Praise and things we like

Vl3d

17 hours ago, SoulCandy said:

The adaptive music continues to surprise me. From planets, to when you're about to execute a maneuver, there's a huge attention to detail there that I can't help but heap praise on the team behind it

When I was done for the day, I just dive-bombed the jet I was flying and the suspenseful pizzicato leading up to the crash made me full-on belly laugh

3 hours ago, MechBFP said:

Also I like how the path your vehicle will take is shown as 1 solid line so you can see exactly how the gravity of another body is impacting your orbit, speed, etc. This is something that was not really possible to visualize in KSP1.

*quiet voice* maneuver tool plot stopped working for me after a few hours XD - I updated my GPU driver; I’ll see if it’s working again when we get home from this day trip.

3 hours ago, Vl3d said:

I have to agree, performance is not so bad with small number of parts.

I run a 3060 laptop with full TDP and with everything set to high on 1440p i got a minimum of 8 fps when looking down at the KSC with a lot of clouds. If I set it to medium I go up to ~15 in the same scene. 15 fps as worst performance is decent for unoptimized early access. I'm sure that it will go lower with a higher number of parts. Will have to explore other planets too, but at least I can relax and not have to upgrade my PC.

I’m thinking on upgrading to a laptop similar to yours (with a RTX3060), thanks for your insights.

Yknow what I really like the tutorials. I think they're simple, clear, and surprisingly thorough for those initial tasks. There are some gaps but I think it may be related to systems that aren't online yet like reentry heating and alarms. I do notice things get a little weird when you go off script, like if you make the maneuver they tell you to and then you change it before burning they tell you cut the engine for the proscribed maneuver rather than the one you made which could get a little confusing, but mostly all good. The only important change I'd suggest is in one of the earlier tutorials they tell you a TWR above one will get you off the ground, but I think its worth noting that 1.5 is a better rule of thumb. I also think the ascent tutorial tells players to begin their turn much too late resulting in a really high Ap. Its fine for the purpose of the video, but Im worried new players will think thats an a good target ascent and end up replicating really inefficient launches when theyre back on their own.

Edited by Pthigrivi

I love that I spent many years enjoying KSP1, expanding my knowledge of basic orbital mechanics and rocket design. Now I can enjoy KSP2 along with my two boys, who I know will absolutely eat this stuff up and blow me away with their designs. I’m so grateful that the developers put this product out there with room to grow based on their plans and our feedback, giving me the opportunity to enjoy something special to me with my kiddos.

1 hour ago, Pthigrivi said:

I also think the ascent tutorial tells players to begin their turn much too late resulting in a really high Ap. Its fine for the purpose of the video, but Im worried new players will think thats an a good target ascent and end up replicating really inefficient launches when theyre back on their own.

I recall the portion you're referring to but I think it does mention that as you get better at performing gravity turns, you'll understand to start the turn earlier in the flight to yield better performance. Personally, getting an efficient (and stable) ascent profile has always been difficult. So I feel the tutorial gave a sufficient turn point with positive assurance that the player will get better with practice.

Snapping parts together in the VAB feels much more certain. I haven't struggled to get something on a radial decoupler yet. 

- The soundtrack is absolutely stellar, I love that every planet has it's own theme for landing (Especially the drums on the Mun, it adds tension as it's likely to be the first place you land on)

- The Skybox is lovely, love how it looks.

-  Kerbals having more variety, I like that they have different hair, but I'm not too fond of the asymmetrical eyes. Would like to see more surnames (Unpopular opinion ik)

I haven't made a purchase yet, but based on what I've seen from streamers and other commenters:

• It's a nice core enhancement that you can time warp during maneuvers
  • Maybe controversial, but I do like that pausing the game has been integrated into time warping
  • Axial tilt is another nice improvement that shows a core system was worked on
  • The orbit UI looks much nicer and less janky
  • Speeding up the loading time is something many people wanted for a long time and a tough technical nut to crack to boot
Edited by HebaruSan

They have obviously worked on the physics core code ("Physics warp" e.g.). I can say from experience that this is very courageous and rare if you have a super stable physics engine like KSP has. Chapeau. Works fine so far. O.K. some "minor" border and friction problems ("falling through Minmus"). Just finish your great work dear collegues !  :-)

I really like how KSP2 handles 21:9 and 32:9 screens. The UI really opens up, both in the the VAB as in flight mode.

The UI elements of the part picker in the VAB are of a great size making it a lot easier to select parts and build your craft. Even with a few paw's open you have plenty of workspace which you don't have anymore when playing 16:9.

And the same goes for in flight, the navball is big and detailed enough not to dissappear in the left corner, but be very useful in flight. Some paw's are grouped together neatly and some are spread out accros the screen. None however are uninutitively placed and I don't feel the need to even ask the devs to make them 'draggable' to where I want them. 

I think they nailed it. For some screenshots ;

Edited by LoSBoL

@RayneCloud

"Strengths
* Visuals - Far and above KSP1 stock, and (while some would argue) at or at least on par with "Remastered" KSP1 (EVE, Scatterer, Parallax & TUFX)
* User Interface - A strong solid start and foundation, missing some critical features  but over all a clear and easy to read UI that seems to have accessibility for those like me with vision issues in mind.
* Sound - A solid home run and absolute 10/10 here. Absolutely amazing sounds design in the UI, RCS pops, SRB crackles, tire noises, etc 
* Dynamic Music - Yet again, an absolute 10/10 home run here. The dynamic sound track changing music on scene change is just downright amazing and I want to buy the soundtrack please. :) 
* New Parts - 367 total parts puts KSP2's part count well and truly above KSP1's at 333
* New Parts: Proc Wings - Procedural Wings are here to replace dozens of "modular wing" parts and in doing so, give us even MORE creativity and power in vehicle construction. This is just an amazing addition.
* Workspace and Vehicle Assembly - Far and above just flat out better compared to Stock KSP1, could use some work, and some better camera controls, but still a solid foundation.
* Planets - What a giant step up! Axial Tilt? Actual rings? Ground Scatter on a per biome basis? Easter Eggs galore, and so much potential. Well done. Leaps and bounds above KSP 1.
* The New KSC - Just amazing. The new KSC is sprawling and massive and just feels like a real life space center and campus. 
* Customization - Part coloring and customization is a fantastic addition. 
* Load Times - Another thing I see pointed out and also matters to me, load times are vastly improved. 
* VAB Updates - Part Manager, Trip Planner, Action Group Planner and Kerbal Manager, as well as the Change Anchor Part are all fantastic additions or overhauls to existing features.
* VAB Updates Part 2 - Snap Mode updates, as wel las symmetry updates and orthographic view, all good changes and refinements.
* Tutorials - These are adorable, and well suited for teaching new players, and young ones, getting in to space flight.  
* Aerodynamics - Fantastic feeling new aero, love flying and gliding planes.

(...) Overall, I'm happy, excited, optimistic and hopeful. The future is bright and I look forward to another grand adventure in KSP2. Working on KSP 1 was the entry point and absolute highlight of my career and I got to meet wonderful people, in Mu, Harv, C7, Nova, CptSkunky, Marco, etc. Talented, lovely, dedicated people that gave their all to KSP 1. I see that in this team, a group of people who truly care and I wish for your success in every possible way. I'm glad to be along for the ride again as a player and lover of KSP and a lover of space.
-RC"

Honestly, I'm salty about the state of KSP 2 and have been typing up and then deleting salty rants.

So instead,

I like the quick load times. I like the new plumes. Colors are nice, but maybe too metallic. When I use Windows Auto-HDR, the blacks aren't so washed out as in other games. That looks pretty good. New planetary textures are good too. The blockiness of the Kerbin coasts from orbit are... wait, no, I'm trying not to complain. What else? Oh, VAB frustrations aside, I like that you can add parts to parts that aren't attached to your root part, so you can assemble a lander and then attach it to your big ship. That's a cool feature.

I'll come back and complain somewhere else later. But I like these things!

I love the way you  can just remove a root part in the VAB and it reassigns a new one without you have to do anything.  Taking stuff apart and changing your mind is so much easier.

Also, the wheels now have advanced steering adjustment. You can control how responsive they are and also how far they turn. For those of us playing without a joystick, it means no more all or nothing turns, so a lot less flipping of rovers. What an amazing and completely unexpected feature.

The sound: I flew too high and ran out of oxygen. My engine kept clicking trying to restart itself!  That got a good laugh from me.

1 hour ago, Klapaucius said:

Also, the wheels now have advanced steering adjustment. You can control how responsive they are and also how far they turn. For those of us playing without a joystick, it means no more all or nothing turns, so a lot less flipping of rovers. What an amazing and completely unexpected feature.

KSP1 also had advanced steering adjustment, at least in the latest version.  It also didn't have all or nothing control surface deflection.

Edited by RocketRockington

I don't think I mentioned the overall quality of the parts, just how the blend together. But that's worth a mention too, they're just very pretty and detailed overall, and you can get really creative with the paint jobs. Just recently I was thinking I don't want to use one part because I don't like how it looks but when I clicked it into place it looked beautiful. 

I also don't think I mentioned specifically the music, but I should because it's beautiful.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.