You promised us communication, where is it?

RayneCloud

Gotta say, I'm pretty disappointed at the moment at the near radio silence, or the complete lack of communication. The dev chats are fun and all, but where are the weekly posts from Nate? Why are we back to having to look at Discord and getting nothing here? Can we have something please? About 1.5? Or am I just not seeing the communication that was promised? Can we have something please?

Edited by RayneCloud

19 minutes ago, RayneCloud said:

Gotta say, I'm pretty disappointed at the moment at the near radio silence, or the complete lack of communication. The dev chats are fun and all, but where are the weekly posts from Nate? Why are we back to having to look at Discord and getting nothing here? Can we have something please? About 1.5? Or am I just not seeing the communication that was promised? Can we have something please?

They've reduced communications frequency to improve the communication quality.  By reducing frequency to 0, quality will be infinite. 

Or they don't want to communicate with bots and only people on the discord are non-bots. 

Or the whole communications and transparency thing was not a promise and not even real, just us impatient gamers hallucinating things, imagining they said they'd communicate.

Who cares anyway, the game will be perfect in 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024, 2025, 2026...or whenever, and any time spent catering to the fans, caring about current player count or fan happiness is wasted, the 100million people who will play KSP2 in 2030 wont care about the salty fans who cared about the franchise in 2023.

1 hour ago, RayneCloud said:

They've been sending out stuff over on the Discord but I understand the frustration of near radio-silence in the forums.

42 minutes ago, RocketRockington said:

They've reduced communications frequency to improve the communication quality.  By reducing frequency to 0, quality will be infinite. 

I don't necessarily agree with it but this comment is really heckin' funny :joy:

There should be K E.R.B. on Friday, there was a dev chat on September 1st, there are short updates on Discord which you can find on dev tracker (if it works), last week we learned that 1.5 comes with new feature(s).

It's not like they completely disappeared from around here.

3 hours ago, RayneCloud said:

Ignoring the communication that's happening doesn't mean it's not there. The post Pthigrivi shared is good.

59 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

The post Pthigrivi shared is good.

Honestly I think it is bad. Well it also highlights the currently bad state of development process, so maybe it is good?

The reason for me is: Basically every answer about a feature in the post goes like this:

Q: "What will be the mechanics of feature X"

A: "Well if you do X you have to think about A, B and C and balance them." Then there are some further explanations about A, B and C and how they interact. And that's it. He is usually not answering the question but only explaining some of the things which you have to consider. So the amount of information I got from it was pretty limited because all the talk about "you have to balance different things" is not that complicated actually. Doing the balancing is however difficult and he does not really say how they will even try to balance it.

And I think that is what some of us don't like. Another example of this is "New features in 1.5". But they don't say which feature. The feature could simply be the new Unity version.

Maybe they do talk a lot. But the amount of information is very limited. Actually I am starting to think that they haven't even started to think about anything on the roadmap yet. Which is probably why we have not seen any gameplay for science yet.

Edited by running_bird

3 hours ago, RocketRockington said:

snip... - Or they don't want to communicate with bots and only people on the discord are non-bots. ... snip

...i admit that i`m a bot.

Edit: Discord captcha is hard.

Edited by Mikki

13 minutes ago, running_bird said:

Q: "What will be the mechanics of feature X"

A: "Well if you do X you have to think about A, B and C and balance them."

There's no use in communication if they only say the sugarcoating you want to hear and not how complex development actually is. The type of communication you're comparing KSP 2 to is vapid and doesn't give you a good look at what happens behind the scenes.

Edited by Bej Kerman

1 hour ago, Bej Kerman said:

Ignoring the communication that's happening doesn't mean it's not there. The post Pthigrivi shared is good.

Accusing me of ignoring it is a bit of a low blow there. I'm not happy with what I've seen. 

1 hour ago, The Aziz said:

There should be K E.R.B. on Friday, there was a dev chat on September 1st, there are short updates on Discord which you can find on dev tracker (if it works), last week we learned that 1.5 comes with new feature(s).

It's not like they completely disappeared from around here.

I shouldn't have to jump on discord, I'm not on their discord and I don't intend to join it. I'd rather have more information here, at least it being properly mirrored. I'm at a loss as to why that's a bad thing to ask for?

15 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

There's no use in communication if they only say the sugarcoating you want to hear and not how complex development actually is.

I know that it is complicated which is why I don't care about long explanations why it is complicated.

So here is a RL example:

You ask a politician the question how they want to prevent climate change. And the person is not answering the question how they actually want to prevent it but only starts to talk about how difficult it is and that you also have to think about industry, etc. Everyone knows that. That was not the question. The question was what they want to do. If you ask that question a politician and he is unable to say what he/she wants to do then at least I start to think that this person has no plan at all yet.

And that is basically what I meant. And why I think they are just now starting to think about how they will implement the roadmap.

Edited by running_bird

16 minutes ago, RayneCloud said:

I shouldn't have to jump on discord, I'm not on their discord and I don't intend to join it. I'd rather have more information here, at least it being properly mirrored. I'm at a loss as to why that's a bad thing to ask for?

its a good thing you don't if reddit is "all hate" discord is the opposite and literally showing numbers of player base every day triggers users

Really there is quite a spectrum on the forums. Ranging from "their communication strategy is the best, I recommend this to people who want to know what good communication looks like" to "they've completely botched it!"

Frankly I lean to the latter. It just doesn't make since to me to post certain things on discord, or Twitter, and just expect people to sign up to look at them (since now both require an account to view). And the vibe I get from a lot of these promos they do release (especially the devchat recently), is just very corporate. It's like they're trying to act like an indie team when in reality they're backed by an enormous conglomerate.

1 hour ago, Bej Kerman said:

There's no use in communication if they only say the sugarcoating you want to hear and not how complex development actually is. The type of communication you're comparing KSP 2 to is vapid and doesn't give you a good look at what happens behind the scenes.

I think we've reached a point where getting confirmation that the engineering team still exists and is working on updates is a not completely unreasonable wish.

1 hour ago, RayneCloud said:
2 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

Accusing me of ignoring it is a bit of a low blow there. I'm not happy with what I've seen. 

How can you not be happy with them engaging directly with players?

2 hours ago, RayneCloud said:

Dircord dev tracker is present on the forums at the right of the home page (or at the far bottom if you're on mobile). No need to go on discord.

2 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

I ask without being sardonic, but how is it that wanting to know the specifics of the planned mechanics of let's say, feature X, expecting 'sugarcoating'? I don't ask rhetorically, I am interested to hear elaboration :P

The question doesn't have to be answered from a perspective of "how can I phrase this answer to get the person asking hyped".

When I, at least, ask for clearer and more truthful communication, this is kind of what I mean. I'd hope the answer would be along the lines of something very simple like 'here's the current plans, X Y and Z. Here's bits we've implemented, and here's how we've prepared to implement the rest of them. This is all work in progress'

Writing that out, I can see how their current communication style does tick a lot of those boxes. Communication like that DOES come from them, but it's also mixed in with a lot of communication that is much more evasive, and if I had to pin down what irks me about the present situation I'd say that fact is pretty well up there

Edited by Stoup

23 minutes ago, Spicat said:

Dircord dev tracker is present on the forums at the right of the home page (or at the far bottom if you're on mobile). No need to go on discord.

That's a step in the right direction, but it isn't a panacea. It's good that some stuff ends up on there, but there's also a lot of important information that's left out: like that post @Snips linked. Ultimately it isn't really a substitute to the amount of dev engagement that discord gets as opposed to the forums.

So after watching and reading the thread for a while I think my personal problem is this:

I will take Science for an example:
We have no idea what "science" will be. There is communication from the KSP2 team that "next parts" (which could mean anything) are

Science parts! But also those gridfins we teased a while ago should appear.

We have exactly no idea how science will actually work. Zero.

So either they don't know it themselves. Or they implement it and push it out of the door without any communication and then see what happens.

If they are still in the "design phase" for science this will probably cause a huge outcry (maybe also from me) why they don't have a design document about it yet, after all these years.

But it could (and I am really not sure about this) improve communication with the community because we all know about the state of development, and give feedback.

About ideas which should have been talked about during an alpha...

12 minutes ago, running_bird said:

We have exactly no idea how science will actually work. Zero.

And we won't know 2 days before sci update, judging by the way comms were done so far. I also don't buy that "You're gonna love 1.5 update".  Wellduh. I love every update. Such statement doesn't give off any info. I've tuned out mostly. I understand they don't want to over-promise/under-deliver, but I also don't see the point for so much secrecy. The latest two pics were that crane thingy and the ring. No description what they're supposed to be. Why?

Edited by cocoscacao
type-oh darn it

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.