KSP2 EA Grand Discussion Thread.

James Kerman

9 minutes ago, regex said:

Oh sorry, I deleted my account because I couldn't use RIF anymore. vOv

I almost deleted but Lemmy doesn’t cover all communities I frequent well yet. Basically Reddit is just another KSP forum for me.

Apollo user here, but yeah anything is was better than their native app.

Edited by moeggz

4 hours ago, Superfluous J said:

Naw all you need is 100% transparency, 100% accuracy, and 100% ability to see the future.

Also it helps if you've got good grammar.

Transparency for sure: "Our spec is this, we're at this point right now, anything that doesn't make it by around this date won't be part of the final product unless stated otherwise". Considering the normal development process for features (spec > prototype > design lockdown > development > implementation, YMMV), you should definitely know at least what do you want from the feature.

After that, a simple "We're aiming for Early [month] at the earliest possible and only if everything goes perfectly".  Also I'll just tangentially remind you that nobody got mad at the current delay. Sure, there's the usual questioning of how an allegedly very critical bug goes undetected until 2 weeks before release but that's normal.

I'm also gonna repeat what @moeggz said regarding these kinds of ad absurdum replies: "I think such exaggerations are unhelpful and are a big part of the reason the forums are such an unwelcoming place. "

8 hours ago, moeggz said:

On the subject of EA, if you would like, please share your votes on where we will be in 6 months on the 1 year anniversary of launch below. 

it’s a Reddit poll, so not really super scientific but I’m trying to do my due diligence and at least try and get a broader spectrum of responses than just the Reddit. Thanks for considering!

The poll

8 hours ago, moeggz said:

Sadly, based on current performance, at most I think we’ll see the Science Update in 6 Months, and I call that on the optimistic side. Unless it’s an EA of Science :lol:

Now about this next patch. 
Seeing as it’s announced for next week, Is there concrete information somewhere about exactly what it’s going to contain? Which bug fixes and which new parts or features if the case?

Edited by GGG-GoodGuyGreg

I think we should pay more attention to the 'recurrent spending' line and them mentioning it together with games (including mobile) that rely a lot of in-game purchases. That should be worrying for us, and deserves clarification as it contradicts what we were told before about the business model of the game.

5 hours ago, GGG-GoodGuyGreg said:

Which bug fixes and which new parts or features if the case?

Already confirmed by Dakota on here and Discord that the next patch is bugfixes only... No new parts, features or reasons to get excited apparently.

Edited by TickleMyMary

2 hours ago, MarcAbaddon said:

I think we should pay more attention to the 'recurrent spending' line and them mentioning it together with games (including mobile) that rely a lot of in-game purchases. That should be worrying for us, and deserves clarification as it contradicts what we were told before about the business model of the game.

They’ve reiterated many times that KSP 2 will not contain micro transactions. 

5 minutes ago, TickleMyMary said:

Already confirmed by Dakota on here and Discord that the next patch is bugfixes only... No new parts, features or reasons to get excited apparently.

Thats good, as bug fixes are the top item negatively affecting player experience. The sooner the game feels smooth and playable the sooner more interesting things can get added. 

35 minutes ago, Pthigrivi said:

Thats good, as bug fixes are the top item negatively affecting player experience. The sooner the game feels smooth and playable the sooner more interesting things can get added. 

I'm just hesitant to take the claim of no microtransactions at face value, even with an outright explicit statement like what Dakota has given.

Not to be baselessly doomerist, but just based on how I've seen some of the things in the past they've claimed twisted from what many have expected,

I could definitely see them releasing paid content that they can technically argue isn't a microtransaction, but which nevertheless toes the line close enough to leave people feeling betrayed.

I understand there's no way to know right now how things will turn out, but I just want to say ahead of time I hope the communication about how this topic will be handled will be clear, comprehensive and above all unambiguous 

Edited by Stoup

1 hour ago, Pthigrivi said:

They’ve reiterated many times that KSP 2 will not contain micro transactions

Pity. Micro transactions would add some realism to the game. Space exploration costs money, you know?

Veterans could also take advantage of multiplayer, and sell more exotic resources for real cash. 

32 minutes ago, cocoscacao said:

Pity. Micro transactions would add some realism to the game. Space exploration costs money, you know?

Veterans could also take advantage of multiplayer, and sell more exotic resources for real cash. 

Nah only Macro transactions would do that

sadly I dont think many of us here have millions of dollars

I don't know what's worse

Reddit or steam forums.

Either way, the poll results are going to be on the weird side.

As for microtransactions... Items, bundles, in-game currency. That's not gonna happen. Feature packs, new content, also called dlcs, aren't out of the question, never were.

4 hours ago, Pthigrivi said:

And we go back to the circles: You expect people to believe that from the same guys that stated re-entry heating was gonna be in on release, and then "shortly after", plus all of the already sourced claims they failed to fulfill. Good thing we're not supposed to take anything they say at face value since those are not promises, right?

Can't have the cake and eat it. Either their words are trustable, or they aren't. So far, facts have more often than not failed to align with anything they say.

3 minutes ago, GGG-GoodGuyGreg said:

Thanks, Did they say which bug fixes and I somehow missed it?

This is the last bug status report. Of course it doesn't mean that any of those bugs are gonna make it, since compromise is always assumed to be 0.

3 minutes ago, PDCWolf said:

This is the last bug status report. Of course it doesn't mean that any of those bugs are gonna make it, since compromise is always assumed to be 0.

Thanks, I was aware of that weeks old list, but I too think that is a very rough estimation of what may or may not make it into the update. 
I thought we were past this ambiguity by now.

I still don’t know why this lack of clear communication is still here,

I think any team should be able to know where they will be at in 1 week and what will make it in the patch, at least based on the experience of delivering the previous patches.

4 minutes ago, GGG-GoodGuyGreg said:

Thanks, I was aware of that weeks old list, but I too think that is a very rough estimation of what may or may not make it into the update. 
I thought we were past this ambiguity by now.

I still don’t know why this lack of clear communication is still here,

I think any team should be able to know where they will be at in 1 week and what will make it in the patch, at least based on the experience of delivering the previous patches.

New bug status should come out today... supposedly. Lack of communication at this point is nothing but lack of professionalism.

4 hours ago, cocoscacao said:

Eh I don't know. It's a philosophical thing but to me KSP is more about creativity and overcoming physics challenges rather monetization. People can make cool things and share the designs because they're cool in and of themselves. I wouldn't want to see in-game let alone real-world currency come into it. Im perfectly happy to see paid DLCs after the 1.0 though. 

4 hours ago, Stoup said:

I understand there's no way to know right now how things will turn out, but I just want to say ahead of time I hope the communication about how this topic will be handled will be clear, comprehensive and above all unambiguous 

How much more clearer or more unambiguous than “there will be no microtransactions” can it get?

Microtransactions in a singleplayer game with so many players? There is a completely different audience here, even in multiplayer it is unlikely that anyone will buy a skin for kerbals. Only there will be a lot of noise, but no profit. In addition, then the developers will need to make a store in the game, I'm afraid it's difficult for them.

On 8/24/2023 at 9:10 AM, Periple said:

They burned themselves badly by overhyping the initial release. I think it’s only natural that their reaction is not to do it again, even if it means saying nothing.

They did not over-hype the initial release. Quite the contrary.

Also I don't see anyone excited that the ...

Spoiler

...kraken at the bottom of the sea was confirmed.

(search for the temple if you want to be spoiled)

Edited by Vl3d

2 hours ago, Periple said:

How much more clearer or more unambiguous than “there will be no microtransactions” can it get?

The statement itself? Completely unambiguous, sure.

My point is that I have very diminished faith in the spirit of such statements, rather than in what they literally say.

The line has been toed on technicalities before, and I only mean to day that I don't trust it won't be toed again