An update of sorts from your forum moderation team.

4 hours ago, boriz said:

Surely there's some sort of free forum server/service that can be used, at least until something more permanent gets established?

Who owns the IP for the original KSP?

Take Two.

10 minutes ago, Lonelykermit said:

There's no way Take Two don't know how valuable the forums are to the community right?

If they valued the community, do you think they would have shuttered the studios?   

11 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

If they valued the community, do you think they would have shuttered the studios?   

Sadly this probably true. Emotional value is rarely taken into account.

I am late to the show i see - already 5 tabs gee...

Any way.. When I bought KSP2 and joined the forum to bug report I was blown away by seeing a 2010 style forum, healthy and thriving.. it makes me a bit sad that feels like its been dying together with KSP2.. i really liked it here. 

But maybe its only KSP 2 segment that is dying.. is the KSP1 segment alive? Ive been considering getting KSP1... but I just really dont like the HUD and I prefered the KSP2 looks of the Kerbals.. any way im going off a tangent.

All i wanted to say was that i really liked the KSP community and i would be sad to see it go.

It'll be a shame if the forum goes down. What's the ballpark annual cost to maintain a forum of this size (whatever the number of views/contributions is)?

48 minutes ago, tater said:

It'll be a shame if the forum goes down. What's the ballpark annual cost to maintain a forum of this size (whatever the number of views/contributions is)?

I don't think it's that much. I'm a member on multiple other forums that are owned/maintained by private individuals that have membership/post counts on the same order of magnitude as this one. But those forums use advertising/merchandising to help offset their expenses. So, don't gripe if it comes to that, folks.

1 hour ago, supra_Turbo said:

If the worst does come to fruition, I'm glad I got to enjoy it before the end. Thanks to everyone who built this forum to what it is today.

Beautifully said, basically sums up my thoughts 

6 hours ago, Lonelykermit said:

There's no way Take Two don't know how valuable the forums are to the community right?

Everyone who knew may have been laid off. I don't recall seeing any posts by staffers since the studio closed.

Any executives who dared peek at the forum would see a bunch of hate messages, hastening their shutdown.

5 hours ago, BechMeister said:

Any way.. When I bought KSP2 and joined the forum to bug report I was blown away by seeing a 2010 style forum, healthy and thriving.. it makes me a bit sad that feels like its been dying together with KSP2.. i really liked it here. 

But maybe its only KSP 2 segment that is dying.. is the KSP1 segment alive? Ive been considering getting KSP1... but I just really dont like the HUD and I prefered the KSP2 looks of the Kerbals.. any way im going off a tangent.

All i wanted to say was that i really liked the KSP community and i would be sad to see it go.

A forum was the best (only?) way for the modding community to thrive. Imagine if you had 4 favorite mods, and one was discussed on the Steam forums, another Discord, Reddit, and Twitter. It would stifle discussion of mod interoperability and limit discovery of new mods.

Some mods that used to be discussed here are now on Discord or Patreon :(

I think everyone is wrong. When T2 needs a forum, it will reuse the IP and physical space of the Kerbal. 
And be thankful that it has not yet acted as it should by law, since they are the owners of the KERBAL seal and can ask for royalties for the accounts opened on PATREON or Youtube for brand use. 

Faced with this reality, they should give thanks to IG's effort to squander the franchise and allow it to soon become a real headache for many in the face of the demands of lawyers.

I sent a message via Take2's contact form! And I hope that someone will read it and pass it on to those responsible!

Even if it doesn't help, I hope that it can have some effect...

Here is the message I sent to Take2!

Since you closed the company Private Division, which was responsible for the game Kerbal Space Program 2, the community and all players of this game are in great excitement!

This game was and still is in Early Access....
There are still numerous updates that were promised and what the players are waiting for!

For the price you pay for the game, it is not insignificant.

So what are your plans for the game and do you want to keep the players and the community in the dark?

Check out the forum and the Discord of this game and you will see that this game is worth continuing!

I am a player of this game myself and I enjoy playing it, as do many others!

And if the development of this game continues, more people would buy this game!

Don't give up on this game! And let the main developers continue to work on it!

Sincerely
One of the fans of KSP2!

I would pay for access to these forums to be maintained. Can we set up a patreon or something for the moderation team and server space? I support several ksp modders on patreon, and spacedock, it would only make sense to also support the forums in the same way.

On 7/8/2024 at 9:27 AM, PDCWolf said:

Do not even go there. You might not want to get all legal about IP ownership because a lot of the modding community only exists because of T2 turning a blind eye to the blatant EULA violation some mods surely must have gone through *wink* to exist, which is decompiling the game. As far as legal cleanliness stands, a lot of mods are not in a position to be part of any legal discussion.

Out of curiosity, on what basis do you make that determination? 

2 hours ago, Solidus1981 said:

I sent a message via Take2's contact form! And I hope that someone will read it and pass it on to those responsible!

Here is the message I sent to Take2!

Please do not intervene the T2 Legal Department and prohibit the use of your seal.

10 hours ago, BechMeister said:

is the KSP1 segment alive?

Very much so. Just check out the KSP 1mod releases section and Spacedock. Playing and modding is a constant. Blue Dog Design alone is enough to keep a steady stream of interaction.

10 hours ago, BechMeister said:

but I just really dont like the HUD and I prefered the KSP2 looks of the Kerbals..

There are mods out there to change all of that.

4 hours ago, Solidus1981 said:

Thank you, now they will remember about the forum they forgot and begin to decide the fate of the forum.

On 7/9/2024 at 12:27 AM, PDCWolf said:

These two statements are in contradiction. The mature answer is not to start hurling insults around and taking it out on the easiest, biggest target. Sinking KSP2 took a lot of people, a lot of missed calls, and a lot bad stuff from multiple sides. And no, this isn't defending TakeTwo, but actually pointing out that they aren't the only ones to blame, they're just the easy target by being a faceless corporation that's not gonna come swinging back at you. The answer also isn't blaming the people that got scammed for wanting to play another fun game. That kind of outrage-tivism died long ago on the worst times of Twitter witch-hunting.

It has come to light that a lot of the early work on ksp2 was under tight restrictions set by take two that lead to the trouble dev history. You can point the finger and the mistakes made by Star Theory or Intercept Games all you want but at the end of the day the root of all of this stems from Take Two

On 7/9/2024 at 3:43 AM, Izny said:

Kerbal Space Program domain expires On: 2026-04-14. They will forget to renew the contract, domain will get sniped by tokyo domaintrolls, and it will remain for sale till the end of times. 

Let the record state i called this :D

The 502 errors of the forum part of the domain tells me they already forgot about the server hosting the forum, and already forgot to include it in several routers.

I find that highly unlikely, KSP still pulls revenue so I doubt they will pull the domain for as long as you can buy direct from the website.

17 hours ago, boriz said:

Ah. Of course. I was thinking the KSP2 IP was a different entity.

I'm not sure if its owned by Private Division or Take Two but PD is owned by T2 so there really isn't any difference. Take Two has owned it since 2017. They own squad, PD and the IP Rights to KSP

14 hours ago, Lonelykermit said:

Laughs in corporate, of cause they don't. They couldnt care less what happens to this place as long as the game sells. The only thing T2 cares about the community are their wallets.

13 hours ago, BechMeister said:

You should really get KSP1, its a feature complate version of KSP2. Runs better, so many mods to enhance the experience.  

I knew that the KSP2 side of the fourm would die, its already dead in the r/ksp discord but never would I think that the failure of KSP2 and shuttering of Intercept Games would lead to the future of the entire fourm becoming uncertainty.  I want to believe the fourm isnt gonna go anywhere but T2 really is scary right about now.

I'm honestly so shocked I don't know what to say. :(

Thank you Vanamonde and the mod team for everything you're doing. Hang in there.

Hopefully someone from Take Two shows up and pays the server bill. I don't know how expensive forums are but it's gotta be pennies for them, right?

I used to be part of a SimCity 4 forum called Simtropolis. They've been going strong for 20+ years with their game studio long dead. I think they're fan owned though. Run off of donations and such. Maybe adding an ad to the home page could help pay? I realize we can't do anything without the owners but maybe a fan-run spinoff could happen if worse comes to worse.

Best wishes everyone y'all have been an amazing community!