What funny/interesting thing happened in your life today?

Ultimate Steve

Posted (edited)
On 6/6/2024 at 2:03 AM, Ultimate Steve said:

A question for people more in the know, am I being unreasonable, and need to be more vigilant about checking my email, or did I dodge a bullet?

Takes them quite a bit longer to get back to ME a lot of the time. That said, I do try to get interviews scheduled by the next day when offered, if I can.

If you want to take a day off once in a while, maybe consider setting up an out-of-office response so you have an excuse? Dunno if that'll actually work though.

I've heard many horror stories of people who can't get anything after many months and hundreds of applications.

Hello :P

For the most part I'm just glad I got an interview offer in the first 10 applications

I was interviewed for my first one...13 months ago.

Interview rate per application has been around 4% for me (you don't want to know how small the error bars are on that, lol), high GPA and prior internship would probably bump that up considerably higher.

********MOST IMPORTANTLY********

You are required to send a thank you email after EVERY interview. Assume this is always the case and that even if you show yourself to be the perfect candidate AND clearly express your thanks during the call, you will be rejected on the spot if you don't send a thank you email after the interview on the same day.

This is a secret rule in many places, and I probably shouldn't say what I think of it publically because I'm still trying to get hired.

Edited by cubinator

1 hour ago, cubinator said:

Decided it's finally time to start designing my remote-control plastic-tub submersible.

Have you heard of CPSdrone?

56 minutes ago, BA-Forums said:

Have you heard of CPSdrone?

Just looked them up. My vision is considerably less refined and more silly-looking, but I think I can get something that works.

4 hours ago, cubinator said:

Decided it's finally time to start designing my remote-control plastic-tub submersible.

Just don't dive to Titanic, like the previous one did.

P.S.
"Remote control" doesn't man "uncrewed".

1. Titan was using a remote control from inside the cabin.

2. The pilot may stay on surface, but the passengers be inside.

6 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

2. The pilot may stay on surface, but the passengers be inside.

LEGO guys are standing by for crew selection.

Planning for 100 ft/30 m tether, deploy from kayak.

Edited by cubinator

2 hours ago, cubinator said:

Good luck to them! I lost one of my intrepid Lego astronauts on a rocket mission that broke up 500 feet above a corn field once, hopefully they make it out alive!

Biked 26 miles today.

10 hours ago, cubinator said:

The other interesting thing I thought of doing besides taking photos is scooping up mud samples from the bottom to observe the microbes under my microscope. 

10 hours ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Good luck to them! I lost one of my intrepid Lego astronauts on a rocket mission that broke up 500 feet above a corn field once, hopefully they make it out alive!

RIP…  :cry:

we shall never forget (uhh what’s his name can you tell me please)

4 hours ago, BA-Forums said:

I FINALLY ORDERED MY TEAM YANKEE STARTER SET LETS GOOOO

IMG-3039.jpg

And yet not a single M113 variant?

9 hours ago, DDE said:

And yet not a single M113 variant?

That is also in my cart so when I finish this I’ll get a few M113s. Don’t worry! ;)

It does have the Chadley  uhh I mean Bradley fighting vehicle in it so it is cool

Im gonna paint it up in a 3-tone NATO camo

Edited by BA-Forums

I found a CVC tanker helmet in my room while i was cleaning… I’ll post pics soon (and by soon I mean in a few hours)

Edited by BA-Forums

I had a moral quagmire today about whether it's okay for me to have fun playing war themed video games. It was probably brought on by the last two weeks of intense study of modern day orders of battle and potential conflicts. Topped off with scrolling the "For You" section of Twitter for the first time.

My conclusion is this: it's terrible, but hey, there are worse vices. Ones that physically harm you or even others. If it gives you dopamine every now and then *shrug*

And here's another thing: I know so much more about history and politics now than I did before getting into war themed play (starting with little paper planes I made and leading to video games). Stuff about those two subjects that make me a far more informed person than I might have been had I not gotten into that kind of play. I think as much as this knowledge is terrible, I'm better off having it than not. I can make much more informed decisions in society and be more aware of what's going on in the world.

So I'm going to continue playing war themed video games, despite often feeling awful about turning the end of the lives of thousands of men and women (whether real or hypothetical/fictional) into entertainment.

3 hours ago, SunlitZelkova said:

Topped off with scrolling the "For You" section of Twitter for the first time.

Could you perhaps pick a safer hobby, like bathing in nuclear waste?

4 hours ago, SunlitZelkova said:

And here's another thing: I know so much more about history and politics now than I did before getting into war themed play (starting with little paper planes I made and leading to video games). Stuff about those two subjects that make me a far more informed person than I might have been had I not gotten into that kind of play. I think as much as this knowledge is terrible, I'm better off having it than not.

I think that's part of a broader logic that I've been struggling to formulate as a counterargument to the 'moral guardian' types - the 'depiction is endorsement' ones. Essentially, they demand evil would never be depicted at all, or depicted in such a simplified, cartoonish way that it becomes inconceivable 'we' could commit evil and it's always some sort of 'them'. I think this leads to a rather dubious attitude of cowering away from evil, fearing it, which is not an effective method of reducing its allure.

Play, in general, lets us flex our intellectual and physical muscle to simulate activity that would usually be pretty unwelcome. What were the Olympic Games if not the sublimation of warlike impulses between the poli into a relatively bloodless activity? What share of children who played the local cultural variety of 'cops and robbers' have ended up becoming actual robbers? (and, on that note, actual cops?)

There is certainly a line beyond which games can become "murder simulators", but it requires a receptive mind, and it's rare that enough sick people would gather in one place to develop and market such a game. Most people have a decently functioning individual moral filter.

On 6/12/2024 at 7:33 PM, SunlitZelkova said:

I had a moral quagmire today about whether it's okay for me to have fun playing war themed video games. It was probably brought on by the last two weeks of intense study of modern day orders of battle and potential conflicts. Topped off with scrolling the "For You" section of Twitter for the first time.

My conclusion is this: it's terrible, but hey, there are worse vices. Ones that physically harm you or even others. If it gives you dopamine every now and then *shrug*

And here's another thing: I know so much more about history and politics now than I did before getting into war themed play (starting with little paper planes I made and leading to video games). Stuff about those two subjects that make me a far more informed person than I might have been had I not gotten into that kind of play. I think as much as this knowledge is terrible, I'm better off having it than not. I can make much more informed decisions in society and be more aware of what's going on in the world.

So I'm going to continue playing war themed video games, despite often feeling awful about turning the end of the lives of thousands of men and women (whether real or hypothetical/fictional) into entertainment.

It's worth it to have as accurate an understanding of history as possible. I remember how my understanding of films changed completely after taking an APUSH class. I understood what was happening and why- that's valuable.

I wouldn't say that violence-themed video games (FPS, war-themed, etc.) cause people to be more violent. When it comes down to it, it's so hard to actually do any of the things focused on in those games, because of the physical limitations, but also the moral limitations as well. The people who do those violent things they do in video games are pretty unstable to begin with and might have done those things anyway.

It was Saturday, but I rode the train to Seattle and back to Portland on a day trip.

And near the Tacoma Dome, I saw a very peculiar piece of graffiti on a distant railway bridge (one used for freight).

RIP SERGEI PAVLOVICH FLY HIGH

As expected of such an economically STEM focused region :D Even the delinquents know about space history.

Spoiler

Ironically I also ran into some leftist activists on that day, calling for revolution. Seattle also has a Lenin statue. There was also a poster for a “Gathering of Post-Soviet Queer Jews,” and there was a seemingly plastered shut pirozhki shop downtown.

They say the reason the PNW has so many post-Soviet immigrants is because the climate is similar, but when I occasionally see the weather in Moscow on my phone it’s hard to find a parallel, especially in winter. My mom’s ex-boyfriend did say the weather in the Baltic states is similar though.

So as I’m typing this I had a thought. Is there ever an instance when one kid is exposed to a certain subject in childhood and goes into the exact opposite field as an adult, while another child goes vice versa?

The three years I was in Bellevue were very formative, and it’s where I got interested in aviation. Yet I’m most certainly gonna end up in humanities.

Although, my case doesn’t count probably, because life taking a bad turn and a mental disorder prevented me from ever being to study hard in math and science.