[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

On 11/13/2023 at 6:28 PM, adriangm44 said:

Wow! Great guys! Thank you @Cheesecake @Davi SDF @Neebel, that was great help.

I’ll get over to the respective Rescale post to learn how to figure out the new geostationary orbits and all that stuff.

Cheers!

No problem! Also, I second @biohazard15, just getting JNSQ is probably simpler than using a rescale but it's your decision ofc.

On 11/13/2023 at 8:45 PM, biohazard15 said:

I recommend getting JNSQ instead - it's natively scaled up to 2.66x, so you won't need any extra mods. More importantly, planet textures in this mod are made from scratch, so they won't look blurry.

2 hours ago, Neebel said:

No problem! Also, I second @biohazard15, just getting JNSQ is probably simpler than using a rescale but it's your decision ofc.

That's what I meant about compatibility. Volumetric clouds won't work on JNSQ, nor does the latest version of Scatterer, and I certainly don't know about Parallax.
I also still don't know if Sigma and Rescale will work with these either, though.

Hi guys, I encountered a problem that most of the details from BDB are missing in the game
I tried to install the mod manually, through ckan, separated the game folder from Steam, but nothing helps
I have express install RO, KER and volumetric clouds
dqLb8Is.png                        PH61IxX.png

Edited by Dejnn

15 hours ago, BorfoandShnogs said:

Are there plans to add a "Densified Propellant" option to the Saturn S-IE-16K Liquid Fuel Tank so you can construct the Saturn IC Heavy without needing to reduce the fuel in the two boosters?
fetch.php?media=timelines:saturnic_mb.pn

Why reducing the fuel in the Booster stages? Reduce thrust of the center stage.

On 11/13/2023 at 6:00 AM, adriangm44 said:

Wait a minute, stock parts are overpowered for stock system? I’m getting real lost here.

Yes. Notice how you can do a Mun landing and return with just the 1,.25m parts, as that's what KSP started with. The 2.5m parts were actually a little overpowered when they first arrived, but people just made way bigger payloads to compensate. Then came the 3.75m parts, and they were completely overpowered, wasn't any real use for them except for wackly lolskerbal creations.

As mentioned, BDB, Tantares and similar kerbalized real parts are balanced against the stock parts. They, like the stock parts, just happen to work best, i.e. roughly corresponding to their IRL counterparts or equivalents, at a 2.5x scaled Kerbin/Earth. E.g. a Mk1 pod on a 1.25m tank stack (think Mercury-Redstone) should be suborbital only and not capable of reaching orbit.

On 11/13/2023 at 7:00 AM, adriangm44 said:

Wait a minute, stock parts are overpowered for stock system? I’m getting real lost here.

Using only stock parts and a now LONG DEFUNCT Nuclear engine mod, I made a Tinker-toy Saturn Analog out of 2.5m parts and got to the edge of the stock KSP solar system...  That was when I said "THATS IT" and installed GPP, and latter JNSQ.    (it took me 30 lifts without boiloff to get my buggy built.)

Now-A-Days I use KSRSS Reborn at 2.5x

18 hours ago, BorfoandShnogs said:

Are there plans to add a "Densified Propellant" option to the Saturn S-IE-16K Liquid Fuel Tank so you can construct the Saturn IC Heavy without needing to reduce the fuel in the two boosters?

You know, I should pester E of Pi and company as to why no 156" SRMs... they were well under development when the timeline jumped from real to story...  And with a slight scaledown and a change to the fore and aft structures became the 146" SRM for the Space Shuttle.

Nah,  Not worth it :)

Edited by Pappystein
forgot Reborn in the mod title name

3 hours ago, Cheesecake said:
19 hours ago, BorfoandShnogs said:

Expand  

Why reducing the fuel in the Booster stages? Reduce thrust of the center stage.

@BorfoandShnogs Depending on your payload mass, preferred playstyle, and difficulty settings, here are some other options to reducing center thrust:

Add crossfeed. During liftoff the 2 booster tanks will power all 3 engines. Jettison the boosters as soon as their tanks empty, or if that gives you a dangerously low TWR in the middle of ascent delay the jettison and let the center tank  temporarily power all 3 engines until it's safe to jettison.

Stretch the center tank or shrink the booster tanks. The resulting rocket won't look exactly like the diagram, but those diagrams were only concepts and may have changed before actual flight. You'll be able to have all tanks filled, all engines at max throttle, without crossfeed.

On 11/15/2023 at 5:59 PM, Dejnn said:

Hi guys, I encountered a problem that most of the details from BDB are missing in the game
I tried to install the mod manually, through ckan, separated the game folder from Steam, but nothing helps

BDB isn't compatible with RO 

On 11/15/2023 at 10:59 AM, Dejnn said:

Yes, BDB will not work with RO. The important parts of it, namely the crewed spacecraft and engines, are already included in the mods ROCapsules and ROEngines. Some people have made RO .cfgs for some of the other parts, they're floating around on GitHub, but not part of RO.

Also, those craft files from Modular Launch Pads will not work in RO either. Heck, that Saturn V file is from v2.2 of MLP, and it won't work with the newer post-Saturn update of BDB.

You simply can't use stuff designed for stock KSP in RO.

Edited by AlphaMensae

@Pappystein :P

Reached ~350 X ~350 orbit at 51.60 degrees with plenty of fuel to spare. 

Mess around a bit and got it into a further ~90.69 Mm X ~90.69 Mm orbit at 128.209 degrees. (Yes, I put it into a retrograde orbit. It was just for fun.)

Also, yes, I launched it like a Titan with SRBs only at launch, then the F-1AV 10 seconds before cutoff. 

Full album: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

NFsrlZN.png

Ge2RZqR.png

3c9izXt.png

mDsoa8c.png

LqaES4w.png

INC43SG.png

Maybe someone can help me with this.

For a while now I've wanted to use the minotaur rockets that are part of BDB to launch payloads but I have never been able to due to the fact that well, they're solid boosters.

Meaning I have no idea how to determine how much fuel they should have in them to achieve a desired orbit, say 500 km.

I'm in a stock game and if anyone has any idea how to do this I'd very much appreciate it if they could let me know how to tweak the fuel in the boosters that way they have the burn times I need. 

going along with this, I no longer see an option for BDB safesolid, so I can shut the boosters down prematurely.

Edited by CollectingSP

34 minutes ago, CollectingSP said:

Maybe someone can help me with this.

For a while now I've wanted to use the minotaur rockets that are part of BDB to launch payloads but I have never been able to due to the fact that well, they're solid boosters.

Meaning I have no idea how to determine how much fuel they should have in them to achieve a desired orbit, say 500 km.

I'm in a stock game and if anyone has any idea how to do this I'd very much appreciate it if they could let me know how to tweak the fuel in the boosters that way they have the burn times I need. 

going along with this, I no longer see an option for BDB safesolid, so I can shut the boosters down prematurely.

Weird, it should be in the extras folder. Are you copying the extra folder and not the items inside the folder, right? Because they won't work due to folder structure requirement if you don't have the "BDB Extras" folder. 

2 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

Weird, it should be in the extras folder. Are you copying the extra folder and not the items inside the folder, right? Because they won't work due to folder structure requirement if you don't have the "BDB Extras" folder. 

Didn’t know I needed that, thanks.

On 11/17/2023 at 6:16 AM, GoldForest said:

Also, yes, I launched it like a Titan with SRBs only at launch, then the F-1AV 10 seconds before cutoff. 

Full album: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Ge2RZqR.png

IIRC you can make a Saturn V-6 with 4 of those and launch on just the two cl F1s and 4 TK156s with more than a full moon payload.   I think I got the moon Lander with parachutes and a heat shield for it to Mars.    It did not quite survive landing....  I know that much... I had to fly a rescue mission to save Jeb!

SRM designation is  assuming Thiokol won the contract, Aerojet would have been AJ156 and CTD/UAC would have been CT-156.   The Name SRM for the Space Shuttle comes from shorthand engineering documents to allow any of the prescribed engines to be subbed in....   And that stuck as the designation...

20 hours ago, GoldForest said:

So long as whatever Extras you want installed are in the Bluedog_DB_Extras folder, structure does not matter.    But the root folder in your GameData folder needs to be Bluedog_DB_Extras.

The leo's drogue chute really doesn't want to deploy. Always end up having to just jettison it after it completely fails to deploy at the set altitude and pressure (and yes, I'm going a safe enough speed). Oh well, doesn't matter much.

EDIT: Apparently saying something on the forums made it more cooperative.

Edited by silvermistshadow

Since we got the modern texture variant on Apollo CM, could a version without chute assembly or with an adapted one be added, please? Top of the capsule itself (not counting the chute assembly) is already 1.25m more or less, and the assembly is modeled as one part, so it is as easy as deleting that very part and adding an endcap. Reasoning behind this request is very simple - presently, 1.25m ports (both stock and modded), or even 0.937m ports cannot be used without looking goofy and oversized, the protruding "tunnel" gets in the way, and original Apollo docking system doesn't always fit a modern playthrough. I have tried removing the chute assembly on my own in Blender, and the capsule looks fabulous with a combined parachute+1.25m docking port piece from ExtraDockingPorts mod, one can fit a LES on it. Unfortunately, the addon I use for importing .mu files into Blender (the standard and afaik only KSP importer addon) messes up textures and materials, creating z-figthing all over the capsule. Maybe the variant could be included in the extras folder, if it doesn't fit any real life prototypes or ETS designs, but it just makes so much sense for a modern capsule to use a modern docking port, and it's just such a simple modification for anyone with Unity.

screenshot543.png?ex=656e62fd&is=655bedf

MEM test article landed on Mars from an interplanetary trajectory. A bit scuffed bit it works. Also confirms that a) the margins are thin and b) Valles is basically the only practical landing site due to the denser atmosphere.

screenshot528.png

Meanwhile, the first orbital mission to Venus returns home after a two year trip, confirming the lifting capacity of a prototype nuclear shuttle. The shuttle will be repurposed as a low orbit tug, and the lessons learned from its flight will serve to improve the next three Nuclear Shuttles.

Edited by Pxtseryu

The  externals and configs take a lot of effort. IVA’s generally aren’t that high on the priority list for most BDB parts.:valsad:

26 minutes ago, funnelton said:

Hey i have a question, im playing with the MOL station parts and wondering: will the IVA's be finalized? 

Some of them are just a bunch of black boxes..

Edited by Teslamax

1 hour ago, funnelton said:

Hey i have a question, im playing with the MOL station parts and wondering: will the IVA's be finalised? 
lDsMjT2.png

Some of them are just a bunch of black boxes..

Can you post your logs?  It’s possible this is expected but if something is going wrong, the logs are vital.