Ask the Mods questions about the Forums!

Dman979

54 minutes ago, Rutabaga22 said:

How many times have y'all banned ppl in the last week?

Banning people is very, very rare. A good moderator does not enjoy banning people. Instead, he or she works very hard to avoid banning someone. A ban is always a last resort after every effort has been made to help a person understand the community's way of doing things. 

Banning spam bots and SEO spammers, on the other hand, is a daily occurance. 

22 minutes ago, Rutabaga22 said:

I have never seen a spam bot around here. You mods must be pretty good at your jobs.

The moderation team has quite a few members who are aces at that.  (I’m not one of them..).  But thank you!  We consider that a huge compliment, we all try to keep spam out of the forum.

I  was hoping it was the one about a plane, a treadmill and a washing machine walking in to a bar.

The plane was always looking for an angle, the treadmill was constantly running but never getting anywhere and the washing machine was always dizzy.

The bartender said "Why the long face?" To which they replied "Sorry, you have the wrong joke!"

23 hours ago, Rutabaga22 said:

I have never seen a spam bot around here. You mods must be pretty good at your jobs.

It helps that the approval queue does a pretty good job of weeding them out, so we have a chance to spot them and remove them before they're publicly visible to regular forum members.

It also really helps that we have a thousand eyes helping us.  On those occasions when a spammer slips past us, typically some forum member will notice something and activate the Bat-Signal file a report, which draws our attention and then we can clean it up posthaste.  So we can't entirely claim all the credit for ourselves, much though we might like to.  ;)

23 hours ago, Rutabaga22 said:

I have never seen a spam bot around here.

Spoiler

This one. The mods ban them.

meatrobot.jpg?w=640

Imagine that such beasts had entered this world...

On 10/24/2022 at 2:46 PM, Deddly said:

A good moderator does not enjoy banning people. Instead, he or she works very hard to avoid banning someone. A ban is always a last resort after every effort has been made to help a person understand the community's way of doing things. 

"... and it hurts me more than him".

17 minutes ago, Rutabaga22 said:

Are there any allowed bots on the forum that aren't owned by the forum team?

As the newest member of the Moderation team, I'll likely be corrected here.  But I'm going to say no, at least not that I'm aware of.

Although the moderation team strongly suspects one or two of our members are AI supercomputer bots.  Not going to name names, but their initials are @Snark and @Vanamonde

1 hour ago, Rutabaga22 said:

Are there any allowed bots on the forum that aren't owned by the forum team?

Allowed bots? We don't use any auto-moderation, if that's what you mean. Well, except for the language filter, which automatically substitutes neutral terms for curses and stuff. 

Ive wondered from time to time about an aspect of the name change system some folks take advantage of. You have user XYZ and they ask for their name to now by ZYX. Ok cool, an available moderator catches sight of the request and does what ever switch flips yall do and they have their shiny new name. How does the user in question learn they have been granted said new name? By chance or does the forum send a message to them similar to the notice you get when you get a pm? I know its an odd question from me since I doubt I will ever avail myself of the name change system, but i figured Id ask and perhaps a user considering it will learn a bit more of the process :D

3 hours ago, AlamoVampire said:

How does the user in question learn they have been granted said new name?

I'm not completely certain about this, but I don't believe a notification is sent out. Rather, the moderator who fixes the name change quotes and replies to the name change request so that the user receives a notification that way.

3 hours ago, Deddly said:

I'm not completely certain about this, but I don't believe a notification is sent out. Rather, the moderator who fixes the name change quotes and replies to the name change request so that the user receives a notification that way.

If a user makes a name change request and then logs out, I would imagine a certain amount of panic if they try to log in unaware the change took place and bounced off the authentication during log in. At least if it was me, I would have a moment or three of panic if my username suddenly failed me, my first thought would be did i misspell my name and not about the change request but thats just me lol. Maybe Im just over thinking it. Thanks for replying :) 

Edited by AlamoVampire