An update of sorts from your forum moderation team.

I'd like to add my thanks and appreciation to all the Forum Moderators. 

Thanks  to you all, for your patience and especially giving us all your valuable time.  And  thanks also to your long suffering partners that will no doubt have had to endure your ranting and frustration about us.

Whether or not the the forums get closed, with or without warning, it has been a great 10 years.  Thanks to you all, past, present, and hopefully future too.

It’s pretty astonishing I’ve been coming to this one website every day for a decade, with few exceptions. Really a testament to how great a game and amazing this community is. 

4 hours ago, dylsh said:

It’s pretty astonishing I’ve been coming to this one website every day for a decade, with few exceptions. Really a testament to how great a game and amazing this community is. 

I came here essentially once a month- when I reboot the machine and have to login again. The rest of the time I essentially left the browser on this site 24x7 :)

Well, what a sad turn of events / bad news, maybe.  I'm sure that if we lose the forum, we will prevail somewhere, keep our heads up people, and thank you all....

23 hours ago, Iapetus7342 said:

...oh dear.

well, guess i'll go hoard all my mods while i still can.

Everyone should it seems 

On 7/14/2024 at 5:47 PM, Iapetus7342 said:

(Very audible sigh)

Sigh.  [I ain't puttin' it in italic parentheses either.]

About the City of Heroes Shutdown.

TL;dr version:  Attempts to stop the Shutdown of City of Heroes in 2012 didn't change things one bit either way.  (Successful protests only work on topic of greater public interest, need to find ways to hurt, and then still take many many years.  And often doesn't work anyhoo.)

The longer version (it ain't that long).  Set a spell...

Spoiler

First, a meme to lighten the mode.

535v9d.jpg

Just before the Labour Day long weekend in 2012, on August 31st, NCsoft announced that City of Heroes--despite being profitable--would be shut down effective the end of November 30th that same year.

I won't go through the details of all the efforts to avert this disaster or buy the game from NCsoft.  It was widespread with many significant people speaking up.

It didn't change things one bit.  (Successful protests only work on topic of greater public interest, need to find ways to hurt, and then still take many many years.  And often doesn't work anyhoo.)

I was logged in on November 30th.  Playing the game as if it was the last time I'd ever play City of Heroes.  Because we though it was the end.  Shutdown.

I won't go into the Dark Times.

Unknown to most, this was not the end of City of Heroes.

In 2019 March and April, the existence of a secret City of Heroes server became public knowledge.  Many complex things happened.  The important thing is an organization to support an open City of Heroes game was set up.

On April 24th, 2019, Homecoming City of Heroes launched.  Things developed.  Negotiations went on with NCsoft in the background.

in January 2024, it was announced that Homecoming had been given a licence to run a not-for-profit City of Heroes game.

Now, what applies here to Kerbal Space Program and its forums continuing?  Very little.

I don't even know when the original City of Heroes forums shutdown.  There's copies on the Wayback machine and another copy elsewhere, useful for us with memories of that time to dig up the gems buried there.

For City of Heroes, having the online game was the essential core.  Everything else could be made by fans (and was).

For Kerbal Space Program, the game is solo stand-alone and for now still for sale.  Those of us who have will still have it no matter what.

The KSP forums are the essential core supporting the information sharing that makes the KSP community.  Discussions, mods, info on other support sites, etc.

That's understood.  Those with the resources are taking actions to back up the (incomplete) information in these forums.

If and when these forums shut down, there's many KSP-related Discords, the KSP subreddit, etc, for getting the information out of what to do for KSP players, etc.

What's the likelihood of any player action of any scale about wanting to get information about what's happening, or greater still getting the effective notice of Take Two Interactive and getting them to change their plans, one way or another, better or worse in our eyes?

Damn close to zero.  It won't have a chance to make things better.  It also is unlikely to make things worse.

People were put out of work because of this.  That has a lot more public interest and any attempt to get public notice of the working conditions in the gaming industry (or other industries where it's worse) is damn hard.

Complaining about the lost of our beloved KSP forums: Disaster to us.  To the public, it's another Tuesday.

To TTI, it's just business.  They have a lot of concerns.  Only the lowest levels of PR will ever notice anything about any pushback or protest.

That's the same as it was for NCsoft for City of Heroes.  Still don't have a thorough story of why Shutdown happened, even nearly 12 years later.  Fully expect it to never come out.  Doesn't matter anyway.  The whys often mean little to those being crushed by the whats.

On 7/8/2024 at 1:15 PM, Demcrew said:

One crucial point to remember is that the new forum must be independent of any third parties that could control its future, such as Curse.

This is extremely important, yes.

On 7/8/2024 at 1:15 PM, Demcrew said:

I am willing to offer a server to host the forum, and I believe others in the community might also be able to assist.

Same here. I've been running a number of forums in the past and I am fluent in Xenforo and Woltlab

On 7/15/2024 at 1:01 PM, Devblaze said:

Website suffered a short outage for a few hours this morning, seemingly becoming more frequent. Not a good look.

Not sure it's been more frequent. I definitely noticed this outage, but with the news, I'm also more aware of it.

Fortunately, it looks like this isn't hosted on a Microsoft server, or TTI isn't using Crowdstrike, because it made it through this morning unscathed. 

2 hours ago, panarchist said:

Not sure it's been more frequent. I definitely noticed this outage, but with the news, I'm also more aware of it.

Fortunately, it looks like this isn't hosted on a Microsoft server, or TTI isn't using Crowdstrike, because it made it through this morning unscathed. 

It was down for 25 minutes from 1:18pm to 1:43pm EST

I must admit, this is something I have feared for a long time. Ever since the KSP 1 devs and KSP modders joined the KSP 2 dev team, I feared that if KSP 2 were to fail, then it would also condemn KSP 1 to death, with no more developers for new updates, and the most significant modders no longer releasing new content, then the community would slowly fizzle out. 

With Intercept games being shut down and its employees laid off, as well as the possibility of the forums being shut down, maybe without warning. I'm starting to worry that I was right, the one time I REALLY wanted to be wrong.

As much as I want to stay positive and hope everything goes fine, that mindset didn't get me very far with KSP 2. So I'm not very optimistic about what will happen next. All I can hope is that if the forums DO shut down, there are still other places on the internet where the community can survive.

I first discovered KSP1 in 2016, and since then it has become probably one of my favorite games of all time, so the possibility of the community dying is more than a little scary to me. If the forum does shut down soon, and this does end up being my very last post on the forum, I just want to say, it has been an honor to participate in this community and whether this game and its community lives or not, I'm glad all of us were here for it.

A few oldies might still remember me here. Over my time on these forums I've got married twice, got divorced once, helped my mom fight cancer for several long years (this was a chief reason I became much less active) until we lost that battle, and became a father. I would like to thank everyone I've interacted with over this period, and even though I've mostly moved on with regards to KSP2 (it will merely add to the number of failed EA titles I have purchased over years), I hope we will meet again - some where, some time.

Edited by asmi

Welp, this is sad but not unexpected news about the Forums possibly evaporating. I "survived" the Great Forum Derp in 2013 when my then-new account and post history got lost without backups shortly after I joined. I haven't been very active in recent years but still, well over 11 years of my digital history is tied up on these boards and I hate to think of it all just going away.

Thanks for nothin', T2. 

Edited by LameLefty

I hope its doesnt get to that point. And while its a bummer that KSP1 (atleast it seems that way) will never have a worthy successor, I want to say Thanks to all the Moderators and the dev teams we had and to all the great people on this Forum and especially all the Modders.

YOU are what made KSP 1 what it is today, i have been there since  2013, when i bought the game, and it has been a very awesome time, playing the game, seeing all the mods come and go, get updated or continued by someone else. And i am very grateful to all of that, It was, and hopefully will continue to be, a awesome experience. Thanks for that. :cool: *Saluts*

On 7/15/2024 at 1:01 PM, Devblaze said:

Website suffered a short outage for a few hours this morning, seemingly becoming more frequent. Not a good look.

I've been getting outages pretty much every morning nowadays, and sometimes during the day as well. This is happening more frequent than even a couple of weeks ago.

Backing up or scraping at least some of what's here seems like a priority now. If nothing else, there are a great many mods whose only documentation (as far as I know) lives here.

The outages have been getting more frequent over here in the UK, i'm unable to do anything without a 502 every 30 minutes.

We need to back up the servers before it's too late

Edited by Iapetus7342

1 hour ago, Iapetus7342 said:

The outages have been getting more frequent over here in the UK, i'm unable to do anything without a 502 every 30 minutes.

Same here.

11 hours ago, Iapetus7342 said:

There is a coordinated effort in this regard; Please see the thread below. It is not out of the question that multiple simultaneous attempts to scrape and backup the forum may be causing some of these errors, so it would be a good idea to coordinate any efforts in that thread.

Even though I no longer frequent it, this forum was such a big part of my life. I still prefer back to it, look at things I and others made, and check in from time to time. There's also so much history here of the development of this legendary game. 

If it wasn't backed up by someone capable, it would be a very sad loss. 

It is quite sad about the possibility of the forums going, but never fear, the KSP community will live on!

Tried to get a kerbal salute but oh well.

0*cIhth7TVVHuvZPgv

Edited by RedAl1en1