

Whoever is responsible for the new "Recent Activity" page's extra buttons, filters, and options being right on the page and easily changeable, thanks! I didn't even know I wanted that.

Speaking of the bar @5thHorseman mentioned, it's a great feature... HOWEVER, I have to be negative about one point: PLEASE turn off the "float" feature....

I am on a laptop, and dont have much screen real-estate...I also dont need it to be ever-present... Its not like it will be needed THAT much... I think leaving it firmly attached to just the top of the page, and letting it scroll away would be enough.

But to whoever is playing with the forum softwareplaying with settings & stuff, to customize and change it up (maybe you, @KasperVld ?), I Thank You. :D

Edited by Stone Blue

On January 4, 2016 at 1:45 AM, legoclone09 said:

Hey! I use Yahoo!

:wink:

well my mom made me that email, but I'm too lazy to switch.

WHY???????????

More importantly, WHY DO WE HAVE TO POST PHOTOS USING IMGUR WHY CANT WE JUST ADD SCREENSHOTS LIKE ANY OTHER TEXT EDITOR EVER IN THE HISTORY OF TEXT EDITORS ITS TOO COMPLICATED AND BUGGY I MEAN IMGUR WHY SQUAD YES I AM RANTING BUT I AM VERY VERY ANGRY ABOUT THIS BECAUSE THAT MONSTROSITY BARELY WORKS ON MY COMPUTER SERIOUSLY WHY CHANGE THIS PLEASE. WHY MUST WE SUFFER UNDER THE OPPRESSION OF IMGUR. CHANGE THIS, AND DO IT ASAP

Yeah, I went on a rant.

2 minutes ago, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

WHY???????????

More importantly, WHY DO WE HAVE TO POST PHOTOS USING IMGUR WHY CANT WE JUST ADD SCREENSHOTS LIKE ANY OTHER TEXT EDITOR EVER IN THE HISTORY OF TEXT EDITORS ITS TOO COMPLICATED AND BUGGY I MEAN IMGUR WHY SQUAD YES I AM RANTING BUT I AM VERY VERY ANGRY ABOUT THIS BECAUSE THAT MONSTROSITY BARELY WORKS ON MY COMPUTER SERIOUSLY WHY CHANGE THIS PLEASE. WHY MUST WE SUFFER UNDER THE OPPRESSION OF IMGUR. CHANGE THIS, AND DO IT ASAP

Besides, Imgur goes down like, twice a day. Please. Trying to load an image from Google is fine. uploading it to imgur, then to the forums is not.