KSP2 Hype Train Thread

8 minutes ago, dave1904 said:

What complex new systems are coming out on day 1 of early access? From what I see its KSP 1 sandbox with different visuals. 

Well the UI has been completely overhauled, procedural wings and other parts added, planets surfaces are all rebuilt, acceleration under timewarp is new. What I mean though are complex new systems like colonies, interstellar, new progression mechanics, much more in depth resource systems are being spread out and introduced piece by piece so there’s time to really refine and get community feedback on each part. 

3 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

If not manipulated - then my 'weight of the milk left in the carton' guess was solid. 

He could just be trolling us with a status update or a renamed exe file. 

Also, Danny2462 is in the server now... things are going to get crazy when KSP 2 launches. 

1 hour ago, dave1904 said:

What complex new systems are coming out on day 1 of early access? From what I see its KSP 1 sandbox with different visuals. 

Oh, we get that a lot. Typically from people who don't factor in the new codebase, the optimization that the devs have painstakingly explained in their dev diaries, the basic QOL changes like improved maneuver nodes, etc.

Um.

Steam's graphic for EA looks different to me.

Kerbal Space Program 2 on Steam (steampowered.com)

Like... they're calling EA only one step on the roadmap; the first step.  Science (which I thought would be a stage in EA) now looks like it's own thing... ala once 'Science' drops, EA has ended.

My first impression from the announcement was:

EARLY ACCESS

Sandbox -> Science -> Colonies -> Interstellar -> etc.

Now the graphic looks (to me) like it describes the rollout of the game thusly:

1. Early Access

2. Science

3. Colonies

4. Interstellar

Under this interpretation - EA is a stage, distinct from Science.  Like, Science and Colonies and etc. are not features of EA but distinct rollouts.  So EA ends when Science begins.

Anyone else see what I mean?

Was it always this way - or did the graphic change?

I compared it to the official page - and again; it looks like Early Access is only Sandbox  Kerbal Space Program 2 on Steam (steampowered.com)

EDIT - Okay; I went and looked at videos from back then, and it looks like the graphic is the same - but I've been reading it wrong.  Science comes after EA, rather than being a part of EA.  (Or at least that's how I decypher the graphic)  If I'm correct, this could impact the EA 'discount period'; meaning EA gets the discount but when Science rolls, the retail pricing may be in effect.

Edited by JoeSchmuckatelli

Just now, Bej Kerman said:

yes

I'm having difficulty with this - because my 'new' graphic interpretation doesn't mesh with the FAQ text:

The 1.0 version of KSP 2 will include significantly more features than the Early Access version, such as what you see on the roadmap plus other items added along the way. This includes:

· More parts and the opportunity for more creative builds

· More star systems and hidden anomalies

· Improved quality of life and onboarding to open up the vast beauty of space to even more players

· Continued performance improvements and visual updates

We can’t wait for you to join us on this journey into the stars!

The FAQ suggests my first impressions were correct

1 minute ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

I'm having difficulty with this - because my 'new' graphic interpretation doesn't mesh with the FAQ text:

Yeah EA doesn't end with "Science"-Update. It ends with 1.0, which is past "multiplayer"

7 hours ago, MechBFP said:

Have you ever seen any game advertise itself using the worst settings possible on purpose?

I can't think of any using the worst settings possible off of the top of my head, HOWEVER the ROBLOX TV advertisement from 2010-ish used the default settings, rather than tweaking the settings that were accessible in ROBLOX Studio's settings. They could've gotten a whole lot more out of it had they tweaked the settings, green screen skyboxes aside. So, not quite "worst settings possible", but it isn't "best settings possible available to the developers" or even "best settings available to the player" either.

Edited by Missingno200
I forgot that ROBLOX had a whole load of developer exclusive shaders they didn't use for the TV ad.

6 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

You're forgetting the answer that the devs already gave us; different builds of the game :)

I also hear it was probably shot from the unity editor, another likely possibility.

Well you’re not wrong, that is a possibility too, but using an outdated or incomplete version of the game to create screenshots that they are posting onto the various sales platforms seems like a really, really, dumb thing to do so I figured I would give them more credit than that. 

Edited by MechBFP

36 minutes ago, Stephensan said:

also no idea if these have been posted.. 

(Pictures on Imgur)

highest res i have seen,

Aliasing aside, those look pretty darn good. Were these on Steam or where were they posted?

20 minutes ago, MechBFP said:

... but using an outdated or incomplete version of the game to create screenshots that they are posting onto the various sales platforms seems like a really, really, dumb thing...

Tell me you don't look at how Valve games are marketed without telling me that you don't look at how Valve games are marketed :P

On a serious note, this is surprisingly common. It's gotten less common over the years, but game boxes used to almost ALWAYS contain screenshots from an earlier version of the game. Command and Conquer Generals has screenshots what appear to be just a little bit after the E3 reveal, featuring a red GLA with a prototype Scorpion tank meant for China back when China was green and hit n' run.

In terms of Steam, Valve's Team Fortress 2 still has screenshots from the era where they just recreated Team Fortress Classic in Source. Counterstrike 1.6 shows screenshots of the game from before 1.4, AND 1.4 was way before Steam itself!

Edited by Missingno200
Added a line break for readability reasons.

3 minutes ago, Missingno200 said:

Aliasing aside, those look pretty darn good. Were these on Steam or where were they posted?

Tell me you don't look at how Valve games are marketed without telling me that you don't look at how Valve games are marketed :P

On a serious note, this is surprisingly common. It's gotten less common over the years, but game boxes used to almost ALWAYS contain screenshots from an earlier version of the game. Command and Conquer Generals has screenshots what appear to be just a little bit after the E3 reveal, featuring a red GLA with a prototype Scorpion tank meant for China back when China was green and hit n' run. Valve's Team Fortress 2 still has screenshots from the era where they just recreated Team Fortress Classic in Source. Counterstrike 1.6 shows screenshots of the game from before 1.4, AND 1.4 was way before Steam itself!

These were from the Intercept Games Discord, in the KSP-2 Section, in #ksp2-screenshots... Posted by Nerdy_Mike#1690 Posted 1/20/23 on at 13:52 at (GMT-6)

12 hours ago, GoldForest said:

I think it's pretty much accepted at this point that they are the planets of the Kerboler system.  There's nothing else they could be really. 

Courtesy of @K^2 (Spoilers for anyone who hasn't seen the arch)

Hide contents

image.png

From left to right:
Moho, Kerbol, Eve + Gilly, Duna + Ike, Jool + Laythe + Vall + Tylo + Bop + Pol.

Oh, that's new to me. So if the arch were more complete, Kerbin should be somewhere on the left side?

4 hours ago, intelliCom said:

Oh, that's new to me. So if the arch were more complete, Kerbin should be somewhere on the left side?

That's the belief, yes. 

When complete it should look something like:

Eeloo, Dres, Kerbin, Moho, Kerbol, Eve, Duna, Jool, (Possibly planet 8)

Potential discovery that may calm some nerves: In a lot of the pictures where people say there isn't any atmospheric scattering, I think there actually is, it's just very faint. For example, in the new batch of pictures from discord, if you look in the top right corner of the shot looking down at the space center, you can see that the ground is tinted faintly blue. Additionally, in the picture from the steam page of the huge 8 engine plane over mountains, if you look very carefully at the mountains on the horizon (particularly on the left side) you can see that the mountains further away are more washed out than mountains closer to the camera. It's very faint and subtle.

IDK why they would seemingly turn atmospheric scattering all the way down, but I do believe it's still there.

19 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

Oh, we get that a lot. Typically from people who don't factor in the new codebase, the optimization that the devs have painstakingly explained in their dev diaries, the basic QOL changes like improved maneuver nodes, etc.

I factor in those things but they dont change anything. If the game is not performing well they are well aware of that and do not need us to tell them. The new features are things they knew we wanted from KSP 1 so they are aware of what we want. Early access is a way to make money and an excuse to release an incomplete game. Unacceptable and people defending developers with large publishers behind them are exactly why we have so many incomplete and broken games being released. They told us they were releasing a feature complete game. I expect them to do so and the fact that we have early access is another sign that things are not going to plan and thats always a very bad thing. 

Another big issue with early access is dlc. They release 1.0 in 1 or 10 years and then some dlc a month later. Half the community will go insane that they payed for the development of the DLC.