Take Two Interactive (Rockstar, 2K, Private Division) canceling games, ending projects and laying off 5% of its workforce

Xindar

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, NexusHelium said:

But it does mean that something is happening development-wise.

So maybe it can also be considered something.

Well of course there will be something. If the studio folks really have been given 60 days to leave their jobs, they must've also been told to wrap things up, finish the remaining work for the next patch (whatever they were finishing up for 0.2.2.0 and 0.2.3.0) and ship it next to a final post on the forums the likes of:

"KSP2 0.2.2.0 Release Announcement and Farewell Letter"

"
Hello Kerbonauts. We're announcing that patch 0.2.2.0 will be releasing May/June ##th. Sadly, we also have to announce that development of KSP2 has ceased and that means this will be the last content patch this project will receive. We appreciate your support during this endeavor!"

... and, well... Fin.

That (which honestly, and as much as it hurts my heart, is the most likely outcome of this), or some other studio picks the shipwreck up.

Edited by MARL_Mk1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, NexusHelium said:

All of them have that.

No, this is the only one that lists an encryption, the rest dont.

Development2

Spoiler
ID  Configuration Manifest ID  Size  DL.
954851  Windows 64-bit Encrypted: 2D9065C8E3117116FA671FFD0911DC35 No size  
954852  macOS 64-bit Encrypted: 070DE01489BA6F1E7A83C4AEFA71D5D8 No size  
954853  Linux 64-bit Encrypted: A8CB4E8136242F643C1C86DB1B98ACF9 No size  
1998021 Depot from 1998020 In public branch No size  
1998022 Depot from 1998020 In public branch No size

Development

Spoiler
ID  Configuration Manifest ID  Size  DL.
954851  Windows 64-bit Encrypted: DA861F1068E0923CFA623D39E66CD98D No size  
954852  macOS 64-bit In public branch No size  
954853  Linux 64-bit In public branch No size  
1998021 Depot from 1998020 In public branch No size  
1998022 Depot from 1998020 In public branch No size  

Edited by Ryaja

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, NexusHelium said:

I see they've been working on a branch called "candidate."

Pushing what they've got to 1.0?

Edited by TLTay

58 minutes ago, cocoscacao said:

Part Manager??? The thing that takes half of the screen forcing you to search through many irrelevant parts that don't even have any meaningful info on them???

I agree with the rest, but... Part Manager???

I much prefer the Part Manager for anything that's bigger than a very simple rocket. I don't have time to be looking through specific parts when I'm doing something like, landing on Tylo for example. Granted performance was crap to begin with, but once it was patched it was great! As for how big the box is, I'm sure they could have added a 'scale' option to it to be honest.

Posted (edited)

The fact the the UI cannot be successfully used without MASSIVE frustrations in vanilla.. is a sign that it is inferior.

Just my opinion but like other aspect of KSP2.. the UI merely looks pretty but failed on the functionality tests.

The parts manager containing tons of parts without any tweakables, toggles, stats, etc is another thing I cite as the UI being inferior

Edited by Fizzlebop Smith

2 minutes ago, Infinite Aerospace said:

I much prefer the Part Manager for anything that's bigger than a very simple rocket. I don't have time to be looking through specific parts when I'm doing something like, landing on Tylo for example. Granted performance was crap to begin with, but once it was patched it was great! As for how big the box is, I'm sure they could have added a 'scale' option to it to be honest.

I like the part manager in KSP2 when I'm trying to get to parts I've buried under structural elements.

59 minutes ago, Infinite Aerospace said:

I much prefer the Part Manager

Not to deviate further from the thread subject, PM could be good, but it needs some work put into it. Filtering out structural parts for example...

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, TLTay said:

I see they've been working on a branch called "candidate."

That's an interesting one to be honest, but there's been like a dozen branches added in the last two weeks or so, that seems like a lot of activity for a usually fairly quiet studio. The one named 'Candidate' is an intriguing prospect, you might be correct to be fair. If the game has indeed been cut, perhaps there's enough of the future features done, in principle to put it together into a complete build. Not that I'd want to imagine how bug filled that would be mind!

Guess time will tell, but didn't Nate say the have something along the lines of 'feature teams' at Intercept, where the overall team was broken up into smaller, independent teams tasked with specific features of the game, a dozen different development branches added in the last two weeks, numerous teams tasked with implementation of features...it's possible I guess.

That said though, I haven't exactly kept up with their steam branches and stuff, so this might be totally normal pre-patch behaviour.

Edited by Infinite Aerospace
Clarification.

Shadowzone has a vid up about it. Doesn't sound great, and the longer we don't get word the more it seems like the news will be bad. Just really sucks for all the folks who worked so hard on this. 

8 minutes ago, Infinite Aerospace said:

That's an interesting one to be honest, but there's been like a dozen branches added in the last two weeks or so, that seems like a lot of activity for a usually fairly quiet studio. The one named 'Candidate' is an intriguing prospect, you might be correct to be fair. If the game has indeed been cut, perhaps there's enough of the future features done, in principle to put it together into a complete build. Not that I'd want to imagine how bug filled that would be mind!

Guess time will tell, but didn't Nate say the have something along the lines of 'feature teams' at Intercept, where the overall team was broken up into smaller, independent teams tasked with specific features of the game, a dozen different development branches added in the last two weeks, numerous teams tasked with implementation of features...it's possible I guess.

That said though, I haven't exactly kept up with their steam branches and stuff, so this might be totally normal pre-patch behaviour.

well, I don't know how modding can work there, but if there is basic enough mod support, I believe that ksp2 is a better base than ksp 1 was for them (newer engine, better render pipeline, multithreaded, using GPU and not only CPU...). If mods can modify in depth the game, then it could (like mods do for skyrim and minecraft) correct the bugs in a "rushed release" I imagine?

Or perhaps T2 said something alike "pour everything in the game, private division will only do bug correction" meaning they would have 100% the incentive to just release a completely broken thing so PD will have to maintain it and render it functional?

Mods can't fix core game engine bugs without access to the source code. (I mean it's theoretically possible by reverse engineering the compiled code, but that's extremely difficult.) Without that, mods can only use the game API to control its behavior, and attempt workarounds for anything the API doesn't provide. 

One little musing before I give up hope completely:

The Kerbals remain marketable. They are adorable little green geniuses who kludge together spare parts found in a scrapyard, to create fully functional (but not necessarily safe) spacecraft, which they happily ride to orbit-or-bust out of the sheer joy of doing science. They embody the sentiment of "if it's stupid but it works, it's not stupid". They are joyful little blobs with a cutesy nonsense language and a love of snacks, but mad engineering skills in more than one sense of the word. They remind us more than a little of Minions, granted, but less chaotic and with a clear penchant for rock-hard science.

In spaceflight circles, the word "Kerbal" has a clear and well-understood meaning. Something so nuts it shouldn't be allowed to work because whoever wrote the rules of the universe are supposed to be grown-ups, but somehow it does anyway. Or maybe it fails and causes a horrible explosion, but at least the attempt was made, against all laws of reason. "Kerbal" is hard to define, but you clearly recognize it when you see it.

Kerbals shouldn't be put in a drawer. They have potential. The IP would be attractive to potential buyers. I could see them working in other games, other settings. Imagine a build-your-own-kart racer, for instance. Or a build-your-own-plane cargo delivery game. Or Kerbal Architecture. Or, heck, just edutainment games for kids. Either way, I don't see the IP being locked up in a vault and never touched again. There is value in this worldbuilding, it's a known franchise with an established fanbase. Even if KSP goes bust, I don't see the Kerbals doing so. They would be continued, some way or another, or sold to somebody who would. Maybe they'll get a second lease of life somewhere, and somebody will dig the plans for KSP2 out of its box ...

Yeah 

50 minutes ago, Infinite Aerospace said:

Yeah, but then there was that thing about future offerings or whatever. They might just ice it and let it quietly go over the years. We'll see what they say on the quarterly call.

3 hours ago, NexusHelium said:

Not to be too pessimistic on this detail, but its likely they have a CI pipeline into steam for their testing. IE, its just building and pushing new versions on its own, nightlies are a common thing.

3 hours ago, TLTay said:

Who knows. I know I don’t. I was only a fake admin for like five minutes ;)

3 hours ago, Scarecrow71 said:

I like the part manager in KSP2 when I'm trying to get to parts I've buried under structural elements.

Same but the game really needs an option to still bring it up by right clicking on the part, and to have smaller window when you don’t need all 30 fuel tanks also clogging the screen.

1 hour ago, moeggz said:

smaller window when you don’t need all 30 fuel tanks also clogging the screen

ESPECIALLY when right-clicking fuel-tanks "is useless" (given that fuel-management is via the 'very stable' resource manager)

Posted (edited)

IMO, the right answer for parts is that a right click on the part should bring up the menu for the part you clicked on, and any parts contained within it.  Yes, you can still hide a part from that if you try hard enough, but it's simple and right for almost all craft.

However, that misses the bigger problem: you should never need the part menus.  Anything you want to do through them should be do-able through staging and/or action groups.  In other words, anything you can do through any part menu should be available from both staging and action groups (and there should be no difference between those: a stage is just a sequenced action group).

Edited by Skorj

5 minutes ago, Skorj said:

However, that misses the bigger problem: you should never need the part menus.

Small exception for docking ports… at least to ‘set as target’ on the other vessel (sure, one or both could then have “undock” as an action group, as long as neither’s mapping conflicted with other actions)

But then your ‘simpler right-click menu’ should shine

10 minutes ago, Flush Foot said:

Small exception for docking ports… at least to ‘set as target’ on the other vessel (sure, one or both could then have “undock” as an action group, as long as neither’s mapping conflicted with other actions)

But then your ‘simpler right-click menu’ should shine

Good point that there will always be a need to improvise.  Heck, that's half the fun of KSP.  But for docking ports, consider that the port could have "I'm the target" in its part menu, and you could set it in the VAB, and never have to mess with it unless you had multiple docking ports.  Sure would be nice to have "control from here" be stageable, too.

9 minutes ago, Skorj said:

the port could have "I'm the target" in its part menu, and you could set it in the VAB

Even if I set that in the VAB when building my station, running that “Action #3” while in control of the approaching ship wouldn’t (I don’t believe) execute that function on the ‘not commanded station’…

24 minutes ago, AtomicTech said:

Tangential-Acceleration-Formula.png

(This isn't a thread about PAW lol)

Sorry ;p