KSP2 Hype Train Thread

3 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

Over 20 minutes, that's a lot of information to process. And add to the repo.

It's a lot of just regurgitation tbh. There's some new info, like I mentioned on the previous page. Colonies need to be transported as whole modules to the planet or orbit, colonies behave like real parts, build too high and it will tumble, Kraken isn't dead/slain and performance increase.

1 hour ago, GoldForest said:

It's a lot of just regurgitation tbh. There's some new info, like I mentioned on the previous page. Colonies need to be transported as whole modules to the planet or orbit, colonies behave like real parts, build too high and it will tumble, Kraken isn't dead/slain and performance increase.

There's also the really interesting notion of cooperative workspaces that Nate mentions, and being able to merge designs together and send designs to your friend's workspaces.  :0 

Another important thing Nate mentioned is that the liquid hydrogen fuel, because of its low density, will create storage challenges and will require big tanks (high volume). I wonder if this is a reference to boil-off.

26 minutes ago, Vl3d said:

Another important thing Nate mentioned is that the liquid hydrogen fuel, because of its low density, will create storage challenges and will require big tanks (high volume). I wonder if this is a reference to boil-off.

Legit the first thing I thought of when I heard that was how SLS had been scrubbed multiple times recently due to LH2 valve leaks

9 hours ago, Xelo said:

There's also the really interesting notion of cooperative workspaces that Nate mentions, and being able to merge designs together and send designs to your friend's workspaces.  :0 

I don't remember hearing that. Might have missed it. 

Of course, you could always save your craft file and send it to your friend ib KSP 1.

Edit: Went back and listened again. Huh, that is very interesting.

Edited by GoldForest

So, I didn't see or find a topic asking what everyone wants to see in KSP2, even though I know one has to exist somewhere (and where I've probably posted at some point).  So lacking the ability to find that this morning, I'm posting this here.

One thing I really dislike about KSP1 is the complete inability to find smooth terrain to land on, whether that's on Mun, Duna, Laythe, or even back on Kerbin.  We have the ability to planet-hop at will...but we can't scan the surface and find a decent, flat spot to land on?  It's all guesswork in spite of the computing power?  Are you honestly telling me that there is nothing available in the technology Kerbals have come up with to find a nice spot to set up for a picnic?  This bothers me to no end.

With that said, I hope that in KSP2 we get the ability to scan the surface of a celestial body and get a list of possible landing sites.  No more landing sideways, or on an incline.  No more guessing if you'll hit land or water.  Even the most basic of landers in the early days of Earth spaceflight had the ability to look out the cockpit windows and go "Yeah, that looks pretty flat there".  And if this isn't in the base game, I sure hope someone builds a mod for it.

Ok, I'll get off my soapbox now!

11 minutes ago, Scarecrow71 said:

So, I didn't see or find a topic asking what everyone wants to see in KSP2, even though I know one has to exist somewhere (and where I've probably posted at some point).  So lacking the ability to find that this morning, I'm posting this here.

One thing I really dislike about KSP1 is the complete inability to find smooth terrain to land on, whether that's on Mun, Duna, Laythe, or even back on Kerbin.  We have the ability to planet-hop at will...but we can't scan the surface and find a decent, flat spot to land on?  It's all guesswork in spite of the computing power?  Are you honestly telling me that there is nothing available in the technology Kerbals have come up with to find a nice spot to set up for a picnic?  This bothers me to no end.

With that said, I hope that in KSP2 we get the ability to scan the surface of a celestial body and get a list of possible landing sites.  No more landing sideways, or on an incline.  No more guessing if you'll hit land or water.  Even the most basic of landers in the early days of Earth spaceflight had the ability to look out the cockpit windows and go "Yeah, that looks pretty flat there".  And if this isn't in the base game, I sure hope someone builds a mod for it.

Ok, I'll get off my soapbox now!

That would be brilliant.

It's maybe a bit silly, but from everything we've seen so far, the thing I'm most looking forward to is the new wheels / suspension. The vehicles we've seen driving and bouncing along have looked really good.

The other thing is that the rockets / ships we've seen look pretty good as well? It seems like it'll be easier to make something that looks cool.

1 hour ago, Scarecrow71 said:

Though I hope thats comes into the game, I would like for you to unlock it only after your first landing on Duna or so. However annoying, it can be really exhilarating to dodge hills and rocks as you’re landing. You not really going to get that if you know where all of the perfectly smooth parts of the planet are. 

On 11/23/2022 at 10:37 AM, GoldForest said:

-The Nerv engine now uses liquid hydrogen and has a new big brother called "Serv"

I think this is just the NERVUS engine but renamed, Im guessing they didnt go with the community name for liability reasons or something similar, seems weird for there to be two mark 2 nuclear thermal engines to where you have a boring one and a way more mechanically interesting one. 

23 hours ago, Vl3d said:

I think the storage problem there is the  low density, the yellow naked fuel tanks are likely the tanks for liquid hydrogen. The difficulty there will be without orbital construction transporting the volume for the liquid hydrogen tanks will just naturally be difficult.

8 hours ago, Strawberry said:

I think this is just the NERVUS engine but renamed, Im guessing they didnt go with the community name for liability reasons or something similar, seems weird for there to be two mark 2 nuclear thermal engines to where you have a boring one and a way more mechanically interesting one. 

The Swerve engine is a bigger Nerv engine, more powerful and more efficient engine. It's not just a clone. And I think we've already seen it. 

14 hours ago, BowlerHatGuy3 said:

Though I hope thats comes into the game, I would like for you to unlock it only after your first landing on Duna or so. However annoying, it can be really exhilarating to dodge hills and rocks as you’re landing. You not really going to get that if you know where all of the perfectly smooth parts of the planet are. 

That would make a lot of sense. If you had like a mission review type thing, you could see the Kerbals saying "that landing was pretty hairy, maybe we could do with something to identify areas more suitable for setting down?". So the scanner would come into play to fix an identified need? If you never have a hairy landing, you don't get it.

3 hours ago, GoldForest said:

The Swerve engine is a bigger Nerv engine, more powerful and more efficient engine. It's not just a clone. And I think we've already seen it. 

Yes it 2.5 meter baseplate as I understand and it has two new features, its bipolar that it you can add oxygen for more trust, think afterburner. And you can extend the nozzle, with the nozzle retracted it works as an atmospheric engine. 
Hopefully the two options are independent. 

The old 1.25 meter LV-N is still in the game for then you don't need an so large engine. 

10 hours ago, GoldForest said:

I think you're missing some context to get what Im saying, that engine was officially named as NERVUS after a suggestion on that thread

I do think that the engine shown is the SWERV engine, and they just renamed it, as it seems weird for there to be two nuclear thermal rockets of the same size where one is just NERV but tweakscaled and the other one is one with unique afterburning and nozzle mechanics, as the former will just be forgotten as the latter is way more versatile to use. 

13 minutes ago, Strawberry said:

I think you're missing some context to get what Im saying, that engine was officially named as NERVUS after a suggestion on that thread

I do think that the engine shown is the SWERV engine, and they just renamed it, as it seems weird for there to be two nuclear thermal rockets of the same size where one is just NERV but tweakscaled and the other one is one with unique afterburning and nozzle mechanics, as the former will just be forgotten as the latter is way more versatile to use. 

Ah, must have missed that show and tell.

Hmmm. We'll have to wait and see if there are 2 or 3 nuclear engines on game to know for sure.

On 11/24/2022 at 8:12 AM, Scarecrow71 said:

I feel like the narrow band scanner has that functionality? IDK maybe I'm misremembering.