KSP2 Hype Train Thread

7 minutes ago, Minmus Taster said:

A little part of me died in there.

Haha yeah its new and there’s a lot of weird happening. I don’t envy the mod team. Im a firm believer in good culture so I don’t mind checking in when they aren’t bickering about Kerbal reproduction. Definitely a different vibe. 

Edited by Pthigrivi

On 1/18/2023 at 4:56 PM, ArmchairGravy said:

Bah, you weren't planning on buying a new rig so you can run the new game with All The Mods? I'm beginning to doubt your commitment to sparkle motion.

You joke but I'm literally building a new high-end PC in the first week of February.  It's not just for KSP2 but the date I decided to build it was decided by KSP2.

2 hours ago, Minmus Taster said:

That place is the chaos you get when a rocket hits the astronaut complex :P 

File:Walt Kerman portrait.01.png

Fitting image of Walt Kerman, head of PR at the KSC.

Walt putting his hazmat suit to good use :joy:

Haven't tried to go to the discord myself yet, but from what I'm hearing I think it would be best to wait

I've found in my personal experience that Discord tends to kill communities rather than help them. I suspect part of it is due to rapid fire communication, rather than forcing people to take a step back and actually read what they're writing. Whatever the case, I do know that Discord is a lot more appealing to many people than forums are... I really hope the forums don't die because Discord exists.

2 hours ago, MechBFP said:

The abhorrent amount of aliasing in all their screenshots should be receiving a thousand times more scrutiny than this is because there is no alternative explanation to that other than the game is so under baked at the moment that we are going to get a lethal dose of salmonella on Feb 24th. 

Or, y'know, they just haven't turned on the AA. Maybe they have the game on minimum settings to show how it looks, or maybe it's for compression reasons(these videos are getting posted to ticktok and twitter, both of which try to rely on smaller bitrates.)

Personally, I think you're being a bit nihilistic about this.

We're a (mostly) peaceful, patient community, we're playing a game of waiting, in a setting where there's literally nothing for millions of kilometers around our ship. Of course the forum works for us, discord is just the opposite of all that.

The Discord is fine. You just have to focus on the channels that interest you, and rightclick->mute the rest. Particularly everything under "The Lounge" :P

95% of what I've seen in the #ksp2-general channel for example is rehashes from the main couple discussion threads here, talking about multiplayer, the pricing of early access, the rumored new planet, counting down the days, and so on and so forth. In other words, it's no different from here at all.

If there is aimless chatter, then I feel like it's due to the game not being out yet. What else are people going to do but chatter aimlessly? Once EA drops, it's going to get a lot more focused.

On 1/12/2023 at 3:51 AM, Vl3d said:

Sorry, but that doesn't seem right to me. I think there's another meaning.

Perhaps they're other star systems? Two of them to visit when the interstellar update arrives?

One's a red dwarf (bit too purple, I know), the other is a yellow dwarf?

25 minutes ago, intelliCom said:

Perhaps they're other star systems? Two of them to visit when the interstellar update arrives?

One's a red dwarf (bit too purple, I know), the other is a yellow dwarf?

I think it's pretty much accepted at this point that they are the planets of the Kerboler system.  There's nothing else they could be really. 

Courtesy of @K^2 (Spoilers for anyone who hasn't seen the arch)

Spoiler

image.png

From left to right:
Moho, Kerbol, Eve + Gilly, Duna + Ike, Jool + Laythe + Vall + Tylo + Bop + Pol.

Edited by GoldForest

17 hours ago, Pthigrivi said:

Dicey little landing clip :)  Some said Vall but maybe Minmus?

I'm sure this has been said before, but it really does look like those landing legs are adjusting themselves to compensate for the slope.

We could do that in KSP1 by manually adjusting the 'tension' in the Landing legs. It'd be neat if we had this as an automatic option in KSP2.

6 hours ago, Missingno200 said:

I've found in my personal experience that Discord tends to kill communities rather than help them. I suspect part of it is due to rapid fire communication, rather than forcing people to take a step back and actually read what they're writing. Whatever the case, I do know that Discord is a lot more appealing to many people than forums are... I really hope the forums don't die because Discord exists.

I’ve found Discord to be very useful for small groups of people who know each other and who have a game in common.   I use Discord to provide in-game voice chat for the local Go club, and to organize an RPG I run for my nephews and a couple of their friends.

I doubt I’ll check out the Discord unless it becomes part of the official process: bug reporting or some such.  In fact, I plan on not coming here for a few weeks after EA.  I want to rediscover the Kerbolar system and possibly Planet 8 spoiler-free.  COMPLETELY SPOILER FREE I HAVE A VERY PARTICULAR SET OF SKILLS

7 hours ago, Missingno200 said:

Or, y'know, they just haven't turned on the AA. Maybe they have the game on minimum settings to show how it looks, or maybe it's for compression reasons(these videos are getting posted to ticktok and twitter, both of which try to rely on smaller bitrates.)

Have you ever seen any game advertise itself using the worst settings possible on purpose? That is not rhetorical, I am legitimately curious if that is something you have seen before. 

10 hours ago, MechBFP said:

There could be numerous reasons why the appearance of a lack of atmospheric scattering is present. From gameplay reasons,  to multiplayer performance issues, to artistic direction choices.  
The abhorrent amount of aliasing in all their screenshots should be receiving a thousand times more scrutiny than this is because there is no alternative explanation to that other than the game is so under baked at the moment that we are going to get a lethal dose of salmonella on Feb 24th. 
I hope that isn’t true but… I am preparing for the worst. 

I'm expecting a disaster to be honest. 

22 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

Funny how it went from alpha and then beta hype to people predicting apocalypse in few weeks of increased marketing.

Well, they did seem to go from Pre-alpha, to Alpha, to Beta within those 2 to 3 weeks. Of course, we don't know how long they actually spent in the Alpha phase. Rapid progress is good, but also a little worrying. Are they rushing to get KSP 2 out the door? Or are they genuinely just doing that good that they didn't really need an Alpha phase, or just needed a short Alpha phase? I'd like to believe it's the latter. 

In either case we'll figure out in (82/2)+2 days.

3 hours ago, stephensmat said:

I'm sure this has been said before, but it really does look like those landing legs are adjusting themselves to compensate for the slope.

We could do that in KSP1 by manually adjusting the 'tension' in the Landing legs. It'd be neat if we had this as an automatic option in KSP2.

I'm not sure I'm seeing what you are. 

If I understand you - I would expect to see the uphill legs flex more than the downhill to try and get the nose over the COM (craft more vertical) 

Instead, after the landing it looks like the legs are all at the same general level of flex and the craft is perpendicular to the surface the legs touch. 

2 hours ago, MechBFP said:

Have you ever seen any game advertise itself using the worst settings possible on purpose? That is not rhetorical, I am legitimately curious if that is something you have seen before. 

Remember, the game only is releasing in Early Access, hopefully the developers would overhaul the graphics in later updates. If not, there’s probably going to be a billion visual mods that do what you’re looking for.

1 hour ago, The Aziz said:

Funny how it went from alpha and then beta hype to people predicting apocalypse in few weeks of increased marketing.

I’ve been more than happy to give them the benefit of the doubt despite the multiple delays, etc, but that good will only extends so far and what they have shown so far is very, VERY, unusual and that is concerning. 

If I had to wager a guess the reason why they aren’t cranking up all the settings in the promotional material is one of three things:

1) The settings simply don’t exist (yet?) and that is the highest quality at this point in time.

2) The performance on the highest settings is going to be terrible during the initial release so they aren’t advertising it that way since 90% of the player base won’t be able to run it that way. 

3) The person creating the promotional material doesn’t realize they don’t have the settings set correctly and it has literally gone unnoticed by everyone in the company somehow. <— See what I mean by extending good will?

15 minutes ago, MechBFP said:

1) The settings simply don’t exist (yet?) and that is the highest quality at this point in time.

2) The performance on the highest settings is going to be terrible during the initial release so they aren’t advertising it that way since 90% of the player base won’t be able to run it that way. 

3) The person creating the promotional material doesn’t realize they don’t have the settings set correctly and it has literally gone unnoticed by everyone in the company somehow. <— See what I mean by extending good will?

You're forgetting the answer that the devs already gave us; different builds of the game :)

I also hear it was probably shot from the unity editor, another likely possibility.

Edited by Bej Kerman

14 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

You're forgetting the answer that the devs already gave us; different builds of the game :)

I also hear it was probably shot from the unity editor, another likely possibility.

Just calling it a certain build doesn't change anything. The devs are not your friends. They are selling us a product. It doesnt matter what state the game is at launch anyway. They will use early access as an excuse for it and thats why I am considering if I am going to get it on day one. Early access for a single player game with a major publisher behind them in unacceptable imo. Take two should pay for it and then sell us the finished game. Then people are aware what they are paying for.  

Sorry I don't want to be all negative but I do not like it when people start defending developers that have never sold them an actual game. And lets face the facts. So far they have not had the best track record when it comes to their words and their actions. 

Just now, dave1904 said:

Just calling it a certain build doesn't change anything. The devs are not your friends. They are selling us a product. It doesnt matter what state the game is at launch anyway. They will use early access as an excuse for it and thats why I am considering if I am going to get it on day one. Early access for a single player game with a major publisher behind them in unacceptable imo. Take two should pay for it and then sell us the finished game. Then people are aware what they are paying for.  

Sorry I don't want to be all negative but I do not like it when people start defending developers that have never sold them an actual game. And lets face the facts. So far they have not had the best track record when it comes to their words and their actions. 

Doesn't change what I said. Atmospheric scattering exists in other screenshots as do many other things, so it must be running from the Unity editor.

18 minutes ago, dave1904 said:

I just think given all the complex new systems they’re adding staging new features in and getting feedback on each step is pretty smart. If thats not your jam by all means wait till you’re comfortable. I personally loved being involved and giving feedback in KSP1s early development so Im psyched. 

Just now, Pthigrivi said:

I just think given all the complex new systems they’re adding staging new features in and getting feedback on each step is pretty smart. If thats not your jam by all means wait till you’re comfortable. I personally loved being involved and giving feedback in KSP1s early development so Im psyched. 

What complex new systems are coming out on day 1 of early access? From what I see its KSP 1 sandbox with different visuals.