What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Did it again.  Built this rover carrier and sent it to Moho.  It got there fine, but now can't leave.  It builds up speed too slowly and rolls out of control.  Now working on upgrading it and getting together a rescue mission for the 4 stranded crew.

P8PWfEj.jpg

Duna 2 arrived at Duna first, for some reason...

DDhmqTg.png

The landing was successful, however there is no commnet so science data wasn't transmitted.

fvK4Jbt.png

Duna 1 has a similar story. Unfortunately, this mission was almost doomed by a second stage ignition failure just after launch. Thus , the spacecraft wasn't able to achieve an optimal orbit and it has no connection as well.

Ix5UftJ.png

An aging Viking capsule was launched. This enabled Gudrun Mayer to advance to level 2. We now have a rather large number of Level 2 pilots, which will be very important for further missions.

5m3vYGG.png

Then Sirius 9 launched on board a Scimitar I heavy. The crew performed a nominal mission to Minmus and back.

iR5enW2.png

I decided to try RO/RSS. After messing around in sandbox, I decided to try RP-1. I started a career, built a rocket (This was quite hard - I couldn't really figure out how to make the avionics work.), and stated to build this. However, I couldn't add more than 10 engineers to the launch site for some reason and the rocket would only be finished in 1952. This made me quite angry and I returned to sandbox

I managed to do a soft landing on the Moon. Mechjeb ascent guidance failed just before orbital insertion, so my orbit was quite dodgy, however I managed to fly to the moon.  During landing, I realised my engine was unthrottleable, so I had to keep shutting the engine down the engine before landing. Luckily, the engine has a huge impact tolerance.

fypILgb.png

I switched back to my JNSQ career. What a relief! I launched a new space telescope to high kerbin orbit. Unfortunately, the kickback booster failed to ignite and the rocket tipped over.

88Y3MiH.png

Miraculously, the payload survived (mostly) so it could be relaunched, this time nominally.

zyG6rbW.png

There however seems to be a glitch with the Kerbalism science experiment for this part. It says it will take 25 years to complete in the VAB, but in orbit the completion time is... 23,800 years. What! Even more strangely, the completion time increases instead of decreasing. This is annoying as I really want that 660 science this part provides.

tLiFgRi.png

Having spent 180 days in orbit on board Station 1, the crew return home.

zl4DbDO.png

12 hours ago, space_otter said:

There however seems to be a glitch with the Kerbalism science experiment for this part. It says it will take 25 years to complete in the VAB, but in orbit the completion time is... 23,800 years. What! Even more strangely, the completion time increases instead of decreasing. This is annoying as I really want that 660 science this part provides.

I've had that issue too, when trying to map the Mun and Minmus. I think it has to do with limited electricity onboard the craft. How much EC does that experiment take?

The Minmus lander was sent off.

i9O54aW.png

The first landing was successful so plans were made for a short hop to a new biome.

ezyFOWs.png

Which did not go well due to losing comms 100-200 meters above the surface.

spLtbNm.png

Mission accomplished, all objectives were achieved.

2C1zacv.png

Started my 2nd attempt to get into Moho orbit (in JSNQ). First time became a flyby...  Transfer Window Planner calculates impulse burns, not accurate for a 1 hour xenon burn that starts before you even enter Moho SOI. Oberth effect is huge here. I knew this but didn't add enough extra dV. Had at least +1000 but needed closer to +2000.  This time with NERVs it's a 28 minute burn, 5716 m/s. I think that's the biggest dV burn I've done before.

YL18daK.png

Spoiler

CjWOuTl.png

N6OqhMm.png

Jool left and Kerbin right. Scans have started.

sM6Gckt.png

Update: only 1 hour later, the lander arrived and landed.

Spoiler

1xXJdx5.png

Kerbin "pale blue dot" from Moho:

8grrTH2.jpeg

Without an engineer, ISRU is incredibly slow... only 0.01 per sec warping at 100x.

Edited by Krazy1
lander

Today I finally got the F-35 Lightning II B that I have been building for over a month to a point I felt I could show it off. Still more to do including an internal but it fully works, transitions, hovers etc. Model wise it is the most complex form I have created to date. There were many times I felt like giving up, but finally got there.

P4XioOg.jpeg

Hey you all!

Sorry I've been absent, but to recap I finished my gaming computer (for the most part) and I'm enjoying KSP1 immensely.

Here are the screenshots (new video card works wonders! :) )

9gzIIVb.png

VBaVp75.png

eCXkkol.png

9LPt51z.png

TwU0LwE.png

1nG514G.png

sYcjDPR.png

MRO-2 and also MiRO-2 (Unfortunately no screenshots of the latter) launched and started their scanning processes. MiRO-2 is equipped with a BEEP, so it will continue to send science data back for a long time.

ROLpQaC.png

The X-3 fast test plane was tested. Although zoom climbs are possible up to 40 km, the elusive goal of Mach 3 flight remains, well, elusive. Max speed in level flight is mach 2.93. Unfortunately, the contract requires me to go at a speed of 1029 m/s, which is well above mach 3, at least at 15 km in JNSQ.

HOYbUYS.png

The rather unconventional launch vehicle for Eve-2 disintegrates in the upper atmosphere. Clustering tanks without autostrut is a bad idea. The rocket can't recover from the spin so the second stage is required to bring the apoapsis out of the atmosphere. The transfer stage performs the circularisation. This leaves the spacecraft critically low on propellant and means that the rocket will have to aerocapture.

e7pZNs2.png

LDZxomt.png

Eve-3 is a re-attempt of the goals of Eve-1. The original spacecraft's antenna was too weak. Although this probe was originally destined for Jool, the rather difficult situation with Eve-2 means that it was safer to get at least 1 science-gathering mission off this launch window. That means that we miss Jool and we have to wait a while to launch there again.

2qEkkDY.png

Special Report: First Minmus landing in my JNSQ career.

The launch was the first and perhaps the only flight of the Sirius DA (direct ascent). The crew of Sirius 10 will be Gudrun Mayer and Mikhail Balakhnov. The vessel is built with clustered tanks. This arrangement is less than ideal so I am looking forward to the more capable 3.75m parts. The power of the four mainsails and one swivel is enough to melt the launch base.

Zu7mxOP.png

After a rather explosive staging, the pod jettisons the escape tower and ignites five poodle engines. TWR is mediocre, mostly because I remove fuel on purpose but accidentally added it back in. However, this comes in handy as the second stage is burned to depletion after TMI.

f6871jG.png

It is just the capsule and its one terrier now.

vKK5R1m.jpeg

After one aborted landing attempt and the selection of a new landing site, the crew land in the midlands of Minmus and prepare for EVA.

ieUm0QJ.jpeg

The surface activities are very complicated. Both Gudrun and Mikhail perform EVAs. Bringing an engineer was a good idea, as he manages to service the engine which only had five ignitions and a minute of burn left. Mikhail also performs an EVA to collect samples from a different biome, covering a total distance of 14 km. Four surface samples are gathered, however this maxes out the capacity of the pod. 

YFZgPYV.jpeg

The return of the capsule is rather straightforward. Turns out that the vessel was overbuilt, with around 1.5 km/s of Dv left in the lander stage and 400 m/s extra in the final stage, which remained unused. Despite this, the vessel cost 156K, which is about half of the 375K funds which the Sirius Mun lander cost. Clearly, Minmus is a lot easier.

AF1Q8PB.jpeg

And landing in Kerbin's deserts. The crew returned a total of 600 science points, although quite a large amount of that was from contract gains.

Tkrsn8c.png

Today, I built and tested an orbiter and lander (not showned here, will be attached on top) for the first Minmus exploration bits of my IVA career, it has been long since I used Tantares parts, and I forgot how pleasant they are in probes designs ! :) 

kj2KlLF.png

18eDKzI.png

I also almost finished the editing on my upcoming cinematic video, which should hopefully release tomorrow, If premiere pro decides to be nice with me... :D 

I cannot resist to share you a sneak peek (spoiler warning) :

Spoiler

ZPdS9UO.jpg

Cheers ;) 

4 hours ago, kurgut said:

Today, I built and tested an orbiter and lander (not showned here, will be attached on top) for the first Minmus exploration bits of my IVA career, it has been long since I used Tantares parts, and I forgot how pleasant they are in probes designs ! :) 

kj2KlLF.png

18eDKzI.png

I also almost finished the editing on my upcoming cinematic video, which should hopefully release tomorrow, If premiere pro decides to be nice with me... :D 

I cannot resist to share you a sneak peek (spoiler warning) :

Hide contents

ZPdS9UO.jpg

Cheers ;) 

I've often dreamed about recreating Interstellar shot-for-shot in KSP someday...

On 2/7/2024 at 1:49 PM, kurgut said:

Today, I launched with classified means, the Port Kolisar statioport in Earth orbit :

9ysBghO.png
More:

Reveal hidden contents

JKwGhRS.png

The KFS-01 exploration ship, docked to one of the "city-hub" of the station :

1pVEvYh.png

Yes it's pretty big haha

O6lKG2u.png

Views from the different centrifuges's windows :

jlfjLHA.jpg

Engine section :

vrMHIpC.jpg

City hub one :

4EEehEL.jpg

KFS preparing to leave for its destination : [classified]
SLwOVnW.jpg

Aaand burning towards [classified] !

KXphiHR.jpg
Cheers !

Hey, I recently tried installing the Interstellar Endurance mod, and my Lander part looks... janky. How did yours avoid this? Mine appears to be stretched vertically, badly. Also, how much do you plan on using it? Because I had a lot of control problems, like phantom roll, excessive pitching, etc.

8AGtuRh.jpeg

(Engines are not perfectly circular)

Today I went on a figurative shopping spree on CKAN. Kinda overwhelmed at the flood of new parts, but I'm sure I'll get used to it. One of the biggest changes, however, was my installation of Z-Theme (KSP UI dark mode) and Restock. To anyone following Wrong Red Moon, some of the vessels are gonna get a bit of a jarring change visually. It's for the best but the intermediate transition will be the worst.

2tvMKr2.jpeg

The Ranger is pretty fun to fly. Getting to orbit and landing was a breeze.

Edited by Kimera Industries

The last ever Sirius mission, Sirius 11 is launched. On board is Maria Ramez and another Kerbal.

dgcFP5i.png

As an experiment, the service module is retained. The spacecraft loses only the solar arrays and RCS blocks, but nothing else, thus proving that reusable spacecraft may be possible. It is intended to be used as a museum piece.

qUNKs4z.jpeg

The X-4B is kicked into action. Having once exceeded Mach 3, Mach 4 was bound to be easy. In the last rays of sunlight, Melanie Kohler and Maria Ramez prepare to be the first Kerbals to pass this historic barrier.

lFwuSIW.png

The plane, fully fuelled, struggles to ascend using the power of the jets alone. The maximum altitude it can achieve is around 10 km. The rocket engine is ignited and the plane accelerates rapidly. The fuel supply is extremely limited, so they cannot afford to waste it by gaining altitude. They pass Mach 4 and beat the contract. The engine is overheating! How far can we push it! Not very. The cockpit melts, the crew not aware that the temperature was too high. Destabilised, the rest of the plane tumbles downward and disintegrates, the debris hitting the ground only seconds later. This is the first fatal accident of the program. Maria Ramez was one of the original four, and a level 2 pilot. The X-4, and all other supersonic programs are immediately shelved, until the tech arrives to unlock better engines, like the whiplash.

Today, I've finished the cinematic video I've been working since a little while ! :) 

It's inspired by Interstellar obviously, but not only...  some Star Wars (Tantive corvette), Star Citizen (Port Olisar tribute), KSP 2 trailer wink (Jupiter station), 2001, ... :) 

Happy watching (best watched with headphones ;) ) !

I've also continued my IVA only career, finished building the Minmus probe lander, and starting to think about a crewed lander, using the MK2 pod (tho I'd like to make it land facing the horizon, so trying different solutions as to how attach the landing legs, and landing engines in a pleasing fashion...).

15 hours ago, Kimera Industries said:

How did yours avoid this?

I don't know, since I didn't actually fly this part, but I get that they'd require finessing, the Ranger for instance has absurdly strong reaction wheels, and its RCS aren't balanced properly for translation, the Internal (while being gorgeous) has some gaps leading to the vacuum of space... "Bill, would you please put some bands of office tape on those holes ? thx !", said Jeb :P 

Cheers !

Edited by kurgut

59 minutes ago, kurgut said:

I don't know, since I didn't actually fly this part, but I get that they'd require finessing, the Ranger for instance has absurdly strong reaction wheels, and its RCS aren't balanced properly for translation, the Internal (while being gorgeous) has some gaps leading to the vacuum of space... "Bill, would you please put some bands of office tape on those holes ? thx !", said Jeb :P 

I've noticed a lot of improperly balanced parts as well. A delta-v of 150,000 m/s is ridiculous, not even jet engines have an isp of 180,000.