KSP2 Release Notes - Update v0.2.1.0

• KSP Team

KSP2 Update v0.2.1.0 Release Notes

:1437623226_rocket_1f680(3): <-- This rocket denotes an issue or change that community members directly helped by sharing or suggesting it to our dev team. Thanks to all of you who send in bug reports and suggestions!

Bug Fixes 

Construction

• Fixed: Game crashes when moving an assembly in the VAB with a nose cone as the anchor part and any non-single symmetry mode
  • Fixed: Stack Separators placed below a vessel root part do not separate correctly causing destruction of the vessel
  • Fixed: Clicking on the Orthographic Cube while holding a part or vessel deletes it while in the VAB
  • Fixed: An exception is thrown when changing the Launch Assembly in the VAB, affecting the functionality of the Delta-V tools
  • Fixed: Loading a vessel in VAB shows magenta cubes for a few seconds

Environments

• :1437623226_rocket_1f680(3): Fixed: Black dots show on Jool when observing the planet from the surface [1]
  • :1437623226_rocket_1f680(3): Fixed: Galaxy skybox does not rotate in some situations [1]
  • Fixed: Stars are too dim when orbiting some celestial bodies
  • Fixed: Lighting on vessels orbiting Kerbol at a semi-major axis of >=23,000,000,000 flickers

EVA

• :1437623226_rocket_1f680(3): Fixed: Running a surface survey when planting a flag results in the Kerbal becoming uncontrollable [1]
  • Fixed: Running a Crew Observation from the PAM on an EVA Kerbal does not show any animation
  • Added new Kerbal Variety assets from the Exploration release to KSC Kerbals
  • Fixed: Kerbal Rocket Pin haircut does not receive correct hair colors

Flight & Map

• :1437623226_rocket_1f680(3): Fixed: Orbital drift compensation did not take axial tilt into account consistently, leading to additional drift near Celestial Bodies with axial tilt [1]
  • :1437623226_rocket_1f680(3): Fixed: Orbital drift compensation decreases in quality over time [1]
  • :1437623226_rocket_1f680(3): Fixed: Decouplers require two clicks to stage [1]
  • :1437623226_rocket_1f680(3): Fixed: LT-5 "Bandioot" landing legs collapse to minimum length when any weight is applied [1]
  • :1437623226_rocket_1f680(3): Fixed: Vessel and KSC icons on the map are too large, particularly when closer to the camera [1]
  • :1437623226_rocket_1f680(3): Fixed: Switching to Mission Control when paused in flight hangs the game [1]
  • Fixed: Shielded docking ports cannot be undocked after a reload
  • Fixed: Shielded docking ports can dock when closed
  • Fixed: Vessel collision with water often only destroys the first part
  • Fixed: Heat shield automated fairings cause aerodynamic occlusion to parts near them
  • Fixed: The vessel becomes active and the scene is switched automatically to flight view of the vessel.
  • Fixed: Jet engines cannot be deactivated until throttled down to zero [1]
  • Fixed: Surface teleport tool doesn't work in non-English languages
  • Fixed: Surface teleport tool shows incorrect maximum altitude values for some celestial bodies
  • Added new color theme to both A and B Intersect nodes on the Map
  • Adjusted colors and iconography associated with Intersect Nodes on the Map
  • Fixed: Flight Report does not appear when crashing a vessel if the previously launched vessel had been recovered
  • Added a delay before showing the Flight Report after a vessel crashes
  • Fixed: The velocity readout in the Flight HUD only shows 4 significant figures

FX and Audio

• Adjusted reentry VFX trigger points to more closely correlate with start of reentry heating
  • Fixed: Heat shields do not show heat glow during reentry
  • Fixed: Procedural wings do not show heat glow during reentry

Localization

• Fixed: Missing localization of some terms in the Mission control screen
  • Fixed: Missing spaces in some languages in several sections of the Part Info window in the VAB
  • Fixed: Incorrect localization for Research Reports collected around Dres
  • Fixed: Incorrect localization for Research Reports collected around Jool

Menus and Settings

• Fixed: Using the Teleport tool with the maximum AP selected teleports the vessel slightly outside the target Celestial Body
  • Fixed: Cheats menu can become locked into a box on the screen and cannot be moved outside its boundaries
  • Fixed: Time Warp controls are still available when exiting to the Main Menu from within a gameplay session
  • Fixed: Part poses for some main menu animations are incorrect

Missions and Tutorials

• :1437623226_rocket_1f680(3): Fixed: numerous errors in mission text [1]
  • :1437623226_rocket_1f680(3): Fixed: Mission debrief text is repeated in "Minmus Monument" mission [1]
  • Added a waypoint to guide the player as part of the "Tertiary Dibs: Platinum" mission.
  • Fixed: An orange arrow/marker persists on the map during the tutorial "Establishing an Orbit"

Optimization

• Fixed: Several memory leaks when launching or loading vessels

Parts and Stock Vessels

• Reduced atmospheric shock heating in the upper 45% of most atmospheres significantly
  • Increased heat transport away from parts in the top 20% of most atmospheres
  • Increased stack decoupler and separator thermal masses by up to 3x
  • Increased unshielded docking port thermal masses by 1.5x, increased temperature tolerance to 800K
  • Increased thermal mass of light procedural wings, stabilizers and control surfaces by 1.5x
  • Increased thermal mass of medium procedural wings, stabilizers and control surfaces by 1.75x, increased temperature tolerance to 1350K
  • Increased thermal mass of spaceplane procedural wings, stabilizers and control surfaces by 1.2x
  • :1437623226_rocket_1f680(3): Fixed: Surface attached lights don't function when first launching a vessel [1]
  • Fixed: Solar panels occlusion is not calculated correctly near and past Jool
  • Improved: RSCM-01 "Sample Grabber" arm incorrectly deploys in many situations
  • Fixed: Crater Crusher stock vessel has its solar panels incorrectly oriented

Saving and Loading

• Fixed: The Burn Timer window does not show staging events after loading a save with an active maneuver
  • Fixed: Vessels lose functionality if loading a save that was made outside of flight mode in certain situations
  • Fixed: Reverting to VAB with multiple vessels on the runway causes one of them to become unuseable

Science

• Changed the behavior of experiments that take time: they will no longer pause when leaving a valid research location and will instead enter a suspended state until you return to the original region, where they will restart without player input
  • :1437623226_rocket_1f680(3): Fixed: The Science action button flashes for already-completed experiments [1]
  • :1437623226_rocket_1f680(3): Fixed: Mission notifications appear in Sandbox mode [1]
  • Fixed: Experiment crew requirements depend on the vessel's crew intead of the part's crew
  • Fixed: Orbital Surveys do not work in Low or High Kerbol orbit
  • Fixed: Using the Transmit All button in the Research Inventory re-transmits already completed experiments

SUBMITTING BUG REPORTS AND FEEDBACK

If you'd like to provide feedback about this build, there are many different ways to do so:

Submit Feedback through the Game Launcher

Suggest a Change on the Forums

Join us on Discord to discuss potential changes

Bug reports should be shared to:

KSP Forums Bug Reports

is seeing crafts overlayed over the re entry effects on the bug list or a bug report with a  suggestion making it be overlayed over and off having reentry effects not showing the craft?

44 minutes ago, Intercept Games said:

Fixed: Vessel and KSC icons on the map are too large, particularly when closer to the camera

Okay fine. But it didn't make targeting things any easier when zoomed out. If you have even a single vessel around a body, targeting the body is impossible. That should've been part of the fix.

• Community Manager
17 minutes ago, Scarecrow71 said:

So much for fixing the parachute issue.  Sigh.

Parachute issues - alongside dv calculations, font rendering, and missing orbit lines - are our top priorities right now. We're looking into it and will share when we have news.

13 minutes ago, Superfluous J said:

Aw I thought that was a feature.

Technically it should be. In real life, the shine off of celestial bodies (specifically planets with atmospheres like Earth) from the sun render stars incredibly hard to see so I was a little confused when I saw this as a "fixed" at all.

Edited by NexusHelium

Looking forward to playing it again tonight! (Especially the automatic resumption of location-specific experiments! Took me a bit last night to realize the starlab was altitude- and biome-dependent…

Edit: Maybe in 0.2.0 starlab was biome-aware "at all altitudes" but in 0.2.1 it definitely only cares about biomes in 'low orbit' and handles all of 'high orbit' as if it were a single biome.

Edited by Flush Foot
New information after last play session

1 hour ago, Dakota said:

Parachute issues - alongside dv calculations, font rendering, and missing orbit lines - are our top priorities right now. We're looking into it and will share when we have news.

Well, the game is unplayable if parachutes don't open.  Like, literally unplayable; you cannot land on Duna, or Laythe, or even back on Kerbin, if the chutes don't open.   Guess this stays on my shelf for another couple of months whilst you sort out the chutes issue.  Sigh.  I was really looking forward to playing this again and getting on with the missions.

15 minutes ago, Scarecrow71 said:

Well, the game is unplayable if parachutes don't open.  Like, literally unplayable; you cannot land on Duna, or Laythe, or even back on Kerbin, if the chutes don't open.   Guess this stays on my shelf for another couple of months whilst you sort out the chutes issue.  Sigh.  I was really looking forward to playing this again and getting on with the missions.

I wonder what triggers it though? It only happened to me once and I was able to make it down in one order by quitting and reloading and hammering the deploy button until one of them deployed.

Radial chutes seem to work better for me.  I also make sure not to time warp through the opening.  Also, opening them a few thousand feet AGL also seems to help them deploy.  If I don't do any of these three things, chutes won't deploy/open at all.

Nice, about 6 weeks after "For Science" came out, we have the first patch quite a few issues I encountered myself are (nominally) fixed. Haven't been able to launch the game yet, but that will change soon ;)

As per usual, here's the bugfix stats:

Version Total items Community % of total
0.1.1 281 42 15%
0.1.2 173 36 21%
0.1.3 165 17 10%
0.1.4 81 9 11%
0.1.5 86 11 13%
0.2.0 156 0 0%
0.2.1 68 14 21%

While the patch with the least number of changes, we have to consider that the Christmas holidays and New Year's was in between. Also a lot of issues that were found and fixed thanks to the community.

Some more numbers:
Including the initial 0.1.0 release, we had 8 releases since February 24th 2023. On average, that's almost 7 weeks between releases.
Soooooo, mid March for 0.2.2? ;)

Ok, so in the update notes, I’m seeing that the visual effects on the heat shield ablator was supposed to be fixed.  But I’ve had the complete opposite experience.  Now I have no ablative coating loss during re-entry whatsoever, and there is no scorching texture effect when re-entering Kerbin’s atmosphere.  Previously, as disappointing as it was, I at least had SOME effect on the heat shields