Devnotes Tuesday: A week after the release!

SQUAD

1 hour ago, 5thHorseman said:

...and Schmelta Vee.

I could do without that in stock/vanilla if they added a few more decimal places in the Engineer's report, even though I know delta-V is on the way.

The big thing about delta-V I'm looking forward to is a possible look into the resource crawling code, which could further optimize the game.

@regex the engineer report is three decimal places now.

@Motokid600 you might want to read that thread more :P

@Red Iron Crown et al: as I mention in the dev note it _has_ more clearly exposed an integration issue from PhysX; orbital information does still change slightly frame to frame due to integrator instability. But the change is very smooth now (albeit still cyclical) and you'll at least know what orbit you're getting when you go on rails. And rotating the vessel actually increases orbital stability rather than decreasing it!

As I'm sipping my coffee, I realize now that I myself am a former modder. I just quit development on them because nobody viewed them. So I just deleted the threads. Really my mods were nothing more than just engines and tanks with models taken from stock KSP with credit to PorkJet, Mu, and the KSP team for the models, the engines being incredibly overpowered (as in very efficient and yet high thrust) and the tanks being overpowered too (having a lot of fuel, and weighing less than a ton).

I made those mods just to set my own records for speedrunning from Kerbin to all of the planets within 15 in game days (which I achieved). I might just get back to modding, but only if I can figure it out again, since I am still a bit rusty with .cfg setup and even rustier-er with 3d modeling, since I haven't used Blender in a very long time (I mean last time I released an update to my mods was back in 0.18. 0.18.2 was when I discontinued development)

My mods might be a bit similar to mods like KW Rocketry, but modeled after real life rockets. Who knows, I might even make a Bussard Ramjet engine using CommunityResourcePack and ModuleManager, of course, but I just need to get used to them again.

Oooh, quick thought - if you're re-doing Centre of Mass calculations, might want to take a quick look at http://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/8805

It's very much a low priority issue and the fix these devnotes describe is far more important (and very welcome), but hell, if you're looking at CoM, then it's one that springs to mind.

The TL;DR is that the flight model correctly accounts for the mass of physicsless parts (ie adds to parent's mass) but the VAB/SPH indicators do not. Most noticeable when asymmetrically adding physicsless radial parts to other symmetrically placed radial parts:

Battery - girder - PROBE - girder
                     ^
                     ^ (incorrect vab CoM)

^
            ^ (correct flight CoM)

1 hour ago, sarbian said:

Invent some ? Some are good at doing that.

• Not enough Easter eggs
  • Delta V stats seems too cheaty
  • Console support is pointless
  • Engineer's report needs another decimal (Can always be used: 0.1 - 0.12 - 0.123, etc.)
  • Clouds (Want/don't want)
  • Physics are inaccurate (Can always be used, as technically all computer simulations aren't 100% accurate)
  • Life support (Want/don't want)
  • TWR (Want/don't want)

OK, I guess I went a bit overboard...

47 minutes ago, regex said:

Soon (tm)

43 minutes ago, Curveball Anders said:

"the end of the week" normally means some of days after tomorrow.

Or in a more technical term, when it's ready.

I think you may be misinterpreting my question or I did not state it sufficiently clear. Let me restate:

When is the typical end of a week in Mexico City? It is different depending on country from my experience (and company for that matter).

This is not related to any question or request for a prediction of a release.

Just now, Wallygator said:

I think you are misinterpreting my question. Let me restate:

When is the typical end of a week in Mexico City? It is different depending on country from my experience (and company for that matter).

This is not related to any question or request for a prediction of a release.

A somewhat more serious answer is that it's probably around Friday @ 18-20-ish (UTC-6).

But people working on releasing a patch might view it as 23:59 Sunday evening :wink:

23 hours ago, SQUAD said:

Now that the party is over we are taking sometime to make some VR tests. Nestor (Nestor) is a VR enthusiast and he is very excited to see how those tests will end up looking.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8 hours ago, Curveball Anders said:

I'll venture a guess and say that as a somewhat high profile customer as Squad probably is to Unity, they will get quite some response and help.

Yeah this is what I would expect and is the reason I asked the question. But are they getting the support? This "Wheel Thing" seems ,from what I've read ,is a ongoing problem. I mean I get "pushing the envelope", but with all the talent squad has you would think they wouldn't need a super-coder to pull it off in unity. From what i've read its a unity thing that squad is trying to find a "work around". As a mechanic myself that "work around" thing sounds more like a band-aid then a permanent solution. Squad IMO should not have to resort to those kind of things as much as they have promoted Unity engine.

Edited by Redneck

2 minutes ago, legoclone09 said:

These are shocking words from Regex. I expected "I'll call stock/vanilla golden once the planets are resized", knowing you. (O.K. stock is even too small for me)

Demands for a realistic sized solar system are excellent bait.

I do prefer RO/RSS and the detail therein, but the base game is quite fun as of 1.1. 

10 hours ago, GoSlash27 said:

All,

I just got word back from Arsonide. The landing gear bug looks like it'll be fixed for real in the hot fix, so there'll be no reason to incorporate the strut changes.

The gear fix, OTOH, behaves a lot better than the stock gear, so most of the .cfg changes should make their way into the hot fix.

My read is that this issue should be solved by the patch. In the meantime, we have workable .cfg edits to run with.

Best,
-Slashy 

Props @GoSlash27. And props to @Arsonide & @SQUAD for addressing this so quickly. :)

Are we getting a fix for the "double free() or corruption" crashes on GNU/Linux in this patch?
It's been reported multiple times, and even made it as a "known issue" (no fix) in the "Linux thread". This needs to be fixed, release software that crashes randomly is not a good look.
Very similar crashes are being reported regularly on other platforms too, though I can't test myself.

Wheels and other issues I can wait for, stable client first please, on all supported platforms.

For comparison: 1.0.5 x64 on GNU/Linux, 60+ mods = zero crashes. Seriously, I don't recall ever seeing a crash with native code trace before 1.1.

Edited by steve_v

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.