What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Yesterday, I spent all my time on KSP doing an exciting job: Adding cameras to my N-1... yay... Testing them is rather difficult. Why am I doing this to myself again? Why, to make a cool mission report, of course. Then I spent even more time tweaking all my vessels to look better with Restock. Then I listened to my Dune audiobook. Oh wait, I didn't have time for that, did I? Then I went to bed because it was late. 

I finally learned how to actually use Kopernicus correctly after several years of trying to do it on and off again... so I gave Eve three new moons and a ring system. Oh yeah, and I also doubled its radius, gravity, and atmospheric pressure, because taking off from it wasn't difficult enough already.  I also increased the atmosphere's temperature at the surface to 687 K (414°C), which means that parachutes are destroyed by the heat.

Heff's Eve Expansion:

9oSqf5A.jpg

Ah, the ring system. Amazing how a 1 pixel height texture can make something so majestic.

U5ADZqm.jpg

The innermost moon, Zoozve. Its name is based off of a real-life asteroid (524522 Zoozve) that is a quasi-satellite of Venus, much like how Cruithne is a quasi-satellite of Earth. I gave it an oblate shape to reflect that its surface is being stretched by tidal forces due to its proximity to Eve. In addition, I added "volcanic vents" (they aren't actually filled with lava because of how oceans work), which I plan to give a Hazardous Body config later on.

OveTqVD.jpg

Next moon out, Keith. Its name is a Kerbalized version of Neith, which was a hypothetical moon of Venus that astronomers were convinced existed because of several "observations" that had been made of it (they actually turned out to just be stars).

oqMKFsX.jpg

View of Eve from the surface of Keith

XFNPdSe.jpg

The third moon out is Gilly, which I haven't changed at all, so we'll move out to the final and most intriguing moon, Widor.. which is supposed to be a chunk of a white dwarf star that was blasted off into space when a planet collided with it at tremendous speed, scattering ultra-dense fragments across the cosmos. This particular fragment eventually found its way to the Kerbol system and into orbit around Eve. As a result of it being composed of degenerate matter, its density is extremely high, giving it a surface gravity of 21.5 G, despite its tiny radius of 6 kilometers. I don't know if a chunk of white dwarf like this could actually exist in real life, but I just thought it'd be funny to give such a tiny object a stupidly high surface gravity. It's also supposed to be a lump of nearly pure carbon, essentially making it a 12-kilometer-wide diamond.

Eq3weRF.png

Good luck trying to land on that... I might lower it to 16 G's or something like that to put it on the very bleeding edge of possible.

Edited by MythicalHeFF

4 minutes ago, MythicalHeFF said:

I finally learned how to actually use Kopernicus correctly after several years of trying to do it on and off again... so I gave Eve three new moons and a ring system. Oh yeah, and I also doubled its radius and gravity, because taking off from it wasn't difficult enough already. 

Heff's Eve Expansion:

9oSqf5A.jpg

Ah, the ring system. Amazing how a 1 pixel height texture can make something so majestic.

U5ADZqm.jpg

The innermost moon, Zoozve. Its name is based off of a real-life asteroid (524522 Zoozve) that is a quasi-satellite of Venus, much like how Cruithne is a quasi-satellite of Earth. I gave it an oblate shape to reflect that its surface is being stretched by tidal forces due to its proximity to Eve. In addition, I added "volcanic vents" (they aren't actually filled with lava because of how oceans work), which I plan to give a Hazardous Body config later on.

OveTqVD.jpg

Next moon out, Keith. Its name is a Kerbalized version of Neith, which was a hypothetical moon of Venus that astronomers were convinced existed because of several "observations" that had been made of it (they actually turned out to just be stars).

oqMKFsX.jpg

View of Eve from the surface of Keith

XFNPdSe.jpg

The third moon out is Gilly, which I haven't changed at all, so we'll move out to the final and most intriguing moon, Widor.. which is supposed to be a chunk of a white dwarf star that was blasted off into space when a planet collided with it at tremendous speed, scattering ultra-dense fragments across the cosmos. This particular fragment eventually found its way to the Kerbol system and into orbit around Eve. As a result of it being composed of degenerate matter, its density is extremely high, giving it a surface gravity of 21.5 G, despite its tiny radius of 6 kilometers. I don't know if a chunk of white dwarf like this could actually exist in real life, but I just thought it'd be funny to give such a tiny object a stupidly high surface gravity. It's also supposed to be a lump of nearly pure carbon, essentially making it a 12-kilometer-wide diamond.

Eq3weRF.png

Good luck trying to land on that... I might lower it to 16 G's or something like that to put it on the very bleeding edge of possible.

That reminds me of this XKCD: :D 

Solar System Changes

Over the past week or so I started a Vall-focused save and then got bored of it almost immediately, here's some miscellaneous pics from the missions that I thought were kinda neat

ruDQ00x.png

WeEUipb.png

jR66eEB.png

3iNRYUZ.png

2lag2rf.png

6qBWQQW.png

ivwbUtr.png

At the moment I am working on another heavy SSTO, a smaller version of the massive one I posted a while ago

Been slowly building a Heli Carrier over the last 3 days. Found it is very hard to Vertically land an F-35 on a deck in mid air that refuses to stay at a set hover in a single player game. Best attempt lost the right wing and tail.

fFjSV89.pngaZLr7wv.pngGCQbloj.pngQfmDFHF.png

Am waiting on the blessing of the current SWE/RSMP maintainer so that I can release Restock Waterfall Expansion 3.0.0. 

I thought that 2.2.0 was gonna be the last one but I got hit with a not-half-bad idea to integrate Solid Waterfall Effects into the mod lol

I also took the opportunity to clean up the mod a bit (in that I integrated the JetSoundsUpdated  folder into the RestockWaterfallExpansion folder).

JX6HIjI.png

On 1/17/2022 at 9:17 AM, Hyperspace Industries said:

Today I finished all my homework at school, so, I played a bit of ksp.

Reveal hidden contents

ANpIizy.png

Z1KCikL.png

Don't worry, there was nobody in the capsule.

After that, I tried flying the box a plane came in.

QCVXTZe.png

Blam, don't worry, it had a probe core, and nobody inside.

cDO2cQD.png

0Lme1vk.png

oDEUfVP.png

xZi8rO1.png

After that Katrina went for a fly in a modified aeris 3a.

9XDLVDQ.png

LKFXKqc.png

Revert to launch.

n17pQWO.png

Coming in for a landing.

NBjaB3z.png

I was aiming for the runway, but, any landing you can walk away from. :D 

I also tried multiple times to make a career save, but, every single time, kerbal renamer refused to give me Jeb, Bob, Bill or Val!

@AtomicTech You have a surnames mod, do you know what to do?

Apologies that I haven't seen this until now. What was the problem?

Edited by AtomicTech

https://imgur.com/a/TmUm8Fm

I found a radial parachute going somewhere north of a BILLION METERS A SECOND on an escape trajectory out of Kerbol.

I don't even know how it got here. It showed up as a blip on the map while I was ham-fisting a Duna polar orbit to survey scan it without SAS, a story in of itself for another time. It was like an asteroid you haven't scanned with the telescope thingy that fades away after you briefly catch it. Definitely one of the funniest bugs I've encountered

4 hours ago, Second Hand Rocket Science said:

https://imgur.com/a/TmUm8Fm

I found a radial parachute going somewhere north of a BILLION METERS A SECOND on an escape trajectory out of Kerbol.

I don't even know how it got here. It showed up as a blip on the map while I was ham-fisting a Duna polar orbit to survey scan it without SAS, a story in of itself for another time. It was like an asteroid you haven't scanned with the telescope thingy that fades away after you briefly catch it. Definitely one of the funniest bugs I've encountered

Speed? Yes.

After many many crashes I have decided that as nice as it looks, the Helicarrier is a tough in game craft to land on and take off. So I threw together a quick design and remembered to install the Mod Aircraft Carrier Accessories. Now I have landed and taken off successfully in mid air using the F-18 many times.

aKocfm0.pngsaXdwkM.png

I've been playing with planes a lot recently, and I dearly want my Kerbals to be decked out in flight suits to really get that test pilot/fighter pilot vibe going. Are there any mods that add flight suits in the IVA, or even just a flight helmet?

Getting into swing with Eeloo now.  About to land my first (booststrap) mining rig:

zNbD8WD.jpg

I have a medium-scale miner called Goblin arriving in just 62 days, but it will not have sufficient ergs for capture.

Plenty of time to prepare a waiting Mule tug to perform the old "catcher's mitt" trick, though!

15 hours ago, TwoCalories said:

I've been playing with planes a lot recently, and I dearly want my Kerbals to be decked out in flight suits to really get that test pilot/fighter pilot vibe going. Are there any mods that add flight suits in the IVA, or even just a flight helmet?

@Caerfinon has experience with custom suits, There is a mod they have used but I can't remember off the top of my head. I will try to look it up.

Try these links, I believe a few people have used this mod to create custom stuff.

https://spacedock.info/mod/1824/TextureReplacer

https://spacedock.info/mod/2675/Benjee10's Historical Kerbal Suits

https://spacedock.info/mod/3089/Caerfinon's Suits

https://spacedock.info/mod/1120/Kerbal Hack: Wearable KIS Props

Edited by ColdJ

Started a challenge with a friend who's new to KSP: she's sending at least one probe to orbit every body in the system, and I'm doing the same except using only cargo SSTO's. I found an old design and refurbished it a bit to make it into a proper workhorse, and made a smaller one for the Mun and Minmus. Also, landed back at the KSC for the first time!

yGAiMBw.png

ypWP8nk.png

9yP2hFt.png

RHXKGjN.png

0b1J66V.png

6DdkGny.png

0wvbRgv.png

Many many missions, most of them with that big Mk3 plane you see there. I'm still deciding on a name for it, its placeholder designation is P-CRG-205 so if anyone has any ideas then tell me

Might refine it a bit more and throw it up on KerbalX, at the moment I'm only using it to carry very light payloads and it's overkill for that

Dark Scanner was launched to scan the Jool moons. It features 2 fuel cell arrays and about 1200 LFO to provide EC for 4 xenon engines. 2 oversized RTGs provide power for the Large SAR-L scanner or the other scanners but not simultaneously, to save funds. An existing booster was fitted with smaller SRBs and drop tanks to optimize a bit (and to press the spacebar more). An existing nuclear tug design was added in the middle with little fuel for the final push to Kerbin orbit. 

LJP 410 had already left Mun with a full load of fuel and ore and was waiting in LKO to dock with Dark Scanner, push it to Minmus orbit and fill it's tanks, then land on Minmus to refuel. Tug and scanner are awaiting Jool launch window. 

Uzomc9j.jpeg

Launch and LKO docking:

Spoiler

iXH3p5k.png

9gWT9qy.jpeg

LY3S9dr.jpeg

9qefJQr.png

kFcQ6Dx.jpeg

RZjJDU2.jpeg

Why is there a >50% chance of docking in the dark?

ILymxA4.png

Ditched the fairing node and reconfigured the struts for transit.

6GagNbG.jpeg

9Mi6n8e.jpeg

9zRXM9r.png

36XkHJn.png

4W9lytT.png

Meanwhile another LJP 410 arrived at Eve and crew is gathering science before continuing to Gilly and Moho. They made an unsanctioned dip into the atmosphere and got an EVA report hanging on the ladder... at Mach 24. For science of course. 

Spoiler

Uo5ERBI.png

oCJ6clr.png

OFbBjDk.png

Edited by Krazy1

On the drawing board, destined for Duna, but (though it does fly there) maybe not enough wing area...  It's a pity because it flies really well/economically on Kerbin.  (M0.86 on 0.02/s LFOX.)

rRQdPsh.jpg

Still tinkering...

Spoiler

This passes.

SR1iL90.jpg

Edited by Hotel26