Anything Positive About KSP2

I am happy that this release focused on addressing some of the issues that remained in the game. Instead of attempted to dump a bunch of assets / couple features at the very end of development. We do not know if there will be a dedicated support crew for realz.

This could be the trouble title they are trying to wash their hands of and I do not trust anything that is being said at this point. I am extremely thankful that these final days were spent trying to fix the broken parts...even a little, instead of given us more toys that invariably wreck excrements further.  

In the last days, with the head cooling down and getting proper sleep, I was thinking about this thread.

And I think there's an additional positive post mortem thought on it: now we, finally, know what we are buying. No more wishful thinking, no more promises, only the cold, hard and harsh reality: this is what you get, this is all what you are going to get. Point.

You know what? Now it's not impossible than even me will buy this thing someday, once the price drops to a reasonable level - or it enters into a nice sale.

Now, assuming that Reverse Engineering will not be banned for good for USA made Software (see my signature), what prevents one to import some (or all) of the KSP2 assets to be used on KSP¹?

As long you properly own both games, it would be perfectly legal to do such. You would not even need to copy assets around, being enough to pinpoint the KSP2 installation inside the KSP¹ add'on and let it do the trick - we already have custom loaders, by the way - 80% of the job is already done.

You will never have KSP2 implemented inside KSP¹, but some of the features are plausible.

(I had bought scraps before to repurpose its working parts - it would not be something new on my life)

Edited by Lisias
Entertaining grammars made slightely less entertaining...

pfff... i make a positive comment, and it gets removed from the positive comment thread.

another positive thing:    ksp2 made me realise ksp1 is epic. :D

1 hour ago, theonegalen said:

The music

This has to be my favorite thing in KSP2.  For all the backlash over the foundational issues and bugs, the one thing I think they got right was the music.

The clear cockpit glass. There are some really visually ugly things about OG KSP that were very much nicer in KSP2. Yeah, mods can help in KSP 1 but it's still essentially hacky.

You all might have noticed that the moderation team has been extremely hands off with regards to criticism of KSP2. As unpaid volunteers, we have no agenda to keep the forum free of anything negative about either KSP or its owners. There is this one single thread, though, where the topic explicitly says it's about positive things. Could we please at least try not to post negative things in this one thread and then contort it to make it totally "positive" <wink wink>?

Yes, some more stuff had to get removed, because it's not the thread for that kind of content. 

Edited by Deddly

KSP 2 gave me the confidence and extra knowhow to  go to Duna all by myself. I sent a probe in KSP 1 but used that built in tool to plan the transfer window and burn node. I was able to do it not once, but 3 times, forcing me to push through that mental block about time in regards to Kerbals. The feeling of accomplishment was aided in no small part by the excellent soundtrack (which I still want to get my hands on).  I built planes - FUNCTIONAL planes. Never managed to do that in KSP 1. The procedural parts were really a game changer in that aspect. More or less, KSP 2 was doing everything I wanted it to do for me, bugs not withstanding. I was and still am prepared to wait out the roadmap, so I hope there's some sort of future for the IP.

5 hours ago, theonegalen said:

the For Science! contracts are so much better than the KSP1 science mode or career contracts.

I 100% agree. The contracts actually push you into useful science and milestones. They don't feel like random grindy tasks. Granted I could only get so far as the bug with orbit lines appeared, but going back to KSP1 had me jonesing for useful and meaningful contracts. Couple that with the visuals and the soundscape, I might shelve the game or pick at it here and there, keep an eye out for mods that address bugs, but I will never abandon it and will always hope the torch is picked up and the vision of what could be is realized.

The music / sound design and the attempt to make a new modern UI, even if it did not end well.

The attempt to make something new in the VAB with the WorkSpace, even if it did not end well.

The attempt to get some new graphics even if it did not end well (at all, sorry).

There were some attempts, some are barely positive since they were strictly mandatory, but hey, they did it anyway. And yeah the sound design was somehow very good, IIRC.

First and foremost, KSP2 gave me a reason to play KSP again after I felt I had exhausted all the possibilities of its predecessor. And even though what we have now is just a shadow of what I think the game could (or could have) become, there were already some features that were clear improvements in my book:

Everything about the planets was better, but most importantly for me they had much more complex and realistic terrain that was actually interesting to explore.  Spending a bunch of hours driving rovers around Duna and Kerbin to tag their mission goal easter eggs was more fun than I ever had driving a rover anywhere in KSP1, and the beautiful rendering of those easter eggs made me excited about the promise of more such gratifying gameplay experiences ahead.

The building interface in the VAB worked considerably better (after they fixed some of its worst bugs) than the one in KSP1. There were countless occasions on which I'd spend ridiculous amounts of time  tearing my hair out trying to place a part in KSP1 because it refused to snap to the target exposed node, and that didn't happen in KSP2. The procedural wings and control surfaces also made building planes that are both fit for purpose and nice-looking much easier. 

Lots of little things about the flight UI were significant improvements for me.  Fuel transfers were finally something that could be done in a logical, efficient, and symmetrical way! And although there were clearly some diehard fans of the right-click PAW model,  having a static part management window that doesn't move with your spacecraft was a major improvement in my book. There were so many times in KSP1 where I would find myself frantically chasing after some part on a moving or spinning vessel with my mouse pointer to right-click on it, and in KSP2 I never have to worry about that.  Having an altitude indicator that actually tells you  how far from the ground you are is pretty nice also!

Wheels and landing legs in the later updates of KSP2 were also much better than their KSP1 counterparts in most versions of that game.  No more gliding uncontrollably across 1-degree slopes, no more  landing  gear Krakening out just sitting on the runway. Maybe they patched some of those bugs in KSP1 after I quite playing it, but in all the versions I played they were still there.

Lastly,  the mission tree structure in FS was way more logical and fun to play through than anything that was ever in stock KSP1. The idea of having a trail of Easter eggs  leading you to some ultimate goal that enables interstellar tech is something I wanted to see in KSP1 for years, and it looked to me like that's where they were going with it. It still needed some work and some filling out, but I thought they were definitely on the right track with it.

All in all, I feel like KSP2  really did hold out the promise of a new and significantly better gameplay experience for novices and veterans alike, and I would still dearly like to see somebody take up the challenge of trying to realize some of that potential. Maybe there are foundational issues in the physics engine that make that an impossible goal without a complete rewrite, but if that's not the case then I think T2 is making a big mistake if they just spike it for eternity, especially if there is already a lot of artistic content developed that is just waiting for a viable substrate.

Edited by herbal space program

On 6/24/2024 at 2:20 PM, herbal space program said:

All in all, I feel like KSP2  really did hold out the promise of a new and significantly better gameplay experience for novices and veterans alike,

Debatable for veterans. :P

But I may be convinced about novices - it would help if I would remember, properly, how it would be to be a novice again. Too much muscle memory on KSP¹.

On 6/24/2024 at 11:59 AM, Dakitess said:

The attempt to get some new graphics even if it did not end well (at all, sorry).

Curiously... I liked the original graphics. I think the shades were bit too much "plastic", but this could be easily fixed.

IMHO, a game where failure and death of the characters will be a constant, it's not wise to make the look and feel too much realistic, otherwise you risk no only inducing some aversion to failure (what's fatal to a gameplay like KSP) but also ends up getting a harsher classification on PG rating.

I kinda liked the dish antenna (homage to Arecibo?), but I couldn't cope with where they put it - such a huge antenna in the middle of the Space Center really "broke the immersion" to me - but the antenna, per se, is cool.

-------

Spoiler

Something really positive I'm seeing lately about KSP2 is how arguments about it is not degenerating into personal attacks anymore.

I dare to say that (most) people are, now, really debating about ideas instead of excrementsting each other verbally!

Spoiler

Uh... Perhaps not. :(

Edited by Lisias
Perhaps not. :(

I’m pretty sure I was the first to land on Jool’s surface, very early on.  Decided to take Val skydiving.  Imagine my surprise at discovering Kerbal parachutes hadn’t been implemented.  I was even more surprised when she touched down…

One of my favorite parts about this game was, hot take I know, but the music ( ;) ) and the planets from orbit

As someone who unprofessionally works in sound and audio design, I pay attention to the music a lot more in things than I probably should, but it wasn't always that way.

Before KSP2, I hadn't really gotten into audio design. I had dabbled with it and made a couple of songs and SFX for things, sure. But it wasn't really all there. After I listened to the sound design and music in KSP2, however, I promptly turned my head that direction and said "Hey wait I want to do that" and so here I am, composing music and working on sound design for various personal projects. It also inspired me to start an entire unofficial OST for the KSP2 interstellar planets that, at the time, would most likely be coming out in a year or two. All of those songs I eventually posted, something I had never done before. It completely changed one of my hobbies to be something I dedicate a lot more time into and I'm grateful for that, as working with sound and music has been really fun :D

It started off as me like 5 years ago making a Zelda arrangement on a free website I founds, to garageband, to a lot more tools and freedom to make whatever I want.

And the planets from orbit are just gorgeous :) 

Edited by NexusHelium

10 hours ago, NexusHelium said:

One of my favorite parts about this game was, hot take I know, but the music

Hard agree on this.  The music is probably my favorite part about the game.  The first time I heard the music when going to the Mun I was like "What did they do to our standard music here", and after a few moments I started tapping my feet along with it.

I dont know if its directly related but,

On the last day of KSP2 development, today, i got an surprisingly raise in my job. So both events are now welded together in my memory, i think thats positive.