[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

On 7/25/2023 at 8:58 PM, Socowez said:

Mercury-Titan! (has this been done before?) Perhaps in an alternate timeline where Titan was developed before Atlas. I don't know, that's my slap-on explanation. I'm not sure if there was a better fuel tank for the transition between 1.25m and 1.5m, but at my current spot in the tech tree, the Thor tank was the best I had. Apologies for the bland camera work, it is difficult to get a good angle when focusing on controlling the rocket.

Kerbal_Space_Program_Screenshot_2023.07.

Here's some more screenshots from a separate flight with Algol SRBs. I originally had the problem of lacking DeltaV, before I realized the fuel switch on aforementioned Thor tank was fueled with Kerolox instead of Hypergolic fuel which the LR91 engine uses. 5 attempts at an orbit contract and roughly 80k funds were dumped into a rocket carrying 2.3 tons of dead weight in place of much-needed fuel.

I might have tried going in the opposite direction (if you want to call it that).
NNzxMdP.png
pyscfgI.png
xW448PZ.png

Sadly regular Atlas didn't have enough power. Atlas V might be a different story.

16 hours ago, guest10985 said:

Is Atlas V going to get a revamp as well?(i.e. new textures for CCB and SRBs, and possibly centaur forward load reactor if you have time)   

Yes eventually. That's a separate project by Invader not part of the current work I'm doing.

21 hours ago, Pappystein said:

Also, Titan I engines are Kerolox!  You used Titan II/III/IV engines if you had the thor tank's fuel switch wrong

I'm using Skyhawk Science System, and it seems that it makes all Titan engines consume Aerozine50 and NTO. Maybe I could bring that up to the maintainer of SSS for accuracy purposes?

7 hours ago, Zorg said:

There is one bit of Atlas V (and Atlas III in particular) I am working on right now though

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/929499313132933120/1134132440106017010/image.png

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/929499313132933120/1134132495328231544/image.png

These look astonishingly detailed. I have no idea where you get the resources that allow for this level of detail on an engine, nonetheless the hours and tedium it took to get this result. Do you do the texturing too?

Also, not to come off wrong, but are these getting added to BDB? Had I imagined it, or was 1.12 the last update for BDB 1?

Edit, to add: I have not been very active since KSP 2's launch, that circus put out most motivation I had for KSP. Apologies for my lack of briefing.

Edited by Socowez
stated

4 hours ago, Socowez said:

These look astonishingly detailed. I have no idea where you get the resources that allow for this level of detail on an engine, nonetheless the hours and tedium it took to get this result. Do you do the texturing too?

Also, not to come off wrong, but are these getting added to BDB? Had I imagined it, or was 1.12 the last update for BDB 1?

Edit, to add: I have not been very active since KSP 2's launch, that circus put out most motivation I had for KSP. Apologies for my lack of briefing.

Yes this is for BDB1. The KSP2 situation being a bit more clear now (its not ready for BDB as we need a lot more functionality for BDB to work, either in the base game or through supporting mods), we have decided to continue with new projects for KSP1 in the meantime.

Finding resources for engines can sometimes be hard, the other Atlas engines although overall simpler designs were more challenging to model as I had to go off of fewer pictures of complete engines and no orthographic schematics. The RD180 on the other hand is one of the most well documented engines.

ps. yes I will be texturing the engine as well.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/690553577524953158/1134363751060078602/image.png

Edited by Zorg

4 hours ago, Zorg said:

Yes this is for BDB1. The KSP2 situation being a bit more clear now (its not ready for BDB as we need a lot more functionality for BDB to work, either in the base game or through supporting mods), we have decided to continue with new projects for KSP1 in the meantime.

I am so, SO happy KSP2 failed. It seriously sent me into a deep depression knowing you weren't going to work on BDB anymore. Thank you so much for making this decision. Not everyone can afford top of the range hardware.

One small request for Atlas V revamp: hardware for Atlas V Heavy - decouplers and side attach nodes, just like on Delta IV Heavy. Unfortunately, I have no idea if any blueprints for those are open to the public, or even exist.

16 hours ago, Socowez said:

I'm using Skyhawk Science System, and it seems that it makes all Titan engines consume Aerozine50 and NTO. Maybe I could bring that up to the maintainer of SSS for accuracy purposes?

I don't know if SSS supports the BDB setup of "Hypergolic" or "Kerolox" engine mode switch... so utilizing SSS, you would use the AJ-3, AJ-5K, or AJ-9K engines, for example.   Those are all Kerolox engine configs.... and even though base BDB does not utilize any Hypergolic fuels (most are a lot of crazy math to do right), the default AJ5/AJ11 engines performance is BASED on Hypergolic fuel being utilized.   

Alternatively, you could rip SSS out and use the patch I have in the EXTRAS folder. :D   It has ALL the Titan Engines, including 3,5,7,9,11 and 11A :D  *doublechecks the patch to make sure I have my patch as is in BDB*

Nope, I don't have the 11A in the HypergolicBDB patch...   So Titan IVB is a little hard to make 100% (but the AJ-11A isn't in BDB either)

The Patch in BDB_Extras/Pafftek/HypergolicBDB includes a use case for Zorg's TitanAJ9 patch.   So you need the BDB_Extras/Titan_AJ9 folder as well.   Without Zorg's original AJ9 patch, you won't get the Hypergolic LR87 and LR91_AJ-9 engines from the First generation Titan IIIs (only the "Test" Titan IIIA flew with AJ-5 engines from the Titan II.)     The patch I am so proud of would not exist if it weren't for Zorg's and JSO's work before what I did to "stitch it" together.

On 7/27/2023 at 12:35 AM, Blufor878 said:

I might have tried going in the opposite direction (if you want to call it that).
NNzxMdP.png
pyscfgI.png
xW448PZ.png

Sadly regular Atlas didn't have enough power. Atlas V might be a different story.

So FATLAS to the rescue huh?   What are the booster engines you used (LR-89s, H-1 or H-2?)

18 hours ago, Zorg said:

There is one bit of Atlas V (and Atlas III in particular) I am working on right now though

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/929499313132933120/1134132440106017010/image.png

Look at those Turbopump structural flanges.   NICE!

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/716335760084566046/1134929619494125588/screen_2560x1440_2023-07-29_21-38-59.png

so the red ring there is an untextured placeholder (The ring is a toggle and will be part of the mount switches). But the texturing of the engine proper is just about complete apart from emissives. The text is also placeholder, exact wording and positioning could be different in the final one. For the bare engine there will also be a toggleable LOX pipe extension that will go up and and turn back inwards which should enable some kit bash options hopefully.

Edited by Zorg

On 7/29/2023 at 9:36 AM, Zorg said:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/716335760084566046/1134929619494125588/screen_2560x1440_2023-07-29_21-38-59.png

so the red ring there is an untextured placeholder (The ring is a toggle and will be part of the mount switches). But the texturing of the engine proper is just about complete apart from emissives. The text is also placeholder, exact wording and positioning could be different in the final one. For the bare engine there will also be a toggleable LOX pipe extension that will go up and and turn back inwards which should enable some kit bash options hopefully.

Beautiful!

Um, I think this is the best looking (accuracy + art quality) RD-180 since CardBoardBoxProcessor's in the Kosmos rocket pack (the part of the Kosmos mod NOT maintained by Raidernick n company.)   Dead since 2018....     The last one made by Cobalt ~4 years ago was CLOSE to that standard....   This one is beyond it :D

Truly spectacular! The little rib-like bracings on the turbopumps  are strangely eye-catching for me.

I must confess, I am a bit irritated with myself for not knowing that the Atlas V was powered by Russian-made engines. It's a peculiarity that should have stood out to me, and yet I missed it.

11 hours ago, Pappystein said:

Um, I think this is the best looking (accuracy + art quality) RD-180 since CardBoardBoxProcessor's in the Kosmos rocket pack (the part of the Kosmos mod NOT maintained by Raidernick n company.)   Dead since 2018....     The last one made by Cobalt ~4 years ago was CLOSE to that standard....   This one is beyond it :D

Thanks! Just wanted to note though that the previous one was modelled by PickledTripod and textured by Cobalt.

3 hours ago, shakuvendell said:

Truly spectacular! The little rib-like bracings on the turbopumps  are strangely eye-catching for me.

I must confess, I am a bit irritated with myself for not knowing that the Atlas V was powered by Russian-made engines. It's a peculiarity that should have stood out to me, and yet I missed it.

It was a strange time when the US and Russia were quite cooperative and the US gov was interested in keeping Russian rocket engineers employed lest they go to less desirable destinations increasing proliferation risks. Plus the RD170 family (to which the RD180 belongs) remains to this day among the most performant sea level booster engines out there.

20 hours ago, Pxtseryu said:

Finally got a new, POWERFUL pc to run this mod with a ton of other graphical enhancements. Made a short video to test it with Explorer 1. Wonder if people like this style...

Very nice and well done! I suck at flying manually so I use MechJeb. You seem to have done well with it. What kind of orbital parameters did you get? Stock Kerbin or 2.5/2.7x KSRSS or JNSQ?

May I make some suggestions for enhancements? Forgive me if you already know about these. 

1. Conformal Decals - This mod adds a lot of cool text and flag graphics that will let you dress up your Juno I to near-historical accuracy.

2. Modular Launch Pads - You can build some nice launch pads and towers with this. Very historically immersive.

3. Dock Rotate Mod. - In theory this lets you spin up the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th stages while still on the launch pad, like they did IRL. I have never been able to get it to work correctly, so I just use a spin motor decoupler to get the 2nd stage to spin on release. Von Braun designed the upper stages to spin in order to keep them stable in case one or more of the solids burned off-nominal. Just make sure you disengage SAS before lighting the spin motor decoupler.

6 hours ago, TomVorat said:

Just a question, is that Buran kitbashed or the kats one?

As far as I know, Kats is on hiatus.  It's like herding cats!  *ba dum tsss!*

Anyway, it's SOCK with the "unfinished" Buran parts provided with the mod, and texture options for the wings and payload bay from: https://github.com/cmdrads/RussianOrbiter

For Buran cockpit, I did have to use an MM patch to allow 10 crew maximum (My sources on the 10 crew max is sketchy, but I went with it)

I also used Infernal Robitics Next to Kludge together an extending docking tunnel!