KSP2 Release Notes - Update v0.2.2.0

Just now, Beetlecat said:

Kinda love it, actually.

While removing the launcher is a positive change, removing the launcher and updating the credits is a strong indication that the game is completely dead.

Just now, Aviator01 said:

While removing the launcher is a positive change, removing the launcher and updating the credits is a strong indication that the game is completely dead.

If you've been holding any other hope up until now, I appreciate your optimism. :D

1 minute ago, Beetlecat said:

If you've been holding any other hope up until now, I appreciate your optimism. :D

It’s not that I was optimistic, it’s just that while the evidence pointed towards the fact that the game was dead the actual facts indicated that we truly have no idea what the future of KSP 2 will be at all.

On 6/11/2024 at 6:07 PM, arthomnix said:

Rumour is that they tried to sell to Paradox Interactive but they declined

Trust me, after they ruined Prison Architect, you'd be better off with no KSP 2 at all than with whatever DLC-bloated walking corpse they'd deform it into.

On 6/12/2024 at 9:08 AM, rjbvre said:

Agreed. I'm still crossing my fingers for some futuristic rockets and other additional parts to be added at the end of the month. I'm not holding my breath, but a man can dream

I'm more inclined to believe that they issued this update now rather than at the end of the month so that if there were some disastrous problem with it, they'd still have a little time to patch it before everybody is laid off. That said, I'm still not convinced the KSP IP is dead forever. I think the only things that have been decided for sure is that they don't want to stay the course with the IG team under Nate, and that if they could sell the whole thing to somebody else on some target terms they would do so. What happens beyond that is likely still being debated IMO, because I believe they recognize that there is more long-term earnings potential in this title than some of the biggest naysayers on this forum have asserted.

37 minutes ago, herbal space program said:

I'm more inclined to believe that they issued this update now rather than at the end of the month so that if there were some disastrous problem with it, they'd still have a little time to patch it before everybody is laid off. That said, I'm still not convinced the KSP IP is dead forever. I think the only things that have been decided for sure is that they don't want to stay the course with the IG team under Nate, and that if they could sell the whole thing to somebody else on some target terms they would do so. What happens beyond that is likely still being debated IMO, because I believe they recognize that there is more long-term earnings potential in this title than some of the biggest naysayers on this forum have asserted.

The problem is that whoever acquires it could only go to market with a viable product in two years, and that is as long as it carries out a policy of shock in development with high investment. What will the video game market be like in two years? Would a working KSP2 give $100M to compensate for the initial investment? 
When you crunch the numbers, it looks like they set the franchise on fire. 

4 hours ago, Entr8899 said:

Prison Architect

Don't even start PA2 was the 3rd sequel game I was looking forward to.

CS2 was the 2nd.

I'm 0 for 3 but hey at least I've still got Balatro and Enshrouded.

13 hours ago, dprostock said:

The problem is that whoever acquires it could only go to market with a viable product in two years

Judging by what the game is like now, it's easier to just buy a trademark and make the game anew. No need to torment a barely working corpse in the form of KSP2.

15 hours ago, Infinite Aerospace said:

So, the orbital lines disappearing still happens

literally the only thing i have been waiting on to remotely consider this game to be in a playable state and to risk wasting my time launching this game again. Good riddance to rubbish. Uninstalling at this point.

1 hour ago, bcink said:

literally the only thing i have been waiting on to remotely consider this game to be in a playable state and to risk wasting my time launching this game again. Good riddance to rubbish. Uninstalling at this point.

Doesn't happen often but it does still happen I'm afraid.

17 hours ago, Superfluous J said:

Don't even start PA2 was the 3rd sequel game I was looking forward to.

CS2 was the 2nd.

I'm 0 for 3 but hey at least I've still got Balatro and Enshrouded.

I just learned of prison architect recently.. is PA2 not coming in sept?.. or was it subject to delays?

I really liked enshrouded... much better than valheim. I'm very much a story junkie.

I'm looking forward to more news on Kenshi 2

1 hour ago, Fizzlebop Smith said:

I just learned of prison architect recently.. is PA2 not coming in sept?.. or was it subject to delays?

It's been delayed twice and I'm starting to get worried that even if it is released, it won't be worth it - like CS2 and how many feel about KSP2.

1 hour ago, Fizzlebop Smith said:

I really liked enshrouded... much better than valheim. I'm very much a story junkie.

Same here though for me it's more the mechanics. I think I prefer every part of Enshrouded more than Valheim, except building and that's close. With some tweaks, I think I'll enjoy Enshrouded's building paradigm more.

9 hours ago, rebel-1 said:

Judging by what the game is like now, it's easier to just buy a trademark and make the game anew. No need to torment a barely working corpse in the form of KSP2.

In its current version, it is far from a barely working corpse. And unless you have some really specific under-the-hood knowledge of the state of the code base, I don't see how you can possibly make that judgment in terms of what it might be going forward. Some serious bugs persist, but having played it for about 600 hours (vs. ~4,000 hrs. of KSP1), I can confidently say that what we have now is not much worse than most of the KSP1 versions I played.  And it looks way better, and the assembly interface (except for camera behavior) works better, and the planets have much more complex terrain height maps than their predecessors, to go along with their much better visual detail/rendering. It truly did start off as a total goat rodeo, but it is no longer that IMO, and as I have actually played it more than about 90% of the self-styled authorities posting here, I feel very confident in that assessment.

Really a "so long, and thanks for all the fish" moment.  A great vision developed by great people, taken over by a corporation that's doing corporate things. This one hurts. Thanks to the devs. I hope a publisher picks up the mantle - so much potential.

6 hours ago, cocoscacao said:

I was just about to ask about it. Hope we get a glimpse of colonies. 

Pure speculation on my part here, but...

If we get anything on colonies, it will probably be limited to parts only.  We will more than likely not see any kind of resource management, or orbital launch stations, or even extra-Kerbinular launch sites.  I would love to get resource management; ISRU, even just the KSP1 basics, would be a god-send for interplanetary exploration, and it might make me fire the game up again.

Again, purely speculative.

On 6/17/2024 at 2:31 PM, The Aziz said:

I suppose it's worth pointing out that steamdb still shows depots being updated on a regular basis.

It's been daily since the release of Version 0.2.2.

It started with Development and Development2, over the past few days it's also been Development4.

Not sure what that really means at its core, only that something is being changed in those specific builds. Seems bizarre to be honest with the apparent shuttering of the studio, and mass layoff happening in just over a week.

Why continue developing something with zero intention of ever completing it (Whatever the specific build changes are)? That doesn't make sense to me personally.

2 hours ago, Infinite Aerospace said:

Why continue developing something with zero intention of ever completing it (Whatever the specific build changes are)? That doesn't make sense to me personally.

The staff are still being paid - for the moment- so they might as well be set to debugging the game as it exists.

On 6/11/2024 at 12:48 PM, Zacspace said:

Same vibes as cleaning up the apartment before ending it all. Props to the team for still plugging away on it instead of searching for work on company time while the cheques still clear. I can't say I'd do the same, especially after being done so dirty.

I kinda hope they push out a messy final update that just has all the stuff they've worked on in it, regardless of how complete or integrated. Maybe in a beta channel. It was obvious from the beginning that there was a lot of half-done stuff that just didn't make it into the public releases and it'd be a shame for all that work to be lost forever.

Having this updated as a "beta" in steam so people could volunteer to download it would be very nice. So at least we could see what they tried to envision.

13 hours ago, Infinite Aerospace said:

Because they probably weren't really lying when they claimed "The label continues to make updates to Kerbal Space Program 2" after all. Unfortunately, the community can only rely on their own perception thus making their own conclusion despite having half the picture - and their wording just made it worse to interpret what they said. Some of us here are developer for themself and that might give us a very accurate picture what could be, but we still don't know the exact situation in the background. Remember when Micheal stated: "I am still working until late June to ensure all my work is left in good hands. "? Given that there is a support group too, the most accurate positive conclusion now is that we might get the support team to make the main work in snail speed work after June with additional little growth in dev count. Maybe that's what it turns out to be by end of June.

Or they just bet for it at least.:sticktongue:

On 6/14/2024 at 10:07 AM, rebel-1 said:

At this point, I think a Yooka Laylee situation is more likely, having backing of OG KSP1 developers would be more valuable than the IP itself, might as well have a fresh start with different character designs and planets rather than spending a ton of money acquiring the IP and having to deal with the poor baggage it left behind.