Patch v0.1.4.0 Patch Timing Update

Dakota

• Community Manager

Last week, our team identified a critical performance issue with our candidate build for Patch v0.1.4.0 for KSP2 that was planned to release today. At that time, we ultimately decided to delay the patch until we could fix said issue.

We have implemented a fix and are verifying the changes. We are targeting early next week for the release of v0.1.4.0.

15 minutes ago, Dakota said:

Last week, our team identified a critical performance issue with our candidate build for Patch v0.1.4.0 for KSP2 that was planned to release today. We ultimately decided to delay the patch until we could fix said issue.

We have implemented a fix and are verifying the changes. We are targeting early next week for the release of v0.1.4.0.

Also Additional Infomation. 

QSKuDsk.png

I would have loved to hear this on the day of the delay even just "Heavy loss of framerate on different PC configs, don't know the amount".

also from discord..

Edited by Stephensan
:3

1 hour ago, DunaManiac said:

Good to know. My one question is how come this post was released today, rather than on the day that the delay was announced on twitter?

Because claiming in advance that it will take x days to fix a bug will cause disappointment if it takes longer.

2 hours ago, Stephensan said:

I would have loved to hear this on the day of the delay even just "Heavy loss of framerate on different PC configs, don't know the amount".

It's possible that yesterday they didn't know the amount.

2 hours ago, Alexoff said:

I hope fixing this problem will not lead to some other breakdown.

I mean does that not go without saying? If someone hoped otherwise that would be pretty weird.

5 hours ago, Kerbart said:

Because claiming in advance that it will take x days to fix a bug will cause disappointment if it takes longer.

Extrapolating this to the wider goings on with KSP 2 and it becomes very obvious why KSP 1 almost never announced release dates beforehand. You'd wake up one day and be like "Oh, 0.22 is out! Nice!"

Unless I've missed something, it's still unclear if this issue is/was related to thermal system or not. Are we getting performance boost for those (again unspecified) areas of gameplay available so far, or something that'll come along later? 

9 minutes ago, jebycheek said:

Half year, no new content.

on yeah, "things will only get better"

Don't worry that's something that bothers at least some people here. I still can't believe the total silence regarding science and progression. 

5 minutes ago, cocoscacao said:

Unless I've missed something, it's still unclear if this issue is/was related to thermal system or not. Are we getting performance boost for those (again unspecified) areas of gameplay available so far, or something that'll come along later? 

Don't think there's anything with regard to thermal system being implemented. As far as I was aware it's purely bug fixing.

10 hours ago, Superfluous J said:

It's possible that yesterday they didn't know the amount.

I mean does that not go without saying? If someone hoped otherwise that would be pretty weird.

they still can say that there was heavy fps loss on certain computer configs and they don't know the extent of performance loss and machines effected..

instead of delaying it and saying nothing until the date of release.

then by 22nd they could do more detailed of 15-20% performance loss and that amount of fps loss in unacceptable and that is the reason they delayed it.

I feel like a week to test one fix is a bit of a long time unless new stuff is getting worked into the update. I understand not wanting to introduce new problems but at what point is it a bit overcautious? 

1 hour ago, Stephensan said:

they still can say that there was heavy fps loss on certain computer configs and they don't know the extent of performance loss and machines effected..

Wasn't that implied by "performance issue"? Performance issue means loss of fps.

3 hours ago, Nicrose said:

I feel like a week to test one fix is a bit of a long time unless new stuff is getting worked into the update. I understand not wanting to introduce new problems but at what point is it a bit overcautious? 

Players: "Why does QA take so long? Couldn't this have been done quicker?"

Also Players: "Was this game even QA'd? This bug is obvious."

QA takes time, especially in a game as complex as KSP. And yes, of course development continues and other fixes may be added but those need to be QA'd as well, and in conjunction with the new fixes, and so on.

9 hours ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Extrapolating this to the wider goings on with KSP 2 and it becomes very obvious why KSP 1 almost never announced release dates beforehand. You'd wake up one day and be like "Oh, 0.22 is out! Nice!"

I think that communication style was more socially acceptable because HarvestR didn’t hype up the full release of KSP 1 for 4 years before releasing an alpha EA for $50.

46 minutes ago, regex said:

QA takes time, especially in a game as complex as KSP. And yes, of course development continues and other fixes may be added but those need to be QA'd as well, and in conjunction with the new fixes, and so on.

I think when players make the point that bugs are game breaking and obvious and ask about QA they’re really asking why the game needed to be released in its current state, given that they don’t really need much player feedback yet.

Also, I would be supportive of a stable and unstable build. Or just an unstable build, because let’s call a duck a duck, this is an EARLY EARLY ACCESS not a polished experience, even with extensive QA testing. You might think, “Well, for $50 I would expect some QA testing,” but that’s more of an indication that the price is wrong, not the QA.

Just now, VlonaldKerman said:

they’re really asking why the game needed to be released in its current state

That's not even in my rearview anymore, I have no idea why people are still going on about it because clearly Intercept aren't going to be giving us an answer if they haven't already.

58 minutes ago, regex said:

Honestly I feel like I was a lot more polite about the issue and that this is boiling what I originally said down to an opinion of your own about how other people on here feel. I’m just saying that if a game patch ALMOST makes it to release but something holds it up, one whole week seems like a lot of time to test the implemented fix. I’m not trying to come off as whiney like your interpretation and I’m sorry if that’s how you read it. 

2 minutes ago, Nicrose said:

one whole week seems like a lot of time

Looking back at KSP1 v0.25, would the world be much different today if it had been released on October 7, 2014, instead of October 14, 2014?

Spoiler

Trick question, October 7, 2014 was the real release date. If you didn't remember that, that's the point.

Unfortunately sometimes QA uncovers issues far later in the process than is ideal. I understand the frustrations regarding the fact that here is yet another delay being provided by the team, but given the history this title has had regarding how terrible previous patches have been about introducing new bugs that in some ways worse than the bugs squashed I feel like the team probably made the right call here. They have to work on rebuilding trust that they can release a patch or upgrade with quality that doesn't make an already terrible experience even worse. They can't begin to do this rushing more patches they know to be bad... It's sucks that once again the delay was required, but at least the team is starting to correctly assess the situation they are in and how best to maneuver within it. Is it a perfect situation, no. Could they do worse? I think we've all seen the answer to that question several times now.