KSP2 EA Grand Discussion Thread.

James Kerman

Oh boy, I didn't have to much to complain about the exploreability of the current terrain (except for falling through it from time to time) I'm really liking the terrain works in progress. I'm looking forward to the terrain, heating and science.

2 hours ago, jebycheek said:

That looks cheap, like a five years old's drawing, please don't use that as final...

Noted and disregarded.

P.S. I presume you had no problem with Squad leaving artefacts in their re-entry effects for the decade that it's been implemented in KSP 1, and furthermore leaving additional effects implemented but disabled for no reason.

4 hours ago, The Aziz said:

Read the text at the top.

Doesn't say "excempt from opinions" on my screen, is yours broken?

2 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

Noted and disregarded.

I like how you disregard someone elses opinion and immediately argue that somehow the guy HAS TO BE some kind of KSP1 shill.

I'm not. And i also thinks it looks like the splash screen for a cheap mobile/flash game. At best.

In case this isn't quite obvious, now is exactly the right time to state an opinion. You know, being early access and stuff, while things are still work in progress. And in case something else isn't obvious: you don't get to disregard anything. His opinion is as valid and valuable as yours. 

No need to turn this into an 11 page argument either, save it. He doesn' like it, sucks to be someone who does and vice versa. That's it.

31 minutes ago, m4inbrain said:
3 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

Noted and disregarded.

I like how you disregard someone elses opinion and immediately argue that somehow the guy HAS TO BE some kind of KSP1 shill.

I'm not. And i also thinks it looks like the splash screen for a cheap mobile/flash game. At best.

You missed the part where they said "like a five year old's drawing", as if that's constructive at all.

32 minutes ago, m4inbrain said:

In case this isn't quite obvious, now is exactly the right time to state an opinion.

You're free to defend whoever you like, but if a friend of yours presented a piece of art they drew and asked for criticism and opinions, and all you had to say is "That looks cheap, like a five years old's drawing, it's like it came from a cheap flash game", trying to peddle it as an opinion wouldn't be a good look. You're better off just admitting you have nothing helpful to add and that it's best kept to yourself.

I'm absolutely an advocate of constructive criticism, but with all due respect, neither of you have said anything of constructive nature.

36 minutes ago, m4inbrain said:

No need to turn this into an 11 page argument either, save it.

Let's see what happens then.

38 minutes ago, m4inbrain said:

Doesn't say "excempt from opinions" on my screen, is yours broken?

It says "exempt from people being abrasive instead of constructive".

It probably can be a two way vehicle. Once you explore enough of the new system to harvest and process resources for a return trip, that is. But comms are out of question, by the time you reach the edge of Kerbol SOI, any information would travel longer than a year in one direction. You could say that there's no plan to introduce signal delay, I say that it can be handwaved within the system, the distances are insignificant, but further out if the signal was instantaneous, I would get a question mark above my head.

1 hour ago, Scarecrow71 said:

I don't see how it can be, as star systems are light years apart.  My guess is an interstellar craft is on a one-way journey and has to be self sufficient.

There's no light delay for radio signals within the Kerbol system. Why would there be outside it? Antenna reach could be a different issue though.

Interstellar communication is possible with radio arrays, probably even more so with lasers. The question IMO is if the developers will allow realistic comms ranges or if the biggest antennas vessels (and maybe even colonies) can be equipped with will have ranges insufficient for interstellar comms in order to compensate for a lack of delay.

1 hour ago, Bej Kerman said:

Interstellar communication is possible with radio arrays, probably even more so with lasers. The question IMO is if the developers will allow realistic comms ranges or if the biggest antennas vessels (and maybe even colonies) can be equipped with will have ranges insufficient for interstellar comms in order to compensate for a lack of delay.

Think of the consequences of interstellar trips being one-way trips without communication though; effectively sending a ship to another system then effectively starting a new game with a "seed vessel" instead of on Kerbin. In which case the transfer could simply be "magic" and tadaa—you're in a new system.

We know that's likely not the case; devs have been very clear that one of the problems they had to solve was tracking locations while in interstellar travel, and the fact that the Kerbol system has an SOI also suggests something in that direction (although that might be a weak argument; leaving the Kerbol SOI might simply trigger "interstellar travel.")

And maybe that's where colonies come into play. Like you mentioned, a huge radio array could be required for system-to-system communication, and it's use could be exchanging science (although that effectively means that gameplay in each system could be its own little sandbox and not one gigantic galaxy)

4 hours ago, Kerbart said:

Think of the consequences of interstellar trips being one-way trips without communication though; effectively sending a ship to another system then effectively starting a new game with a "seed vessel" instead of on Kerbin

That's the idea. See dev video about interstellar travel (ep 5?). The mothership is your home base until you build the first structures on chosen body.

54 minutes ago, Superfluous J said:

So you research Massive Drive Engine MDE37.

When can a colony 10ly away start building it?

My guess: Immediately.

One thing that occurs to me is that the Munarches might not be stargates: they might be ansibles.  Magic FTL travel might be a terrible fit for the game, but magic FTL comms might be a better fit for the gameplay>realism folks…

2 hours ago, Superfluous J said:

So you research Massive Drive Engine MDE37.

When can a colony 10ly away start building it?

My guess: Immediately.

Oh yet another reason why the planned science system is so flawed.

In my mind, I would need exoplanetary science to even be able to start researching and developing an exotic engine that wasn't possible without heading out to the stars. Even if it was researched, a colony lightyears away wouldn't be able to construct it because of lack of materials.

35 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

Even if it was researched, a colony lightyears away wouldn't be able to construct it because of lack of materials.

I think the resource system will be the meat and potatoes of progression. If it works, the game will be endlessly fun even with bare-bones science and other systems!

22 hours ago, Wheehaw Kerman said:

One thing that occurs to me is that the Munarches might not be stargates: they might be ansibles.  Magic FTL travel might be a terrible fit for the game, but magic FTL comms might be a better fit for the gameplay>realism folks…

Yes for the idea! I do not think that a realistic communication system limited by light speed would be good, since that would force players to pre-code all the controls when doing long-range missions. In fact, I do no even want travel speeds to be limited by relativity, knowing that it would take years to travel between star systems at minimum.

2 hours ago, Alpha_star said:

[...] In fact, I do no even want travel speeds to be limited by relativity, knowing that it would take years to travel between star systems at minimum.

Now that you mention it, it occurs to me that traveling to a new star system would be very much like a NewGame+. The time you need to travel to the new star system can be used to discover every last bit of the Kerbol System. And when you are done, your interstellar ship will reach the new system where you start from scratch, with all unlocked parts available :o