[1.12.x] Shuttle Orbiter Construction Kit | Stockalike Space Shuttle Orbiter! | (Tubes!) | v1.1.8

benjee10

3 hours ago, davide96 said:

hello, I tried to use the vertical stab of the old shuttle, but anyway and suddenly at 35000m the shuttle start to yaw to the left and became uncotrollable....

I don't know what to do honestly....

The best is: Do not use SOCK because it is not build for RSS/RO. RO has its own shuttle.

11 minutes ago, davide96 said:

yes, but is not even compatible with an upscaled version of the stock system and with FAR....

SOCK works with upscaled systems up to 2.7x without any problems. But you are using RSS, which is 10x! SOCK was never build for that. But the RO-Shuttle should work with RSS and FAR.

16 hours ago, Cheesecake said:

SOCK works with upscaled systems up to 2.7x without any problems. But you are using RSS, which is 10x! SOCK was never build for that. But the RO-Shuttle should work with RSS and FAR.

Probably due to aerodynamic limitations as far as you know is it possible to tweak this??

25 minutes ago, davide96 said:

Probably due to aerodynamic limitations as far as you know is it possible to tweak this??

Possibly safe. RO has already done this for other mods. So the colleagues at RO would probably be the best people to contact here as they already have experience with this. And as far as I know there are already configs for SOCK in RO. You just have to use RO. It is specially designed for RSS, i.e. 10x, to adapt parts accordingly.
But you are trying to reinvent the wheel here by using RSS but not RO and then trying to adapt the shuttle for RSS. Although this is already implemented in RO.
Unfortunately, I can't help you there.

On 12/21/2023 at 2:15 PM, davide96 said:

hello, I tried to use the vertical stab of the old shuttle, but anyway and suddenly at 35000m the shuttle start to yaw to the left and became uncotrollable....

I don't know what to do honestly....

DON'T use RSS/RO or FAR with THIS mod!!! They don't support it! Ask for help in their own threads, NOT this one, THEY are the ones who make configs for other mods. :D

• 2 weeks later...

hey @benjee10 is there still a plan for another update anytime soon, specifically an update to the craft files with the new OMS engines? Maybe also adding the external tank from ORANGES?

Edited by Elro2k

On 1/8/2024 at 6:57 AM, Brainpop14 said:

The craft file is outdated and won't load anymore. Anyone have an updated one?

What craft file are you talking about? The orbiter itself, or the file with the full shuttle setup?

10 hours ago, Unbreakify said:

What craft file are you talking about? The orbiter itself, or the file with the full shuttle setup?

Both, they both seem to be missing parts.

dZSOvYD.png

Edited by Brainpop14

7 hours ago, Brainpop14 said:

dZSOvYD.png

Thats been a problem since i first started using mods for KSP. Its best to build it from scratch.

9 hours ago, Brainpop14 said:

dZSOvYD.png

To get them working for my latest career, I opened the craft files in a text editor and ran search and replaces to change "Direct.KJ10" to "benjee10.AJ10.v2"  and "B10.APAS" to "B10.APASv2" that allowed me to open them in a sandbox KSP. I then detached and reattached the AJ10s to make sure they were sitting on the correct nodes.

I haven't reached the point in the career where I unlock all the tech needed so I haven't flight tested them yet, but they do open and are editable.

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Sampa said:

For reference, this was entirely my fault as I was reentering at a bad angle and too steeply that the wing was destroyed (using Ferram Aerospace and Deadly Reentry)

My thoughts after this

8d3dyq.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hello! I’m having a bit of trouble with the construction of the shuttle for atmospheric flight.

I’ve built multiple shuttles, one of them identical to the ones shown on mod page, and some with different fuel levels and payload bay configurations.

All of them seem to be back heavy no matter what I do. Is there a way to fix this?

12 hours ago, Sky Kerman said:

Hello! I’m having a bit of trouble with the construction of the shuttle for atmospheric flight.

I’ve built multiple shuttles, one of them identical to the ones shown on mod page, and some with different fuel levels and payload bay configurations.

All of them seem to be back heavy no matter what I do. Is there a way to fix this?

Yes. Pitch down :D. More seriously, are you using FAR? Cause if yes, that's most likely your issue.

2 hours ago, Sky Kerman said:

I’m not to sure what “FAR” is, so I don’t think I use it. Should I be?

FAR means ferram aerospace research and is a mod that adds realistic aerodynamic principles to the game. If every single of your control surfaces can be deployed as an aerobrake and your wings have something called structural integrity then you should be using it, otherwise likely not.

21 hours ago, Sky Kerman said:

Unfortunately this is the problem with all shuttles. It is infamously imbalanced, even in the real world. This is why the RS-25 engines gimbal so much, to correct for the ever-changing center of mass in the rocket. For launching shuttles, I'd recommend MechJeb as your autopilot. I always use it for shuttle missions. For atmospheric flight, use the mod Atmosphere Autopilot. I also have problems flying the shuttle back to land, but so did the real pilots. It really is a brick with wings.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...