KSP2 Release Notes - Update v0.1.2.0

Intercept Games

45 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

Why would you need to vary your throttle input, except at the very start and end?

Because he wants to AND it was something you could do in KSP1?

Just a full throttle simulator without it and removes yet more fun from the game. If you're happy with it then game on but don't expect everyone else to be equally as ecstatic. 

1 hour ago, Bej Kerman said:

Why would you need to vary your throttle input, except at the very start and end?

Small/short maneuvers with powerful engines. With full throttle you risk overshooting, when you fiddle with throttle manually you can set it up to comfortable burn rate.

1 hour ago, Bej Kerman said:

I remember one of my 800 tonnes exploration ships in KSP1 (assembled in Kerbal orbit with like 7 or 8 launches), where I failed design by putting one of the docking ports too close to the body, so one lander couldn't be attached where it was designed to. I really didn't want to repeat the process with only one part moved a little. I instead docked the lander into other port. As a result I had thrust misaligned wit CoM, and reaction wheels couldn't keep the course with engines fully firing. But I was able to make the manouver with about 40% power.

15 hours ago, Streetwind said:

Some very pleasing developments on the performance front.

I mean, it is immediately, visually obvious how the extra performance is obtained when you play on low settings. The reduction in visual fidelity is very significant.

...But then again, that is precisely what "low settings" are for. Previously, they barely did anything. Now they do a lot. And the impact on video memory is dramatic. Previously, even 1080p on low settings was all but maxing out an 8GB buffer; now, I encountered some situations where it only needed ~5. This disables the brutal memory bottleneck that made a bunch of perfectly serviceable video cards with 6GB VRAM borderline unplayable at any resolution.

I'm seeing FPS gains of 50% and more, depending on the scene. Heck, I can switch up to 1440p and get slightly more FPS than I got on 1080p before, and because that's my native resolution, the image is no longer blurry from interpolation.

Perhaps someone else can comment on performance differences at medium or high settings - I'm still stuck on old hardware for now, pending a full new PC build in the next month or two :P But I can guarantee that a lot of people with low-end hardware will appreciate these changes.

Although I really appreciate the very long list of bugs that have been fixed, from which I can certainly say they are 'game breaking' in a good sense creating a better KSP2, it looks like not only the low end side has had their graphics toned down. 

I can understand as to why they did so because it's gets a huge boost in performance for lower end machines, but on high settings the loading distance of trees is horendous, when flying around the KSC the trees pop up and go and the forests in the near distance are gone, the speed at which thje trees pop up and dissapear makes a nervous picture and with the anti aliasing lines are dancing around the screen.  Also the texture remaining when the trees are gone are bad looking. The small loading distance is focused mainly around the KSC terrain, it does not seem to have had an effect on other terrains loading distances for trees and such.

The performance took a right turn, but to me for higher end machines an 'ultra' setting for loading distance would be very much appreciated to get the better looking imgage quality of the KSC and its surroundings back.

This is 'high' settings 5120x1440 on 0.1.2.0

8eb692c8-5808-4344-b88a-a4398bc96c22.jpg

5cb3b118-706a-45f2-80c7-155e519f7753.jpg

baa77f7c-8685-4d1e-a8cc-326c15f83bd5.jpg

Also, first we had the 'warp time' bar in the screenshots, now its 'game paused'...

Edited by LoSBoL

10 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

In that case, would you not just ignore the timer?

I consult both in those scenarios. Point being, if KSP1 could do it, this one should too. Given we have interstellar stuff ahead, these things should be even more precise.

15 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

In that case, would you not just ignore the timer?

I do. But that's why I want to see a "remaining dV" counter.

We already have the dV required at start on top. Why does this not decrease during execution of the maneuver? As soon as I have started burning, I no longer care what the initial dV requirement was. I need to know how much I still got ahead of me.

10 hours ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

That's the thing.

We don't hate it.

Also - its a forum.  We express.

In your case, that’s pretty obvious.  There’s a big difference between useful, constructive criticism coming from people who obviously appreciate the game and want it to reach its full potential (people like you, for clarity), and toxic entitled contemptible gamerwhinging.  Cheers.

13 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

Why did you just copy patch notes that are already present on the forum?

I asked for your opinion on the bug fixes not on why i borrowed the patch notes. Some other people have already made threads giving their opinion so im doing the same, just adding the patch notes for emphasis on the great job they did.

14 hours ago, The Aziz said:

You finish, you close it since you don't need it anymore

Whoops - forgot that!  It just fell into my general peeve / desire to scale UI elements. 

I do like the improved functionality, tho! 

4 hours ago, Luminaescape said:

I don't know which kind of magic the developers did, but KSP2 used to run at 1.5fps on my laptop, and now it's running at 20+ fps (at ground level).

So a big THANK YOU to every member of the team, i can now play the game while i wait for my desktop to be fixed!

I wish KSP2 would become more popular, so everyone could feel the joy this simulator has to offer!

Love y'all :heart_eyes::vallove:

You should repost this as an OP in the Discussion thread - other folks with similar specs / setup who are interested but leery about the performance might like to know! 

14 minutes ago, Dunas Only Moon said:

the only purpose of the updates is to make sure that the game is playable, so @Nate Simpson does need some praise for giving us so many bug fixes.

by the way the bugs are getting removed. and fast, so lets be happy for these quick, big updates

Even better, the patch 3 might drop by end of April given the 3 week interval between Patch 1 and 2. And who knows, maybe there's heating!

3 hours ago, The Aziz said:

Small/short maneuvers with powerful engines. With full throttle you risk overshooting, when you fiddle with throttle manually you can set it up to comfortable burn rate.

If you want to perform a maneuver with less than 100% engine power, best thing to do is adjust the engine thrust limiter in part manager. The maneuver planner will actually take this into account (it'll still assume you'll set the throttle to 100%).

3 hours ago, LoSBoL said:

Although I really appreciate the very long list of bugs that have been fixed, from which I can certainly say they are 'game breaking' in a good sense creating a better KSP2, it looks like not only the low end side has had their graphics toned down. 

I can understand as to why they did so because it's gets a huge boost in performance for lower end machines, but on high settings the loading distance of trees is horendous, when flying around the KSC the trees pop up and go and the forests in the near distance are gone, the speed at which thje trees pop up and dissapear makes a nervous picture and with the anti aliasing lines are dancing around the screen.  Also the texture remaining when the trees are gone are bad looking. The small loading distance is focused mainly around the KSC terrain, it does not seem to have had an effect on other terrains loading distances for trees and such.

The performance took a right turn, but to me for higher end machines an 'ultra' setting for loading distance would be very much appreciated to get the better looking imgage quality of the KSC and its surroundings back.

This is 'high' settings 5120x1440 on 0.1.2.0

Also, first we had the 'warp time' bar in the screenshots, now its 'game paused'...

Thanks!

I'm glad it isn't just me with this experience. I also noticed a change in graphics on high settings, made the game look worse! :( 

Edited by Ferio

10 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

Meh, more work, less precise. Workaround for a problem that shouldn't exist.

I'm a little unclear what the problem is, is it that you have no remaining dV display?

2 hours ago, ShadowZone said:

I do. But that's why I want to see a "remaining dV" counter.

We already have the dV required at start on top. Why does this not decrease during execution of the maneuver? As soon as I have started burning, I no longer care what the initial dV requirement was. I need to know how much I still got ahead of me.

5 hours ago, ShadowZone said:

I agree with everyone else here that the "Cannot plan a maneuver that exceeds available fuel" thing needs to go.

These two points are critical to enjoying the stock game. Once the "I launched my first rocket!" missions wear off, more complex missions require the ability to plan multiple maneuver nodes in succession along a flight path regardless if we have the delta-V to do it. Gravity-assists and rendezvous' with other craft all need the flexibility to plan beyond ones' means. Besides, are we really going to trust the limit is accurate? Ehm, no.

And the dV reading not counting-down is like the gas needle in your car always reading full. "Yep, you filled up! Yay! Oh, how much is left? Well.. how far did you drive and how many times did you stop at the drive-thru for a coffee then drive slowly past your ex-girlfriend's house revving the engine? Ok.. take all that away from your initial range and you're set!"  Okay, it's not that bad, but I'm in the auto industry and I never resist the chance to use a car metaphor.

Exiting the SOI after a mission to return home IS game-breaking when the expectation of adherence to basic orbital mechanics is in place. Sure, the methods suggested here all work and have worked but WHY? As others have said, this is a basic necessity for a space simulator and has worked for a decade in V1. Missing this in the next bug fix will be very costly to the long-term viability. 

I've been relatively silent on KSP2 since launch,  and I am happy for the huge list of bugs being fixed. But, I am concerned that the game engine has flaws hidden deep within the codebase that will make bringing this to maturity a challenge. I've played KSP1 a lot. Like seriously. I've seen bugs in KSP2 that haven't been addressed that I saw in KSP1 1.4.3. Weirdo bugs that cause vessels to flip out or physics to collapse into spaghetti, all fixed before KSP1 1.12.x. If these still exist in KSP2, what other ghosts in the machine are there?

27 minutes ago, DAFATRONALDO2007 IN SPACE said:

Even better, the patch 3 might drop by end of April given the 3 week interval between Patch 1 and 2. And who knows, maybe there's heating!

Or it'll be the end of May. Really, there's no way to tell when Patch 3 will drop

• I assume there's a "bug pipeline" that was being worked on even before EA was released.  That can explain the fast turnaround on bug fixing, but that pipeline is rapidly being depleted at the moment
  • In addition, easy bugs are quickly fixed; that leaves the harder ones that take more time
  • There is no doubt that the priority is to "stop the bleeding" — players not enjoying or even not being able to play the game. Obviously fixes need to come out sooner than later but as more issues are being addressed, the need for rapid publishing diminishes
  • The end goal is the roadmap and merely fixing bugs isn't going to get us there. Hence new features like flowers and building lighting, and we'll see more and more of that

So if Patch 3 contains more feature updates, less life-or-death bug fixes (and the bugs take more time to fix) there's no need to hang on to a tight 3-week schedule. I'd conservatively estimate mid May at the soonest, maybe even end of May.

Some content has been removed due to:

• personal attacks
  • off-topic content
  • arguing about arguing

Folks, the topic here is the KSP2 v0.1.2.0 patch.  If you have something to say about that patch, then great!  You're on topic. :)

The following, however, are not on topic and are not allowed here:

1. What you think about other posters' behavior or attitude
  2. What you think about the way other people choose to make their points
  3. Anything that's not directly related to this patch.

#1 and #2 aren't allowed anywhere in the forum, because they're against the rules.  If you've got something for #3 that's otherwise rule-abiding, feel free to spin up your own thread to discuss it, but this thread isn't the place.

Thank you for your understanding.

1 hour ago, The Aziz said:

Why did you just copy patch notes that are already present on the forum?

Expedited Damage Control.

Same thing is happening  at the Steam Forums, where  I put up a few thoughtful replies to some frustrated players, replies that a publisher might not entirely like, nothing against the Dev team, nothing rude, confrontational or in anyway violating  any terms.  Woke up this morning and the replies within the threads were gone.  Cherry Picked out of the thread.  No warning, just a general notification that my replies were deleted.

Edited by Buzz313th

Bugfixes are not that impressive considering they are not supposed to be in the game to begin with. Its kinda like if I pooped my pants, and then cleaned it afterwards. You'd probably think "yeah, you might want to do that"