KSP2 Hype Train Thread

5 hours ago, Royalswissarmyknife said:

So close to KSP 2 I can imagine my Dres mission already. :happy:

What the hell  is Dres ?  Are they adding new planet/moon in kerbol system?:)

32 minutes ago, xXIndestructibleEVAXx said:

I can already see all the "Orion only to x" videos

"Kerbin to kerbin Orion"... sounds like icbm²

2 minutes ago, Hutsul228 said:

What the hell  is Dres ?  Are they adding new planet/moon in kerbol system?:)

no dres never existed smh, who is dres, and why are you asking for it again smh smh

hope you can see this is satire

2 minutes ago, Royalswissarmyknife said:

But Dres is my favorite planet. :(

Spoiler

Don't worry. It's just a joke because somewhy people think that dres is boring and that nobody visit it.  Nobody will judge you for your favorite planet

Edited by Hutsul228

5 minutes ago, Hutsul228 said:
  Hide contents

Don't worry. It's just a joke because somewhy people think that dres is boring and that nobody visit it.  Nobody will judge you for your favorite planet

Its better than Eelloo who is more boring and is farther away. But Duna / Ike and Jool with its 5 moons is more interesting.

6 hours ago, GoldForest said:

Selectable yield, piston, the Orion is already a good lander, no need for chemical engines.

I think there's a section of the Project Rho engine list website which is titled something along the lines of "DO NOT USE ORION FOR LANDING". The reason it gave iirc was that when you use Orion in atmosphere, the radiation released by the bombs gets absorbed by the air and makes a nuclear fireball. This is fine for your ship (although maybe not for everyone on the planet) because you're accelerating away from the fireball. If you decelerate with Orion, though, you fall directly into the nuclear fireball, and it predictably doesn't go very well.

And if you're landing on a planet that doesn't have an atmosphere to begin with, you can just use a couple methalox engines. You won't need the Orion's thrust to land anyway, and that way you won't have to worry about finetuning a series of nuclear detonations.

Also, looks like we have our first pics of the SWERV engine! And since it does appear to be a nuclear engine (same matte black radiation shielding and liquid hydrogen fuel), but its model doesn't match the models we've seen of the NERV and NERV-US, I think now we know for sure that the NERV-US and the SWERV are in fact different engines. Personally I'm hoping the SWERV is some variant of a gas-core nuclear thermal rocket, but I'll probably be happy with whatever we get.

Edited by obney kerman

21 minutes ago, obney kerman said:

If you decelerate with Orion, though, you fall directly into the nuclear fireball, and it predictably doesn't go very well.

This applies on bodies with atmospheres. Decelerating in a vacuum is just like accelerating in a vacuum, the reason being that your propellant doesn't care about the direction or speed it is traveling without an atmosphere to slow it down. The problem will probably come when you get too close to the ground and your landing site decides to pack up and leave under the bombardment, and the ship is hit by a lot more energy than when under normal acceleration. A sort of "ground effect" but for explosions. 

21 minutes ago, obney kerman said:

And if you're landing on a planet that doesn't have an atmosphere to begin with, you can just use a couple methalox engines. You won't need the Orion's thrust to land anyway, and that way you won't have to worry about finetuning a series of nuclear detonations.

Hey, I'm perfectly reasonable for wanting to have 1 engine on a 1000t lander ;)

Edited by t_v
The rare time I want to use emojis...

So looking at those Duna/spacecraft pictures, and specifically the gif that was posted on the discord, I noticed some... weird stuff.

gap.png

As you can see, there's an odd gap in between the cockpit and cargo bay behind, as well as the last 2 sections towards the engines being all out of alignment. Looking closer at the ship, there are all sorts of parts with this issue. I have no idea what may cause it, but I sincerely hope it's been fixed or will be fixed before early access, cause that's quite alarming. Everything looks good, except that

2 minutes ago, Domonian said:

So looking at those Duna/spacecraft pictures, and specifically the gif that was posted on the discord, I noticed some... weird stuff.

gap.png

As you can see, there's an odd gap in between the cockpit and cargo bay behind, as well as the last 2 sections towards the engines being all out of alignment. Looking closer at the ship, there are all sorts of parts with this issue. I have no idea what may cause it, but I sincerely hope it's been fixed or will be fixed before early access, cause that's quite alarming. Everything looks good, except that

It’s entirely possible whoever built that misaligned the parts while building it for whatever reason. 

Oooor, it's still beta and slight corrections of snapping nodes are needed. Who knows.

Also I wouldn't mind if there was a single place here for all the bits and pieces of info from the devs on discord, now it's spreaded between like three or four threads, hard to follow.

and you know I like information.

16 minutes ago, MechBFP said:

It’s entirely possible whoever built that misaligned the parts while building it for whatever reason. 

6 minutes ago, Strawberry said:

I wont be surprised if that image is a render taken in some sort of editor or something, thus causing the misalign. 

If I had to guess, maybe it was built in the VAB and then teleported to Duna orbit for the shot, and the teleporting system isn't as perfect as it needs to be. Some values for part locations got rounded or were off by a few thousandths or something. Space is big, and numbers are big too.

Just now, The Aziz said:

Also I wouldn't mind if there was a single place here for all the bits and pieces of info from the devs on discord, now it's spreaded between like three or four threads, hard to follow.

Sounds like we need another thread then. I try and keep on top of things going on in Discord, but I'm sure I miss (and forget) some stuff. 

9 minutes ago, Domonian said:

If I had to guess, maybe it was built in the VAB and then teleported to Duna orbit for the shot, and the teleporting system isn't as perfect as it needs to be. Some values for part locations got rounded or were off by a few thousandths or something. Space is big, and numbers are big too.

That was my guess as well. I just dont buy that the craft was that way on the launchpad.

In KSP1 'Set Orbit' and 'Set Position' can cause issues which create part displacement to robotics (and the robotic branch) of crafts left behind so maybe it's part of that issue. It also caused more issues when the docking port drift was a thing after they changed them in 1.12.0

1 hour ago, The Aziz said:

Also I wouldn't mind if there was a single place here for all the bits and pieces of info from the devs on discord

Why can't we use this to centralize the info?

Edited by Missingno200
Expanded sentence.

15 minutes ago, Missingno200 said:

Some of it isn't really... relevant info? "Duna still has ice caps" and "Specific launch times will be released early Feb" aren't really things you'd put in the knowledge repository (okay the Duna one might be but you get the point). There's some stuff thats relatively minor or unrelated to KSP2 content or gameplay.

25 minutes ago, Vl3d said:

Kind reminder: KSP2 EA official release is less that 1 month away!

Yeah, but I wish we knew the exact time. 

Discord is saying Release is at 5AM CST. 

Of course, when asked about it, all the devs say is that an exact timeline will be released in "Early February." They don't confirm or deny the time. 

So, we don't really know what time the release is.

I'm going by the general rule that most games release around 12PM either CST or EST.  Hence why the countdown clock down in my signature is set for Noon CST. 

Edited by GoldForest

11 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

Of course, when asked about it, all the devs say is that an exact timeline will be released in "Early February." They don't confirm or deny the time

We’ll, I guess it makes sense if they think the 24th is in early February, since the game was supposed to come out in 2020 initially.  :sticktongue:

3 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

We’ll, I guess it makes sense if they think the 24th is in early February, since the game was supposed to come out in 2020 initially.  :sticktongue:

Lol, They said "The timeline information for release will be released in early February."

Not that the game would be released early February.. :P

Edited by GoldForest

5 hours ago, Missingno200 said:

That's exactly what I was going to use the data for. But it's not easy to grab all the data if it's smeared across two communities.

Unless, per the first picture in said thread, people would kindly send everything they find to there.

17 hours ago, Stephensan said:

jokes on you, i WILL make a video using the orion drive to make a probe orbit around the mun.

To be doable does not mean it is a good Idea and even less that puts the engine in the "all too useful"category

8 hours ago, Strawberry said:

I wont be surprised if that image is a render taken in some sort of editor or something, thus causing the misalign. 

This is beta imagery, which means it is in-game footage.