KSP2 Release Notes - Update v0.2.1.0

2 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

As far as I can tell, it's normal behaviour for the parachutes to not open if you're travelling too fast.

You're not understanding what the problem is. There's an issue where the chutes on a craft will not open that has nothing to do with whether it is safe or not.  Save/Reload doesn't work either.  The only fix is to replace the chute part in the VAB because it's the craft that is affected and the problem is saved to the craft file so once it occurs, that particular craft is bugged. The problem is real whether you've experienced it or not.

If I am not mistaken, this thread may need to calm down a tiny bit. If anyone would like, someone can revive this age old thread from beyond the archives of the KSP 1 forums.  I'm no moderator or anything like that but I might be able to tell when things are starting to get a teensy bit tense. :)

Edited by NexusHelium

Did this update break Hammer solid fuel engines for anyone else? I have a pod on a Hammer, I've adjusted the thrust limiter to where the engineer report says TWR of 1.6, and it's just sitting on the launch pad when ignited.

30 minutes ago, ArmchairGravy said:

Did this update break Hammer solid fuel engines for anyone else? I have a pod on a Hammer, I've adjusted the thrust limiter to where the engineer report says TWR of 1.6, and it's just sitting on the launch pad when ignited.

Is the engine bell occluded by anything?  Does this happen with any other engines?  Pic of the craft?

Its not his construction or descent profile. I and a lot of other players get the same thing. For me, it seemed to disappear when I staged the parachutes within 2000m of their opening altitude, but the bug still pops up from time to time. I would have to agree that it makes the game unplayable when it does pop up because it causes a mission failure even though you did everything correctly. Yes, the game did not CTD or anything, but the frustration level is in excess of what is reasonably considered fun. Terminology may differ, but we are all mature people here, we can understand that one person might not be going by the dictionary definition, and is merely expressing their personal experience...and they, in-fact, stopped playing the game due to the bugs. No matter what you call it, when bugs make people rage-quit, its not a good thing.

[snip]

I don't know if you saw what I posted earlier, but when the parachute bug happens (and yes, it IS as bug and it DOES happen so just ignore anyone who says it's you) then that specific part on that craft is bugged and it needs to be fixed in the VAB. Happens a lot to me, usually when the part was radially placed and possibly in symmetry.  Unfortunately, that won't help if it's already in flight and en route to landing.

Edited by Vanamonde

Some people are having trouble with parachutes. Some people aren't. The ones who are not, please stop telling the ones who are that they aren't. 

Since we've asked this once already, that argument has now been removed from this thread. If it persists we will have to start issuing warnings. 

14 hours ago, Scarecrow71 said:

Is the engine bell occluded by anything?  Does this happen with any other engines?  Pic of the craft?

I've not noticed it on other engines, but I'm not deep into the tree on this save yet. 

Spoiler

3ZGvRr5.png

Spoiler

aJ4qafs.png

8 hours ago, ArmchairGravy said:

I've not noticed it on other engines, but I'm not deep into the tree on this save yet. 

Hide contents

3ZGvRr5.png

Hide contents

aJ4qafs.png

On the right side of the staging display there is a little arrow you can press to show the current TWR in flight. Can you expand that and confirm what the TWR is?

On 2/1/2024 at 2:53 AM, Starwaster said:

You're not understanding what the problem is. There's an issue where the chutes on a craft will not open that has nothing to do with whether it is safe or not.

One of the things I never understood (nor tested) is how they are supposed to behave. Minimum altitude vs pressure. Which one wins? Or both must be satisfied?

13 hours ago, ArmchairGravy said:

Hide contents

3ZGvRr5.png

Hide contents

aJ4qafs.png

Figured it out! Yay bug fixing progress!

It appears that when you throttle limit SRBs the in flight thrust gets double throttled.

Per specs the Hammer should create 197.9 kN of thrust at 1atm. If you launch from the launchpad at 100% thrust, this is reported at 198.44 (close enough since you're a few meters above sea level on the pad). If you launch at 49% thrust limiter (as you have) you'd expect 99.22 kN of thrust in flight. However it looks like that 49% is being applied twice so instead of 198.44 * .49 = 99.22 it is 198.44 * .49 * .49 = 47.645 kN. Reported in flight thrust for me shows as 47.65kN. That means that instead of the expected (and reported in VAB) TWR of 1.65 you end up with a real TWR of only ~.81 which is why you have to burn a bunch of the fuel before it finally takes off.

Clydesdale is 2948.9 kN of thrust at 100%. If I launch it at 75% thrust I should get ~2211 if it's accurate, but with the double throttle I'm expecting ~1658. If I go at 25% throttle I should get ~737 but actually expect to get 184 with the doubling. I typed that up for the Clydesdale without testing to show that it works. Testing now....and verified I get the double throttled numbers.

This does *not* appear to affect throttleable engines (at least the few I tried, didn't do an exhaustive test). If you set those at 50% in the VAB and then launch it has the slider at 50% in flight and the correct 50% thrust is shown.  It also doesn't appear to affect sepratrons or the launch escape motor.

I'll write up a bug report now.

Edit: I see you alreadh had the bug report, will add this info to it.

Edited by hatterson

On 2/2/2024 at 9:55 AM, cocoscacao said:

One of the things I never understood (nor tested) is how they are supposed to behave. Minimum altitude vs pressure. Which one wins? Or both must be satisfied?

The settings are

Min Pressure = pre-deployment. The chutes are reefed. (that is, they are not fully inflated)

Deploy Altitude = This is the altitude at which the chutes go from reefed to full deployment.

The pressure setting is at 0.01 kPa by default. This is not a very safe setting. Set it at 0.5 or higher. That will redeploy at around 4400 meters.

On 1/30/2024 at 10:13 PM, ShadowZone said:

Nice, about 6 weeks after "For Science" came out, we have the first patch quite a few issues I encountered myself are (nominally) fixed. Haven't been able to launch the game yet, but that will change soon ;)

As per usual, here's the bugfix stats:

Version Total items Community % of total
0.1.1 281 42 15%
0.1.2 173 36 21%
0.1.3 165 17 10%
0.1.4 81 9 11%
0.1.5 86 11 13%
0.2.0 156 0 0%
0.2.1 68 14 21%

While the patch with the least number of changes, we have to consider that the Christmas holidays and New Year's was in between. Also a lot of issues that were found and fixed thanks to the community.

Some more numbers:
Including the initial 0.1.0 release, we had 8 releases since February 24th 2023. On average, that's almost 7 weeks between releases.
Soooooo, mid March for 0.2.2? ;)

It would be nice to see a 'percentage of total votes' column (i.e if there are 3 bugs, bug A with 10 votes, and bugs B and C with 5, fixing bug A would be 50% of the votes). I think that better shows how the dev team is tackling the most pertinent issues players are highlighting.

I might be a little late, but happy to see the game continuing to get better! Reentry plasma is sure much better, but I still hope for more motion-ish ones and some particle effects intergrated.