I will be refusing to support Take Two Interactive further unless KSP2 is revived.

1 hour ago, boolybooly said:

From a PR angle not only did they disappoint KSP2 players, they made themselves look intrinsically untrustworthy and liars to boot and now TTWO have the same kind of rep as Electronic Arts.

From where I am sitting the damage from this uninsightful move not long before GTA6 release is going to cost TTWO a lot more than it saves.

Frankly, people here vastly overestimate the impact KSP has on anything. GTA fans won't care and that's OK.

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

Frankly, people here vastly overestimate the impact KSP has on anything. GTA fans won't care and that's OK.

Further, it’s entirely possible for a person to be a fan of both games, for entirely different reasons. KSP lets me remember my engineering degree wasn’t completely worthless, and GTA lets me live through an interactive narrative full of chaos, violence, pathos and absurdist humor.  Humans are complicated creatures and a healthy mind is capable of appreciating and enjoying vastly different experiences. 

(GTA IV had the best story and soundtrack - I will not be taking any questions on this point. So sad when the 10 years rights’ agreement expired and the game had to be patched to remove a bunch of tracks, especially the bangers on Radio Vladivostok. Fortunately, there are online playlists that have all the tracks).

Edited by LameLefty

1 hour ago, Bej Kerman said:

TTWOs recent activity is all over the mainstream tech feeds, it is practically viral, admittedly not because its KSP2 so much but because its TTWO, which impacts TTWO's corporate image directly.

The message is TTWO have gone sharkey and cannot be trusted, which bypasses petty tribal rivalry between gamer geek vs gamer thug and goes straight for the bread basket.

If anything the impact on the criminally minded will be greater distrust than gullible geeks, if they have any natural cunning, though many dont, the impact on preorders could be significant.

3 hours ago, boolybooly said:

is an irrational counterproductive overcompensation for post COVID market adjustments.

Nah, it's the logical thing to do when a game is USD 140M down and has no hope of coming back up. That's part of the lost message: people somehow think if you keep working on a failed product it'll turn around. KSP2 did not have a single thing in it that pointed to somehow becoming a good game down the line. Maybe a complete game? sure, but not a good one.

Whoever did this saved TTWO a relatively small amount but shockingly contradicted TTWOs own assurances about Private Division titles, promising they would be safe and that gamers could trust TTWO.

Which is exactly what they've done before, with 2K Marin being a carbon copy of the current situation. However some people fail to see the parallels or actively refuse to.

From a PR angle not only did they disappoint KSP2 players, they made themselves look intrinsically untrustworthy and liars to boot and now TTWO have the same kind of rep as Electronic Arts.

From where I am sitting the damage from this uninsightful move not long before GTA6 release is going to cost TTWO a lot more than it saves.

As Bej would say: go out and ask people about KSP or even KSP2, then ask about GTA VI.

The customer base for GTA VI is in the billions, the customer base for KSP2 was originally expected to be in the 8 digits, then after release every number (calculated by people with some semblance of common sense) was pointing to a maximum userbase of 1 million players tops IF they turned ship around and started delivering. 14 months of not delivering and a mediocre science update... the game barely broke half a million sales not accounting for refunds. and only on the most generous estimates.

Even if all KSP2 players (currently 326 is the 24 hour peak) and every forum and discord member got in (could probably bump the number to... 500?) That's something T2 will have no problem writing off if it stops them throwing more money to the fire.

We are not just an acceptable loss to a company of that size, throwing the KSP IP away and getting some dollars for it at a yard sale whilst kicking off the... 500 rabid posters from their turf is actually the most logical choice they could make.

1 hour ago, PDCWolf said:

We are not just an acceptable loss to a company of that size, throwing the KSP IP away and getting some dollars for it at a yard sale whilst kicking off the... 500 rabid posters from their turf is actually the most logical choice they could make.

That is what I see has a positive in this situations.

I hope the AAA companies that could potentially make realistic offers:

1) Have the perception  developement is in too poor of a state to salvage 

2) View the current state of community trust as a wildcard liability. 

This could open the door for someone to make a truly lowball offer & *help* alleviate a current problem. 

A small Team with passion or an small group of individuals willing to try again or spend the next 5 years overhauling requisite chunks of code.

I mean we are all allowed some wishful thinking. The world would be a much breaker place if I could not indulge in a moment of daydreaming now and again.

2 hours ago, PDCWolf said:

As Bej would say: go out and ask people about KSP or even KSP2, then ask about GTA VI.

From the business point of view, GTV VI is a huge liability. It's terribly worrisome to have your entire company relying on the success of a single tittle.

It's like opening a shop and having just one client: they literally own your shop, you only pay the taxes.

That's part of the lost message: people somehow think if you keep working on a failed product it'll turn around. KSP2 did not have a single thing in it that pointed to somehow becoming a good game down the line. Maybe a complete game? sure, but not a good one.

KSP2, the Project, it's probably dead on arrival already.

KSP, the Program, it's not. Yet. But I agree it may happen if nothing is done by the current IP owners.

16 minutes ago, Lisias said:

From the business point of view, GTV VI is a huge liability. It's terribly worrisome to have your entire company relying on the success of a single tittle.

It's like opening a shop and having just one client: they literally own your shop, you only pay the taxes.

KSP, the Program, it's not. Yet. But I agree it may happen if nothing is done by the current IP owners.

Thing is, you can almost guarantee Grand Theft Auto will be a wild, massive success. It's almost assured at this point, personally I think it's one of the most overrated games there is but then I don't like that sort of game so that's not surprising. For me, Sins of a Solar Empire is much better than Grand Theft Auto but sales and player count paint a different picture.

Posted (edited)

Success is a gradient with measurements often set way before hand. If someone that is wealthy is projected to earn 12mil in a year.. making 10 will be viewed as "losing" 2 mil. Regardless whether it profit on prefected earning.. most will be sad.

Being poor.. I've never been able to lose something I never had to begin with. I told my boss he left a word out one time.

I said.. you didn't lose 1.2 mil.. you lost out on. Be happy with the the 2% gain on previous year.

It is still possible that a GTA title could have an ROI less than projected and still be qualified as a failure

Edited by Fizzlebop Smith

Posted (edited)
On 6/8/2024 at 10:31 PM, Fizzlebop Smith said:

I think Advocating piracy in any public forum is pretty excrementsty. Regardless of where that form is.

Promoting illegal activity jeopardizes the existence of this forum. Not to mention making children think it's acceptable to commit theft.

Perhaps the individuals reading do not have the years of wisdom to help them determine when this theft is acceptable.. or better.. warranted / expected.

Really need to structure your argument in a way that doesn't condone such acts. Honestly, your unwillingness to pay for the product.. does not prove a lack of value in the product, but your opinion of it instead.

Please don't even try again setting up this petty moral highground or even being this condescending to me about piracy when talking about the multi-billion dollar company that is literal days away from pulling the plug, slap a 1.0 label on a full price 50€ Early Acces Alpha borderline unplayable build of KSP2 and spit millions of players on their face. It's actually really freaking funny that you mention the word theft as such an immoral and devilish act under the current chain of events. I actually chuckled while reading it, so thanks for that. :D I personally wouldn't use that word when discussing it under current circumstances, and would probably add that it's completely and absolutely justified, but that's just my opinion.

There isn't even an argument to be made. I shared my opinion about Take-Two not deserving a single penny after what they've done. Part of the original comment got snipped by the moderators, which is fair enough, but my stance remains the same, regardless of how much you try to make it sound like I summoned Satan himself. 

Edited by MARL_Mk1

7 hours ago, Fizzlebop Smith said:

That is what I see has a positive in this situations.

I hope the AAA companies that could potentially make realistic offers:

1) Have the perception  developement is in too poor of a state to salvage 

2) View the current state of community trust as a wildcard liability. 

This could open the door for someone to make a truly lowball offer & *help* alleviate a current problem. 

A small Team with passion or an small group of individuals willing to try again or spend the next 5 years overhauling requisite chunks of code.

I mean we are all allowed some wishful thinking. The world would be a much breaker place if I could not indulge in a moment of daydreaming now and again.

I agree on some of your points, but I really just don't want another gimped Unity mess now that we have the chance to never see that again. Whoever steps in needs to have strength,  confidence and knowledge to do what the franchise deserves, and not muh precursor alien story tycoon with background mathematical sums and subtractions passed as game features.

6 hours ago, Lisias said:

It's assured success at least in sales. It's a game that you know it's in many cases gonna earn $180 instead of $60 per copy (or $210 if it comes out at $70, screw the people normalizing that, traitors to gaming.) It's not a liability at all because it's a very well established franchise and at this point T2/Rockstar have been all but terrorized to make it. Your analogy is completely wrong. Take Two is the biggest publisher in gaming and no one has more shops than them. They've got Zynga (biggest publisher in mobile gaming), 2K (yearly sports), Rockstar (GTA/RDR), Double Take, BlueShift, and a ton of other subsidiaries all over the world for games in many nations and their languages.

They don't have a single shop with a single client, they own most of the shops and a big pie of the overall worldwide clients, and some of those clients are about to break the windows to enter one of their store because they want the game so bad.

Public perception for GTA VI will probably slump down right after release, because it's definitely never gonna reach whatever people are expecting it to be, but I assure you the refund rate is gonna be through the floor.

On 6/9/2024 at 9:26 PM, PDCWolf said:

It's assured success at least in sales. It's a game that you know it's in many cases gonna earn $180 instead of $60 per copy (or $210 if it comes out at $70, screw the people normalizing that, traitors to gaming.) It's not a liability at all because it's a very well established franchise and at this point T2/Rockstar have been all but terrorized to make it. Your analogy is completely wrong. Take Two is the biggest publisher in gaming and no one has more shops than them. They've got Zynga (biggest publisher in mobile gaming), 2K (yearly sports), Rockstar (GTA/RDR), Double Take, BlueShift, and a ton of other subsidiaries all over the world for games in many nations and their languages.

You completely missed the point. I'm not implying that GTA VI will fail.

Did you ever wondered why the Cut Throat Fest started to happen only after the last Quarterly Earnings Conference Call?

Hint:

Well...

Take-Two Interactive Software (TTWO) shares fell over 4% Monday following a report suggesting the release of its "Grand Theft Auto VI" or "GTA 6" video game could be delayed.

https://www.investopedia.com/take-two-stock-sinks-following-reports-of-possible-grand-theft-auto-vi-delay-8620062

As well:

Take-Two Interactive Software Inc.’s stock tumbled Monday on fears of a possible delay to the much-anticipated Grand Theft Auto VI video game.

Shares of the video-game company fell 5.2% in New York after a gaming site, Kotaku, reported Friday that production on the latest installment of the Grand Theft Auto series had started to fall behind and could miss its 2025 release window, citing people familiar with the matter.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2024-03-25/take-two-ttwo-falls-as-report-triggers-fears-of-delay-to-much-awaited-gta-vi

Not to mention:

The dust is barely settling from the explosive GTA VI trailer that took YouTube by storm. Remember how it shattered records, surpassing the records of some of the highly popular music videos. it set the bar high for what fans could expect from the upcoming release. Now, after months of speculation, the long-awaited release date for Grand Theft Auto VI has finally been unveiled. But, before we get too carried away with the excitement, Take-Two Interactive, the makers behind Rockstar Games, just took a whopping $2.9 billion loss.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/world-news/grand-theft-auto-vi-delayed-take-two-suffers-staggering-2-9-billion-loss-drops-release-update-101715916045017.html

And since the thing was delayed on May 22th:

Take Two Interactive announced today that the eagerly awaited Grand Theft Auto VI won’t ship until late 2025, several months later than expected. As a result, the company lowered its financial forecast for the current fiscal year by over $2 billion.

“As we enter Fiscal 2025 with positive momentum, we expect to deliver Net Bookings of $5.55 to $5.65 billion,” the company revealed as part of its latest earning report; it had previously projected net bookings of over $8 billion. “Our [new] outlook reflects a narrowing of Rockstar Games’ previously established window of Calendar 2025 to Fall of Calendar 2025 for Grand Theft Auto VI. We are highly confident that Rockstar Games will deliver an unparalleled entertainment experience, and our expectations for the commercial impact of the title continue to increase.”

https://www.thurrott.com/games/302651/take-two-delays-grand-theft-auto-vi-to-late-2025

And, finally:

Videogame maker Take-Two Interactive Software Inc. said late Tuesday it will lay off about 5% of its workforce, cancel games and end projects as it aims to save about $165 million a year.

<...>

The stock was flat in the extended session Tuesday, after ending the regular trading day up 0.1%. <...>

Take-Two is "rationalizing its pipeline and eliminating several projects in development and streamlining its organizational structure," which, alongside the layoffs, will reduce "future hiring needs," Take-Two said in the filing.

The company estimated that it will incur about $160 million to $200 million in charges in connection with the plan, including about $120 million to $140 million related to videogame-title cancellations, $25 million to $35 million with severances and related costs, and $15 million to $25 million related to cutting down on office space.

https://www.morningstar.com/news/marketwatch/20240416765/grand-theft-auto-maker-take-two-to-cut-jobs-cancel-games-in-cost-cutting-plan

So, yeah. P.D. (and KSP2) was sacked because they lost more than 2B USD in stock value early this year due GTA VI being delayed until late 2025.

Dude, if this is not a liability, I don't know what would be.

(and one must be living in Narnia to believe these events are unrelated, I need to say)

Edited by Lisias
Forgot the link and data from the last Conference Call from TTI; Fixing the GTA version

1 hour ago, Lisias said:

-snip-

Okay, first off and only because I made the mistake too, it's GTA VI, not IV.

Whilst you can see it as a liability, it's also the only really big earner in the near future for T2. GTA VI is also not culprit of the 8th quarter in a row they present losses in (as that comes from before the delay). And I'm also pretty sure it's not the reason PD/IG have been kicked to the curb considering they hold many more other assets they could've cut off but didn't.

Is it the reason they had to close stuff down? yeah, very probably. Is it the reason why they chose PD/IG/KSP2? No.

2 hours ago, MARL_Mk1 said:

[Snip]

You went above and beyond making a point that TT doesn't deserve your money. You stated you would play the game .. but  TT won't get your money.

Like you some sly or more slick than the rest of us, by they aren't going to fool you.

If the GAME is worth it.. you buy it. If not you don't loveing play it.

Those sale contribute to the accolades and success of all those names attributed to it.

That's like saying Budweiser ain't  'merican owned   no more so I get to drink for free... oooo wee boys.

I truly think the exact same logic applies when you adopt the same moral stance with some large physical object that you enjoy as a product . Just not the sweat shops in china.

Walmart is scum.. Need a few new TVs by Sony? Kill 2-birds with one stone.

Okay, first off and only because I made the mistake too, it's GTA VI, not IV.

Yep... :P Fixed on the post.

Whilst you can see it as a liability, it's also the only really big earner in the near future for T2.

They are not mutually exclusive situations. In truth, it's almost a mutually inclusive situation.

Is it the reason they had to close stuff down? yeah, very probably. Is it the reason why they chose PD/IG/KSP2? No.

But PD/IG/KSP would not had been sacked NOW if GTA VI had not being delayed, causing the devaluation on the stocks and prompting the CEO to take harsh measures to prevent the shareholders getting (too much) burnt in the process.

Again, liability. From the Oxford Languages:

li·a·bil·i·ty
/ˌlīəˈbilədē/

noun
noun: liability
plural noun: liabilities
  • the state of being responsible for something, especially by law.

"the partners accept unlimited liability for any risks they undertake"

• a person or thing whose presence or behavior is likely to cause embarrassment or put one at a disadvantage.
            "he has become a political liability"

(unrelated entries omitted)

We are risking a dictionary war here - I'm pretty sure I used the term "liability" correctly.

Edited by Lisias
Better phrasing

On 6/7/2024 at 4:01 AM, Superfluous J said:

I will continue to buy games I want when I think they're worth - to me - what's being charged for them. Companies change hands and names so frequently it's a fool's errand to keep track of who you should avoid.

Let's say Take Two buys Rare from Microsoft next year. Now you gotta stop buying Rare game. After a few years Sony buys Rare from Take Two, along with several people who used to work for Take Two but moved to Rare in the mean time. Now is it okay to buy Rare games? Or is it not okay to buy Sony games?

Better to just take each thing on its own merits and accept your purchases aren't going to make or break any company's bottom line.

That said, I wholeheartedly support your not buying from the company based on your personal preferences, as I do anybody else. There are companies I will never buy from as well (one supposedly makes great chicken sandwiches) but not because I'm punishing them. It'd be like a mosquito punishing an aircraft carrier by stinging it. It's more because I can't stomach interacting with them.

Well, it's probably not quite that hopeless. Trillions of mosquitoes can also make an aircraft carrier inoperable. Just think of Sony and DRM!

1 hour ago, TomKerbal said:

Well, it's probably not quite that hopeless. Trillions of mosquitoes can also make an aircraft carrier inoperable. Just think of Sony and DRM!

It is. There's hardly trillions of us, and the rest of the world doesn't care. Yeah, it's a bummer, but not the end of the world. Just move on.

1 hour ago, cocoscacao said:

It is. There's hardly trillions of us, and the rest of the world doesn't care. Yeah, it's a bummer, but not the end of the world. Just move on.

I have another example: GalCiv II! They didn't use DRM and were rewarded for it. Don't always give up straight away.

47 minutes ago, cocoscacao said:

Does a slim chance exist? Maybe. But it isn't worth wasting time on it.

"Pray to God, but row towards shore" .

Let whoever end up buying the thing later to decide if it worthed.

You see, there will be some benefits if they manage to deliver something minimally playable under the name KSP2; mods and assets reuse.

There're tons of things that can be done once the anger goes away and cool heads start to think properly again. Some games only realy kick in after EoL.

Keep Launching.

46 minutes ago, Lisias said:

You see, there will be some benefits if they manage to deliver something minimally playable under the name KSP2; mods and assets reuse.

There're tons of things that can be done once the anger goes away and cool heads start to think properly again. Some games only realy kick in after EoL.

I get the impression that the KSP2 code base is largely KSP1 and I assume that slow development had a lot to do with the high load of technical debt. Not ussure if anyone is willing to take that on, or make it work if they do. Expectations will be low though, so there's that.

1 hour ago, Lisias said:

You see, there will be some benefits if they manage to deliver something minimally playable under the name KSP2

I suppose that is what's in the works now. I do hope we get one additional patch. It's the only reason I'm still here.

11 hours ago, Kerbart said:

I get the impression that the KSP2 code base is largely KSP1 and I assume that slow development had a lot to do with the high load of technical debt. Not ussure if anyone is willing to take that on, or make it work if they do. Expectations will be low though, so there's that.

That's the shady reality of what I was meaning: unless they managed to do things minimally right (what includes a EULA compliant way to load add'ons), the current (and probably future) IP owner will be the lesser of the beneficiaries.

You see, it's some years since this Scene accepted EULA infringing works to be published around here - and things escalated to people charging for closed source add'ons "out there". All of this creates a huge precedence that will escalate sooner or later to something like what happened with Falcon 3.0 from Spectrum Holobyte - someone else will make money at the IP's owner expenses, just like that.

I'm not implying that every single author that is turning their back to the EULA is ill intentioned - besides considering incredibly shady that a few of them is (at least last time I checked) currently employed by the competition and, worst, their boss is suing people for doing what this dude is doing here (it's not about what they are doing with the reverse engineering - as it's not a crime, but they are being sued by doing "direct" reverse engineering trying a stunt on Copyrights).

What's exactly what Bungie is doing, by the way.***

Electronic Arts too, but incredibly enough, EA is trying the "right way", instead of vilifying something that was considered in the recent past a customer's right - the right to do whatever they wants with something loaded in their computer's memory.

[But Dura Lex Sed Lex - good people don't need laws, we create laws due the bad people.]

Bungie manages to accomplish what they want, things are going to get very hairy around here.

Whoever is considering buying this IP (if someone) is also calculating how much they will need to expend on legal actions to take control back, lowering the perceived value of the IP and, so, devaluating it [in practice]. And the cheaper the IP gets, more probable it could be acquired  by someone willing to use it on pachinkos or farming games on Facebook, and by then it would be their best interest to just shut down the whole modding scene and prosecuting anyone that made some bucks at their expense as a preemptive measure to prevent people from making money without paying them something, as this will be their business model. TL;DR: we, gamers and modders, will be screwed.

*** Disclaimer: I had misplaced the paragraph about Bungie, giving the impression I'm implying Bungie is willing to buy KSP2. What I was meaning (and idiotically placed the statement in the wrong place) is that Bungie is activelly working to screw the modding scene as a way to solve another problem they have somewhere else.

I moved these 3 paragraphs to where they are now, correctly passing the message I intended.

10 hours ago, cocoscacao said:

I suppose that is what's in the works now. I do hope we get one additional patch. It's the only reason I'm still here.

But even if they don't, someone else will manage to make some bucks at their expenses - it's already happening for some time, we have precedence.

Once there's no one actively watching the IP, you will see very "interesting" things being made with the IP. I don't rule out some videos being published on... "interesting sites" and not only on Youtube anymore.

They opened a can of worms.

Edited by Lisias
Entertaining grammars made slightely less entertaining...

On 6/9/2024 at 5:22 AM, boolybooly said:

What I will say is $140m is chicken feed compared to something in the order of $10bn projected income from GTA6 alone. So cutting these productions at this time, amounting to about 1% of projected 2025 income and an easily tolerable expense even in the current market with TTWO's turnover, is an irrational counterproductive overcompensation for post COVID market adjustments.

Unfortunately, this is terrible financial sense. "We can throw money into a negative return bin by taking it away from a successful project" is how you end up with studio closures in the first place with everything hinging on "GTA6 needs to make more money then GTAV made in an entire lifetime of live service" which is just a huge company wide gamble. They're in this position in the first place in no small part because huge amounts of revenue were shoveled into other Take2 projects that didn't work out. The greatest example of this would be Embracer - Buying up companies and greenlighting big game projects left right and center, while setting up a major billion dollar revenue windfall - Only for that windfall to fail to materialize last minute, and blowing up the company. 

Not to mention, $140m is an insane budget to have put forward for a game like this in the first place. The industry estimates for GTAV's development costs were around $135m. That doesn't account for inflation of course, and its also fair to point out that the insane marketing campaign for that game nearly doubled the total budget, but I think it makes the point well enough even with its shortcomings, especially with the KSP2 marketing campaign being one or two videos per year, a youtuber event, and a roadmap graphic. Even in modern times, $140m is the ballpark development and marketing budget for stuff like Immortals of Aveum. Now that game did fail, but you can also look at that game being complete and functional - it failed because it was a mid idea, not because it was underfunded or undercooked. It'd be unrealistic to expect KSP2 to reach GTAV's $8 Billion USD lifetime revenue , and frankly it was unrealistic to expect KSP2 to work out on $140m at all, because unlike GTAV, KSP2 is not the kind of game most people want to play. If KSP2 was really given a AAA budget for a niche game it was already being set up for failure regardless of the development team issues.

As far as supporting TT goes...I don't buy a whole lot of games to begin with, so I'm not worried about throwing my money at or away from any one entity.  They don't get much of my money anyhow.

I have GTA SA for my PS2, and that was the last GTA game I bought.  Never played 4, or 5.  Won't be playing whatever version get released next year.  And going through the list of games by Rockstar...I don't play any of them apart from SA.

I do play Civilization, which is owned now by Take Two.  But again, the last one i ought was Civ IV, which was a long time ago.

All told, I don't care.  I'm not going to actively boycott Take Two, primarily because I don't buy a lot of games to begin with.

Edited by Scarecrow71