[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

On 4/9/2024 at 12:45 PM, AdrianDogmeat said:

Comet HLLV - First Lunar Outpost

QjPDKyL.png

abbSU89.png

F5X5eBL.png

KmPnTNk.png

Xzqd5MS.png

wawibhc.png

g1jC2aB.png

Vp7XiZm.png

Oh that looks great. How did you make the tanks and engine mounts all white though? Looks really slick without the markings.

1 hour ago, Taco Salad said:

Oh that looks great. How did you make the tanks and engine mounts all white though? Looks really slick without the markings.

Yeah I agree, @CobaltWolf pretty please could we have at least a white color variation for Saturn parts?

Also, I can't tell if this is just a bug on my end, or if it's an oversight. But the Kane-11-MSM payload bay cover weighs about 700 kg, which is rather substantial in my opinion.
Tested both in the VAB and in the pad, 700kg lost on it being jettisoned. 

6 hours ago, Taco Salad said:

It's from a patch someone made on discord

For those of you interested in the X-15 (who isn’t???), I can highly recommend the book Hypersonic:  The Story of the North American X-15  by Dennis R. Jenkins and Tony Landis.  It is THE authoritative reference to the aircraft and program, no other book on the subject is necessary, except perhaps for their companion book, the X-15 Photo Scrapbook, a collection of photographs that they weren’t able to fit into the book. Both books are out of print, but copies can be found for reasonable prices. Jenkins is also the author of the three volume magnum opus Space Shuttle: Developing an Icon  1972-2013.  The X-15 book has an exhausting amount of detail, but is well written and readable.

23 hours ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

Can this not still be done via the Extras patch?

It's actually a tag applied to the individual collider objects in Unity, and can't be changed from cfg or in game at all.

20 hours ago, Legolas5533 said:

The payload bay behind the cockpit would be very useful for general experiment storage, especially if it's a cargo bay of sorts (satelite deployment comes to mind too). Same goes for the rear. The wingtips would be very good mounting points for missiles weather experiments and are especially easy to access and possibly replace on EVA on the ground (or even maybe in space). Just a thought. You do what you think is best, all of the options are great.

I should clarify - I'm making experiments for each location, I'm just not sure how many or specifically what.

WGVfHBz.pngZNi9e7v.png

8 hours ago, Taco Salad said:

7 hours ago, Entr8899 said:

Yeah I agree, @CobaltWolf pretty please could we have at least a white color variation for Saturn parts?

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh if I have any productive time in the near future it's going to be getting X-15 stuff in game. Which seems like it will be wayyyyy more work than I expected.

6 hours ago, Taco Salad said:

Also, I can't tell if this is just a bug on my end, or if it's an oversight. But the Kane-11-MSM payload bay cover weighs about 700 kg, which is rather substantial in my opinion.
Tested both in the VAB and in the pad, 700kg lost on it being jettisoned. 

That's... interesting. I'll have to take a look.

1 hour ago, DaveyJ576 said:

For those of you interested in the X-15 (who isn’t???), I can highly recommend the book Hypersonic:  The Story of the North American X-15  by Dennis R. Jenkins and Tony Landis.  It is THE authoritative reference to the aircraft and program, no other book on the subject is necessary, except perhaps for their companion book, the X-15 Photo Scrapbook, a collection of photographs that they weren’t able to fit into the book. Both books are out of print, but copies can be found for reasonable prices. Jenkins is also the author of the three volume magnum opus Space Shuttle: Developing an Icon  1972-2013.  The X-15 book has an exhausting amount of detail, but is well written and readable.

Thanks for the tip - managed to snag a copy for $16. I also have a copy of The X-15 Rocket Plane: Flying the First Wings into Space by Michelle Evans. I tried reading a few pages in bed before I turned off the lights, next thing I knew it was 1am. It's much more focused on the people involved in the program than the technical details.

3 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

It's actually a tag applied to the individual collider objects in Unity, and can't be changed from cfg or in game at all.

Ohh, whoops then I've misunderstood what Extras\AtlasSurfaceAttach\AtlasSurfaceAttach.cfg does ... likely because I've never used it. Changing attachRules values seemed plausible.

5 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

I should clarify - I'm making experiments for each location, I'm just not sure how many or specifically what.

That russglish... I should repost it to some of my friends.
It's like a new peak for twisting russian language. 
It hurts physically and should be banned as psychoweapon

Edited by ra4nd0m

1 hour ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

Ohh, whoops then I've misunderstood what Extras\AtlasSurfaceAttach\AtlasSurfaceAttach.cfg does ... likely because I've never used it. Changing attachRules values seemed plausible.

The unity tag is used only on the base tank to prevent surface attach on most of it while allowing it where the LR101 attaches. The other extension tanks all use the regular config rules.

Edited by Zorg

2 hours ago, ra4nd0m said:

That russglish... I should repost it to some of my friends.
It's like a new peak for twisting russian language. 
It hurts physically and should be banned as psychoweapon

You don't like the «APU Yekhnaust»? :cool:

@CobaltWolf If you wanna be really accurate with your Russglish, you could use the obsolete early-Cyrillic letter Ksi Ѯ to represent the English "ks" sound.

Edited by Entr8899

On 4/4/2024 at 11:49 PM, Rodger said:

Seems like it might be due to some other mod, as it’s unlikely to be something BDB would be affecting. Would need a full ksp.log to look into it either way.

how do i send a ksp log to you? i found it, i just dont know how to send it.

On 4/4/2024 at 11:49 PM, Rodger said:

Seems like it might be due to some other mod, as it’s unlikely to be something BDB would be affecting. Would need a full ksp.log to look into it either way.

also, its happening with non bdb cockpits

7 hours ago, hellothere___ said:

also, its happening with non bdb cockpits

You can zip the log and upload to something like Dropbox or google drive. However first, this is possibly just an issue with Tweakscale - if you have it, I’d suggest fully uninstalling it (and ksp recall) and installing Tweakscale Rescaled instead, it is much more stable than the other version.

17 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

What, like, on everything?

Yes please. I'd like to use X-15 like a space shuttle. Or at the bare minimum, a sub-orbital (100+ KM AP) glider

On 4/11/2024 at 8:39 AM, AdrianDogmeat said:

It's from a patch someone made on discord

Can you post it? Or at least link to the Discord message that has the patch?

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, The Dressian Exploder said:

Is it likely that you'll be doing other X-Planes in the future or is X-15 going to be a one-off?

I didn't really plan to make X-15, it just... came out of me one day. The thought of making an updated X-1 is kind of appealing, as is the family of cute little lifting bodies, but there's always lots I want to make and each thing takes more time than I'd like. Committing to making something means several months of dedication so I have to prioritize what I choose to work on.

Once X-15 is done, I really think I owe you all a Viking.

17 hours ago, Entr8899 said:

You don't like the «APU Yekhnaust»? :cool:

@CobaltWolf If you wanna be really accurate with your Russglish, you could use the obsolete early-Cyrillic letter Ksi Ѯ to represent the English "ks" sound.

At this point my specific process feels like such a tradition I can't change it: I go to this page, type what it should say in english, and copy whatever gets put on the other side. :) The fact that it results in gibberish is kind of the point - for one, you don't know what kerbal writing looks like! and two, it means any text that's baked into the textures is as meaningless for English readers as it is for everyone else.

5 hours ago, GoldForest said:

Yes please. I'd like to use X-15 like a space shuttle. Or at the bare minimum, a sub-orbital (100+ KM AP) glider

I'm not sure the X-15 is really... up to that task. But I'm sure people will make it happen regardless. I'd rather not make every part have an ablator module though. Among other things that would add... many tons to the weight of the craft. If someone really wanted to make an extras patch they could.

Spoiler

W1GAPnS.png

Made... some progress getting things in game? I can't promise anything but I'd hope to have something flyable in a week or two. This weekend is already shot for me unfortunately.

Edited by CobaltWolf
Forgot to link URL

18 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

I didn't really plan to make X-15, it just... came out of me one day. The thought of making an updated X-1 is kind of appealing, as is the family of cute little lifting bodies, but there's always lots I want to make and each thing takes more time than I'd like. Committing to making something means several months of dedication so I have to prioritize what I choose to work on.

Once X-15 is done, I really think I owe you all a Viking.

But but but....     Bwanananananananaaaa   *6 Million dollar man sounds*  :P

19 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

At this point my specific process feels like such a tradition I can't change it: I go to this page, type what it should say in english, and copy whatever gets put on the other side. :) The fact that it results in gibberish is kind of the point - for one, you don't know what kerbal writing looks like! and two, it means any text that's baked into the textures is as meaningless for English readers as it is for everyone else.

Agreed, it would actually break the feel of the whole mod and require EVERY texture be redone..   Given your IRL work and life takes much more of your time today then it did when you were a slacker getting a degree in Uni,  there is no need to waste the time.   And having some things in pure "American" (sorry we don't speak English in the US... or my former work vehicle would be a Lorry not a Van, I would put the groceries in the boot instead of the trunk.)   Or Russian... well it would break immersion for me.

On 4/11/2024 at 7:17 AM, Taco Salad said:

3 hours ago, bigyihsuan said:

Can you post it? Or at least link to the Discord message that has the patch?

Saturn "allWhite" Switch (from @sam25544 on discord, reuploaded with permission)

Place inside GameData\Bluedog_DB\Parts\Saturn\Paint