Kerbal Space Program 2 (not dying and getting a new owner) Hype Train.

AtomicTech

1 hour ago, Alpha_star said:

Someone has putten some serious amount of coal into the hype train!

I honestly imagined hype train as a new, fancy, magnetic levitation thingy, instead of a rusty, coal consuming, better than walking relic from the previous century. Oh well. Choo, choo!

4 hours ago, cocoscacao said:

I honestly imagined hype train as a new, fancy, magnetic levitation thingy, instead of a rusty, coal consuming, better than walking relic from the previous century. Oh well. Choo, choo!

Yes and to me it’s a rocket train powered by the Kraken! Couldn’t be more Kerbal.

On 9/30/2023 at 1:48 AM, cocoscacao said:

Well, let's change it! MORE FUSION PELLETS FOR THE TOKAMAK! Choo, choo FSSHHH, WHIRRRR! ;)

In all seriousness, the Hype Train is dying. Our conductor has bailed, and more and more critical bugs are revealing themselves. Orbital decay, wobbly rockets, and now the registry bug. I've tried to keep up hype and stay positive, but even my hope for the game is waning. I thought that the devs had gotten their stuff together and fixed most of the game within the first couple of patches, but... *sighs*

I don't even play the game that much. I've tried to maintain a positive outlook, and I'll continue to do so, but it might be time to face facts one day.

I guess it's off to the Hype Train Interstellar Colony Ship's hibernation bay. It's been an honor.

Spoiler

Well that was overly dramatic.

Edited by TwoCalories

On 10/2/2023 at 12:40 AM, TwoCalories said:

Well, let's change it! MORE FUSION PELLETS FOR THE TOKAMAK! Choo, choo FSSHHH, WHIRRRR! ;)

In all seriousness, the Hype Train is dying. Our conductor has bailed, and more and more critical bugs are revealing themselves. Orbital decay, wobbly rockets, and now the registry bug. I've tried to keep up hype and stay positive, but even my hope for the game is waning. I thought that the devs had gotten their stuff together and fixed most of the game within the first couple of patches, but... *sighs*

I don't even play the game that much. I've tried to maintain a positive outlook, and I'll continue to do so, but it might be time to face facts one day.

I guess it's off to the Hype Train Interstellar Colony Ship's hibernation bay. It's been an honor.

Hide contents

But a hotfix, namely 0.1.4.1 has just came out a few days ago. It *mostly* fixes the orbital decay bug and also smashes the registry bug. It gives us more detirium and helium to put into the fusion chamber! 

On 10/2/2023 at 12:40 AM, TwoCalories said:

Reveal hidden contents

Wait, so a tokamak fusion device is actually a propulsion system, or are you talking about a nuclear engine?

Spoiler

Actually you can use the fusion reactor to power some ion engines or just a hype drive. HYPE!

• 2 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, Alpha_star said:

Full hype towards patch 0.1.5 which will give us a brand new game engine, some fantastic visual effects about heating and (hopefully) new parts! HYPE!

They never said anything about reentry vfx being in patch 5, don’t get your hopes up.

And it’s a new version of the game engine, not a new game engine (Unity 2020.3.33f1 => Unity 2022.3.5f1). Which is still great, especially for modders!

Edited by Spicat

17 minutes ago, Spicat said:

They never said anything about reentry vfx being in patch 5, don’t get your hopes up.

And it’s a new version of the game engine, not a new game engine (Unity 2020.3.33f1 => Unity 2022.3.5f1). Which is still great, especially for modders!

16 minutes ago, gluckez said:

lol, that's not gonna happen.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that it was an engine update, not something brand new. Switching out what the game relies on completely and adopt it in order for it to run on another engine is always a tough job and will likely not happen to our dear game.

However, Dakota does mention that new features will come in along with patch 5, which is somewhat a confirmation for reentry effects and/or CBT terrain generation and/or a new boyancy system. Since reentry is likely the most polished, my guess is that it will come with 0.1.5.

Just a guess.

10 minutes ago, Alpha_star said:

Sorry, I forgot to mention that it was an engine update, not something brand new.

yeah, My bad. @Spicat mentioned that in his comment at the same time I was typing mine, so I missed that. Although updating Unity versions can be tricky as well, especially if assets don't transfer properly, and prefabs break. I've had a lot of issues with that myself.

As for patch 5, I really hope it drops soon because 1 hotfix in 2 months is just not good enough. I know it's difficult, but to have no news on what's happening is just a pain :(

1 hour ago, Alpha_star said:

However, Dakota does mention that new features will come in along with patch 5, which is somewhat a confirmation for reentry effects and/or CBT terrain generation and/or a new boyancy system. Since reentry is likely the most polished, my guess is that it will come with 0.1.5.

Here the original messages regarding that

Screenshot_2023-10-17_161359.png?ex=6541

19 hours ago, Datau03 said:

Here the original messages regarding that

Screenshot_2023-10-17_161359.png?ex=6541

So yeah, 0.1.5 will include new features and is officially confirmed to do so in the upcoming future. My guess is still reentry heating effects since it is the one that has been waited for months and the developers already have a visual effect waiting to be implemented into the game. Of course, if they count the unity update as the new feature or implements something else like CBT or new water physics, I won't be surprised. But still, rooting for reentry effects.

Anyways, this does put more coal uranium into the boiler nuclear reactor so guess we can finally have enough power to re-engage the hype drive!

9 hours ago, Alpha_star said:

So yeah, 0.1.5 will include new features and is officially confirmed to do so in the upcoming future. My guess is still reentry heating effects since it is the one that has been waited for months and the developers already have a visual effect waiting to be implemented into the game. Of course, if they count the unity update as the new feature or implements something else like CBT or new water physics, I won't be surprised. But still, rooting for reentry effects.

Anyways, this does put more coal uranium into the boiler nuclear reactor so guess we can finally have enough power to re-engage the hype drive!

The thing is, has the expectation for the game sank so low as to think re-entry heating and effects is 'new features'? Like, this is something that was meant to be in the game and only taken out not long before release. Don't get me wrong, I'd be nice to see something happening that is positive.

Its sad seeing the strain this sequel has put on the community. When I go on the forums, it feels like a desert with a few stragglers. I really hope, even if KSP 2 completely fails and Private Division pulls the plug (witch if I was a CEO and a saw the numbers, I wouldn't see a reason not to, its sad, but its true), I hope the community will bounce back, make some new mods or something because KSP can live as long as people keep putting stuff into it. This game has been a massive part of my life for the latter half of 5 years, though this is my first post on the forums, I have watched this community and how kind the people in it are. There is just so much here in this community. Maybe im seeing it wrong, please, tell me if im wrong because I genuinly want to know what others think, or if im alone on this one. 

Note: I am not saying that KSP 2 couldn't be good in the future, I am just seeing a lot of patterns that have repeated themselves throughout the history of videogames, the very VERY few make it past. I am sorry, but I cant say my hopes are too high, but I hope im wrong. I hope this will be a No Mans Sky situation were over time it delivers everything it set out to do and even more. I am also saying the devs aren't trying on the game either. None of us know what they have been doing, they may have gotten to ambitious, burnt out, or got pressured by big CEO man to publish the game NOW because we dont want to loose the hype. I can see a lot of real charm in the game, but, even the most sturdy brick wont hold up a house with a family of Kraken living in it. 

I do hope the best, whatever the KSP2 future, hopping that it will be good even if it's in 5 years, but in any case i'll really hope the best for this community, for KSP1 at least.

KSP2 damaged so much the franchise, the interest, the modding sphere, it divided users, it gave hope for a new opus that would last another decade and there is a lot of players like me that kinda can't properly return to KSP1 just because the 2 exists. I know it sounds silly for people that are not in this mindset, you do you, but I guess it's something important for a good proportion of players, it's not natural to keep playing or completely returning to the 1st game if the second one is aspiring all the momentum of the community, with a bad mood especially, if there is still hope to get it good, if we know that further dev / mods won't be as focus as before on the first one. It's an uncomfortable "In between".