[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

21 minutes ago, Rutabaga22 said:

These are the in-game errors B9 is giving.

When it's a ton of B9 errors like that, it's usually some sort of installation issue. I'd remove BDB + its dependencies and reinstall them. If you're still getting the issues, I think it might be a mod conflict (your install seemed pretty packed)

APOLLO APPLICATIONS PROGRAM MISSION AAP-1A

This was a mission planned for late 1968 or early 1969 in the AAP program. Launched on a Saturn IB, this was a standalone mission that used a "platform" of Earth sensors and cameras. As far as I can determine, it had a small pressurized section with an exterior equipment truss. The platform would have been housed in the SLA for launch, with a standard transposition and docking maneuver by the CSM to extract it.

Spoiler

RWKkMhB.jpeg

zfBXpli.jpeg

YUQ0Qbv.jpeg

It never flew. I decided to try to kitbash the platform so that I could actually fly it in KSP. I had built an earlier version of the platform about a year ago using a Coatl Landvermesser as the equipment truss, but I decided today to try to update it. Below are the results.

uM84Oup.png

uSACUDw.png

9UrYu5P.png

P095kBR.png

NC3kA6C.png

Not an exact replica, but close enough for now. It is kind of a cool mission, a precursor to the LM Lab missions. The platform is a little sparse on experiments for now. I might add more later, but have to keep an eye on electrical usage.  This set up only has the fuel cell in the CSM for power.

Edited by DaveyJ576
Added pics

3 hours ago, DaveyJ576 said:

APOLLO APPLICATIONS PROGRAM MISSION AAP-1A

This was a mission planned for late 1968 or early 1969 in the AAP program. Launched on a Saturn IB, this was a standalone mission that used a "platform" of Earth sensors and cameras. As far as I can determine, it had a small pressurized section with an exterior equipment truss. The platform would have been housed in the SLA for launch, with a standard transposition and docking maneuver by the CSM to extract it.

Reveal hidden contents

RWKkMhB.jpeg

zfBXpli.jpeg

YUQ0Qbv.jpeg

It never flew. I decided to try to kitbash the platform so that I could actually fly it in KSP. I had built an earlier version of the platform about a year ago using a Coatl Landvermesser as the equipment truss, but I decided today to try to update it. Below are the results.

uM84Oup.png

uSACUDw.png

9UrYu5P.png

P095kBR.png

NC3kA6C.png

Not an exact replica, but close enough for now. It is kind of a cool mission, a precursor to the LM Lab missions. The platform is a little sparse on experiments for now. I might add more later, but have to keep an eye on electrical usage.  This set up only has the fuel cell in the CSM for power.

Speaking of the LM Lab.
52851956486_46b03cc588_o.png
52852415653_11b4d9d3d7_o.png
52852415768_685d98435a_o.png

I also have additional images of the lab itself. I plan on releasing this on KerbalX at some point. But I wanted to run this by the thread to see if I'm missing anything. Also which rocket was this meant to go up on? I used the Saturn VB but I'm guessing that isn't accurate. I should also note I also made my own modifications, such as adding solar panels on the side.
52852421923_6399aab7ca_o.png
52852360735_2d01a178cb_o.png
52851963006_d9b67f463a_o.png
52852421918_4a5269b520_o.png
52852360815_edf06e764e_o.png

23 minutes ago, Blufor878 said:

Speaking of the LM Lab.
52851956486_46b03cc588_o.png
52852415653_11b4d9d3d7_o.png
52852415768_685d98435a_o.png

I also have additional images of the lab itself. I plan on releasing this on KerbalX at some point. But I wanted to run this by the thread to see if I'm missing anything. Also which rocket was this meant to go up on? I used the Saturn VB but I'm guessing that isn't accurate. I should also note I also made my own modifications, such as adding solar panels on the side.
52852421923_6399aab7ca_o.png
52852360735_2d01a178cb_o.png
52851963006_d9b67f463a_o.png
52852421918_4a5269b520_o.png
52852360815_edf06e764e_o.png

Essentially what you have built is the original design for the Apollo Telescope Mount. It is generally depicted with four Skylab style fold out solar arrays. It could fly as a stand alone mission launched separately from the CSM on its own Saturn IB. Alternately the CSM could fly it to a Wet Workshop where one of the crew could dock it to the space facing (dorsal) docking port, to be operated in conjunction with the Wet Workshop. 

On 4/27/2023 at 10:37 PM, Rutabaga22 said:

How would I figure out the mod conflict?

I had the same problem with B9PartSwitch, this mod, and an RPM IVA mod for BDB (KSA IVA Upgrade (Adopted) [some stock parts, BDB Apollo, SOCK]). When I started the game I got errors very similar to yours (but related to RPM for BDB and B9PartSwitch). 

I had manually installed BDB, B9PartSwitch and the IVA mod for BDB which seemed to cause conflicts, so I manually deleted BDB, the conflicting IVA mod and B9PartSwitch.

I went to Ckan and installed BDB, the IVA mod for BDB (ckan showed it to me as a suggestion), and B9PartSwitch.

The manual installation of some of these mods must have had some error (maybe I made a mistake); after installing them with ckan everything works perfectly fine now.

@Blufor878 AAP Telescope Mount at the wet workshop, along with an attached Goo Lab.

MwnHPmD.png

k1AfGGr.png

This was a dual rendezvous mission. I first launched the workshop on a Saturn IB, then the unmanned ATM on another IB, then the CSM on a third. Rendezvoused and docked with the ATM, then performed the second rendezvous with the workshop. It was a bit of an orbital ballet, but I got it done! The Goo Lab was brought up on a separate Saturn IB/CSM launch.

Edited by DaveyJ576

I'm not sure if this is of interest, but I recently found a set of proposed designs for the Saturn rockets on Encyclopedia Astronautica. It has a ton of details on each variant, including stage name, prop type, engine count with engine name, dry and gross mass, dimensions, etc. Just wondering if these parts could be added. The site URL with some of the vehicles is "http://www.astronautix.com/s/saturnv.html

33 minutes ago, SynFuZe said:

I'm not sure if this is of interest, but I recently found a set of proposed designs for the Saturn rockets on Encyclopedia Astronautica. It has a ton of details on each variant, including stage name, prop type, engine count with engine name, dry and gross mass, dimensions, etc. Just wondering if these parts could be added. The site URL with some of the vehicles is "http://www.astronautix.com/s/saturnv.html

Pretty sure these are all in the mod already.

1 hour ago, SynFuZe said:

found out its not entirely reliable, I'll see if I can somewhere these designs and info of them can be verified

51 minutes ago, JebTheDestroyer said:

Pretty sure these are all in the mod already.

a lot aren't as far as I am aware. The cluster stages for the A-2 and B-1 don't work without using some finessing with Procedural Parts and clipping

1 hour ago, SynFuZe said:

found out its not entirely reliable, I'll see if I can somewhere these designs and info of them can be verified

a lot aren't as far as I am aware. The cluster stages for the A-2 and B-1 don't work without using some finessing with Procedural Parts and clipping

Saturn C-1 derived launch vehicles.   Upto and ALMOST including Saturn C-2 derived vehicles are 100% possible (the Saturn C-2's first stage should be shorter with less fuel [numbers escape my memory ATM])  I wrote articles on these in the link in my signature...

Saturn C-5/V/MLV are all pretty much in the mod except for 156" SRM (that became the Thiokol TX-116 146" Shuttle SRB/SRM)

But Excluding the 156" SRM parts:   You can build Saturn I, IA, IB, I-Monolithic,   Saturn II INT-17, INT-18 and SOON(tm) INT-19.   Saturn C-2 post 1961 (ignoring the tank length for the shorter S-IB first stage.)   And pretty much the entirety of the Saturn V Derived MLV launch vehicles

Edited by Pappystein

17 minutes ago, Pappystein said:

Saturn C-1 derived launch vehicles.   Upto and ALMOST including Saturn C-2 derived vehicles are 100% possible (the Saturn C-2's first stage should be shorter with less fuel [numbers escape my memory ATM])  I wrote articles on these in the link in my signature...

Saturn C-5/V/MLV are all pretty much in the mod except for 156" SRM (that became the Thiokol TX-116 146" Shuttle SRB/SRM)

But Excluding the 156" SRM parts:   You can build Saturn I, IA, IB, I-Monolithic,   Saturn II INT-17, INT-18 and SOON(tm) INT-19.   Saturn C-2 post 1961 (ignoring the tank length for the shorter S-IB first stage.)   And pretty much the entirety of the Saturn V Derived MLV launch vehicles

thank you, I've recently been trying to recreate some of them, and I've had to be really creative with the A-2 and B-1. The A-2 has a stage called "Jupiter cluster" that apparently has 4 Jupiter 1st stages with the S-3 engine (I had to find an engine with similar stats as I use Engine ignitor), and the B-1 has a stage called "Titan cluster" with 4 Titan 1 first stages (I just ended up using 4 LR-91 engines with a procedural lattice structure for hot-firing). I can upload the ones I have so far if you are interested, but I don't know if I can post them here lol

19 hours ago, SynFuZe said:

17 hours ago, Pappystein said:

17 hours ago, SynFuZe said:

thank you, I've recently been trying to recreate some of them, and I've had to be really creative with the A-2 and B-1. The A-2 has a stage called "Jupiter cluster" that apparently has 4 Jupiter 1st stages with the S-3 engine (I had to find an engine with similar stats as I use Engine ignitor), and the B-1 has a stage called "Titan cluster" with 4 Titan 1 first stages (I just ended up using 4 LR-91 engines with a procedural lattice structure for hot-firing). I can upload the ones I have so far if you are interested, but I don't know if I can post them here lol

Oh, if you're talking the A and B series Saturns, yeah we don't have those and have no plans to add them. They'd be... surprisingly difficult to make, unless I textured them very generically (ex, not including the unique Titan stage details in the B-1). They're definitely "wow that would be cool someday" parts but there's definitely no plans for them. I think I'd try and do dedicated C-3 and C-4 parts before I did any of the A/B stages - I could see C-4 stages, with a diameter between the S-IVB and S-1C, being useful to have.

And yes, sadly Astronautix is not what I would consider a reliable source. It's cool, and there's definitely a lot of Soviet stuff that I haven't seen elsewhere. However, the author definitely will do things like making assumptions without denoting them as such, there's a lot of 'placeholder' technical stats that are incorrect, etc. These days we work almost entirely off of primary sources. (Please note that documents being in that folder does not mean there are plans to add it)

17 hours ago, AtomicTech said:

How much more support will BDB receive (i.e. how many more parts)?

Hard to say right now. The team certainly isn't done with the mod, not by a long shot, but KSP2 puts a wrench in things. I don't think there's a lot of motivation to continue adding more parts, knowing it's creating more work for bringing things over to the eventual BDB2.

15 hours ago, lec-- said:

Excuse me, what if I don't want to let the cryogenic fuel run away?I don't want to add a radiator before each launch.

15 hours ago, Royalswissarmyknife said:

I think there is a boiloff setting when you start a new save

might also be able to edit it it with notepad for the settings

I actually have no idea how to disable it now that we use SystemHeat.

My 2c on the matter - cryogenic fuel gives you a lot more performance, and in gameplay terms I like how it is balanced by the boiloff. That means your primary use case for hydrogen will be launch vehicles with short loiter times, and then occasionally using them with radiators for longer term voyages which really only work past a certain scale. If you're launching stuff like Centaur, radiators shouldn't be needed - just don't expect it to be able to do a lunar insertion after days of coasting. That's what the (lower performance) storable fuel stages are for.

12 hours ago, Rutabaga22 said:

What does the SIVF go to?

12 hours ago, SynFuZe said:

I believe it's to an improved version of the Saturn VF "500F" variant. It basically replaces the tapered SIVB with a larger stage. 

Isn't Saturn 500F the facilities test article?

The S-IVF was for making Comet HLLV, but it's also useful for anyone wanting to have a constant diameter LV / needs a wider payload fairing than the S-IVB can provide.

Probably off topic, but I'm having trouble building the mercury atlas, as there's no parts of the atlas that attach to that black mercury interstage. They're all either too small or large. I don't know if I'm missing parts or whatever, but if anyone could help me with it, I'd be very grateful.