Shine On, You Crazy... Planet?!?

Nate Simpson

To be fair, the game is in a more or less playable state (for me at least) right now. There's the *occasional* bug that crops up but the one that was bothering me was the auto-save issue which 'appears' to be fixed. So, whilst there's room for improvement in terms of performance, I'm sure that aspect will come over time. Looking forward to the first roadmap objective being reached!

A little sidenote, is there plans to reintroduce engine (and other parts) variants like in Kerbal Space Program 1? Also, any plans to have some kinda of procedural heat shielding for wings, that was one area the first game was rather poor, space planes due to having no real thermal protection.

1 hour ago, MichaelJWP59 said:

Who would want a daily update with 1 fix, to take it to extremes? Equally, we don't want to wait 3 months

True, but I would still appreciate some more info on what is being worked on. I understand that there are some risks when communicating this with "casual community". As an example, we are working to fix X, but at the last week, you figure out that fixing X opened another can of worms, and patch is better off without it,and than everyone goes "waaah, false promises, grrrr!!!" 

I guess middle ground needs to exist there as well. But at least some vague hints in what direction development is going, rather than we're working on it. EA has been released. Courtains have fallen. No need for so much secrecy to keep up the hype now.

Dunno... 

9 hours ago, AtomicTech said:

Man, what a community we've got here :grin:

Not afraid to sugar-coat anything!

Looking back on this, I totally agree with this. We really should've noticed the fact that we didn't get much content and that it took forever to get gameplay footage (remember the one clip from a tutorial? I do, I was there when it went live.)

Even you? Man, this sucks. I feel like I'm defending a game for no reason.

Maybe as the middle ground they would consider opening a public beta program, which would make a new build available before it was checked off by their QA to those interested to try out new things and report issues back to developers for quicker turnaround? Of course those volunteering mush understand what they are getting into and accept all risks associated with running pre-pelease (and perhaps more heavily instrumented to make debugging easier) software, but this approach has been used by a few games I played and as far as I can it was very successful as long as developers were willing to investigate those newly found issues and see if they can provides fixes quickly.  Just a few weeks ago I participated in X4: Foundations beta program for their new version 6.0 release, and devs successfully squashed A LOT of bugs and issues during this public beta problem. So this approach can be absolutely made to work wonders if both sides (devs and volunteers) are ready to contribute their share.

Edited by asmi

11 hours ago, Superfluous J said:

2 minutes later...

Yeah, and you forgot to read this:

In 90% of cases, people will funge "developers", "publisher", "them" and such under the same umbrella. There are some outliers like blaming the tech director, but other than that... not too much specific hate towards the devs.

49 minutes ago, asmi said:

Maybe as the middle ground they would consider opening a public beta program

Man this brings me back to like 10 years ago when we asked the same thing of KSP1 devs, back when they also decided to slow down updates because they would include more QA in their updates and they still released them with easy to find game breaking bugs in them.

Spoiler: they said no because reasons.

Edited by PDCWolf

2 hours ago, PDCWolf said:

Man this brings me back to like 10 years ago when we asked the same thing of KSP1 devs, back when they also decided to slow down updates because they would include more QA in their updates and they still released them with easy to find game breaking bugs in them.

Spoiler: they said no because reasons.

I personally participated in KSP1 experimentals for a while, so that is not exactly true. Also all major modders were given access to experimentals as well, so there were quite a number of people participating, and altogether we squashed quite a lot of bugs.

Edited by asmi

Bottom line, vague communications are bad and that is mostly all we have seen. I think most players would probably agree with the sentiment "fix the bugs first/now". Distraction topics like Jool's sky whatever and parking garage clipping just insult fans. Shame.

Don't want people upset? Say when & what you are going to do and do it. Skipping the saying part, doesn't get you out of it.

Sincerely,

- a faith shaken long time fan.

Not to be negative or anything but this isn't exactly the news I was hoping for and I'm conflicted on how I feel. Currently I have two main gripes: the current mechanics in the game facilitates a horrible experience where I am fighting the game nearly every step of the way to do basic tasks and the other being that there currently isn't much to have fun with. After too many attempts at simple things (like making a simple 10 part plane) I get frustrated and close the game. But even if I manage to get a successful goal (like launching a suuuuper simple rocket and landing on kerbin or the mun), then I feel like I have done everything that's possible in the game. The steam charts have been declining at a rapid rate and every update sees a small surge that quickly declines. And while I know the importance of communities I also feel it looks very disingenuous to see all of the social media posts acting as if the game is playable. I get that the weekly challenges are supposed to take the place of any in game goals at the moment but the memes and positivity seems like it's being done way too early to where it gives me a bad taste. It's like I'm constantly being reminded of things I WANT to do in the game but just can't. I also wish communication was better. Looking at Satisfactory as an example, they have been EXTREMELY upfront with development issues and does a great job of conveying to the community the struggles they are having and how they plan to approach a solution. But here I feel we are just getting a lot of PR responses. Overall, I'm very jealous of anyone who manages to have a good experience in the game and hope to one day join the fun.

What I think I find most unsettling is that, nearly a week after this announcement and with a lot of the community both speaking out against it AND people really jumping ship from KSP2, none of the CM's have bothered to try explaining any meaning behind what Nate said that we may have missed.  While Nate's statement about slowing the cadence and the proof that they are working on stuff that's down the roadmap is a bad look, saying nothing at all since then is even worse.  I have to wonder how much of the community has to stop playing KSP2 before TT/IG/PD either starts talking to us on a real level...or they abandon the project altogether.

2 hours ago, Scarecrow71 said:

What I think I find most unsettling is that, nearly a week after this announcement and with a lot of the community both speaking out against it AND people really jumping ship from KSP2, none of the CM's have bothered to try explaining any meaning behind what Nate said that we may have missed.  While Nate's statement about slowing the cadence and the proof that they are working on stuff that's down the roadmap is a bad look, saying nothing at all since then is even worse.  I have to wonder how much of the community has to stop playing KSP2 before TT/IG/PD either starts talking to us on a real level...or they abandon the project altogether.

You'd probably have to take it to the Discord. That's where companies hide when they want to say empty stuff with a low chance of someone coming against them, just a quick outrage, slowmode, and then we move the conversation on. (I'm not saying the PD/KSP discord is like this, but I've had too many experiences like this with corporate discords).

11 hours ago, Scarecrow71 said:

none of the CM's have bothered to try explaining any meaning behind what Nate said that we may have missed.

They appear to be flying in radio silence :\

1 hour ago, TLTay said:

See you guys later this year for the cancellation announcement.

I sincerely hope not.

I just hope that T2 and PD do decide to keep this thing afloat.

However, we must prepare ourselves for this awful possibility ;.;

Spoiler

I do also want to point out that the cancellation of KSP 2 would kill the franchise.

On 5/2/2023 at 8:56 AM, asmi said:

Maybe as the middle ground they would consider opening a public beta program, which would make a new build available before it was checked off by their QA to those interested to try out new things and report issues back to developers for quicker turnaround?

Sign me up! :)

On 5/2/2023 at 10:54 AM, ninjaj03 said:

Bottom line, vague communications are bad and that is mostly all we have seen.

Here's another one for you from Dakota:

"Hope you all have had a great two weeks! We've been super busy over here at Intercept but we continue to be astounded by all of your community contributions!" 

Edited by AtomicTech

"There are a couple of reasons for this, not least of which is that every time we release an update, we divert resources that would otherwise be focused on continuing to improve the game"

So what I really don't understand:

How come a company that makes a game doesn't anticipate there will be bugs??? Here, they claim to delay updates, because fixing bugs distracts the content creation teams...

So they only planned content creation and NOT bug fixes? How come the bug fix is slowing down the project?

All games have bugs, especially in EA. Didn't they foresee the kraken pointing the tip of its nose? How dare they say that fixing bugs delays them????? And that they prefer to slow down the updates, to have more time to devote to the creation of content... No, fix the game, do not complicate it before that.

Obviously I don't understand the argument. I find it mind-boggling.

(And I'm not talking about the choice of priorities. In my eyes, fix bugs first, and add content second).

I don't work in this area, but I still have some logic.

Courage to you, I don't have any more.

Tip: Do not correct anything more, you will save time. Just add content, bugs don't really bother anyone.

On 5/1/2023 at 6:22 PM, Scarecrow71 said:

I highly doubt this.  The game is barely playable in its current state, major bugs still need fixing, we've received no new content in the game, the first major feature (Science) is still being worked on, and Nate came out last week and indicated they are slowing down the cadence for patches.  What on Kerbin makes you think they can hit 1.0 - which is every major feature on the roadmap being implemented - in a years' time?

I’m guessing they rush out a 1.0 release. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 4/29/2023 at 12:00 AM, Nate Simpson said:

On the subject of updates: our update cadence is going to slow down a little bit. There are a couple of reasons for this, not least of which is that every time we release an update, we divert resources that would otherwise be focused on continuing to improve the game. We are always balancing our desire to improve the current Early Access experience against long-term goals that involve more time investment. This is a very personal issue for me, because as a fan I want the game to be perfect and awesome right now! But since genies don’t actually exist, that’s not how we’ll arrive at the best version of KSP2. We will continue to release updates prior to our big Science Feature update, and hopefully a slower update cadence will mean that when they do go out, they contain more robust improvements. We are still working out what that exact cadence looks like, and I’ll update you here when I know more.

After many months, one can only guess in which direction the focus of the game's development was shifted. What would happen if the focus remained the same? Can not understand anything

On 10/14/2023 at 4:45 PM, Alexoff said:

After many months, one can only guess in which direction the focus of the game's development was shifted. What would happen if the focus remained the same? Can not understand anything

I must admit I'm kinda curious for some clarification regarding development, like is anything actually happening or...? It's a bit below board to keep people in the dark like that. Dakota mentioned over a month ago about some 'exciting new stuff' in 0.1.5 but then has been essentially radio silent about it ever since. In-fact, I have no idea when 0.1.5 is even remotely due, not even a vague ball-park figure. Are we talking days? Weeks? Months? Surely someone from within should be able to look at their workload, the goals for the patch and give an estimate based on that data. Like, how is there enough time to have these 'dev chat/videos' but not enough time to write a paragraph or two regarding upcoming things?

21 minutes ago, Infinite Aerospace said:

Like, how is there enough time to have these 'dev chat/videos' but not enough time to write a paragraph or two regarding upcoming things?

Even the dev chat videos were delayed after being shot, so they don't even have time to do those (apparently).  Unfortunately, if it walks, looks, and talks like a duck...