KSP2 Hype Train Thread

Passengers, the train is currently accelerating at a healthy Mach 7. engine pressure has increased a little, and the steam is now so compressed that the water molecules are undergoing fusion, Hype per square inch is has doubled over the past day, and the rate at which this occurs is increasing, next doubling is expected to occur in 18 hours 53 minutes.

Edited by SSTO Crasher

5 minutes ago, Vl3d said:
  Hide contents

vlcsnap-2023-02-16-18h57m21s208.png

Hmm.. yeah it's a nice touch.

Something I'm realizing just now when looking at this perspective of the launch pad.

In KSP1, you are able to go down the ramp. But on KSP2, your vessel is spawned on top of a platform that's sitting on top of the ramp itself, which means that I can't roll down the ramp anymore? :(

That said, I so want to build a cool looking rover and just tour around KSC. It looks so beautifully crafted now.

The VAB is HUGE compared to KSP1's, and so is the Comms Station Antenna. Wondering now if they are destructible too.

Hmmm...

duwJAsQ.jpg

Well here we go! Flight UI as it currently is! Man, this was unexpected considering the gameplay trailer already today, but I'm not complaining.

Just at first glance of the navball I noticed:

1) previously top-right arrow is now a less obtrusive tick mark

2) lines generally look smoother and less pixely

3) shadows around edge of navball are better and help the spherical shape a lot

4) coloring is a little more pronounced

Other parts of UI:

1) Kerbal portrait moved (nice. maybe an option)

2) G-force meter next to Kerbals

3) top-left file-path-like thing with info about the star system, planet, and ship in the scene

4) Solar panel action group (convenient)

Also, looks like a new, larger habitat module in light blue left and right of station.  Either a new part or retextured lab I think.

Edited by Astr0Guy5
Yay analysis

3 hours ago, GoldForest said:

There's no official time. 

Discord isn't official, mods just put it at 8AM because it's a "Happy medium." between 4 am (Rumored launch time) and 12 pm (usual launch time for game releases.). 

(And I chose Austin because it's the only major city I know inside the CST timezone)

Edit: I just NOW noticed the timezone map, apologizes. 

the chart there talking about is on there steam page  they posted this morning.  it has all the time zones on the releases across the world 

13 minutes ago, Astr0Guy5 said:

duwJAsQ.jpg

Well here we go! Flight UI as it currently is! Man, this was unexpected considering the gameplay trailer already today, but I'm not complaining.

Just at first glance of the navball I noticed:

1) previously top-right arrow is now a less obtrusive tick mark

2) lines generally look smoother and less pixely

3) shadows around edge of navball are better and help the spherical shape a lot

4) coloring is a little more pronounced

Other parts of UI:

1) Kerbal portrait moved (nice. maybe an option)

2) G-force meter next to Kerbals

3) top-left file-path-like thing with info about the star system, planet, and ship in the scene

Said elsewhere, but you can see that panels have been added as one of the default toggles, so you no longer need to link them through the AGs.

37 minutes ago, i dont know how to forum said:

Let the UI discussion commence!

sneakpeek_for_discord_version3_7_FINAL_c

The UI looks great.. it gives me a very nice feeling. The navball is chef's kiss! It seems that we can choose a colour theme (this one purple)?

The only thing I don't really like are the oblique lines under the SAS and orientation symbols. They make the symbols harder to parse if they are also grey.

Edited by Vl3d

2 minutes ago, Vl3d said:

The UI looks great.. it gives me a very nice feeling. The navball is chef's kiss! It seems that we can choose a colour theme (this one purple)?

The only thing I don't really like are the oblique lines under the SAS and orientation symbols. They make the symbols harder to parse if they are also grey.

Also note that the IVA view shows empty seats now

zwfoBbu.png

I wonder how that'll scale for vessels with dozens, if not hundreds, of spaces for Kerbals.

Some notes on the UI screenie, for the good and the bad, and ignoring if most of said elements can be hidden or modified ingame:

> Top left bar showing the name and location of current vessel is redundant. Said info belongs to Map View and not Flight View. That screen space could be used for the control bar where mods would show up instead, for example.

> Tapes around the Nav Ball could be a tad smaller, or have the Ball itself fill the remaining amount of the circumference for ease of visibility.

> Throttle is unnecesarily big, and it could be represented in a smaller fashion in between the VEL indicator sticking out of the left and the purple indicator on the top. 
Same goes for the G's and Atmo density indicators.

> Vector icons (Prograde, Normal, Radial, etc) look incredibly small. In fact, I bet most of you haven't even noticed them, because they are quite small.

> GO button should be toggleable. It's redundant to spacebar. The argument of "not having to remember a hotkey" isn't good enough. It's a single key. It works. 

Just... hear me out. I'm not the best at Gimp, the Photoshop of the poor, but I tried my best:

Increased size of Ball, glued the indicators to the diagonals instead of having them hang on the sides. Looks way tidier and cleaner.

6jxpJvV.png

> Terrain looks great from orbit, specially arid/shores (until you look close enough and start seeing squares where water meets land, that doesn't look so nice)

I'm not a fan of the pixely font either, but I'm sure most of those elements are easily moddable and I can see the beauty on its aesthetics, so won't complain a lot about it.

Besides that, I like how crisp and nice shadows look. Those Roll-Out Solar Arrays look super detailed and in general it all looks wonderful.

1 minute ago, MARL_Mk1 said:

> Top left bar showing the name and location of current vessel is redundant. Said info belongs to Map View and not Flight View. That screen space could be used for the control bar where mods would show up instead, for example.

I disagree, numerous times  I have wanted  to check/confirm which craft I'm flying and had to change views just for that. 

Just now, MARL_Mk1 said:

I assume most mods, given KSP 2's extended moddability, should properly integrate themselves into the game rather than be some BDB Big Dumb Button sitting in the corner (again, compare Kerbal Engineer dV readouts with stock KSP dV). Either way, I'm guessing this is going to be an interactive UI element, and would be a convenient way to switch scenes quickly.

2 minutes ago, MARL_Mk1 said:

> GO button should be toggleable. It's redundant to spacebar. The argument of "not having to remember a hotkey" isn't good enough. It's a single key. It works.

Actually, this is probably one of the more underrated changes KSP 2 made. In KSP 1 it was a function with 0 presence in the interface, 0 presence outside the keymap. It's easy to say "it's just one key!" when you've got 4/5 years experience behind you, not so much when you are still learning the game. Besides, the GO button holds the total dV readout, which I'm guessing you'd like to be on-screen at all times.

5 minutes ago, MARL_Mk1 said:

Just... hear me out. I'm not the best at Gimp, the Photoshop of the poor, but I tried my best:

Increased size of Ball, glued the indicators to the diagonals instead of having them hang on the sides. Looks way tidier and cleaner.

6jxpJvV.png

Lopsided would be my chosen descriptor. No space is saved, the navball still extends sideways as much as it did before being adjusted, plus or minus some pixels.

4 minutes ago, MARL_Mk1 said:

Some notes on the UI screenie, for the good and the bad, and ignoring if most of said elements can be hidden or modified ingame:

> Tapes around the Nav Ball could be a tad smaller, or have the Ball itself fill the remaining amount of the circumference for ease of visibility.

> Throttle is unnecesarily big, and it could be represented in a smaller fashion in between the VEL indicator sticking out of the left and the purple indicator on the top. 
Same goes for the G's and Atmo density indicators.

> Vector icons (Prograde, Normal, Radial, etc) look incredibly small. In fact, I bet most of you haven't even noticed them, because they are quite small.

6jxpJvV.png

> Terrain looks great from orbit, specially arid/shores (until you look close enough and start seeing squares where water meets land, that doesn't look so nice)

I'm not a fan of the pixely font either, but I'm sure most of those elements are easily moddable and I can see the beauty on its aesthetics, so won't complain a lot about it.

Besides that, I like how crisp and nice shadows look. Those Roll-Out Solar Arrays look super detailed and in general it all looks wonderful.

I agree with the navball being larger. But I like the spacing how it is implemented. Also the throttle should be BIG, because POWER.

1 minute ago, pandaman said:

I disagree, numerous times  I have wanted  to check/confirm which craft I'm flying and had to change views just for that. 

100% agreed. The player shouldn't have to go beyond the flight view for information that doesn't pertain to their mission plan.

Oh, and the most INFURIATING detail.

8UaNle3.png

WHAT is THIS, Intercept?

How dare YOU change Untitled Space Craft to "Default Name"?

I'm buying just to refund it afterwards.

Spoiler

Joking, of course.

Edited by MARL_Mk1

12 minutes ago, gussi111 said:

Upon closer inspection when looking at the shoreline from orbit it looks... blocky?

You could say that, but I didn't even notice that until you mentioned it. Probably a LOD thing being in orbit and all.

My only real gripe right now is the color scheme for the tapes. Purple/Violet are colors I have a hard time seeing. (The lack of contrast with the black background.) I hope you can change the UI colors.

Edited by shdwlrd

2 hours ago, zeekzeek22 said:

Love how in the opening seconds showing the launch pad, there's propellant lines going to the pad, but they added little dirt mounds on either size that are *certainly* sized so that you can jump a rover over them. Like yes, they are realistic to protect them from launch exhaust, but I feel like they look very deliberately sized/spaced.

Always used the pad and the raised rail tracks out to it for testing rovers.  If that work it was the launchpad itself if appropriate, high speed rover and not movable base :)