[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

On 8/12/2024 at 3:48 AM, dave1904 said:

@Pappystein I'm making a fluorine,lithium Hydrogen tank type and was wondering if you or anyone else here would know the mixture ratios for an engine like that. Roughly at least. 

Atm I have it at

LqHydrogen 3.75

Lithium 0.75

Fluorine 0.25

I've went for a 15:1 hydrogen flurine mixture but have no idea how much lithium is ideal. 15:3:1 was a wild guess haha. My current tank has half the mass of hydrogen/oxygen and it seem quite op. Any recommendations? 

Followup,   I haven't gotten all of the info yet on this but below is pretty good start for you:

above is about the real world test of the only (well in the US Tri-Propellant)
NTRS NASA study on the above

Just remember the Lithium is SOLID in the tank.  You need something to melt it, and that alone should make the tank mass 100x+ vs regular tanks

11 hours ago, Zorg said:

The required update to shabby isnt out yet and the shader pack isn’t released yet either. I committed the textures and configs for convenience.

Ok, thanks for the help!

59 minutes ago, Pappystein said:

Followup,   I haven't gotten all of the info yet on this but below is pretty good start for you:

above is about the real world test of the only (well in the US Tri-Propellant)
NTRS NASA study on the above

Just remember the Lithium is SOLID in the tank.  You need something to melt it, and that alone should make the tank mass 100x+ vs regular tanks

Cheers. I love that channel since he made the titan sub video. I have looked into the chemical properties already. Mixture rates are just what im wondering about. I would have imagined it being heated to its liquid form in the tank already. Obviously insulating it from LOX and LH2 is an issuue. 

5 hours ago, Pappystein said:

Um BTW  Saturn INT 05, and INT-05A are exactly what you flew (well with a S-IVB)   AJ-260 either long or short respectively with an S-IVB and Apollo CSM.

terrible minds think alike

11 hours ago, Rodger said:

Ah ok, weird. I can test that quickly on my end too. Did you try with the updated cfg? And if that radial booster in the pic isn't flipping in circles something else may be wrong... The thrust should be angled significantly.

Edit: yeah getting error spam in the log when trying to use the AJ260 with PVG. But 'resetting to defaults' seems to fix them, and both variants work in this case.

Just tried the new cfg and it works! Thank you! :D

weirdly it also happened with classic ascent profile, i haven't tried that with the new cfg though because, well, i don't use it that much.

Edited by Kellanium

In a somewhat annoying position, in that I can't make the ablative variants for the rest of the X-15 parts until I finish the second texture sheet. So I had to go back and dust off some ideas I'd had, since it's now or never.

Dual-seater cockpit, replacing the space allocated for the experiments with a second (very cramped) seat. More or less based on the X-15B cockpit design, with some compromises to make it fit with the existing mesh.

ZDQWmmf.png

Q9ORLCP.png

And a drone 'cockpit', for when your high-speed experiments are too unsafe for a meat pilot. This one is entirely my own creation, I've never seen any proposals for an uncrewed X-15.

dUprPuX.png

vCc85SK.png

1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:

vCc85SK.png

yay I won't have to constantly REVERT to save Val and Jeb!

:P

I have already shared my opinion with you on these, But publicly now   SWEET TWO THUMBS UP!

On 8/14/2024 at 12:49 PM, dave1904 said:

Cheers. I love that channel since he made the titan sub video. I have looked into the chemical properties already. Mixture rates are just what im wondering about. I would have imagined it being heated to its liquid form in the tank already. Obviously insulating it from LOX and LH2 is an issuue. 

So, As I see it, and this is inline with what the 2nd study said,  You pretty much need a nuclear reactor to keep the Lithium in liquid form.   If you have a Nuke Reactor why not just go LH2 only with the Nuke and have safer exhaust?   I will try to dig into the actual numbers today (I am going to have to read all the Rocketdyne reports etc to get anything useful to you.   Just remember in KSP it is VOLUME not MASS that is spent in the engine.(other the otherway Whatever way is NOT used in Real life)

I will say i love the tripropellant idea purely on the notion of "this is insane lmao" but it also seems like kind of a lot of work for just a gag? I don't code or model or texture though so i couldn't really say

8 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

In a somewhat annoying position, in that I can't make the ablative variants for the rest of the X-15 parts until I finish the second texture sheet. So I had to go back and dust off some ideas I'd had, since it's now or never.

Dual-seater cockpit, replacing the space allocated for the experiments with a second (very cramped) seat. More or less based on the X-15B cockpit design, with some compromises to make it fit with the existing mesh.

ZDQWmmf.png

Q9ORLCP.png

And a drone 'cockpit', for when your high-speed experiments are too unsafe for a meat pilot. This one is entirely my own creation, I've never seen any proposals for an uncrewed X-15.

dUprPuX.png

vCc85SK.png

The drone variant has some Ace Combat vibes going for it.

1 hour ago, The Dressian Exploder said:

Have you considered adding VABOrganiser support? It might be a lot of work given the sheer amount of parts in BDB but I feel like this is exactly the kind of mod that would benefit from it immensely.

It's already added lol. Check the github, it's one of the commits to the dev branch. 

And actually, Rodger teased VABO a few pages back. 

Edited by GoldForest

58 minutes ago, The Dressian Exploder said:

Have you considered adding VABOrganiser support? It might be a lot of work given the sheer amount of parts in BDB but I feel like this is exactly the kind of mod that would benefit from it immensely.

Yep as GoldForest mentioned, it's already done! :D They've actually been ready to push for a few weeks now, just waiting till Nertea was closer to release, and since NearFuture mods have updated with VABO support I've released them too.

5 hours ago, The Dressian Exploder said:

I was blessed with the opprotunity to test this feature.   I will say the part mods that did not support VABO really fell by the wayside quickly in my use.   But then again, most of that time was me testing the Fluorine patch.

15 hours ago, Kellanium said:

I will say i love the tripropellant idea purely on the notion of "this is insane lmao" but it also seems like kind of a lot of work for just a gag? I don't code or model or texture though so i couldn't really say

That was basically the conclusion IRL as well.   Neat cycle,   Not really viable today.

Centaur Forward Load Reactor is now on the github. Attach to the new hidden middle node on the Centaur III fuel tank and set the auto deploy altitude to 1-2km above the fairing deploy alt.

EDIT: someone found a CAD image of the FLR buried in the payload adapter section of the atlas manual so I've updated the part with a few extra details

iSSirTd.png

4hQem1B.jpeg

otqSaIW.png

6bqaHMx.png

Edited by Zorg

7 hours ago, DaveyJ576 said:

@Zorg, could you take a look at the Titan SRB recovery parachute? The parachutes themselves are transparent when deployed on the dev version that I downloaded on August 5. Thanks.

Huh odd. Using Shaddy will work around it (and look better anyway), which is why I hadn't noticed lol. Anyway, fixed.

@GoldForest and anyone else using the methalox optional patches - they've been updated for the merged engines, as well as a new J-2 version. The RL20 is now a 2nd part instead of a subtype due to the engine switch on the regular RL20, and the methalox J-2 is a new part too. But the J-2T, RS-30, and MB60 methalox options are all just subtypes still.

The MethaloxRL10 folder is depreciated now, all you need is the single MethaloxEngines patch folder

On 8/15/2024 at 10:53 AM, CobaltWolf said:

ZDQWmmf.png

Q9ORLCP.png

dUprPuX.png

vCc85SK.png

If you don't mind me asking are there any considerations towards adding a passenger cabin that can be put between the cockpit and the main fuselage?

1 hour ago, ArgentBlue said:

If you don't mind me asking are there any considerations towards adding a passenger cabin that can be put between the cockpit and the main fuselage?

Erm, I think that is the passenger cabin. There's no more room to fit anything else because the entire rest of the body was filled with fuel tanks.