FOR SCIENCE! arrives December 19th

Intercept Games

21 minutes ago, MechBFP said:

They were planning on messing it up, but since you asked nicely now they won’t. 

Was it in the interview with Shadowzone that Nate Simpson mentioned "we don't want to be working through the holidays so we plan on releasing the game earlier than that' which I ASSUME would include a week for virtually guaranteed needed hot patching.

The fact that only now a release date is announced and that it's so close to the holiday weekend suggests that there were some hickups revealed with internal testing. It might even explain why there were less sneak peaks than we would have liked to see, but that could also be part of a "let's not overdose on the hype this time" strategy.

So the 19th probably wasn't the date they wanted. But it's still in December, and it's even before Christmas. And we'll just have to hope that there are no bugs that require immediate fixing because that'll likely wait until the new year.

1 hour ago, Kerbart said:

"we don't want to be working through the holidays so we plan on releasing the game earlier than that'

I think (don't quote me on this) it was Matt Lowne but who cares at this point? We're getting the update!

2 hours ago, Kerbart said:

The fact that only now a release date is announced and that it's so close to the holiday weekend suggests that there were some hickups revealed with internal testing. It might even explain why there were less sneak peaks than we would have liked to see, but that could also be part of a "let's not overdose on the hype this time" strategy.

I'm hopeful that they showed less than there actually is in the update. Hopefully, they learned their mistakes of overpromising, and anything else extra we get that wasn't announced are like extra little surprises even if they are really small. Overall, I'm very hyped for this update!

3 hours ago, Kerbart said:

And we'll just have to hope that there are no bugs that require immediate fixing because that'll likely wait until the new year.

Dakota mentioned on Discord (and someone posted the screenshot in another thread here on the forums) that they have a contingency in the event a hot-fix is needed or the game is broken upon release.  What the contingency is would be anyone's guess.  But they've got one.  Reminds me of something Rochelle says in Left For Dead 2:  Well, it's a plan.  I don't know if it's a good plan, but it is a plan.

Yeah, it`s time to activate my Kerbals braincells since the know now how to brute-force all kinds of stuff to space....:D

FOR SCIENCE ! ! !

sorry i had to

Edited by Mikki
doubled format

Well there goes my Christmas holidays, my poor kids won't see me!

That aside, this is great news but I'm a little underwhelmed. Mainly as I expected science to partially unlock via exploration and doing things or at least receive a large boost to research via exploration/things

e.g.

"Tim C Kerman had a dream that a Munstone contains alloys that could stop our larger prototype rockets from exploding after 15 seconds and giving us 30 seconds before unscheduled disassembly. We just think he ate some old mushrooms but we promised to try it for the funsies anyway, bring back a Munstone to accelerate this technology"

The idea being it was something optional and fun that would be a slight challenge to do without a well balanced prior research.

You could do this with many things like a surface sample, atmospheric sample, mining specifc resources etc. Acceleration could be tweaked to be even 100% of the science cost to give people a challenge to open up the tech tree just by exploring.

Anyway, great work team, once these wobbly rockets are gone I'll be back playing.

Edited by Rhadegund

• 2 weeks later...

Please let there be the VFX explosions as seen in the dev videos. When a craft exploded, fire would spew out of the fuel tanks kind of like the mod Destruction Effects. You can see them at 5 minutes and 40 seconds to 5 minutes and 56 seconds here:

And at I don’t care if it’s in this update or the next, just let there be those really cool explosions, the current ones are good, but they don’t last that long.

16 hours ago, rebel-1 said:

Are we betting that the patch will be rescheduled?

I'm betting against any significant reschedule for sure. Outside of "We're having troubles with holiday steam and need a few hours", rescheduling this is basically "Push it into 2024" which, considering the chase to squeeze this out at the end of the year, I believe is simply not an acceptable option to the team. Whether it be internal or external pressures, it seems they don't want the narrative to be "KSP2 saw no roadmap updates at all in its entire first year of early access".

Besides, per the claims of how they're working heavily in parallel on all these roadmap updates, they should have had the better part of a year to get this done :P