The Lounge's "Random Questions That Don't Need Their Own Thread" Thread

JoeSchmuckatelli

is there a word for going forwards and backwards??? like "strafing" but going straight.

the lack of one is driving me insane- i dont' want to write "going forwards and backwards" but I don't want to use a made-up word!

Edited by LHACK4142
new page!

3 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

Longitudinal Spatial Oscillation

I want to like this so much. This is like fluffing up a resume- flipping a burger becomes, "Alternating denaturization procedure".

I'm out of likes for the day, so take my hearty lol.

On 4/7/2023 at 6:37 AM, LHACK4142 said:

is there a word for going forwards and backwards??? like "strafing" but going straight.

the lack of one is driving me insane- i dont' want to write "going forwards and backwards" but I don't want to use a made-up word!

While I like @kerbiloid's answer... We use "rocking".  As in when you get your jeep stuck, one way to free it is by rocking it back and forth. 

16 hours ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

While I like @kerbiloid's answer... We use "rocking".  As in when you get your jeep stuck, one way to free it is by rocking it back and forth. 

Its one word who works but think its more to do with using the pendulum effect to build up energy. 
Say some machine part moving forward and back is oscillating.

Strafing is also an video game term  related to movement, the only other use is air to ground gunfire.  I don't think shooting while running would be very accurate in real life. Doable at close range like inside buildings.

17 hours ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Well, actually, the correct term in that instance is "Tacoma". As in, "My friend's Jeep got stuck, so I used my Tacoma to pull him out."

:D hide.gif

On 4/7/2023 at 12:37 AM, LHACK4142 said:

Strafing forwards and backwards while rocking. 

guys... do you have tips on how to git gud at calculus, especially the topics in ap calc ab? Specifically, I have to generally get faster and more fluent, and before may 8.

also how do you notice small mistakes, like forgetting to turn the 12 on the other side of an equation into 0 when differentiating both sides? You can double-check and stuff, but the problem is that my brain had subconciously labeled that part of the equation as "so trivial I don't have to pay attention to it" so I just skipped over it. (I think there's a name for that effect, also)

Also I somehow feel like I don't have enough RAM for these problems?? Like sometimes I feel like there's too much information in the problem statement and in my head for me to store and handle at once?? Apparently it's not unheard of among people which ADHD, which I suspect I have but have not been diagnosed with- does anyone else get this feeling, and what can help with it?

• 3 weeks later...

Is there a certain set of conventions that the Soviets used for city naming? I'm playing Workers & Resources: Soviet Republic and need to know because I want to combine Japanese, American, and Russian city names without it being awkward.

Example of a dilemma I face- pretty much all cities named after people are named after men, who don't have their names end in vowels. But every Japanese names ends in a vowel, so I am wondering if there is an alternative to the suffix "-grad" (as in Leningrad), because "Hirategrad" might be awkward.

Conventions I have identified so far-

"-vsk", examples: Sverdlovsk, Leninsk

"-grad", examples: Leningrad, Kaliningrad

"-ograd", example: Kirovograd

"-o", example: Stalino (former name of Donetsk)

plain name, example: Korolev

• 2 weeks later...

how does one make, keep, and better friendships? i struggle with all of these- if you're trying to make a friendship, you talk to someone, right? say hi? well after that what do you say? talk about the weather? well that's only gonna get you so far. you could talk about common interests, but having common interests means you both know what is to be known about the subject.

and keeping/bettering friendships- how does that work? so far playing video games together is a pretty good way to keep a friendship, i've found, but what if the person doesn't play games? and how much should you text people, and what should you text them? because i don't know, i only text people when necessary for practical reasons, but i've been told that i should text more. I'd certainly like to text more, especially if it'll help friendships, but I don't know what to say, and when I have an idea, I'm too anxious to put it to any use- am I being annoying? if it's a question or advice, am I just selfishly using them as a resource and nothing more? and how much should I text? and how do I get out of what I call the "acquaintance-zone", where you've talked to someone, kinda know them, but not that well, especially if you don't get to see the person too much?

Edited by LHACK4142

1 hour ago, LHACK4142 said:

how does one make, keep, and better friendships? i struggle with all of these- if you're trying to make a friendship, you talk to someone, right? say hi? well after that what do you say? talk about the weather? well that's only gonna get you so far. you could talk about common interests, but having common interests means you both know what is to be known about the subject.

and keeping/bettering friendships- how does that work? so far playing video games together is a pretty good way to keep a friendship, i've found, but what if the person doesn't play games? and how much should you text people, and what should you text them? because i don't know, i only text people when necessary for practical reasons, but i've been told that i should text more. I'd certainly like to text more, especially if i  but I don't know what to say, and when I have an idea, I'm too anxious to put it to any use- am I being annoying? if it's a question or advice, am I just selfishly using them as a resource and nothing more? and how much should I text? and how do I get out of what I call the "acquaintance-zone", where you've talked to someone, kinda know them, but not that well, especially if you don't get to see the person too much?

my-friendship-circle-through-my-life-v0-

How do railways solve the issue of U-turns? (Asking about IRL even though I intend to use it in Cities: Skylines).

Say you have a warehouse next to a main line that you want to hook up.

9b22ccbc5be866db0e66a28c761f0d1526392ad0

You're unlikely to go through the trouble of a graded Y intersection, so the train needs to be routed somewhere to reverse when the destination is in the opposite direction... right?

On 5/16/2023 at 7:15 AM, LHACK4142 said:

and keeping/bettering friendships- how does that work? so far playing video games together is a pretty good way to keep a friendship, i've found, but what if the person doesn't play games? and how much should you text people, and what should you text them? because i don't know, i only text people when necessary for practical reasons, but i've been told that i should text more. I'd certainly like to text more, especially if it'll help friendships, but I don't know what to say, and when I have an idea, I'm too anxious to put it to any use- am I being annoying? if it's a question or advice, am I just selfishly using them as a resource and nothing more? and how much should I text? and how do I get out of what I call the "acquaintance-zone", where you've talked to someone, kinda know them, but not that well, especially if you don't get to see the person too much?

When I find out, I'll be sure to tell you. That info would make a good present for my imminent 30th birthday...

No, I'm not hopelessly lovestruck, and no, that's just sand in my eyes.

Edited by DDE

23 minutes ago, DDE said:

How do railways solve the issue of U-turns? (Asking about IRL even though I intend to use it in Cities: Skylines).

You're unlikely to go through the trouble of a graded Y intersection, so the train needs to be routed somewhere to reverse when the destination is in the opposite direction... right?

When I find out, I'll be sure to tell you. That info would make a good present for my imminent 30th birthday...

And, no, that's just sand in my eyes.

It depends on the kind of train. An American passenger train uses a wye track to do something of a three point turn, while a Japanese Shinkansen can be controlled from either end and thus doesn’t need to be turned around. A freight train will have the engines switch places rather than turning the entire train around. So it decouples and uses a wye track or turn table and then travels along another track to the other end.

Wye track-

1024px-Wye.svg.png

I’m taking a very big chance “graded Y intersection” somehow does not refer to wye track lol.

45 minutes ago, DDE said:

I would suggest adding an exit at the other end of the warehouse, which connects to the main line.

2 hours ago, Nazalassa said:

I would suggest adding an exit at the other end of the warehouse, which connects to the main line.

Doesn't seem I will be able to in this particular illustrative case... and I was looking for a solution that would cover situations where the stub branches off quite a bit.

2 hours ago, SunlitZelkova said:

It depends on the kind of train. An American passenger train uses a wye track to do something of a three point turn, while a Japanese Shinkansen can be controlled from either end and thus doesn’t need to be turned around. A freight train will have the engines switch places rather than turning the entire train around. So it decouples and uses a wye track or turn table and then travels along another track to the other end.

Wye track-

1024px-Wye.svg.png

I’m taking a very big chance “graded Y intersection” somehow does not refer to wye track lol.

All trains in C:S are double-ended - even the freight train with a locomotive on one end can drive backwards. However, they can only reverse and "switch lanes" only at a station (you can see the scissor switch on the concrete section of the track in the image above). This means that a train exiting the warehouse in the above image cannot go leftwards unless I were to create the equivalent of a proper wye track - which is, naturally, quite space-comsuming.

Basically, C:S rules of train movement push you to set up double wye track junctions all over the place - and then those transition to wye flying/borrowing junctions when traffic builds up.

It looks like what I was thinking about is called a balloon loop, and it usually only sees use with trams. I might have to use those to simplify the arrangements described above.

I think I have my question answered, thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Id like to ask for something of a group opinion. As you all know I fly the PMDG 737-700 and the 737-800 in MSFS2020. I tend to use the AI Azure voice system (text to speech) but the last 7-10 flights its glitched where its either i hear no atc or my ai fo or just my ai fo or (the one id prefer but doesn't happen often) just the atc. I am a member of vatsim and have 3-4 flights under my belt on it, but am still new to it and a bit shy/nervous. Im getting tired of my ai atc glitching and not hearing anything. So, heres the question:

should i just give up on the ai and stick to vatsim even if it means im either going to make mistakes as i get used to/learn proper atc stuff or (typically most controllers are logged out when i fly) fly mostly on unicom (for uncontrolled airspace)? Thoughts? Encouragements?

edit: im confident in my airborne skills ((ive flown sims for decades)) its the ground work; taxiing and clearances that are the harder part. Taxiing espec since i dont have a moving map for my charts that would overlay my aircraft on my charts.

Edited by AlamoVampire

On 5/18/2023 at 1:25 PM, DDE said:

Doesn't seem I will be able to in this particular illustrative case... and I was looking for a solution that would cover situations where the stub branches off quite a bit.

All trains in C:S are double-ended - even the freight train with a locomotive on one end can drive backwards. However, they can only reverse and "switch lanes" only at a station (you can see the scissor switch on the concrete section of the track in the image above). This means that a train exiting the warehouse in the above image cannot go leftwards unless I were to create the equivalent of a proper wye track - which is, naturally, quite space-comsuming.

Basically, C:S rules of train movement push you to set up double wye track junctions all over the place - and then those transition to wye flying/borrowing junctions when traffic builds up.

It looks like what I was thinking about is called a balloon loop, and it usually only sees use with trams. I might have to use those to simplify the arrangements described above.

I think I have my question answered, thanks.

Yes, most passenger trains can be controlled from both ends.  For freight or passenger trains with an locomotive you simply need two switches so the locomotive can move to other side of train. 
Think this has always been the case after steam locomotives who used turntables. 
Think trams uses balloon loops as they can turn much more rapid than trains 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/28/2023 at 4:12 PM, AlamoVampire said:

Id like to ask for something of a group opinion. As you all know I fly the PMDG 737-700 and the 737-800 in MSFS2020. I tend to use the AI Azure voice system (text to speech) but the last 7-10 flights its glitched where its either i hear no atc or my ai fo or just my ai fo or (the one id prefer but doesn't happen often) just the atc. I am a member of vatsim and have 3-4 flights under my belt on it, but am still new to it and a bit shy/nervous. Im getting tired of my ai atc glitching and not hearing anything. So, heres the question:

should i just give up on the ai and stick to vatsim even if it means im either going to make mistakes as i get used to/learn proper atc stuff or (typically most controllers are logged out when i fly) fly mostly on unicom (for uncontrolled airspace)? Thoughts? Encouragements?

edit: im confident in my airborne skills ((ive flown sims for decades)) its the ground work; taxiing and clearances that are the harder part. Taxiing espec since i dont have a moving map for my charts that would overlay my aircraft on my charts.

I'd say go for it- nobody's really gonna care if you make some mistakes here and there, and everyone starts out bad at things. You'll also probably get a lot of enjoyment out of it once you're good at it too. ---- it, we ball, ya know?

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

a random find

The pizza joint around the corner from my high school had one.  We thought $.50 was an ungodly amount to play for anything like that.  (Ice Cream was $.30, slice of pizza and a coke was $1.50).  But the game was so cool we couldn't NOT play it.

Still have fond memories!

Steam Screenshots and Artwork are dominated by posts such as this:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2992016981

The comments below are rather inauthentic, and it's often the same suspects. This feels like botting.

But why would anyone use bots for such a thing, and if it's a meaningful purpose, why is Valve doing nothing to counter?

11 hours ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

The pizza joint around the corner from my high school had one.  We thought $.50 was an ungodly amount to play for anything like that.  (Ice Cream was $.30, slice of pizza and a coke was $1.50).  But the game was so cool we couldn't NOT play it.

Still have fond memories!

Damn, I'm ancient.  I remember this.  I also remember at least for me the game was a hella hard.