Bug Status [8/11]

• KSP Team

image.png

Hi all! Welcome back to another K.E.R.B (Kerbal End-users Report Bugs) check-in! 

Major progress has been made on many of the community's top issues, including a two big ones: orbital decay and AMD Graphics Glitches. We'll be soon sharing an interview Nate had with David Tregoning who was the go-to guy on investigating the Orbital Decay bug. That interview also dives deep into the Wobbly Rockets issue and discusses some potential short-term and long-term solutions. Keep an eye out on our socials for that one!

We're excited to share that many of these fixes and more will be included in Patch v0.1.4 which is due out August 22nd.

As always, thank you again for your contributions to the bug reports subforum! The quality of bug reports have gone up significantly and being able to quickly reproduce issues gives our team more time to actually implement fixes, we truly appreciate it!

Current Top Issues: 

# Bug Status
1 Wobbly Rockets Investigating short-term and long-term solutions
2 Orbital Decay Some instances resolved [See Nestor's Note Below]
3 Undock/Decouple/Physicsless Parts causing Crafts to Fall Apart Some instances resolved [See Nestor's Note Below]
4 Graphic Glitches on AMD Hardware Fix implemented and verified
5 Incorrect Maneuver on Inclination Change Fix implemented and verified
6 Cannot Change Craft/Vessel Name in Tracking Station- Fix implemented and verified
7 Camera Resets Position Map View Two issues, one fixed and verified 
8 Velocity of Target Not Displayed as Relative to Target Trying to reproduce, pushed to future patch
9 Cannot Change Symmetry While Holding Strut Fix implemented and verified
10 Engine Sound Effects Not Playing Fix implemented and verified
11 Active Vessel Pulls Craft Close when in Timewarp Fix implemented and verified
12 Wobbly navball pro/retrograde markers at low relative velocities Pushed to future patch
13 Undocking on pause causes vehicle to disintegrate Pushed to future patch
14 AIRBRAKES Deploying on Roll Fix implemented and verified
15 EC is not consumed or is produced infinitely Fix implemented and verified
16 Parts Manager Scroll Wheel Fix implemented and verified
17 Prograde/Retrograde buttons not clickable Fix implemented and verified
18 Center of Mass/Thrust/Pressure Vectors sitting on VAB Floo Fix implemented and verified
19 Control Surface Oscillation in Atmosphere Investigating short-term and long-term solutions
20 Plane Wings Invert on Copy Paste Fix implemented and verified

Note: this report is not fully representative of the work our team is focused on. This is just to provide insight into our progress on the most concerning issues to our community. Additionally, the lack of a status update does not imply a lack of importance or general progress - we just do not have anything to share at this time.

Thank you!

Some additional context on some of these:

• Orbital Decay. The team has identified one source contributing to the orbital drift and fixed it. Unfortunately that has not fixed drift in all situations. The team continues to investigate other sources for orbital drift.
  • Undock/Decouple/Physicsless Parts causing Crafts to Fall Apart. As we have mentioned before, these type of issues have more than one source causing them. We keep working on fixing them one by one. Let us know if you see this still happening and in which conditions.

Wow, that's a lot of bugs nailed down! Still a few big ones in there, but dang this is a lot of progress on the bug front! Well done! Looking forward to 8/22!

47 minutes ago, nestor said:

Some additional context on some of these:

• Orbital Decay. The team has identified one source contributing to the orbital drift and fixed it. Unfortunately that has not fixed drift in all situations. The team continues to investigate other sources for orbital drift.
  • Undock/Decouple/Physicsless Parts causing Crafts to Fall Apart. As we have mentioned before, these type of issues have more than one source causing them. We keep working on fixing them one by one. Let us know if you see this still happening and in which conditions.

Thanks for the extra context on these. This is helpful and appreciated.

Edited by schlosrat

• Community Manager
41 minutes ago, Kavaeric said:

Looking good, that's a lot of bugs taken on. I assume that "short-term" means the idea of autostrut is now being reconsidered, or is another solution being pursued?

Looking forward to the 22nd!

Don't have much concrete info to share right now but, there's a really great discussion about this in David's interview, you can look forward to that.

A hefty list of bug fixes there. Since I still own it, I will redownload KSP2 and give it another take. If the rate of orbital decay and docking issues is much lower I’ll update my steam review. Thanks for keeping us updated. 

Love it.

As the new owner of an AMD GPU, finding out exactly my series of cards is one of the problem ones was disheartening, glad to know it's being fixed. It's also very good to see that the public bug tracking does have more positives than originally intended, though it seems obvious now (hindsight is 20/20) that by publicly displaying good quality reports, people would actually learn how to do better and better reports.

Edited by PDCWolf

• Community Manager
17 minutes ago, PDCWolf said:

As the new owner of an AMD GPU, finding out exactly my series of cards is one of the problem ones was disheartening, glad to know it's being fixed. 

Glad to hear it PDCWolf.

Honestly, I think there's enough of a story to tell around this particular issue that it could warrant a dev blog from @Darrin H and other members of QA.

I agree with the person above asking why editing a maneuver node is like the one thing you can’t  do while paused/at timewarp 0x

Also, in general, good news seeing things getting moved to “Fix implemented and verified”.

Edited by Sea_Kerman

Looking forward to  0.1.4 in 10 days time! I have lots of Faith in this great game and the dev, who dedicated lots of time and energy to fix the game! Lots of Potentials! THanks for the updates and follow up! 

Edited by kennyc222

Please ensure some regression tests are done before the patch is out, it haunted previous updates badly. Nobody wants an improved experience in many areas, ruined by something that was already good before but isn't all of a sudden.

Previous cases, just for the sake of it: .1.2 had UI persistent on UI off, annoying for screenshots but tolerable. .1.3 had the infamous drag bug (pretty much gamebreaking), unclickable SAS buttons (to be fixed soon), and few other things.

Even simple playtesting should reveal most of the issues if they decide to pop out.

Edited by The Aziz

10 hours ago, Sea_Kerman said:

I agree with the person above asking why editing a maneuver node is like the one thing you can’t  do while paused/at timewarp 0x

@Shinotama / @Sea_Kerman, The stock game may prevent you from editing maneuver nodes while paused, but - just so you know, this is not the case with mods. If this particular aspect is annoying you then please try Maneuver Node Controller. It's been able to create and modify nodes while the game is paused since it was first released. This means there's no in-game functional reason for not being able to create or edit nodes while paused other than the stock UI is not letting you do so. If the UI would let you click the node and open the widget, then fiddling with the node widget would make immediately evident changes to the resulting trajectory patch just as fiddling with the node in MNC does. The parts of the game that update the trajectory patches if/when a node has changed are still running while paused!

I'm not sure if this is a bug, per se. It may be more of a UI design aspect. I suppose this comes down to the question: Is the game working as intended when it prevents you from editing a node while paused? That would be a good question for the devs, and the answer might speak to when or if you'll ever see the stock game catch up with what mods have been doing in-game now for months. In either case, bug or silly UI limitation, I agree it's annoying and there are certainly good use cases for being able to do these things. If this is working as intended, then I'd want to ask the devs why they think this limitation makes the game better. I would happily join you in arguing that it certainly doesn't.

Edited by schlosrat