A week in... 10% still playing

JoeSchmuckatelli

1 hour ago, K^2 said:

Why does that factor into it? If I'm sure that I'll buy the game eventually, what is the actual difference between me spending $50 now or $50 then. (I'm not even considering the likely price increase. Forget about it. I'm not trying to save on the difference here.) The net loss to me is $50 either way.

The difference is that I get to try the game and see how the development is going and to have something to compare it to as the game gets finished. I can try it for an hour and decide it's unplayable. (In reality, I've put in about 20 hours total by now.) Or I don't do any of that, and still get the full game later on. Either experience costs me $50. Where am I taking a loss by getting the early access now?

Quality does matter, it can be measured against the price now, the price in the future, and comparatively against the quality you'd get on other titles of the same price or the projected release price. Sadly there aren't many good analogies for this, but it'd be akin to you saying there's no difference purchasing a totaled car now vs a working one, just because you know the car will be fixed in the future (even if at no cost). You have no certainty the car will indeed be fixed, and it could still be a bad deal in the future, or comparatively vs the good car now.

Sure, you get to try and drive a totaled car now, I'll get to drive a car in a couple years at a fraction of the price, or a working car now at the same price, or a collection of lesser cars now at the same total. At any rate, it seems that quality does not matter to you. but you shouldn't go from that to removing it from a cost of opportunity analysis though.

1 hour ago, K^2 said:

spending $70 for any game ever is stupid.

It is. Nowadays you pay $70 for:

1. Playing it as soon as it comes out (which most times has meant playing it in its worst state).
  2. Getting a live service, microtransaction plagued mess.
  3. Probably some "early bird" bonus.

Forego those 3 and most games are actually worth half that, sometimes even less.

40 minutes ago, PDCWolf said:

and it could still be a bad deal in the future, or comparatively vs the good car now.

In this analogy, I already got the cars I wanted now. I don't have the time to drive more cars, and the rare wreck that I, personally, have confidence will get fixed, makes for a nice conversation piece in the meanwhile.

Again, I repeat, if spending money on KSP2 EA right now blocks someone from buying and enjoying another game right now, they shouldn't be buying KSP2 EA. A lot of people here are time-limited in how many games they can enjoy, not budget-limited. That doesn't mean that simply throwing away $50 would be sensible, but it drastically alters the marginal utility of spending the money now vs later.

44 minutes ago, PDCWolf said:

It is.

Well, then we don't really have a topic for conversation. Wait for a deep sale. Even if KSP2 EA was flawless, if this is your stance, you still want to wait for the full release, then another few months, and pick it up during one of the Steam's holiday sales, and the state of the game makes absolutely zero impact on that decision.

Either you take the position that it is sometimes worth to buy the game for its full price, or you take the position that you should always wait for a sale. I'm not saying that either one of these is wrong - it's honestly a personal choice involving a multitude of your own preferences and even, to some extent, your self-restraint of buying something while it's new and shiny. But you can't have it both ways. Either you wait for sales, and then you're not the demographic for this game - PD is not going to get the full price out of you anyways, so why should they give you a discount now? Or you're the kind of person who will purchase the games early after the release, and then we go back to the balance described above. Either one's fine, but you have to recognize that people who are making the other decision aren't acting irrationally. They have a different preference and marginal utility of the money they can spend on games.

1 hour ago, K^2 said:

In this analogy, I already got the cars I wanted now. I don't have the time to drive more cars, and the rare wreck that I, personally, have confidence will get fixed, makes for a nice conversation piece in the meanwhile.

Again, I repeat, if spending money on KSP2 EA right now blocks someone from buying and enjoying another game right now, they shouldn't be buying KSP2 EA. A lot of people here are time-limited in how many games they can enjoy, not budget-limited. That doesn't mean that simply throwing away $50 would be sensible, but it drastically alters the marginal utility of spending the money now vs later.

Well, then we don't really have a topic for conversation. Wait for a deep sale. Even if KSP2 EA was flawless, if this is your stance, you still want to wait for the full release, then another few months, and pick it up during one of the Steam's holiday sales, and the state of the game makes absolutely zero impact on that decision.

Either you take the position that it is sometimes worth to buy the game for its full price, or you take the position that you should always wait for a sale. I'm not saying that either one of these is wrong - it's honestly a personal choice involving a multitude of your own preferences and even, to some extent, your self-restraint of buying something while it's new and shiny. But you can't have it both ways. Either you wait for sales, and then you're not the demographic for this game - PD is not going to get the full price out of you anyways, so why should they give you a discount now? Or you're the kind of person who will purchase the games early after the release, and then we go back to the balance described above. Either one's fine, but you have to recognize that people who are making the other decision aren't acting irrationally. They have a different preference and marginal utility of the money they can spend on games.

Interestingly, the facts page basically states the price would increase once 1.0 is released.

Quote: 

Will the game be priced differently during and after Early Access?

Yes, KSP 2 will sell for $49.99 (SRP) during Early Access, and we expect that the price will be raised at 1.0 release.

https://www.kerbalspaceprogram.com/games-kerbal-space-program-2

Also the page states that initial release of EA will include: 

Hundreds of new and improved parts including engines, procedural wings, and more. 

4 hours ago, K^2 said:

Why does that factor into it? If I'm sure that I'll buy the game eventually, what is the actual difference between me spending $50 now or $50 then. (I'm not even considering the likely price increase. Forget about it. I'm not trying to save on the difference here.) The net loss to me is $50 either way.

My crystal ball doesn't work as well as yours, it seems. Or I've been bitten enough more times than you that I'm quite a bit less sure than you are.

Personally I don't care that much about opportunity cost. The opportunity cost of $50 is a nice dinner out. Actually more like 65% of a nice dinner out.

I'm  just not going to buy something I won't play, no matter who says how much better it'll be in some far off nebulous future. When that future comes I'll be right there. I expect it to happen when Science drops but who knows. I expected it to happen when the game dropped at all and it didn't.

7 hours ago, K^2 said:

I'm not sure why you're trying to convince other people that your pessimism is the only rational state of being, and everyone else is an idiot

It seems you are fighting a fictional scarecrow

7 hours ago, K^2 said:

without any relevant experience to actually help you make predictions like that

It's amazing how often you refer to your vast experience without giving any specifics.

7 hours ago, K^2 said:

You can make your own decision. Unlike you, I'm not trying to convince you to buy the game. And I'm not trying to convince anyone else to buy the game.

And I did not convince anyone, I just give my opinion

7 hours ago, K^2 said:

At this point, you're just being a person on a soapbox telling everyone the end is near.

What point?  What are you even talking about? Is it just slipping into such florid insults?

@Alexoff It's not worth it.  I mostly stopped reading & engaging with this forum because of a couple of posters, [snip] because it's just walls and walls of text, along with not very subtle insults, coupled with an apparent wide latitude granted by the powers that be to disparage both specific individuals like yourself and the wider community because this person is on the pro-KSP2 side. 

Of course, it's the ksp2 forum, so that's not surprising, and you can't really expect true  fairness, so the best strategy is to simply not engage, nothing is ever going to come of doing so.

Edited by Vanamonde

31 minutes ago, Alexoff said:

It's amazing how often you refer to your vast experience without giving any specifics.

I've provided details in a number of threads over a number of years. But to save you trouble, here's Kat in a nutshell: Particle Theory, ABD. Two startups, two AAA studios, one mid-size, and a FAANG company in no particular order. One published paper. Two software patents, both implemented in shipped games. Two shipped products. Three shipped games, about to ship a fourth. Two you know, two you might have heard of. For the past four years or so, I've been leading teams with total head counts from 3 to 7 engineers, including various combinations of direct reports, indirect reports, and contractors. That includes hiring, performance reviews, promotions, road maps, sprint planning, and milestone approval processes. On the engineering side, I specialize in bespoke engines, with focus on physics and animation and everything that heavily involves, like memory management, numerical performance optimization, and threading.

8 hours ago, K^2 said:

If you're gonna remove all variables and your end result is "I really want this game even if only to talk about it", you were never doing an opportunity cost analysis, you're just trying to justify your spent $50. If you or anyone wants the game that much, that's great, but don't say it's the result of a cost of opportunity analysis, it is not.

8 hours ago, K^2 said:

Either you take the position that it is sometimes worth to buy the game for its full price, or you take the position that you should always wait for a sale.

We were talking about a cost of opportunity analysis. Thankfully for business owners worldwide, they're not subjective.

10 hours ago, K^2 said:

I've provided details in a number of threads over a number of years.

I think with your incredible experience (in excuses why devs can't do a good job?) you could help the devs a lot to finish the game. I can also add that since you believe in its rise in price in the future and an increase in demand, then you can buy steam keys for KSP2 in order to sell them to those who wish more expensively.

8 hours ago, PDCWolf said:

If you're gonna remove all variables and your end result is "I really want this game even if only to talk about it", you were never doing an opportunity cost analysis, you're just trying to justify your spent $50. If you or anyone wants the game that much, that's great, but don't say it's the result of a cost of opportunity analysis, it is not.

You keep saying that, but you refuse to tell me what is the opportunity I'm missing out on. What am I supposed to do with these $50? Buy another game? I already bought the games I want to play. I don't have time to play more games. If I buy another one, it just sits in my Steam library. That's an actual waste of money. Invest it? Then the cost of opportunity is the interest on $50. That's a cup of coffee over the next few years if things go well for my investment. Not meaningful.

What is the opportunity that I'm missing?

1 hour ago, Alexoff said:

I think with your incredible experience (in excuses why devs can't do a good job?) you could help the devs a lot to finish the game.

Or, you know, I can do that for a game I'm actually paid to develop.

I can also add that since you believe in its rise in price in the future and an increase in demand, then you can buy steam keys for KSP2 in order to sell them to those who wish more expensively.

I'd have to undercut Steam to make any sales. Even if I was going to buy the keys for $50, and they were going for $70, maybe I could sell for $60. (Though, there are so many key scams, that "Trust me, this is a good key for $60," is not always a convincing pitch.) Then pay the cut to the storefront where I did the sales (or roll my own, advertise it somehow, still pay a cut to Stripe or whomever). Then do all the tax work. If I make a 5% RoI on these keys, I'd be lucky. And that's if the game doesn't release for $60, which is a real possibility here.

Why would I do any of that? I can dump money I can invest into my mortgage principal and get 4% over the next couple of decades. And that takes a couple of clicks for me. Why would I want the headache above?

Money shouldn't be a foreign concept that needs to be explained like this. Unless you're still in college, and probably even if you are, you should have better grasp of finances and what is actually worth doing and what's an absolute waste of time if not an actual waste of money.

14 minutes ago, K^2 said:

Or, you know, I can do that for a game I'm actually paid to develop.

I think in T2 you will be paid, besides, it will be work on your favorite game

18 minutes ago, K^2 said:

Why would I do any of that? I can dump money I can invest into my mortgage principal and get 4% over the next couple of decades. And that takes a couple of clicks for me. Why would I want the headache above?

Of course, I did not propose to arrange a business with a mass purchase of keys, rather it is something like a bet. I think that in the Christmas sale KSP2 will cost 20-30 bucks and therefore such a game is losing. You are sure that the price will only grow, here is a small profit and the joy of being right.

24 minutes ago, K^2 said:

Unless you're still in college, and probably even if you are, you should have better grasp of finances and what is actually worth doing and what's an absolute waste of time if not an actual waste of money.

I've been a postdoc for a long time now and luckily my family owns more properties than family members. Therefore, my attitude towards money is somewhat different from the usual. A year and a half ago I bought a small indie game for 5 bucks and I was so impressed with it that I must have already donated more than 500 bucks to them so that the developers would continue developing it. So money is to spend, not to make more money. But this is all offtopic, of course.

20 minutes ago, K^2 said:

You keep saying that, but you refuse to tell me what is the opportunity I'm missing out on. What am I supposed to do with these $50? Buy another game? I already bought the games I want to play. I don't have time to play more games. If I buy another one, it just sits in my Steam library. That's an actual waste of money. Invest it? Then the cost of opportunity is the interest on $50. That's a cup of coffee over the next few years if things go well for my investment. Not meaningful.

What is the opportunity that I'm missing?

I don't think you're "missing" them, missing sounds accidental. To this point you've already admitted to considering your money worthless, other games worthless, your time worthless, investment returns worthless, the price increase worthless, possible sales also worthless, and that you prefer a non working "car", which you had to add "rare" to it because you know, gotta scrape that value from somewhere.

This is why I originally said the game is a godsend to you and Regex. Buying KSP2 for you is not the result of a cost of opportunity analysis, it's more the result of a whim, or blind loyalty, or some other strong emotion.

I think in T2 you will be paid, besides, it will be work on your favorite game

Who said it's my favorite? And while T2 has properties that would pay well enough, for me to have a comparable comp, this probably isn't one of them. At the Intercept, I'd have to be basically head of their engineering to be earning as much, at which point, I would personally recommend to them to hire someone with more Unity experience for that position. I can do the job adequately well, but at my comp level, you can find someone with experience that's a better fit for the role.

I also happen to enjoy life-work balance in my current position, have a great team of experts to work with, get direct support from Intel, AMD, Sony, and Microsoft to make sure we can deliver the best experience across all platforms, and I expect an absolutely disgusting ship bonus. I should give that up to work in a mid-size why exactly? Outside of jumping on board of a new studio as CTO and co-founder, I don't have a lot of incentive to do something else. And the economy isn't in the best place for that right now. Maybe in a couple of years.

You know, for somebody who keeps trying to convince me that I've made a terrible mistake in buying a game for $50, your career advice has been absolutely awful so far. "Hey, you're so stupid to waste $50, here's what you can do to waste at least $50k!" No, thanks.

1 hour ago, PDCWolf said:

To this point you've already admitted to considering your money worthless

I mean, have fun tilling at that windmill. I've outlined precisely where my experience comes from, why I'm sufficiently confident that I'd be buying KSP2 eventually anyways, and why, therefore, spending the money now or later is of no consequence. You keep treating money as something absolutely binary, that I've either spent on something that brings me instant gratification, or I have wasted it. If you cannot even imagine money working any other way, then I cannot help you.

1 hour ago, PDCWolf said:

it's more the result of a whim

I buy every game on a whim. Games are a thing of whimsy. I  get no nutrition nor shelter from games, Wolf. That's not how games work.

15 hours ago, K^2 said:

You know, for somebody who keeps trying to convince me that I've made a terrible mistake in buying a game for $50

"This game is a waste for me therefore it's a waste for everyone" seems to be how these people think. You speak complete logic, but complete logic didn't draw these people to winge about this game every day instead of just sticking to the KSP 1 forums.

I didn't waste my life 2019-2023 checking on KSP 2 every single day and making it the one thing I fantasize about every night, and it shows in the fact I haven't torn my furniture up over EA not arriving with the flagship features immediately in the game.

On 5/6/2023 at 1:39 AM, K^2 said:

"Hey, you're so stupid to waste $50, here's what you can do to waste at least $50k!" No, thanks.

You seem to have a low opinion of a career in T2? This must be why the game is developed by people with modest experience, although with great confidence in the future. At least in words.

Meanwhile, KSP2 online on Steam did not exceed 600 people in the evening from Saturday to Sunday. There should be more and more people buying KSP2 in EGS or stop running the game through the launcher.

11 minutes ago, Wallygator said:

I'm playing on Mac, I expect people like me will just ignore KSP2 until it's ported.

Sad really.

Although I won't recommend playing KSP2 at this point, you do have the option of emulating Windows on a Mac.  Which could then be used to play KSP2.

3 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

Mac really isn't the sort of OS you want to use for games.

The OS itself is perfectly fine for games. The largest barrier to developing for OSX is usually the Metal API for rendering, which isn't even bad - in some respects it's better than DirectX 12, but it's very different. So if you want a game that runs cross platform, you have to have resources for developing for both. Or hire somebody to provide the port.

Unity does support Metal, meaning making a Windows/Mac cross platform game is actually easier than ever. But you do still have considerable overhead. You still need to test on OSX, because not every bug will show up on Windows, you have to make sure all of the controls and key combos work as expected. There can be little problems with material shaders due to the differences between DirectX12 and Metal, and these have to be fixed. All of the performance bottlenecks are going to shift a little. There might be little hick ups in networking.

They're all fairly minor problems, but there are a lot of them, spread throughout the code base. It would easily require at least one engineer, one tech artist, and maybe one or two QA working on it full time. Would that be worth it? Possibly once the 1.0 is ready. Apple has a pretty big cut of the market, and at least their high end laptops should be perfectly capable of meeting KSP2's minspec. It's definitely not the overhead you want to take on while in the early access, though. So while I kind of expect an official Mac port, I don't expect it to happen at least until whenever the console release is.

How Not to Argue: KSP 2 Edition

Poor arguments to make

“Pessimistic” arguments

• “I wasted $50 dollars on this game!”
    • While the current state of the game may leave much to be desired, it is your responsibility as the customer to do your research before buying the game. If spending $50 on KSP 2 right now seems like a risk, then don’t spend the $50 dollars. Or do, and just keep the game on standby until the game hopefully improves.
  • ”The devs are [insert negative adjective here] for how they’ve handled KSP 2’s delivery”
    • Don’t simply attribute the current state of KSP 2 to the developers’ dispositions without also considering their situation. The KSP 2 devs could actually be a set wonderful, passionate people who are dealing with poor circumstances. 
  • “Being optimistic about this game is not okay”
    • Very rarely are things in this world so black and white. Yes, KSP 2 has some things to be happy about. Yes, KSP 2 has some things to be sad about. Raw opinions about the quality of a space flight video game don’t merit universal “right” or “wrong” status.
  • ”This game should have been awesome at launch”
    • Ambitious games take longer to develop. KSP 2 is both hugely ambitious and unique in concept, so it isn’t unexpected that it has some problems out of the gate. It will naturally take some time to get community feedback and fix those issues.

“Optimistic” arguments

• “Stop being pessimistic; have faith in the developers”
    • And what happens if the developers don’t deliver? What then? You may have reasonable evidence to believe that the developers are going to (or will continue to) make KSP 2 amazing; however, many people on this forum have equally reasonable evidence to have concerns about the future of KSP 2. Blind faith is useless in an argument; solid evidence and analysis is not.
  • ”Stop arguing about the price; $50 is a completely reasonable price”
    • You may love KSP 2 in its current state. Others are disappointed by the lack of features and the endless bugs. $50 is a completely reasonable price…for you.
  • “Stop hating”
    • Not all people who express disappointment and pessimism are haters. Some of us have solid evidence to back up our arguments, and we want to express our feelings. 
      • Not all of us necessarily express those feelings appropriately, though.
  • ”Stop being upset that you have to wait for [insert feature not yet in the game]. Waiting is just part of the process”
    • While making a great game understandably takes lots of time, some waits are just too long. KSP 2 has already been delayed several times, and now updates towards 1.0 are going to slow down. Some people may fear that they paid $50 for a game that will be unplayable and/or incomplete for years and years to come. 

“Neutral” arguments / argument tactics

• Using dumb insults in an argument
    • Solid facts, evidence, and analysis are the things that will both win you arguments and garner respect. Saying things like “oh, what do you know?” and “you sound like a twelve year old” will not.
  • Arguing with those who refuse to listen
    • You may have the better argument, but as infuriating as it is, sometimes you just have to walk away. If an argument isn’t going anywhere productive, then it’s not worth continuing.
  • ”I’m right because the majority agrees with me”
    • Quality over quantity. If the majority believes that the proper way of destroying an active hornet nest is with a baseball bat, then I’m okay with being wrong. 

My current thoughts on KSP 2

Kerbal Space Program 2’s present situation is somewhat similar to that of early No Man’s Sky’s. Too many features were promised during KSP 2’s development, and too many of those features were not present at launch. Now, the KSP 2 team is slowing down the cadence of new updates and patches in order to focus on significantly improving the game, perhaps like how the No Man’s Sky team went silent for weeks after launch to work on their first big update. What happens next mostly depends on the passion and perseverance of the KSP 2 dev team. While fans certainly have the right to be disappointed and pessimistic, there’s also good reason to be hopeful of KSP 2’s future.  

Edited by wpetula

10 minutes ago, wpetula said:

Poor arguments to make

“Pessimistic” arguments

• “I wasted $50 dollars on this game!”
    • While the current state of the game may leave much to be desired, it is your responsibility as the customer to do your research before buying the game. If spending $50 on KSP 2 right now seems like a risk, then don’t spend the $50 dollars. Or do, and just keep the game on standby until the game hopefully improves.
  • ”The devs are [insert negative adjective here] for how they’ve handled KSP 2’s delivery”
    • Don’t simply attribute the current state of KSP 2 to the developers’ dispositions without also considering their situation. The KSP 2 devs could actually be a set wonderful, passionate people who are dealing with poor circumstances. 
  • “Being optimistic about this game is not okay”
    • Very rarely are things in this world so black and white. Yes, KSP 2 has some things to be happy about. Yes, KSP 2 has some things to be sad about. Raw opinions about the quality of a space flight video game don’t merit universal “right” or “wrong” status.
  • ”This game should have been awesome at launch”
    • Ambitious games take longer to develop. KSP 2 is both hugely ambitious and unique in concept, so it isn’t unexpected that it has some problems out of the gate. It will naturally take some time to get community feedback and fix those issues.

“Optimistic” arguments

• “Stop being pessimistic; have faith in the developers”
    • And what happens if the developers don’t deliver? What then? You may have reasonable evidence to believe that the developers are going to (or will continue to) make KSP 2 amazing; however, many people on this forum have equally reasonable evidence to have concerns about the future of KSP 2. Blind faith is useless in an argument; solid evidence and analysis is not.
  • ”Stop arguing about the price; $50 is a completely reasonable price”
    • You may love KSP 2 in its current state. Others are disappointed by the lack of features and the endless bugs. $50 is a completely reasonable price…for you.
  • “Stop hating”
    • Not all people who express disappointment and pessimism are haters. Some of us have solid evidence to back up our arguments, and we want to express our feelings. 
      • Not all of us necessarily express those feelings appropriately, though.
  • ”Stop being upset that you have to wait for [insert feature not yet in the game]. Waiting is just part of the process”
    • While making a great game understandably takes lots of time, some waits are just too long. KSP 2 has already been delayed several times, and now updates towards 1.0 are going to slow down. Some people may fear that they paid $50 for a game that will be unplayable and/or incomplete for years and years to come. 

“Neutral” arguments / argument tactics

• Using dumb insults in an argument
    • Solid facts, evidence, and analysis are the things that will both win you arguments and garner respect. Saying things like “oh, what do you know?” and “you sound like a twelve year old” will not.
  • Arguing with those who refuse to listen
    • You may have the better argument, but as infuriating as it is, sometimes you just have to walk away. If an argument isn’t going anywhere productive, then it’s not worth continuing.
  • ”I’m right because the majority agrees with me”
    • Quality over quantity. If the majority believes that the proper way of destroying an active hornet nest is with a baseball bat, then I’m okay with being wrong. 

My current thoughts on KSP 2

Kerbal Space Program 2’s present situation closely mirrors that of early No Man’s Sky’s. Too many features were promised during KSP 2’s development, and too many of those features were not present at launch. Now, the KSP 2 team is slowing down the cadence of new updates and patches in order to focus on significantly improving the game, similarly to how the No Man’s Sky team went silent for weeks after launch to work on their first big update. What happens next mostly depends on the passion and perseverance of the KSP 2 dev team. While fans certainly have the right to be disappointed and pessimistic, there’s also good reason to be hopeful of KSP 2’s future.  

Well said

Poor arguments to make

“Optimistic” arguments

1 hour ago, wpetula said:

Kerbal Space Program 2’s present situation closely mirrors that of early No Man’s Sky’s. Too many features were promised during KSP 2’s development, and too many of those features were not present at launch. Now, the KSP 2 team is slowing down the cadence of new updates and patches in order to focus on significantly improving the game, similarly to how the No Man’s Sky team went silent for weeks after launch to work on their first big update.

Are there many other such examples of miraculous resurrection? The fact that everyone has been referring to NMS for many years only says that this is an exception to the rule. There the story was very different. The game was in development for three years, the office was flooded with a flood that damaged computers, the number of developers was very small, and the engine was specially created for an incredible number of huge planets. The game, even with a bad start, brought the creators a lot of money, which not only paid off the development costs, but also allowed them to finish the game for years. Of course, they could spend all the money on yachts and a beautiful life, but they chose the game.