Week One Adventures

Nate Simpson

4 minutes ago, Alexoff said:

How about adding new bugs? Usually, traditionally in KSP 1, the first patch fixed some of the old bugs and added about the same number of new ones, after which the second patch came out with the correction of new bugs.

Good point. We only want the best new bugs, not the common kind.

Nate and Team, thanks for all the hard work.  My wife and I are cheering you on.   My wife wore a Kerbal shirt to a charity function today, and so many people came up to her and talked about KSP 1 and 2..   All of you are making something special.   

The list above says one thing to us, "Progress toward a classic in the making."   Remember to eat and sleep..., and, maybe shower.

5 minutes ago, Strawberry said:

Any guesstimate on when we will see science or reentry heating?

Science? I'm predicting summer

Re-entry heating I imagine will be soon as apparently it just needs tweaking

This dev update post and transparent communication is a welcome sight and an  encouraging sign, so thank you.  I've been disappointed that the game was released in an unplayable state and disheartened that we haven't had clear communication from the dev team and I had lost hope for this game. While I still have many reservations, this post gives me a glimmer of hope. Fingers crossed

Just now, Tazooka said:

Science? I'm predicting summer

Re-entry heating I imagine will be soon as apparently it just needs tweaking

My personal speculation, code diving reveals that at least a lot of the science update is done, so Id expect it before May, I wont be suprised if part heat is introduced alongside the science update as presumably some engines will need radiators

This was exactly what I hoped you would do: take your time, collect and rank feedback, make a plan. Although I refunded at the fime being, this strengthens my trust in you. I really hope you can pull it off. 

29 minutes ago, Nate Simpson said:

This is actually a great question! We have a very strong sense of which bugs affect the gameplay experience the most right now, and those issues have been assigned accordingly. Unfortunately, there is often a correlation between the profundity of a bug and the amount of time it takes to correct. This sometimes has the effect of "low importance" bugs seeming to get fixed on a faster timeline than "game breaking" bugs, and this is interpreted by some observers to mean that those bugs were more important to us. This is not the case. There are many people working on many bugs in parallel, and some of the systems involved are highly complex.

As a developer myself, I can definitely say that while I am working on some larger bugs, I may need some time to clear my head, so I switch temporarially to some more simple bugs, then come back to the bigger one with a fresh perspective.

Also, while you got some team mebers assigned busy working on the bigger bugs, you can have other team members cleaning up the low hanging fruit. After all, getting the issues fixed no matter how big or small is the name of the game.. 

Then couple that with public expectation... If for example, the team released an update that only resolved the Terrain performance issue, people will be sitting there saying "What?? Is that all you got done!! What have you been wasting the rest of your time on?". This update is a good mix of fixes, I am looking forward to it even though deep down I really want > 2fps trying to launch on my GTX1650.

Great work @Nate Simpson and the rest of the team. Pass on my regards!

51 minutes ago, cemgorey said:

Please implement proper regional pricing in Turkey! you are currently asking literally 10% of my monthly wage for this EA game.

Concur and support. Turkiye has had it rough lately 

20 minutes ago, MarcAbaddon said:

Good point. We only want the best new bugs, not the common kind.

I get this 

15 minutes ago, LoSBoL said:

Congratulations on the launch, it was a rough ride to orbit.  

My feelings exactly 

21 minutes ago, Lemit said:

Nate and Team, thanks for all the hard work.  My wife and I are cheering you on.   My wife wore a Kerbal shirt to a charity function today, and so many people came up to her and talked about KSP 1 and 2..   All of you are making something special.   

The list above says one thing to us, "Progress toward a classic in the making."   Remember to eat and sleep..., and, maybe shower.

A great post 

Glad to hear!

Nate, I really miss having heat and reentry/aero FX. I'm not asking for specifics about what the Science update will bring, but regarding heating and VFX, it was said that "we won't have them during a brief window at the start of EA", but could we get a rough estimate of how long we'll have to wait to see what was one of the most anticipated aspects of the game?

So how long before we have at least base ksp 1 in the game. I played around for a few mins but I have no desire to just build rockets to send to places with nothing to do at least with drills and fuel creation I could setup orbital depots and have places to fill up and go about the system but there aren't even airbrakes in the game yet this feels like when console was told you would include everything up to a build version and then left out the biggest feature that had been added the maneuver node planner. Seriously what's the timeline for even getting reentry added i can't even build fun starships cause someone didn't include all the parts... hinges? Or is that going to be another dlc added on later. 

7 minutes ago, Superfluous J said:

Does code diving reveal how it's being implemented? Did you or someone else document what they've found somewhere?

Asking for a friend.

I dont know too much about specifics but I do know people have found traces of the tech tree and also a disabled science tab in the parts menu. Personal speculation but with this in mind I believe the very core of use parts, get science points, unlock stuff would be the same, (this next bit is very much personal speculation) but I would not be surprised if we see changes regarding placement of things on the tech tree and also how these parts generate science change.

What's holding you back from releasing these patches from day one? Game has been released in EA for a week and no updates or hotfixes or anything. Plus, saying these fixes will come in the next weeks makes the situation worse. As others have stated, KSP2 with a triple-A team behind them can't do what HarvesteR did back when KSP1 released its first alpha/beta versions.

I wish the patches would become more frequent. Taking 3-4 weeks after releasing in EA to address some issues that should've been fixed and caught during pre-launch QA tests is simply unacceptable for a company as big as Take2.

37 minutes ago, Alexoff said:

How about adding new bugs? Usually, traditionally in KSP 1, the first patch fixed some of the old bugs and added about the same number of new ones, after which the second patch came out with the correction of new bugs.

See my signature. Or in case you don't see it,

DwgZx2fUcAAO-wY.jpg

7 minutes ago, Topher420247 said:

So how long before we have at least base ksp 1 in the game

We have most of it already, and more beyond that.

And I'm sure you've seen the roadmap and you're fully aware that resource extraction comes in the second to last feature update.

4 minutes ago, linecrafter said:

Hilarious bug, was fun for some time but its time to let go :D 

Too bad I've never seen that in person, I'd probably die laughing.

But no, for me it must be always something disappearing, be it clouds, engine shrouds, crew portraits, ocean, the whole atmosphere...

Thanks for the update @Nate Simpson; it looks like the team has been working hard to fix the issues. I was quite disappointed by the number of bugs in the game (which I have reported) at launch despite having very modest expectations, but clear communication and progress like this will make up for it. As a software engineer and ex-game-developer myself it would be great to see some blog posts come out of this in the same vein as Factorio's "Friday facts" series. It's always fascinating to see under-the-hood, and the kind of bugs we've seen could probably make for some entertaining stories...

Performance improvements are obviously nice, but I honestly hope they are not prioritised. Making the game *feel* like a solid and reliable foundation is far more important in general, but doubly so for this kind of game.

1 hour ago, Stephensan said:

[snip]

anyone delusional enough to not compliment what they have done in week, and will be finished is insane.. instead of doing day by day, hour by hour patches/fixes, they are waiting to do one big "chunk" at a time.

I really hate ksp 2 overall, and the majority of this is what is promised, and what was given, other than that, its a game to me... does this make me a fanboy to appreciate what will come in the following weeks as a update? 

you underestimate a company that is still missing alot of key roles..

don't know what they are missing

https://www.interceptgames.com/

as i said people really underestimate the amount of work that has been shown of this post.

not like Intercept Games and Private Division have the resources from Take2 at their disposal, not like they have a multi billion dollar publisher taking care of the game... oh right, they're indie devs, aren't they?