Thread to discuss negative things in a very general way, just see where it goes y'know?

DAL59

my battle with amazon continues. got my new chair to day, utter waste of money. im tempted to fish my old one out of the dumpster. is it just me or have people forgotten how to design things. 

also what was up with the internet today? nothing worked. 

Edited by Nuke

What are all of your guy's opinions on "popular" social medias like TikTok and Insta?

I don't really like them. Every one of my classmates except me and a few others have these and all they do is sit on their phones and vertically scroll. It sucks! I don't feel like meaningful conversations with them actually happen because of this. All of these "hacks" like that one about bagels or whatever basically just entitle those who make these videos. The bathrooms in the library at the school i'm at were destroyed and a bunch of people posted themselves doing it!  Hopefully YouTube will remove that crappy #shorts page, and go back to long-form content creation only

9 hours ago, Nuke said:

is it just me or have people forgotten how to design things. 

It's more than just you. I ordered some charging cables, a sweater, and a few stick grips for my Playstation and Switch, and they all broke in some form or another. in a matter of days! It's all for profit and not quality, sadly. 

2 hours ago, AstroWolfie said:

What are all of your guy's opinions on "popular" social medias like TikTok and Insta?

I don't really like them. Every one of my classmates except me and a few others have these and all they do is sit on their phones and vertically scroll. It sucks! I don't feel like meaningful conversations with them actually happen because of this. All of these "hacks" like that one about bagels or whatever basically just entitle those who make these videos. The bathrooms in the library at the school i'm at were destroyed and a bunch of people posted themselves doing it!  Hopefully YouTube will remove that crappy #shorts page, and go back to long-form content creation only

It's more than just you. I ordered some charging cables, a sweater, and a few stick grips for my Playstation and Switch, and they all broke in some form or another. in a matter of days! It's all for profit and not quality, sadly. 

social networking (not media) was a good idea. myspace was superior to facebook in every conceivable way, you could personalize your page, you could talk to people in your own town, you could meet new people. i got dates, nsas, discovered local bands. the site monetized itself only as much as it needed to exist. facebook in comparison is a sterile dumping ground for ideological propaganda and an engine for divisiveness. you dont meet new people, no, they demand you pony up your contacts and force feed you spam while you wait for friend requests and likes.  it does the exact opposite of what myspace did and made it too corporate to boot. i only have a facebook to use my vr headset, i have 3 people who asked to be my friends and never said another word, it wouldn't be so bad, but i know two of them personally. i guess you are supposed to communicate by posting memes and ideology and it sorts you to your designated echo chamber. 

other platforms ive not really used. its just not worth it. i think i have a reddit that i dont use, dont have twitter, idk if youtube counts but i mostly watch it as a tv alternative. tik tok is pure narcissism and i avoid it like the plague. especially the phone screen format. i remember when they came out with the hdtv standards and proclaimed a 16:9 display optimal for human vision, so it really pains me to see people using screens the wrong way around. dont much like youtube's copycatting either.

of course when humans are given multiple options for what to use, they always pick the worst one (qwerty, bluetooth, touchscreens, discord). tech companies are the worst. much of the products offered are last decade's features with this decade's bovine excrement. marketing solutions to long solved problems. oh and you need an account, a pc, and a smart phone and sign away all your personal data to use the service. even if you pony up you are still the product. a decade prior you go to a store pick the product off the shelf and pay anonymously with cash, no accounts on external servers. i really miss those days.

51 minutes ago, Nuke said:

social networking (not media) was a good idea. myspace was superior to facebook in every conceivable way, you could personalize your page, you could talk to people in your own town, you could meet new people.

Facebook made me miss Orkut, by Dog's sake!!!!

7 hours ago, AstroWolfie said:

all they do is sit on their phones and vertically scroll

Hmmm... What a good idea.

All they need to give a purpose to their petty lives, is a wheel to scroll the pages.

Spoiler

conan-the-barbarian-push.gif

49 minutes ago, TwoCalories said:

I got my finger sprained in a sports incident. :/ I have a splint on now, and it's made writing and typing a bit difficult, but it's mostly fine.

Tough it out!

Spoiler

frodo.png?w=640

Edited by kerbiloid

17 hours ago, AstroWolfie said:

It's not the popularity per se, it's the format. Everybody lamented that Twitter's post lengthimit made it a network exclusively for sniping and hot takes, and the imagery-based networks are worse. Perhaps I wouldn't fare too bad with my three feline meme generators, but I just don't understand communicating that way. I need my ranting space!

Today some stuck-up girls in my class told on one of my best friends for something he never did. I heard them scheming in science, and they said something along the lines that he told them to kill themselves, and other stuff that never happened. He's now been suspended. The worst part is I could've actively prevented all of this from happening. I heard they were going to do this, and I was going to tell the teacher they were making this stuff up before they got to him, but I stupidly forgot and now this has happened

7 minutes ago, Kerbalsaurus said:

Today some stuck-up girls in my class told on one of my best friends for something he never did. I heard them scheming in science, and they said something along the lines that he told them to kill themselves, and other stuff that never happened. He's now been suspended. The worst part is I could've actively prevented all of this from happening. I heard they were going to do this, and I was going to tell the teacher they were making this stuff up before they got to him, but I stupidly forgot and now this has happened

Dude, you've still got a chance; go talk to admin ASAP!

2 hours ago, Kerbalsaurus said:

“Secondary schools operate like the Soviet Union in the 1930s in terms of how much evidence can send someone to the gulag detention” was not on my November bingo card.

2 hours ago, Kerbalsaurus said:

That sucks, I have had to deal with people like that.

It's not your or your friend's fault. It's theirs. File an incident report and talk to the office and counselor. Do your best friend's parents/or guardian(s) know/believe that they wouldn't say any of that type of stuff? If trying to convince the adults is a good option, do it. Whatever you do, don't overreact. Be the bigger person. Don't go after them. You could try to probe them, but that probably won't work. 

I really, really, REALLY, want to give those girls a piece of my mind. Why can't people just be nice to each other?

I don't really like them. Every one of my classmates except me and a few others have these and all they do is sit on their phones and vertically scroll. It sucks! I don't feel like meaningful conversations with them actually happen because of this. All of these "hacks" like that one about bagels or whatever basically just entitle those who make these videos. The bathrooms in the library at the school i'm at were destroyed and a bunch of people posted themselves doing it! 

Everyone who's on them, universally, commends me for having never used the Rest Mass or Clock Noise, etc. and urges me to never join them. Doesn't that sound like maybe there's a problem there that should maybe get fixed? Every such thing nowadays is designed to be addicting, and to force users to play the algorithm game in a capitalism where the currency is popularity.

I got a free website of sorts instead to just write about whatever I want, and even that I had to twist and force to stop it from filling with "engagement", so I could make it look as boring and bland as I care to, and fill it only with what I make myself.

Hopefully YouTube will remove that crappy #shorts page, and go back to long-form content creation only

I didn't like Vine when it was Vine and I'm not on Youtube to watch Vine. I do not watch shorts. I also do not watch ads. If there's an ad that somehow manages to force itself onto my screen, I avert my eyes.

11 hours ago, AtomicTech said:

I think all social media except for the KSP Forums, Discord, and maybe LinkedIn are crap.

discord is a gaping security hole and they ban people for not owning smartphones. 

6 hours ago, SunlitZelkova said:

“Secondary schools operate like the Soviet Union in the 1930s in terms of how much evidence can send someone to the gulag detention” was not on my November bingo card.

Killing somebodyself was not prohibited in the Soviet Union in the 1930s, it is a purely Western religious feature.

Well, the Eastern one, too, but anyway not a Soviet one.

On 11/2/2023 at 9:49 PM, AstroWolfie said:

Warning: polarized opinion incoming. Use of cellophane, or any other such material, is not recommended for reading.

"Popular" social media are all (or almost all) owned by big corporations and none of them are even open-source (let alone free software, as in freedom).
They all have "algorithms" (they are snippets of code, actually) designed to make one stay as long as possible on them, since the more users spend time on them, the more income they get.
I don't see the point of spending entire days mindlessly watching cat videos or the like (and achieving not much of great interest) instead of doing more interesting things, such as maths, physics, drawing network maps, learning the names of all known atoms (as well as their number of nucleons, electrons, and the stable isotopes they have), or doing some hacking. (not in the illegal sense of the xterm (pun intended))

Needless to say, I neither like nor use them. IRC is better.

17 hours ago, AtomicTech said:

Dude, you've still got a chance; go talk to admin ASAP!

Does he? The admin has a vested interest in embracing such claims. Don't know what's worse: teachers who "can't do anything to stop the bullying" or overactive admin... you likely get both anyway.

some kids can be very manipulative of the administration, and its usually the bullies that are the best at it. they get busted if they get caught, but they dont always get caught. the ones that fight back on the other hand almost always get caught. then you got some teachers who are of the opinion that its better to let kids settle things on their own for the life lessons and that interference can be detrimental, they often turn a blind eye. not sure zero tolerance policies work either, it just dissuades anti-bullying behavior on the part of the students being bullied. its a problem with no good solution, which is why it still exists. 

On 11/3/2023 at 7:55 PM, Nuke said:

discord is a gaping security hole

How so?

On 11/4/2023 at 8:23 AM, DDE said:

Does he? The admin has a vested interest in embracing such claims. Don't know what's worse: teachers who "can't do anything to stop the bullying" or overactive admin... you likely get both anyway.

You've at least got to try

Hecklers. It sucks to try hard on something and succeed, present it, by yourself, and then people being "genuine" about it by applauding and stuff when you know that they just put other people down and stuff like that, just to annoy people.