[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

On 11/8/2023 at 8:17 PM, dave1904 said:

The Konstellation Program Mod has a model for a compact RS68 but it still sticks out of the SLS Engine housing (image below). Any chance of making an even compacter model without the engine mounts and just the insulation? 

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

I second this.
This would also be better for O.R.A.N.G.E.S. Here you have a similar problem when using 2 RS-68 with the NLS3 Engine Mount.

How do I turn off boiloff? I've gone into the difficulty settings and turned off simulated heat, boiloff, and reduced the percentage down to 0% but it does nothing - boiloff continues. Radiators don't seem to help either and the insulated tank only lasts so long.

EDIT - turning it off in SYSTEM HEAT settings is what fixed it.

Edited by spvceaccountant

Hey guys! 
I’m sorry for my ignorance, if there’s some. 
Is there a patch out there that makes BDB parts less OP
I play in Stock KSP size, scaling is not an option for me cause it’s in conflict with other mods I have. 
A way to make the rockets less powerful matching the Stock system?

41 minutes ago, adriangm44 said:

Hey guys! 
I play in Stock KSP size, scaling is not an option for me cause it’s in conflict with other mods I have. 

I think the mod SMURFF may be of help.

5 hours ago, adriangm44 said:

Hey guys! 

Let me quote what's written on the very first page, in the FAQ: 

On 9/30/2015 at 9:21 AM, CobaltWolf said:

The parts are really overpowered! I managed to take a Mercury Hermes to Mercury Moho.

The parts in BDB are balanced and scaled against the stock parts. Unfortunately, due to KSP's tiny solar system, that means that the rockets you build will be more powerful than their real world counterparts. For realistic balance, use something like a 2.5x to 3.2x rescale. Scaling can be accomplished via Sigma Dimensions, and scale preset configs are available through Rescale!

You could also try the incredibly awesome JNSQ, which comes natively sized at 2.7x scale and works perfectly with BDB

So, BDB parts aren't actually overpowered, they are just as powerful as the stock parts. That means you might want to consider scaling up your solar system, I don't really see why that would be in conflict with any mods. There isn't really a way to "nerf" all the parts in the game to achieve a realistic performance, which makes sense because just increasing the solar system size is a lot easier.

Edited by Neebel

On 11/11/2023 at 7:03 PM, Neebel said:

Let me quote what's written on the very first page, in the FAQ: 

So, BDB parts aren't actually overpowered, they are just as powerful as the stock parts. That means you might want to consider scaling up your solar system, I don't really see why that would be in conflict with any mods. There isn't really a way to "nerf" all the parts in the game to achieve a realistic performance, which makes sense because just increasing the solar system size is a lot easier.

Okay, so then I could use Sigma Dimensions and Rescale to scale up the System to 2.5x without conflicting with any mods. 
But: wouldn’t that cause the stock and other mod parts (like cryogenic engines from Nertea and others) get automatically nerfed by the scale? 

Edited by adriangm44

10 minutes ago, adriangm44 said:

Okay, so then I could use Sigma Dimensions and Rescale to scale up the System to 2.5x without conflicting with any mods. 
But: wouldn’t that cause the stock and other mod parts (like cryogenic engines from Nertea and others) get automatically nerfed by the scale? 

No because they are "overpowered" for Stock-system. Mostly mods are orientated on the stock parts. So they work very well in 2.5x.

15 minutes ago, adriangm44 said:

Wait a minute, stock parts are overpowered for stock system? I’m getting real lost here.

Well, as an example: Build a Saturn V with stock parts and see how far it flies in a stock system. As far as I can remember with stock, you can fly much further than Minmus. In reality, this would not have been possible in the configuration flown with the Apollo spacecraft.

2 hours ago, adriangm44 said:

Wait a minute, stock parts are overpowered for stock system? I’m getting real lost here.

Yes, stock parts are really powerful for the stock system

You can very easily make SSTOs that have good payload margins (that is, they carry a lot of cargo).

Imagine that you built a 1.25 meter rocket with three of the longest tanks and a Vector below. if you put the Mk1 capsule on top of it, ,it can actually reach orbit.
That would be like making the Mercury Capsule reach orbit with a Redstone Rocket (even though in real life, it could only reach sub-orbital speeds).

4 hours ago, adriangm44 said:

No it wouldn't, thats exactly what I was trying to explain. All the part mods are balanced around the stock parts, which themselves are NOT balanced for realistic performance at the stock solar systems scale. 

Edited by Neebel

45 minutes ago, adriangm44 said:

Wow! Great guys! Thank you @Cheesecake @Davi SDF @Neebel, that was great help.

I’ll get over to the respective Rescale post to learn how to figure out the new geostationary orbits and all that stuff.

Cheers!

I recommend Kerbal Engineer. It can show you geostationary Orbit. I use it with Sigma/Sigma Dimensions/Rescale 2.5x. There are ready to use configs for 2.5x.

8 hours ago, adriangm44 said:

I recommend getting JNSQ instead - it's natively scaled up to 2.66x, so you won't need any extra mods. More importantly, planet textures in this mod are made from scratch, so they won't look blurry.

If you want even more challenge, get KSRSS Reborn instead - a 2.66x rescale of RSS. You can use KSCSwitcher mod to move KSC to various IRL locations. Since said locations are all at different latitudes, some launches become more challenging (like GEO, for example - you'll have to factor in inclination change).