What do you think about Kerbal Space Program 2? I've wonder does the game will ever get full release after Take-Two closed its dev studio?

Given the activity on Steam and the fact that some folk are still in employment until the end of the month, I think it almost certain that there will be a final patch.

Nate promised a 0.2.2.0 was on the way - (implication - no progress on the roadmap, just fixes to For Science!) and there was also a steer that a 0.2.3.0 was also planned shortly before the bombshell. All bets are off on the latter now.

The final patch might be called 0.2.2.0, or there may be commercial reasons for calling it 1.0.0.0. But I think anything beyond fixes for the content we have now is wishful thinking.

I would at least expect 0.2.2 to come since another month would definitely be enough for IG to finish on some bugfixes. 0.2.3? I don't know, probably would come out but likely won't be much. As for colonies, I have no clue, but I suppose they would release a bare-bones version of it and then fix the bugs at a slow rate (by slow I mean 2x slower than previously).
The game will live on, we know that, but in which way we don't know.

Does anyone in their right mind really believe that T2 is going to put money into advancing the KSP2 fiasco when it still has to deal with the layoffs, rents and unpaid bills of the guys who managed the project poorly? SERIOUSLY? 

N2wB.gif

3 hours ago, Alpha_star said:

I would at least expect 0.2.2 to come since another month would definitely be enough for IG to finish on some bugfixes.

I don't disagree with this...but I'm wondering if it will be 0.2.2.  Could they just label this 1.0 and be done with it?

Whatever drops after the end of June, they could call it KSP 3++ Super Enhanced Pro Intergalactic HyperSpace Edition 99.3. It wouldn't change the content.

1 hour ago, Vexillar said:

Whatever drops after the end of June, they could call it KSP 3++ Super Enhanced Pro Intergalactic HyperSpace Edition 99.3. It wouldn't change the content.

Maybe the new studio get it's

I wonder why they abandoning it?

I've been quiet on the current situation, mainly because I saw this coming over a year ago. I haven't opened KSP2 in over a year and apathy set in soon after, but I have put another 200+ hours into KSP1.

KSP2 is dead. It was dead before it released into EA, or more accurately, was released into EA because it was dead. T2 scammed us out of $50 with no intention of ever completing it. The game is a money pit. T2 won't spend any more on it and no one else would want it even if they gave it away.

I want a refund. I won't get one (that's not how scams work) so I will do the only sensible thing and never buy anything from T2, or anyone assosciated with T2, ever again. I learned a lesson from the money I wasted on KSP2 and have already saved as much by not getting Cities: Skylines 2. I'll save further on GTA6 and much more on future games I won't be buying.

Honestly, it seems to me that the gaming industry is in crisis. We can't have a big release without some form of controversy, at least not the games I pay attention to. KSP2 left such a bad taste in my mouth I haven't bought a game since. I've gone back to older stuff (currently enjoying the Fallout 4 nexg gen update). The only game on my radar right now is Kit Hack because it looks like fun and HarvesteR said in the Matt Lowne interview that if it was successful he may consider another rocket game next. Who knows, maybe he will be able to buy back the Kerbal IP, T2 have destroyed any value it currently has.

22 minutes ago, Turbo Ben said:

KSP2 is dead. It was dead before it released into EA, or more accurately, was released into EA because it was dead.

This is the most succinct summary I've seen. 

Posted (edited)

As a reply directly to the title:

KSP2 was an attempt at quickly cashing on a beloved franchise by modernizing it and shipping some of the most popular mods as default features. However, it ended up aiming for sub-mediocre quality on everything, not just out of releasing a product riddled with the most egregious bugs that 14 months later hadn't even been fully fixed (remember decay?), but also by making every feature an overly streamlined, puddle depth yawner. All of that mounted on a foundation even flimsier than the first game, with the privilege of letting us relive all the limitations and mistakes made during the prequel. That's what I think about KSP2.

"Full Release" might be a thing. I'm still thinking they'll release whatever they can scrap together as "1.0" as soon as they can and call it a day. KSP2 is dead, the KSP franchise is dead, and thanks to IGN yesterday we also discovered that not only is it dead but not even the most parasitic publishers want to buy it and it did so bad it helped take down Private Division. Further on, I don't think I'll ever be ready for whatever garbage might spawn with the name some 5 to 20 years down the line if anything ever does.

Edited by PDCWolf

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Turbo Ben said:

KSP2 is dead.

It was dead at inception.  (A small number of people knew that at the start, too, which simply means that it was 'knowable'.)

6 hours ago, Turbo Ben said:

I haven't bought a game since.

Wrongthink[1].  I bought Factorio (thanks to @Bej Kermaninadvertently plugging it)  The ('gaming') community there is probably just as bad a set of self-entitled children consumers (some of them complaining about the future expansion pack) as you can find  but...  I'm not interested in its forum anyway except for solving problems.  (I posted once and got good response.)

I am not and will never be done with KSP1 but I have had it forever with the KSP2 whining.  Self-inflicted wound of  unrealistic expectations and get over it or suffer mentally forever.  (And I direct this to the whole "KSP2 crowd"; not anyone in particular who has posted here.)

[1] video game junkies are serial fanatics : 50$ for 3-6 months -- so just move on and stop expecting sympathy.

Edited by Hotel26

Posted (edited)

I bought Dyson Sphere Program last year, this satisfies my space nerd needs. Reentry is also a very good simulation.

Might as well make a "what are you playing instead of KSP2" thread, if there isn't one yet. edit: there is, somewhat related:

Edited by hendrack

Haven't been on the forum or played KSP2 in nearly a year, so I can only speak as an almost-pure outsider. This doesn't help me in regard to the value of KSP2, but it does give me an in on its visibility, and how that contrasts with KSP1's own meteoritic rise.

So, KSP2 is not dead, it was just buried alive, and everyone is pretending nothing happened. Heck, I learned about IG getting snuffed yesterday (and only because I was looking for a solution for something KSP1-related). Even though I still get up to date news on every other related fields (space, gaming, game dev, general sciences, etc. etc.), I basically forgot KSP2 even existed for months on end.
Personally, for the little time I cared enough to give it attention, KSP2 has done nothing but cause displeasure, at best. Everyone gave up on it, and I absolutely understand why.

After the KSP-2 with its insane system requirements, they should make the KSP-3 this way to make buying it.

Spoiler

220px-BBC_Micro_Elite_screenshot.png

A 48k big KSP: ZX Edition would be great.

Also, next time they should choose the proper, experienced showrunners.

Spoiler

shutterstock_editorial_10186832os.jpg?w=

On 6/8/2024 at 7:21 PM, kerbiloid said:

After the KSP-2 with its insane system requirements, they should make the KSP-3 this way to make buying it.

Hide contents

220px-BBC_Micro_Elite_screenshot.png

A 48k big KSP: ZX Edition would be great.

Also,next time they should choose the proper, experienced showrunners.

Hide contents

Spoiler

Well there actually is a great free Software Renditition  of the classic Elite: oolite is absilable for free on Mac, win and linux. It has upgrades graphics ( of course still a far cry from current AAA games but also a lot less Hardware requirements) and active modding community.

https://oolite.space/

For anybody who don't know it: Give it a try, it's way more fun than argueing in a forum :)

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Iapetus7342 said:

The game will likely release 0.2.2 and then development will cease. Sad, but it's the truth.

Which is where we are at right now.  0.2.2 was released at the beginning of June...and nothing since.  I know people have said that the development branches are being updated on Steam, but I'm not putting any stock in that.