[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

1 hour ago, 1124max said:

No sorry i should have included an arrow in the image, the grey box like structures on the sides are not connected to the olive green conical section.

I see what you mean now. I see stuff like that on models from time to time. I don't think it's a conflict with another mod. I think it's just a minor modeling error within the mod itself (no disrespect to the creators of course). The creators of the mod are free to correct me if I'm wrong.

In any case I'm reasonably confident it's not an issue with another mod. If it were, you'd REALLY notice (think error spam or wrong skin on wrong model noticeable).

2 hours ago, kspbutitscursed said:

@CobaltWolf @Zorg @Invaderchaos would the free iva configs be bundled in with the next release of BDB thanks @kspbutitscursed

Thats is the plan and work on it has started.

Its not just freeIVA configs and colliders, JonnyOthan has been kind enough to take on the job of actually creating IVA shells for many of the missing IVAs in BDB. With him taking on the job of making the shells, ensuring everything lines up and doing the final setup, we decided to collaborate on them where I will be texturing them and adding some extra stuff. The collaboration is going well and we've completed a few although prop work is still pending on these. 

Aft MDA and airlock

screen_2560x1440_2023-03-27_20-11-39.png

European research module

screen_2560x1440_2023-03-28_13-54-57.png

screen_2560x1440_2023-03-28_13-53-36.png

Historical Skylab MDA with console

screen_2560x1440_2023-03-28_18-16-03.png

screen_2560x1440_2023-03-28_18-15-43.png

Wet workshop airlock

screen_2560x1440_2023-03-29_01-47-37.png

It will be a little while before these are merged into the dev branch though as we make our way through the list of IVAs.

Edited by Zorg

32 minutes ago, Zorg said:

Thats is the plan and work on it has started.

Its not just freeIVA configs and colliders, JonnyOthan has been kind enough to take on the job of actually creating IVA shells for many of the missing IVAs in BDB. With him taking on the job of making the shells, ensuring everything lines up and doing the final setup, we decided to collaborate on them where I will be texturing them and adding some extra stuff. The collaboration is going well and we've completed a few although prop work is still pending on these. 

Aft MDA and airlock

screen_2560x1440_2023-03-27_20-11-39.png

European research module

screen_2560x1440_2023-03-28_13-54-57.png

screen_2560x1440_2023-03-28_13-53-36.png

Historical Skylab MDA with console

screen_2560x1440_2023-03-28_18-16-03.png

screen_2560x1440_2023-03-28_18-15-43.png

Wet workshop airlock

screen_2560x1440_2023-03-29_01-47-37.png

It will be a little while before these are merged into the dev branch though as we make our way through the list of IVAs.

Wow thanks for all you do zorg I love your work

30 minutes ago, kspbutitscursed said:

Wow thanks for all you do zorg I love your work

Most of the thanks should go towards @JonnyOThan :) , while I am happy to texture these there's no way I would have worked up the motivation or find the time to actually model these and set them up. This wouldn't be happening if not for his initiative.

Cobalt, I am asking because the thread-search was inconclusive. Are you and the team planning to add Mariner Mark II (CRAF) at some point in the future, whether KSP 1 or 2? I think they'd be an excellent complement to follow Pilgrim/Pioneer probes to outer planets.

24 minutes ago, Nachtgeist789 said:

Cobalt, I am asking because the thread-search was inconclusive. Are you and the team planning to add Mariner Mark II (CRAF) at some point in the future, whether KSP 1 or 2? I think they'd be an excellent complement to follow Pilgrim/Pioneer probes to outer planets.

I mean, it's definitely something that interests me/the team and we'd love to do it some day. Unfortunately, "some day" could be years even without factoring in KSP2 and whatever wrenches that will throw into things. I know I'd personally prioritize Voyager and Viking as more iconic missions, not that I'm jumping to do either.

A Saturn C-2 launches a follow-up mission to the MORL. A C-2 with H-1 engines on the first stage is a bit of a dog, so I upgraded her with E-1s.

Spoiler

Ce9YhJ2.jpeg

M1zNSKT.jpeg

Staging and the S-II is burning .

oKVRfis.png

uslOOCY.jpeg

Tower jettison reveals this mission's name. The S-II completes its work and hands off the push to the S-IV.

vOHqQ6g.png

Ironman One was successfully inserted into orbit and began its chase of the station. A successful rendezvous burn series brings her and the crew of James Pruett, Joe Sweeney, and Clayton Stone to the proximity ops portion of the flight. Pruett guides her in carefully and docks Ironman One to the station.

Spoiler

bO0bYGE.png

sfLjtGH.png

YI1zup9.jpeg

smyrhL4.jpeg

After the crews conduct a handover, the Gemini departs the station and heads home with Robert April, Ted Dougherty, and Roger Healey.

Spoiler

89PFVQZ.jpeg

HtciaQ6.png

AZJW24n.jpeg

Splashdown off the coast of North Carolina was successful! BTW, this C-2 configuration works very well. Initial orbit insertion to begin the rendezvous phase was 150 km, and there was plenty of gas left in the S-IV. It would have easily gone to a much higher orbit. 

On 3/28/2023 at 8:36 PM, CobaltWolf said:

That was one of my main reasons for pushing Zorg to make MORL - I felt that it nicely rounded out the Skylab/OWS/General Apollo station parts very nicely. Combined with the other things that have been added, there's a lot of potential!

I've been trying to get Invader to make it for like a year now, but he wants to wait for KSP2.

Have a Pegasus update:

TxBdLix.png

i am excite

1 hour ago, NaviG said:

This mod is amazing. Does it change the stock parachute's textures? It would be nice to add a compatibility patch!

BDB does not affect any stock parts. Our own parachutes all use their own textures.

If you mean BDB should patch our textures onto stock chutes thats neither feasible nor within scope. Restock makes stock chutes look very nice though.

There is also this which is pretty cool on parachute messages.  I haven't tried it out as I had major computer rebuilds since I ran across the mod:

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/200770-112x-custom-parachute-message-encode-message-to-your-parachute-just-like-perseverance-v101/

On 3/31/2023 at 5:13 PM, DaveyJ576 said:

A Saturn C-2 launches a follow-up mission to the MORL. A C-2 with H-1 engines on the first stage is a bit of a dog, so I upgraded her with E-1s.

Hide contents

Ce9YhJ2.jpeg

M1zNSKT.jpeg

Staging and the S-II is burning .

oKVRfis.png

uslOOCY.jpeg

Tower jettison reveals this mission's name. The S-II completes its work and hands off the push to the S-IV.

vOHqQ6g.png

Ironman One was successfully inserted into orbit and began its chase of the station. A successful rendezvous burn series brings her and the crew of James Pruett, Joe Sweeney, and Clayton Stone to the proximity ops portion of the flight. Pruett guides her in carefully and docks Ironman One to the station.

Hide contents

bO0bYGE.png

sfLjtGH.png

YI1zup9.jpeg

smyrhL4.jpeg

After the crews conduct a handover, the Gemini departs the station and heads home with Robert April, Ted Dougherty, and Roger Healey.

Hide contents

89PFVQZ.jpeg

HtciaQ6.png

AZJW24n.jpeg

Splashdown off the coast of North Carolina was successful! BTW, this C-2 configuration works very well. Initial orbit insertion to begin the rendezvous phase was 150 km, and there was plenty of gas left in the S-IV. It would have easily gone to a much higher orbit. 

Before reading further,   Understand I am one who is all about lego-ing to win...

C-2 was to fly with 8x H-1s or 8x H-2, or 4x H-2 and 4x H1 (center four being H-2)or 4x-H-1 and 1x F-1 or 4x E-1s (order of most Likely to Least likely)

Also C-2's S-I stage is shorter than C-1/Saturn I/Saturn IB first stage so drop 10% fuel and LOX from it.

But beyond trying to Steal the C-3s S-I power-plant of 2x F-1s Great mission :D

Love the use of the Gemini extension "Butt-kicker" capsule addon    Brings me joy seeing it used :D

https://github.com/Pappystein/Space_History/blob/main/PDFs/Saturn CII and CIII archive version.pdf

I posted a bit on the subject last year Easter Sunday (I think)

Edited by Pappystein

15 hours ago, Zorg said:

BDB does not affect any stock parts. Our own parachutes all use their own textures.

If you mean BDB should patch our textures onto stock chutes thats neither feasible nor within scope. Restock makes stock chutes look very nice though.

15 hours ago, RocketBoy1641 said:

There is also this which is pretty cool on parachute messages.  I haven't tried it out as I had major computer rebuilds since I ran across the mod:

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/200770-112x-custom-parachute-message-encode-message-to-your-parachute-just-like-perseverance-v101/

Thx for replying, i've tried all chutes and i like the most the one from BDB but the rest look good too. The best part is the rope canopy, it looks much better and without sawtooth effect, most of them. I already asked on RC for the canopy thing and he replied that canopy is auto-sized based on chutes size. So when you deploy your chute, the rope goes thicker, which is not very real + rope are very thick. That are some of the reasons that i prefer BDB pack.

you gave me han idea i'm trying to use the restock patches and modify them so i can use BDB chutes on my configuration! I make it work but i can't see the stock textures, looks like i've changed the entire model haha.. cause i'm still learning to correctly patch a part, for example i wanted to change some default plumes that are not modified by waterfall, but i haven't found a way or explanation yet to delete the stock ones. Things work but not how i want to :(

Any plans in the future to translate? I want to help. If you give me or explain how can i make a localization file for all your parts i'll translate them into spanish. 

Edited by NaviG

14 hours ago, Pappystein said:

Before reading further,   Understand I am one who is all about lego-ing to win...

C-2 was to fly with 8x H-1s or 8x H-2, or 4x H-2 and 4x H1 (center four being H-2)or 4x-H-1 and 1x F-1 or 4x E-1s (order of most Likely to Least likely)

Also C-2's S-I stage is shorter than C-1/Saturn I/Saturn IB first stage so drop 10% fuel and LOX from it.

But beyond trying to Steal the C-3s S-I power-plant of 2x F-1s Great mission :D

Love the use of the Gemini extension "Butt-kicker" capsule addon    Brings me joy seeing it used :D

https://github.com/Pappystein/Space_History/blob/main/PDFs/Saturn CII and CIII archive version.pdf

I posted a bit on the subject last year Easter Sunday (I think)

I was actually inspired by the original design for the Juno V (later Saturn I) that was developed in 1957. Von Braun's team had designed the cluster tank Juno V with four E-1's as the powerplant. As late as July 1958 this was still the plan, but a visit to von Braun's offices by representatives of ARPA that month and the discussion that ensued pointed out that the E-1 would not be ready to fly by the time that von Braun's team would be handed over to NASA. It was decided to go with eight H-1s instead. In the end it was probably the wiser decision. It got the Saturn flying sooner. If it hadn't been for some schedule pressure... who knows.

I actually haven't played around with the H-2s since they were incorporated into BDB. I will swap out the E-1s for H-2s and give it a go.

It would be nice to have a shorter version of the clustered S-1-16K Liquid Fuel Tank to match what you were talking about. I also found out that the stage used for the SA-5 to SA-10 flights were longer than the stage used for the SA-1 to SA-4 flights by 72 inches. These longer tanks were carried over into the Saturn IB program and became the "standard" length. So, the way I envision it would be for the Saturn IB length (the current first length) to be the standard version, with one or two shorter versions to use with Saturn I and possibly the C-2. @CobaltWolf, @Zorg, any takers? No problem if you don't want to do it. It works fine the way it is. Just a thought.

I actually developed a small B9 patch to develop a subtype of the S-1-16K tank for the Saturn IB which reduced the mass by four units. The first stage used for the real life Saturn IB was lighter than the earlier versions by over 7000 lbs. I also wrote a patch for the engine mount to reduce its weight a little. It makes the performance of the Saturn IB a little more realistic in my opinion. 

I have built out a C-3 using a S-IVB tank and the dual engine mount for the LRB. I used the same upper stages that I built for the C-2 above. With two F-1s the thing is pretty powerful. You almost need to power down the F-1s, but that seems to defeat the purpose.

Very interesting stuff @Pappystein. I have always had an affection for the Saturn family. (Don't tell the Titans I said that :lol:)

10 hours ago, DaveyJ576 said:

I was actually inspired by the original design for the Juno V (later Saturn I) that was developed in 1957. Von Braun's team had designed the cluster tank Juno V with four E-1's as the powerplant. As late as July 1958 this was still the plan, but a visit to von Braun's offices by representatives of ARPA that month and the discussion that ensued pointed out that the E-1 would not be ready to fly by the time that von Braun's team would be handed over to NASA. It was decided to go with eight H-1s instead. In the end it was probably the wiser decision. It got the Saturn flying sooner. If it hadn't been for some schedule pressure... who knows.

I actually haven't played around with the H-2s since they were incorporated into BDB. I will swap out the E-1s for H-2s and give it a go.

It would be nice to have a shorter version of the clustered S-1-16K Liquid Fuel Tank to match what you were talking about. I also found out that the stage used for the SA-5 to SA-10 flights were longer than the stage used for the SA-1 to SA-4 flights by 72 inches. These longer tanks were carried over into the Saturn IB program and became the "standard" length. So, the way I envision it would be for the Saturn IB length (the current first length) to be the standard version, with one or two shorter versions to use with Saturn I and possibly the C-2. @CobaltWolf, @Zorg, any takers? No problem if you don't want to do it. It works fine the way it is. Just a thought.

I actually developed a small B9 patch to develop a subtype of the S-1-16K tank for the Saturn IB which reduced the mass by four units. The first stage used for the real life Saturn IB was lighter than the earlier versions by over 7000 lbs. I also wrote a patch for the engine mount to reduce its weight a little. It makes the performance of the Saturn IB a little more realistic in my opinion. 

I have built out a C-3 using a S-IVB tank and the dual engine mount for the LRB. I used the same upper stages that I built for the C-2 above. With two F-1s the thing is pretty powerful. You almost need to power down the F-1s, but that seems to defeat the purpose.

Very interesting stuff @Pappystein. I have always had an affection for the Saturn family. (Don't tell the Titans I said that :lol:)

H-2s were my baby prior to getting good info on the engine.   When it turned out the H-2 was just an H-1 with a much higher pressure turbopump...   Much easier to process the update.

Prior to that little nugget all we had on the H-2 was from a USAF drawing of a Theoretical Atlas F that used paired H-2s as a booster and had a Centaur and a Centaur JR...   Below is a cleaned up aproximation of the ICBM version by Ed Kyle.

atlas-eff-icbm.jpg

The Real Atlas F was a couple meters longer than the Atlas E, not 10 meters.

One of the things about research is sometimes you find the data you need.    8 States away, buried under 5 Battleships worth of scrap metal.

Edited by Pappystein

Fun things I learned in completely the wrong place (BDB specific here)

www.designation-systems.net   : Looking up information on US Military Jet and Rocket engines for missiles and an article I was writing for a Naval magazine, and came across the entry for the LR-119.   An Enlarged RL10 for the Saturn V stage (or Saturn Centaur Stage)  For point of Refrence the RL10A-3 and A-3S are both classified as LR-115 engines to the DOD.

Much later we learn that it was the RL10B3 (now in BDB via an extras add on)

www.alternatewars.com/BBOW/   Again looking for data on a US Navy Missile program that has been swept under the rug....   Find refrences to the 400klbf torroidal J-2.    Also in BDB extras (although it is in need of a major revamp.)

Also on Alternatewars.com/bbow/   Find a photo of an E-1 battleship bell.       Cobalt appeased mine (and others) pushing...   In BDB.   (as above was reaserching a mostly ignored by history missile)

www.spacelaunchreport.com/library (now defunct)    Find out about H-2 Engine.    6 ish years later we find actual data points on the test turbines for the H-2 engine...       Was researching how the Atlas Balloon tank worked / how Atlas was constructed.

Fun-fact, Alternatewars.com is also down... but it is being rebuilt as generalstaff.org

Edited by Pappystein

On 3/26/2023 at 9:13 AM, Invader_guy said:

Im gettting these errors on startup, at least the first one seems to be caused by a bluedog part but Im not really sure what might be wrong with it

uqPXRt6.png

For a possible fix, you can try making a new text file anywhere in GameData, rename it to KSHBDBFix.cfg, and paste the following in there:

@PART[bluedog_skylab_powerModule_radiator*]:NEEDS[Kerbalism,Bluedog_DB,SystemHeat,B9PartSwitch,zzzz_KerbalismSystemHeat]:AFTER[zzzz_KerbalismSystemHeat]
{
	@MODULE[ModuleB9PartSwitch]:HAS[#moduleID[meshSwitchSide]]
	{
		@SUBTYPE,*
		{
			@MODULE
			{
				@IDENTIFIER
				{
					@name = SystemHeatRadiatorKerbalism
				}
			}