Timing for heat, buoyancy, new terrain features and Science milestone

Vl3d

Timing for heat, buoyancy, new terrain features and Science milestone  

43 members have voted

1. 1. How long until the basic buoyancy and heat systems are added?

• Heat: 2 months
    • Heat: 4 months
    • Heat: 6 months
    • Buoyancy: 2 months
    • Buoyancy: 4 months
    • Buoyancy: 6 months
  2. 2. How long until the Science Milestone features are added?

• 4 months
    • 6 months
    • 8 months
  3. 3. How long until the new CBT-based terrain is added?

• 6 months
    • 12 months
    • 24 months

We can't vote for multiple answers to the first question.

For the timing, I think we will have science by December and heat will come with it.

For buoyancy it's not a thing that I see high on the priority list, so it will likely be in more than 6 months, I could see this in even more than a year.

For CBT, it's high on the priority list but it's a complex system and overhauling it will take a lot of time, I hope it will be out before Interstellar.

We know science is supposed to include the first public iteration of heat through re-entry stuff, and my bet on all that remains firmly on October/November, sadly I can't vote for science anywhere faster than December from your options (lol, the irony). No idea about buoyancy so the options being badly presented is not an issue for me.

CBT is definitely a long-er-est-est term goal.

6 minutes ago, Infinite Aerospace said:

I think if it takes four months from now to implement science, that's a spectacular fail. Sorry but it just is.

Would a rushed game be preferable?

I hate to say it but the old technical manager (or whatever) set everyone's expectations too high and they need tampering now if ever.

I’m not sure they’ll ever switch to CBT-based terrain. It’s a big change and their current system is good enough (or can be made good enough). It was a cool dev blog but that’s all it was, a new programmer kicking around an idea. If it was me I would definitely kick that way to the bottom of the priority list.

I’m more optimistic about the rest though, I think we’ll see science and heating pretty soon. Haven’t thought about buoyancy.

The forum turns into one big opinion poll. I wish the developers voted in it, since our predictions are not more accurate than fortune-telling on coffee grounds

3 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

I hate to say it but the old technical manager (or whatever) set everyone's expectations too high and they need tampering now if ever.

And who is the technical director now? As far as I remember, the previous one was fired, but who came to this vacancy?

P.S. - Although I am here called one of the main haters, it turned out that my predictions are more optimistic than most members of the forum :joy:

Edited by Alexoff

3 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

Would a rushed game be preferable?

Rushed? The game was already significantly delayed to begin with and what was released what essentially an alpha, if science was released four months from now, that would be almost eleven months after launch for the first planned update.

I don't wanna sound funny here but in what definition of 'rushed' would that qualify? Version 0.2.x essentially.

5 hours ago, Periple said:

I’m not sure they’ll ever switch to CBT-based terrain

5 hours ago, Periple said:

If it was me I would definitely kick that way to the bottom of the priority list

Wouldn't this be like... progressively harder as the time goes by?

Anyway, I'm clueless regarding the tradeoffs here, and they've been silent about it, so... 

I think we may see a bare bones and buggy science update around christmas, but expect it will probably be around the release anniversary. Buoyancy I don't see many people talking about, so probably later. The new terrain looks like it may be a lot of work to implement, I think we are talking years for that, if ever.

4 hours ago, cocoscacao said:

Wouldn't this be like... progressively harder as the time goes by?

Anyway, I'm clueless regarding the tradeoffs here, and they've been silent about it, so... 

It probably would. At the very least I expect it would break any planet mods.

I’m sure that a complete rewrite of the terrain engine would have benefits in the long run. I also expect it would initially introduce bugs and bottlenecks and a quite a bit of churn. I’m not sure the project can afford that!

11 hours ago, TLTay said:

All of your options are far too optimistic. Game will be completed some time between the apocalypse and never.

It depends on the meaning of the word "completed". KSP1 was just announced at some point 1.0, the big bosses of T2 at some point will say - release what you have, quickly fix the main bugs and start doing another project.

4 months for heat

Never for buoyancy a(at least not a timescale you had on option - I think we're looking at 12-18 months really for that, reasonably given their track record

6 months for science, and probably 2 years or even longer for CBT.

Edited by Geredis

My prediction here. Again, my own pointless assumptions, could be way too optimistic or the other way around.

Thermal effects: This is likely the closest upcoming feature. Based what's shown in the development insight video, I'd say that they already had the effects made in Unity by the end of July. However, it's also highly likely that the effects weren't properly implemented by the recording of the video. So, my guess is October if optimistic and late November if the progress is slow.

Science: It is the first milestone, and by the time of its implementation we'll likely reach feature parity with KSP1 or better. My assumption was around October back in March, but now it seems like a safe bet that they will make it public between Halloween and Christmas. My evidence is the science code found in the game files by the data miners, but it does not represent all about science that's been worked upon, so the exact rate of progress is unknown.

Bro the game is dead. There are 5 milestones on the roadmap and we haven't reached one of them, plus the game doesn't even work. Who cares if one features is implemented in 6 months? It will still suck.  It will be at least 5 years before the game becomes a regular game, which is pathetic for "early access" that has been in development for years.

What the hell are the devs even doing? At this point I am convinced they are working from home and slandering company funds by playing video games all day (not ksp2 of course). Honestly, I could program the game myself in that time. One of the people reading this will get cancer and die before the game is done. Less than 100 concurrent players today.

It's dead. They killed it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.