An update of sorts from your forum moderation team.

Posted (edited)

Folks, we're in a very unsettled transitional situation. Most or perhaps all of our parent companies' staff have been laid off. We do not know what the new management's intentions are for the game and for the forum. We are trying to find out but so far without success. You should prepare yourselves for the possibility that the forum could be shut down at any time, possibly without warning. Until we hear one way or another, it is our intention to go on moderating the forum as we have been doing, under the same rules. We wish we had better news but this is all we have to pass along to you at this time. 

To emphasize, I am not saying the forum WILL be shut down. Many games have forums which continue long after the game itself is finished and if nothing else KSP1 is still something that people are buying and playing, and so its forum may continue to be supported. What I am saying is that we are dealing with a vacuum of information and that a closure is at least a possibility. 

Edited by Vanamonde

3 minutes ago, Ashiepoppy said:

I actually hope the TakeTwo executives [REDACTED]

While this sentiment might be true, it’s not helpful for the scope of this discussion and for the future of the forums.     Let’s keep this type of talk to other threads please.   

Posted (edited)

In the case of this forum going down, I want to sincerely thank the moderation team for all of the dedication to this beautiful group of people who like a game. While the future seems uncertain, I feel that we must stay strong. Long live KSP!

EDIT: KSP 1 is still up so we might have something to do. So sad that KSP 2 is gone but it will have to wait. Hope the forum situation works out.

Edited by Yashie Guy

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

While this sentiment might be true, it’s not helpful for the scope of this discussion and for the future of the forums.     Let’s keep this type of talk to other threads please.   

Sorry I am just unbelievably furious at these greedy and out of touch sore losers.

But hopefully, the KSP forums would be transferred to a new company to host it. Though considering that T2 executives [snip], I wouldn't put it past them to shut the forums down whilst lying through their teeth. Hopefully though, like I said, it could be transferred to a new company within maybe a few months.

Edited by Vanamonde

Do they realize that if they kill the forums the entire online recognition of KSP will die in the process?

Let's hope at least someone has some common sense and prevent a 13+ year old legacy from dying at the hands of corporate greed

1 hour ago, Vanamonde said:

You should prepare yourselves for the possibility that the forum could be shut down at any time, possibly without warning.

Man, It's been fun on here- hoping that this isn't the case. appreciate y'all and what you've all done for the community over the years.

Things that happen when they give you $10 million and two years and you end up "burning" $60 million in seven years without delivering something viable and they went around applauding instead of crucifying the IG people. T2 had too much patience with all the failures.

AS IF IT COULDNT GET ANY WORSE

NOOOOO!!!!

we need to archive the forums, fast, or create some sort of new one run by the community, doesn't matter

29 minutes ago, AdrianDogmeat said:

Do they realize that if they kill the forums the entire online recognition of KSP will die in the process?

Let's hope at least someone has some common sense and prevent a 13+ year old legacy from dying at the hands of corporate greed

yeah, if the forums get lost KSP is most likely gonna get forgotten in the next few years, so yeah

1 hour ago, Vanamonde said:

Folks, we're in a very unsettled transitional situation. Most or perhaps all of our parent companies' staff have been laid off. We do not know what the new management's intentions are for the game and for the forum. We are trying to find out but so far without success. You should prepare yourselves for the possibility that the forum could be shut down at any time, possibly without warning. Until we hear one way or another, it is our intention to go on moderating the forum as we have been doing, under the same rules. We wish we had better news but this is all we have to pass along to you at this time.

Are you in a position to reveal who's footing the bill for the forum and/or who's currently your "boss" ? I know... from experience... that moderation is voluntary in 99% of cases, but there's still gotta be someone in charge, either financially, or editorially, or both.

26 minutes ago, AdrianDogmeat said:

I'll be the first to say it, at least in this thread:

The forum is overrated in its current state, and pretty much completely unnecessary as a place that at most hosts 400 people online and about 20 active in various threads. The only thing I'm genuinely worried about is the mod scene for KSP1, specially those mods that stopped being in active development/support and only exist here. I'm not even gonna hint at me making any sort of effort, but I will do the minimum effort of saying I genuinely hope someone does some archival work for it.

I haven't been on much in a while, but this was always one of the best online communities I've been on.   Friendly & helpful mmbers, moderators who (IMO) did a great job without "over-moderating."  Would be a great loss if these forums were shut down.  

51 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

it makes it funnier that its "redacted" rather than knowing what the user said

40 minutes ago, AdrianDogmeat said:

also it seems t2 doesn't want anything to do with ksp franchise anymore and is selling it, so it isn't a matter of "common sense" they simply don't care.

Just now, Stephensan said:

it makes it funnier that its "redacted" rather than knowing what the user said

The redaction is what the user said.   It is not edited.    Otherwise it would say edited.   

Please keep discussion in this thread to one that relates to the future of the forums.  

We gotta start scraping. Maybe we all find someone getting some drives and a cheap server to run the forums? Or get a subscription for AWS and rebuilding the forums? If they shut down of course.

The KSP2 saga just keeps getting worse and worse.

I doubt the end will be short term. The forum might be running on another service and doesn't require any action on the side of T2. But then again, bills for those services will at one point no longer be paid and the light goes out.

There are some other platforms, some of them not owned by T2, so the community will end up there. I hope.

Posted (edited)

Yeah just in case...

Thank you dear moderation team, dear modders and all the other kerbals.
Its been an honor to be part of it for so many years.

o7

Long Live Kerbal Space Program

Edited by atomontage

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Ryaja said:

We gotta start scraping. Maybe we all find someone getting some drives and a cheap server to run the forums? Or get a subscription for AWS and rebuilding the forums? If they shut down of course.

I think I'll try making a prototype for a continuation. If I succeed I'll post it on GitHub so people can help improve it and start a GoFundMe or something to get funding to host it. If I do start hosting I'll offer all current mods to moderate there too.

Edited by Ryaja
It's have to have generic branding as ksps IP would require permissions.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, atomontage said:

Yeah just in case...

Thank you dear moderation team, dear modders and all the other kerbals.
Its been an honor to be part of it for so many years.

o7

This mirrors my sentiments as well. 
This thanks is extended to all those participating on the sequel.

I am hoping that any intention to actually sell the IP will be leveraged by the forum being the quintessential HUB for various community sub groups.
That most dangerous and deadly of all drugs.. Hope. 

Edited by Fizzlebop Smith

8 minutes ago, TickleMyMary said:

Damn... T2 really are taking their ball and going home... After dipping your pockets and blocking your number.

To the bitter end, Gentlemen.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

We do not know this, yet.    It could just be they have not yet deemed it worth their time yet to say hi.    

As for the forums shutting down, we don’t know.     But it makes sense that when TTi acquired KSP, they moved the forums to a block of servers they use for such purposes.   As long as they keep those servers running in general, there’s a good chance the forums will be fine.   

But it also makes sense to start a backup for archival purposes.