[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

21 hours ago, YellowNOFX said:

Where should you put the "Craft Files" folder? Just straight in GameData?

Craft Files go in Saves>savename>Ships>VAB/SPH (depending on whether it's a aircraft/spaceplane or a rocket.

I use an 'empty' save for supplied craft storage. It has several mods worth of rockets in it but no actual ingame activity.

2 hours ago, Sudragon said:

I use an 'empty' save for supplied craft storage. It has several mods worth of rockets in it but no actual ingame activity.

This is what I do, too. These days subfolders are supported by the open craft button, so under the Default save game (which i don't use) I have several subfolders under VAB, eg. one for each part mod I use that has sample files ... e.g. "BDB", "Orion", "Tundra"  - that way any sample can be opened from within any save I happen to be using.

Worked on a couple things today. First, remade a rocket I created in another game, Picus I.
jwBCDhy.png
AjbVE2u.png
OsQMxlk.png

Also an expedition to an upgraded Skylab.
kUvdhlK.png
dPpbRSx.png
TeDmZBa.png
urwfMS1.png
4mXFDvj.png

Still haven't figured out how I want to expand the station. However, @Don0303's GRAPEFRUIT has given me some ideas.
I0SIp1k.png

There's no non-SAF version of the 3.125 -> 3.5m fairing base for Herakles/LDC. Love that fairing base and the included fairings, but some designs just need more complexity there. The Atlas V 5XX 2.5m to 3.5m adapter's fairing works just fine, so it's not a diameter issue. Hoping a customizable/non-SAF version of the big LDC fairing base gets added soon. :D

https://imgur.com/a/rkToNDC

11 minutes ago, AdrianDogmeat said:

Saturn III Rocket Schematic Document

magicpattern-grid-pattern-1705439968240.

Out of curiosity what is the Diameter?   Because the 1st stage looks like it is F-1 equiped   Interesting concept...   156" SRMs + Err sorry you called them RSRMUs so 146"

I might have to investigate this for my use...

20 hours ago, Thatguywholikesionengines said:

There's no non-SAF version of the 3.125 -> 3.5m fairing base for Herakles/LDC. Love that fairing base and the included fairings, but some designs just need more complexity there. The Atlas V 5XX 2.5m to 3.5m adapter's fairing works just fine, so it's not a diameter issue. Hoping a customizable/non-SAF version of the big LDC fairing base gets added soon. :D

https://imgur.com/a/rkToNDC

This is just a config thing so can be done fairly easily. If someone could put this issue on github it will serve as a reminder when I can get to it.

9 hours ago, Pappystein said:

Out of curiosity what is the Diameter?   Because the 1st stage looks like it is F-1 equiped   Interesting concept...   156" SRMs + Err sorry you called them RSRMUs so 146"

I might have to investigate this for my use...

So the first stage is 8.4m (5m ksp scale, not 5.6), and the boosters are the same diameter as the Shuttle/SLS ones

8 hours ago, Zorg said:

This is just a config thing so can be done fairly easily. If someone could put this issue on github it will serve as a reminder when I can get to it.

DONE  Issue added to Github Tracker @Thatguywholikesionengines

7 hours ago, AdrianDogmeat said:

So the first stage is 8.4m (5m ksp scale, not 5.6), and the boosters are the same diameter as the Shuttle/SLS ones

So I take it you are using Tweakscale?  Because the tanks look mostly stock BDB

I toyed around with a 4.25m version of your rocket yesterday...  Used it to launch a very large S-IVC (the Real one, not the ETS one)   As a tanker to my Interplanetary Wetlab (Wet Skylab + Wet Venus/Eros Flyby)  I did make a huge mistake in the launch tho... I included my Apollo Return capsule on the inital launch... that resulted in a huge waste of Hydrolox fuel requiring such a massive tanker effort :(

Edited by Pappystein

1 hour ago, Pappystein said:

DONE  Issue added to Github Tracker @Thatguywholikesionengines

So I take it you are using Tweakscale?  Because the tanks look mostly stock BDB

I toyed around with a 4.25m version of your rocket yesterday...  Used it to launch a very large S-IVC (the Real one, not the ETS one)   As a tanker to my Interplanetary Wetlab (Wet Skylab + Wet Venus/Eros Flyby)  I did make a huge mistake in the launch tho... I included my Apollo Return capsule on the inital launch... that resulted in a huge waste of Hydrolox fuel requiring such a massive tanker effort :(

Yeah the core's basically just a Saturn S-IC downscaled to 5m, and the upper stage is using ORANGES' Jupiter Upper Stage fuel tank with a scaled-up S-IVB/C mount

I used 4.25m tanks in my previous AH but didn't like it since my options were limited to just Saturn I/IC hardware

So Poll Time :P 

I have several articles in reasonable states of research easy reach of finishing.   What would you all like to see next?

1. The Story of Agena?  From Rand Corp to final death by ULA.
  2. Saturn MLV proposals (the beyond Earth SOI Saturns?)
  3. The actual documented proof of where Saturn C-8 comes from and how it is NOT an official Saturn nor a NOVA but a mistake? (yes, I found documented proof)
  4. A little bit HARDER but still possible...  The Story of how Centaur and Agena killed Vega.  Coincidentally this works as a good primer on Centaur.

I have articles that require more lead time that could use my focus as well:

• Pesky Rockets:   The Rockets that were proposed but heavily altered before they were built. (Titan, Atlas, Saturn, Thor and Scout are all covered in this to some extent.)
  • Proposed Upgrades:  Things missing from the Saturn Rocket family in detail with drawings as applicable.
  • KSP Chicanery with Real Rocket parts.   Useful rockets to build with BDB parts in unconventional ways.
  • The Real History of Centaur (not the very broken Wikipedia History)

I am even willing to publish my incomplete and somewhat convoluted history on Minotaur.  

I would appreciate your feedback.  

7 hours ago, Pappystein said:

KSP Chicanery with Real Rocket parts

This I want.

The Story of Agena

This also.

(not the very broken Wikipedia History)

Why not edit the Wikipedia page yourself (with sourcing)?

1 hour ago, bigyihsuan said:

Why not edit the Wikipedia page yourself (with sourcing)?

Because every Wikipedia page I edit, citing sources, people argue with me and say I am wrong and the old page was better, and my changes are ALWAYS erased.
I am fed up with trying to fix Wikipeda because "No it used to say that" is more important than what is right... which isn't what Wikipedia is about....  Sorry for the rant

I am about 80% through with the Agena Article.   The KSP Chicannery is one that I have to build a giant photo-log for but plan on doing in the near future.   Work is slow right now and while I have a lot on my plate that is something I will gladly take on.

Edited by Pappystein

18 hours ago, Pappystein said:

So Poll Time :P 

I have several articles in reasonable states of research easy reach of finishing.   What would you all like to see next?

1. The Story of Agena?  From Rand Corp to final death by ULA.
  2. Saturn MLV proposals (the beyond Earth SOI Saturns?)
  3. The actual documented proof of where Saturn C-8 comes from and how it is NOT an official Saturn nor a NOVA but a mistake? (yes, I found documented proof)
  4. A little bit HARDER but still possible...  The Story of how Centaur and Agena killed Vega.  Coincidentally this works as a good primer on Centaur.

I have articles that require more lead time that could use my focus as well:

• Pesky Rockets:   The Rockets that were proposed but heavily altered before they were built. (Titan, Atlas, Saturn, Thor and Scout are all covered in this to some extent.)
  • Proposed Upgrades:  Things missing from the Saturn Rocket family in detail with drawings as applicable.
  • KSP Chicanery with Real Rocket parts.   Useful rockets to build with BDB parts in unconventional ways.
  • The Real History of Centaur (not the very broken Wikipedia History)

I am even willing to publish my incomplete and somewhat convoluted history on Minotaur.  

I would appreciate your feedback.  

I'd like to hear more Saturn C-8 ranting, please!

2 hours ago, Entr8899 said:

I'd like to hear more Saturn C-8 ranting, please!

Honestly, it isn't ranting... I'm just pointing out that C-8 is not real and proving it with detailed documentation that comes from General Dynamics...   Yes the idea that the "Saturn C-8" is a Saturn C-8 comes from GENERAL DYNAMICS.  You know, the Company at THAT time who couldn't keep its nose out of the frying pan (Centaur, Vega, and several other military side issues like TFX)

It was only with the full subsuming of the Convair Division into GD's corporate structure circa 1969 and then the F-16 program of 1972 that GD started to get out of the muck... then they purchased a ship building company and have been in the muck ever since.)

Edited by Pappystein

Screenshot tax, featuring BDB (plus a few Tantares) parts, Tweakscale, and my friend Techo/Mrpasta44's stock planet revamp.

bQTHeqF.pngtNnINtY.pngriOnkju.png

That upper stage has its own probe core, and is decked out with science gear, having gone from a planned flyby to an elliptical orbit - The Surveyor-with-a-fat-antenna on top separated and successfully landed on the very rocky/icy ringed world. Love the Surveyor parts, the overpowered-but-non-tracking Agena solar panels, and how well everything TweakScales. :D

37 minutes ago, dave1904 said:

Anyone know how the thor able rocket stage ignited? Was it pressurised? Hotstaging or what?

I think it may have been hotstaged, but I am not entirely certain of that. It apparently also could be restarted, which is presumably the reason for the prograde RCS thrusters built into the fuel tank.

Edited by septemberWaves

4 hours ago, septemberWaves said:

I think it may have been hotstaged, but I am not entirely certain of that. It apparently also could be restarted, which is presumably the reason for the prograde RCS thrusters built into the fuel tank.

Ablestar could but not Able. It had 1 ignition. I'd be surprised if it were hotstaged because it has no exhaust vents

6 hours ago, dave1904 said:

Anyone know how the thor able rocket stage ignited? Was it pressurised? Hotstaging or what?

Pretty certain that it separated and ignited a few moments latter, as has already been pointed out it does have prograde cold gas jet thrusters on all but the earliest variants.

ALL AJ10s that were actually built are pressure-fed.    Exceptions to this would have been the Hydrolox AJ-10 for Lunar Apollo (when Apollo was going to land on the moon) and I THINK the Hydrolox GE Apollo D-2 variants.

2 hours ago, Pappystein said:

Pretty certain that it separated and ignited a few moments latter, as has already been pointed out it does have prograde cold gas jet thrusters on all but the earliest variants.

ALL AJ10s that were actually built are pressure-fed.    Exceptions to this would have been the Hydrolox AJ-10 for Lunar Apollo (when Apollo was going to land on the moon) and I THINK the Hydrolox GE Apollo D-2 variants.

It's the earliest version I'm wondering about. I play with engine ignitor and live recreating rockets as realistic as possible in order to learn how they worked. I cannot find anything about the Thor and Vangaurd second stages. If they are pressure fed ullage would not be an issue right? If so I can just disable ullage and keep the ignition to 1? 

I'm not entirely sure how it works. If I remember correctly the shuttle used rcs before it fired its aj10s but it might have been to protect the engine.