KSP2 EA Grand Discussion Thread.

James Kerman

1 hour ago, PDCWolf said:

Funny you'd want that discussion when the evidence you don't is right there. You tell them the franchise is doing great (which it is, listed as one of the 5 million + copies seller), you just don't tell them how the individual games in that franchise are.

There is no evidence that on the long term KSP2 won't sell. KSP2's launch and its continued development was mentioned in the quarterly report. If it's viability to become a success is questionable and it either is or is going to be a money pit, you do not withhold that from your investors. 

9 hours ago, LoSBoL said:

Private Division was created as an label to house Indie type games as an enhanced market for Take2

I think of it as, T2 didn't just buy the KSP IP, they bought the business model as well. From a publisher's perspective, KSP1 was lightning in a bottle, a small team with a small budget punching way above their weight. Makes sense they'd try to approach the sequel the same way.

From one of the files in the quarterly report

Our labels will also continue to provide new content and experiences that drive engagement and recurrent consumer spending across many of our offerings, including Grand Theft Auto Online, Red Dead Online, WWE 2K, LEGO 2K Drive, PGA TOUR 2K, Kerbal Space Program 2, and Zynga’s mobile portfolio.  

33 minutes ago, LoSBoL said:

There is no evidence that on the long term KSP2 won't sell.

There is no evidence of the opposite either.

34 minutes ago, LoSBoL said:

you do not withhold that from your investors. 

You don't need to discriminate every little money flow unless specifically asked for it. So long as the numbers at scale are correctly represented, there's no issue in not specifically mentioning KSP2s status.

11 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

Our labels will also continue to provide new content and experiences that drive engagement and recurrent consumer spending across many of our offerings, including Grand Theft Auto Online, Red Dead Online, WWE 2K, LEGO 2K Drive, PGA TOUR 2K, Kerbal Space Program 2, and Zynga’s mobile portfolio.  

Doesn't it worry you to see KSP2 listed under "labels that drive recurrent consumer spending" and right next to every single one of their MTX scam centers? And no, I'm not being alarmist, just saying you chose a really unfortunate bit to quote.

Yes, the KSP2 name shows up, it doesn't show up as top earner or even as a particularly good earner, only for corporate speak and to remind investors that it is a thing.

46 minutes ago, cocoscacao said:

Because all systems must remain functional under time warp. For every vessel. None of them is in ksp 1, even for focused one. 

Will definitely check it out when it's done!

17 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

By the way, the same report contains data on the share of revenue from different markets. As far as I remember, PC games give only 10% of revenue.

13 minutes ago, PDCWolf said:

You don't need to discriminate every little money flow unless specifically asked for it.

Now it's little? Let me remind you of your own words;

3 hours ago, PDCWolf said:

Look at the bigger project from the money T2 really had to put in: They financed two studios to make this game, including the rehiring process on the second.

So what is it?

13 minutes ago, PDCWolf said:

There is no evidence of the opposite either.

I'f they get it right, it will sell for a decade. They bought the franchise for continued sales, like KSP1 sold before it. 

Edited by LoSBoL

10 minutes ago, LoSBoL said:

I'f they get it right, it will sell for a decade. They bought the franchise for continued sales, like KSP1 sold before it. 

I suspect that they are still earning quite a lot on KSP1, much more than on KSP2.

1 minute ago, Alexoff said:

I suspect that they are still earning quite a lot on KSP1, much more than on KSP2.

You're probably right, it went for a second life after Take2 bought the franchise and gave it what players wanted and needed, stuff like steam cloud save, steam workshop and QOL features which were needed in the base game to attract players have had an impact. 

If you look into the timing when they bought it, and for how much, it can be considered a cash machine which probably still continues due to the bad state of KSP2 and people opting for the 1st one instead.

8 minutes ago, LoSBoL said:

Now it's little? Let me remind you of your own words;

At least these replies make awfully clear you didn't even bother reading the reports. I'll give you a free clarification: For an indie game, T2 did what no other publisher would've bother doing: Investing in two different studios, including the hiring process for the second, give them 3 deadlines, and an EA launch when those were missed. Comparatively, that's almost infinity more than what any other publisher would've done for any game. This points to them really thinking KSP2 is or has the potential to be a golden egg goose.

However, you also have to understand that, for the literal biggest publisher in gaming, who also owns the 3rd or 4th biggest publisher in mobile, that's peanuts, and whether KSP2 thrives or not, it's still less than 1% of their total earnings, it literally fits inside margin of error.

7 minutes ago, PDCWolf said:

At least these replies make awfully clear you didn't even bother reading the reports.

There goes your underbelly again. Nope, wrong.

8 minutes ago, PDCWolf said:

For an indie game, T2 did what no other publisher would've bother doing: Investing in two different studios, including the hiring process for the second, give them 3 deadlines, and an EA launch when those were missed. Comparatively, that's almost infinity more than what any other publisher would've done for any game. This points to them really thinking KSP2 is or has the potential to be a golden egg goose.

And they did so because they indeed do what is necessary to get that continued revenue instead of pulling out, they know what lies on the horizon. That's been my whole point and has already been mentioned by me quite a few times.

9 minutes ago, PDCWolf said:

However, you also have to understand that, for the literal biggest publisher in gaming, who also owns the 3rd or 4th biggest publisher in mobile, that's peanuts, and whether KSP2 thrives or not, it's still less than 1% of their total earnings, it literally fits inside margin of error.

Private Division, Take2's Indie label is the publisher, not Take2 itself. And yes, peanuts for them, why do you think I wouldn't understand that? If Private Divisions KSP2 wouldnt be a viable best seller, they wouldn't bother.

52 minutes ago, LoSBoL said:

You're probably right, it went for a second life after Take2 bought the franchise and gave it what players wanted and needed, stuff like steam cloud save, steam workshop and QOL features which were needed in the base game to attract players have had an impact.

Has KSP1 ever had a life stop? After 2015, the game has been roughly consistently popular. Only now online has fallen.

4 hours ago, PicoSpace said:

Given most of my questions didn't get answered, I concur. I'm really trying to be positive about this game (YouTube and all that Jazz) but the play issues and lack of any updates and slow roll out make that hard (without sounding like a corporate mouthpeice and I wouldn't do that to my audience). 

I just want to know some more about science mode, and career progression. They're not really doing a very good job of generating interest in upcoming updates if I'm honest. I don't understand though *why* there's a complete unwillingness to go into some details? Unless of course nothing about science and progression is ready...

29 minutes ago, Alexoff said:

Has KSP1 ever had a life stop? After 2015, the game has been roughly consistently popular. Only now online has fallen.

Steam reviews give a good indication of sales, take a look at the all time steam charts, just about at the release of the breaking ground dlc boosted KSP sales immensely.

1 hour ago, LoSBoL said:

There goes your underbelly again. Nope, wrong.

And they did so because they indeed do what is necessary to get that continued revenue instead of pulling out, they know what lies on the horizon. That's been my whole point and has already been mentioned by me quite a few times.

Private Division, Take2's Indie label is the publisher, not Take2 itself. And yes, peanuts for them, why do you think I wouldn't understand that? If Private Divisions KSP2 wouldnt be a viable best seller, they wouldn't bother.

Well, if you did read the reports, then you'd find out:

1. Nothing indicates KSP2 is a good earner.
  2. Save for PD's own 2 slides, it's almost not named anywhere else.
  3. The only attribution to the franchise is thanks to KSP1.
  4. No KSP2 related numbers.

So, as I was saying, you don't mention that stuff to investors, unless they specifically ask. Specially when you waste a comparatively big amount of money versus what went into the original, to get margin-of-error level returns that still don't surpass game 1. Only if and when KSP2 outsells 1, or has a huge sale boost, or a big update coming, or breaks even the investment, maybe they'll mention it.

10 minutes ago, PDCWolf said:

Well, if you did read the reports, then you'd find out:

1. Nothing indicates KSP2 is a good earner.
  2. Save for PD's own 2 slides, it's almost not named anywhere else.
  3. The only attribution to the franchise is thanks to KSP1.
  4. No KSP2 related numbers.

So, as I was saying, you don't mention that stuff to investors, unless they specifically ask. Specially when you waste a comparatively big amount of money versus what went into the original, to get margin-of-error level returns that still don't surpass game 1. Only if and when KSP2 outsells 1, or has a huge sale boost, or a big update coming, or breaks even the investment, maybe they'll mention it.

Nothing needs to indicate KSP2 is a good earner at this point in time, it doesn't need to be a good earner in this point in time, it's an earner in the long haul. There also is no waste if it's an investment to get it where it needs to be, or needs to be going.Like I said before, it's would be reported of it was a waste aka; we botched and ditched it. The investment reports does exactly what it needs to do, create expectancies, if KSP2 wouldn't be viable, that would be mentioned. 

And it ain't in it, so no worries there, at all from T2.

51 minutes ago, LoSBoL said:

Steam reviews give a good indication of sales, take a look at the all time steam charts, just about at the release of the breaking ground dlc boosted KSP sales immensely.

Even in the most boring times, KSP1 had a hundred reviews a day. It seems to me that the abundance of reviews in the incentive is more likely due to the fact that the DLC prompted many to write a review, many indicate that they had already played many hours while writing the review. There was no big surge of online back then.

12 hours ago, Infinite Aerospace said:

I just want to know some more about science mode, and career progression. They're not really doing a very good job of generating interest in upcoming updates if I'm honest. I don't understand though *why* there's a complete unwillingness to go into some details? Unless of course nothing about science and progression is ready...

They burned themselves badly by overhyping the initial release. I think it’s only natural that their reaction is not to do it again, even if it means saying nothing.

The way things stand now, if they did say anything about future milestones, it would just get drowned in jeering and heckling. That’s not a good PR strategy.

39 minutes ago, Periple said:

even if it means saying nothing.

They're (hopefully) getting close to it now. I see no harm in letting at least some... ehr... "vague details" about it. We have (?) more knowledge about colonies than science at this point. 

11 hours ago, Superfluous J said:

It's been a while since they got totally burned by releasing a detail slightly too early.

So hopefully we'll get some information on Science soon.

And then some part of it will be different in the game and all the "you PROMISED" posts will start again.

We live in a world where being responsible with communication is sadly an impossibility, or so it would seem.

2 hours ago, PDCWolf said:

We live in a world where being responsible with communication is sadly an impossibility, or so it would seem.

Naw all you need is 100% transparency, 100% accuracy, and 100% ability to see the future.

Also it helps if you've got good grammar.

On the subject of EA, if you would like, please share your votes on where we will be in 6 months on the 1 year anniversary of launch below. 

it’s a Reddit poll, so not really super scientific but I’m trying to do my due diligence and at least try and get a broader spectrum of responses than just the Reddit. Thanks for considering!

The poll