What funny/interesting thing happened in your life today?

Ultimate Steve

1 hour ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

I'll bet you don't even remember the 60s!

I remember parts of it.  From some documentaries I've seen.

1 hour ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

In all fairness a lot of people from the 60s don’t remember the 60s… <_<

Lead singer at a concert I went to in college:
"Do you remember the '70s?  We don't!"

Well as you all know im a sim pilot typically flying the 737-700 and sometimes the 737-800. I decided to do a flight from my hometown to KLAS. I double check my AIRAC cycle, update my aircraft, load the sim. So far all is going well. Then I begin preflighting my aircraft. A 737-700 in Southwest Airlines colors, reg N268WN. I get to the part where I need to load fuel. I have my flight plan pulled up on my EFB (electronic flight bag) and look at my fuel. I see 9238 or there about. Im like what, i need at least 2.5 TIMES that. What I failed to notice when i made my flight plan I left the fuel in kilos. I redo my flight plan in pounds and see 21566 pounds. I nearly shorted myself half my fuel. Stupid mistake at 0200 lol. Fixed it and am at FL360 cruising  at mach .812. As it is true in KSP to check staging and fuel/dv its true in msfs to check your fuel :D

37 minutes ago, AlamoVampire said:

Well as you all know im a sim pilot typically flying the 737-700 and sometimes the 737-800.

The 737 is my favorite modern airliner. The 767/777, 747 and 787 are too big and boisterous, and I don’t know much about Airbus (sorry Europeans).

43 minutes ago, AlamoVampire said:

made my flight plan I left the fuel in kilos

Shades of Gimli glider...

Spoiler

Before KSP...

Before Minecraft...

I flew thousands of hours with AltAir in VATSIM...  Took an instrument check-ride with a virtual instructor who was actually an instructor with one of the major airlines IRL.

Edited by Hotel26

57 minutes ago, Hotel26 said:

Shades of Gimli glider...

Reveal hidden contents

Before KSP...

Before Minecraft...

I flew thousands of hours with AltAir in VATSIM...  Took an instrument check-ride with a virtual instructor who was actually an instructor with one of the major airlines IRL.

Possibly lol. Im just over an hour away from Vegas with 13400 pounds left. I took of with 22600. Just passed Las Cruces NM about 20 minutes back. Id likely had to have landed in KLRU as an emergency had i not caught my error. My FMC predicts a landing with 8700 pounds remaining. Glad to have caught my error lol.

Just went over Eagar AZ and holy cow!!! I had a sudden wall of turbulence that dropped me more than 2000 FEET in about 2.5 seconds!! Also saw some snow below me in near full moonlight. Very pretty.

im nearing descent into Vegas, im 120NM out from Vegas. Im hearing ATC for flights. Cool, i fly with live traffic. I hear 2 flights: JBU2924 and AAL28. Real flights. Over MICHIGAN. Not Nevada or New Mexico….

I worry about the AI in msfs… is it ok? Does it need a hug?

Can I have a hug?

descending FL220

Edited by AlamoVampire

On 11/27/2023 at 6:45 AM, StrandedonEarth said:
On 11/27/2023 at 5:45 AM, GDJ said:

My birthday today. I made 53 rotations around the Sun.

Oh hey, join the club, I turned 53 back in September!

More than cards in a poker pack. Two jokers began.
Then will be the turn of the Major Arcana.

Less than 5 minutes from posting this, a wasp landed on my head and moved to my face. I had no idea until it walked on my eye! thankfully, it didn't sting me

also some local idiot was all like hey theres a bee on your head after that, so that sucks. 

My team's robot completely crapped out... the night before competition.

"Anything that can go wrong will go wrong, and at the worst possible time".

Thankfully, we fixed it just in time with some Boy Scout torture.  (The robot uses lots of string and knots, which Boy Scouts are great at).

Here's hoping the fixes will work through comp.

Thought I'd get into model building, decided to order a 1/700 scale "Shinano" since it's one of my personal favorite aircraft carriers. I'll fully admit that I'm probably going to butcher it but I'm gonna give it my best shot. Does anyone have any tips for building something like this?

Japanese Navy Aircraft Carrier Shinano Special Specification (Concrete –  Supernova Models

Back in the late 80s, a bunch of us who decided to full-time it in our college town (as opposed to being 'tourists' who went home every break) got together for Thanksgiving in a group we dubbed 'The Orphans Club'.  Basically a bunch of kids who didn't go home and made do, together.  Loads of fun.  Everyone brought something or made something.  It was great. 

A few years ago, my wife's college buddies started getting back together again, annually, for FriendsGiving.  Same idea - except we now leave the kids at home and the adults all get together. 

So much better than trying to entertain the in-laws! 

At an U18 out of town hockey tournament. Last night, Must-win game, down 1-0. My wife says she has to go to the bathroom, so they can score while she’s gone, and sure enough we tie the game. Later, still tied, we get a power play so I tell her to go to the bathroom again. Go-ahead goal! Other parents around us are lmao at this point. So later I go to the bathroom cuz that’s when our kid scores. I’m told he had a glorious chance, and his line did score by the time I came back. Parents around us are howling by this point. 

This morning we won the semi-final and we didn’t even have to go to the bathroom at all!!! Currently marking time until the final game, so we can  do the three hour dark and freezing drive home after. 

18 hours ago, Minmus Taster said:

Thought I'd get into model building, decided to order a 1/700 scale "Shinano" since it's one of my personal favorite aircraft carriers. I'll fully admit that I'm probably going to butcher it but I'm gonna give it my best shot. Does anyone have any tips for building something like this?

Japanese Navy Aircraft Carrier Shinano Special Specification (Concrete –  Supernova Models

I have a 1/700 Zuikaku that I built about 8 years ago.

My advice would be to get something like Tamiya Mark Fit for the decals. In the event that you plan to display without a case, but possibly even with a case, the decals could chip over time if they aren’t protected by a substance like mark fit. Especially if the deck is uneven (Zuikaku’s is made of wood so it had that detailing, I’m not sure if Shinano is or not).

Also, be sure to buy a variety of different sized paint brushes and masking tape. I free handed my Zuikaku’s deck (which came in one piece) which had grey lining the wood. It turned out alright, but if you don’t have steady hands or want it to look more near you might want to use masking tape. Just note this would probably increase the time to paint it because you would have to go section by section masking off stuff. You would probably want to paint the edges first and then cover them up and paint the deck colors.

Another thing is I do advise getting a display case even with using mark fit to protect the decals. My Zuikaku has dust in some places I won’t be able to effectively get it out because of leaving it to sit bare on display for too long.

And finally, if you are interested in getting 1/700 airplanes like Tamiya sells (they have these packs of like 4-6 each of late war planes like D4Ys, B6Ns, A6M5s, and the like available), and if you have a steady hand, I recommend trying to paint the roundels on instead of using the little decals they give you. The small decals have big surrounding clear edges and don’t look very good. If you can’t do this, try using mark fit and see if that helps.

Good luck! You should post the results in the forum when you finish! In fact I’m actually probably going to make a modeling thread tonight and showcase some of my stuff now that I think about.

Thank you all for the likes and the birthday posts. Sorry I've been tardy in my return likes and such. Still working 60 hr/week and building the new rig.

Final build:

ASUS TUF Gaming Z790 plus WIFI motherboard, LGA1700 socket
Intel i3-13100 CPU (yeah weird combination I know)
Kingston Fury DDR5 5200MT/sec RAM (64 gigs of it.)
Corsair 1000 watt power supply, fully modular
Samsung 870 EVO SATA 3 drive (leftover from old system), 500 GB
CyberpowerPC case (pawn shop buy.  Came with a AIO water cooler and 6 fans)

Last thing to purchase:

Graphics card (probably a intel ARC 770)

I think I'm ready for Kerbal Space Program 2.

EDIT: As the system is currently running Intel HD730 graphics it runs KSP1 excellently. Most of the graphics are maxed out and it still has a decent frame rate (40+). With the ARC 770 it will probably do whatever the game requires of it.  Kerbin really does look nice........Jool has beautiful cloud formations........I like the trees......:D

Edited by GDJ

2 hours ago, Nuke said:

december 7, 1941, a date which will live in infamy

december 7, 2023, a date which i will watch 'tora! tora! tora!' on the movie screen upstairs. 

That was one of my dad's favorite movies. I remember when I was in grade school he found out that the filming miniatures were going to be on display at a gun show out in Riverside, an hour and a half drive away. We drove all the way out there just to see them.

9 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

Tidbit: the guys running from the burning P-40 were not acting. It was radio controlled, got squirrely, and nearly took out a couple of the extras, who sprinted for their lives. 

There are at least two scenes where people run from a burning P-40 so although I read about this on Wikipedia, I was never able to figure out which scene it actually was.